Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Our 2nd Family Ski Trip..doing it the right way around this time

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I would go for la Plagne: plenty of wide open blue runs and the black runs are certainly difficult to get on to by mistake. As above, you would get a good sense of travelling around. Reflex probably the best ski school but more expensive than Oxygene who are also good. We stayed in Plagne 1800 April 2011 and were happy for the two 13 year old girls in our group to use the bus to Plagne Centre - a sense of freedom but we knew there was not too much up there for them to get into trouble! For the older ones, the last bus from Plagne Centre is just after midnight so they are not likely to be too late and it would not be your fault about such restrictions! Loads of info on www.plagne.co.uk
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No nightlife for your girls in Are and very expensive.(£9 per glass of wine 2 years ago!) Better value in almost any French or Austrian resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I only have experience of La Plagne - as a worker for two years (coming up to three!) not on holiday. It does tick a lot of the boxes you've listed. You can also get the snow train to Aime or Bourg St Maurice which (if you aren't too far from London might be a good choice over flying?) and there are plenty of transfer companies about. The Apres is pretty good with stuff on early and late in many bars. Food is good (bloody fantastic if you are a cheese fan! LOL)

However, like many resorts in France the lifts are very busy in half term weeks. You can avoid the worst times - take a late or early lunch as there seems to be a 'gap' whilst the non Brit Europeans stop for a couple of hours at lunch. Know which areas to try and avoid on the way home (Bellecote does become quite a bottle neck at peak times but there is a bus that goes back to La Plagne if you can't face the queues at the end of the day - although that can get busy; and you can get back by other lifts if you plan it before hand!)

The pistes are a good combination of ability - some of the blues are a little steeper than you might think but if the kids do Ski School, they will do lessons down enough with steeper bits to get their confidence Very Happy

There are many apartments and Chalet Holiday Companies to choose from - and some big hotels too. Different villages to go to as well as Plagne Centre - Plagne 1800, Plagne Village, Aime 2000, Bellecote and surrounding villages - also some the other side of the mountain like Les Coches (although I don't know the Apres there?)

Good luck with choosing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having being skiing in finland twice in 2 years and hopefully this year its great . I went levi and the town is growing but small. Plenty of bars though . Most hotels or cabins are 5 minutes walk to the lifts . It can be cold -34 last year but mostly around -20 in febuary . The runs are good there are plenty of treelined runs amd greens especially on the south piste . The reds can be challeging as they are quite steep and narrow but are short but are not the level of the alps . I would recommend going
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hiya guys, just another update, I have discovered that I have quite a few BA air miles and can get to Lyon for near to nothing, just the taxes to be paid. So we are now looking at Easter 4 to 11 of April...so anyone have an idea which areas to head to for guaranteed snow & good , beginner to intermediate...sorry to be a pest...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Somewhere fairly high or with a good snow record, if not high. L2A would be ok. ADH snow may be getting well mushy by that stage. Doubtless some of the Austrian glacier resorts would be ok.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Doubtless some of the Austrian glacier resorts would be ok.

but they're a long way from Lyon. If you're flying to Lyon, I'd agree with dobby that Les Deux Alpes would be fine, Probably quite a lot of the resort would still have decent snow, and there's also high altitude skiing on the glacier.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Okee dokee, just confirmed flight bookings, managed to get 6 flights to Lyon on the old air miles, with 7 nights @ Haute Bois la Plange.. Still to decide whether to hire a minibus or do a transfer. I get the impression it may be a little better organised than earlier this year, but it remains to be seen...thanks for all the input & any suggestions welcomed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello SH's. ok, I'm just updating the thread & would appreciate some more advice. We had some air miles to use up & managed to get flights to Lyon for the 6 of us. Equally after much searching we decided to head to La Plagne and got an apartment in Aime 2000 @ Hauts Bois...I have downloaded a very handy piste map app and have located the position of the Apartment. Although we booked independently according to Crystal it is listed as ski in ski out so I'm hoping it will be ideal for us as relative newbies. My main questions are focusing around which will be the best runs to focus on. I am looking for nice wide blues which are not too steep to get the old ski legs back in good order, this will be the girls 2nd week of skiing, although they did go to Goslings last year and All managed to go down the very easy blue run @ la vormaine in Cham.my worst nightmare as a 3rd time skier is coming across Blues which are narrow and have huge drops over the side. This is me being paranoid more than the girls as I'm sure they will just crack on, but I'm a worrier. All advice is appreciated. Cheers James..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
grandunion, it might make for a more relaxed holiday to book yourselves into ski school. People tend to give up learning awfully quickly (there have been some recent threads about this). You can then forget about the girls, and just enjoy your own skiing.

Your choice of accommodations sounds great, but I've only ever skied in La Plagne once, some years ago. One of the many people with local knowledge could point you in the direction of a good ski school. All take lessons in the mornings, then ski together in the afternoons, in the areas where you've been with the instructors (who will also be happy to suggest other runs you might enjoy).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Pam, I have every intention of getting all of us more instruction, but can you believe my girls moaned in Chamonix when I got us all a family private lesson and they were convinced they didn't learn. I know for a fact they got a lot out of it, teenagers Eh....I quite like the idea of sticking them all in ski school but it could prove tricky as they are 19,18,15 & 10 and may be split up. However, I guess I could get them some private tuition and My OH and I could slip off Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm, yes, that age group can be tricky.

If it's only their second week skiing, unless they are all gifted natural athletes I'd be inclined to make it a condition of the week that they take some lessons - with the right instructor they could have a blast, and if they are all of a similar standard a couple of private lessons for the four of them could make a lot of sense. they'd do jumps, skiing backwards, nipping through the trees, stuff you probably wouldn't want to do and you and the OH could slip off knowing they were in good hands.

It can be a bit boring for bouncy teenagers who think they know everything to have to ski with slow old mum and dad. But a private lesson for all of you will have to go at your pace, not theirs, and however technically good will probably not appeal to them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy