Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Our 2nd Family Ski Trip..doing it the right way around this time

Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon SH's.
Earlier this year my OH & I decided to take our 4 daughters away on their 1st ever Skiing holiday. Unfortunately, I booked the holiday before discovering this forum, although we had a fantastic time, choosing Chamonix wasn't the ideal introduction, lesson learnt I guess...So, we have decided to go away again next year and I am going to do as much research as possible and take ALL advice seriously. This year we went to Cham around the second week in April but were lucky that there was a good dump of snow a few days before we arrived and another when we were there. We are looking to book possibly next Feb half term so hopefully the conditions will be a bit cooler and more snow on the ground. My main question is, where would you all recommend. I know this is asked loads on here but If I don't ask I don't learn as they say..our main requirements are. 1, lots of greens, blues & occasional reds, must be in as safe an environment as possible. 2, good standard of accommodation . 3, good food. 4, regarding location we are pretty easy, whether it be France ,Italy or Slovenia we are open to all suggestions, intact I was looking at Finland so we could be tempted by anywhere.5, the girls placed a huge importance about Après but infact didn't even venture out much in Chamonix, so as long as we had a few shops and the odd bar then it would be fine. 6, I booked everything independently which was very straight forward and easy but if the right package came along then so be it.
I know it's lots to ask and covers so much but don't be shy...ps, the girls are 10,14,17,19 just in case the Après was a concern
Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suggest that the best way is to read both of these books and work from there:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=%28hardy%2Ccadogan%29+skiing+guide
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=where+to+ski+and+snowboard

They list all the major resorts and compare them in various ways - like suitability for beginners.

If you want to go to France again then you might try this brochure:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1345470285_Guide_Station_BAT4-optimise.pdf
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
grandunion, I've booked my first family ski trip this year (as well as a sneaky 'boys' one) and after much research i decided to go for ADH. Ok, it's France so we know it is going to cost loads to eat or drink, hence the chalet, but it seemed to tick all of the boxes. Loads of greens at village level, things to do when the OH and LO get tired, and plenty of mountain for me to ski. Some other contenders were, La Tania, Obergurl and Alpach. So although i haven't ever done it before, i feel quite confident that i have done enough research and chosen the right resort, on paper at least. Just got to pay for it now!!!! Let us all know where you decide.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I slightly biased opinion, but here is another heads up for La Tania. Huge ski area with runs for all abilities. Lots of chalets within easy reach of the slopes and town centre. You can have reasonably priced food on the mountain if you ask your chalet hosts where to go or take pack lunches out. Apres ski is within easy reach and easy to get back from so you know the girls will never be far away.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for La Tania.

I know there are some 3v's not likey likey people around here for various reasons, but I am a big fan and La Tania is a pretty good place, if a very tiny bit limited in terms of Apres if you are are staying just in La T. Obviously 1850 or 1650 are a short taxi ride or drive away. There are some great runs back down into La Tania and your a couple of lifts away from access into the full 3 valleys.

based on a few shops and a bar criteria, then La Tania meets that, and you could always stop in 1850 if you want the full bling (and price tag to boot) experience.

BTW Le Passage in the Forum in 1850 is a great and not overly priced place to eat.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Tania is a favourite chez Piehole as well, but not sure if it might be a bit on the congested side at half-term? It's aimed very squarely at families and kids, and could well be rammed to capacity.

Based on the requirement for half-term, and the requirement for a lot of very easy or quite easy terrain, I'd probably suggest something like Cervinia.

Not sure about the Apres, but it ticks all the other boxes very nicely.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to suggest Alpe D'Huez. Plenty of green runs back to resort (more than anywhere I can think of) plus some nice blues and reds to try. Huge area, apres if you want it and not as expensive as some French resorts.

Les Deux Alpes would be fine as well, I learnt there.

Austria's great for apres and pretty villages, but I can't think of anywhere I've been to which has loads of green runs (that's not to say there isn't anywhere!).

A lot of people on here love the Dolomites but I've never been so can't comment.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 30-10-12 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
grandunion, Hope your planning goes well. Half term will be very busy in France, and therefore the accomodation etc will be more expensive. Availability may start to be an issue as well so I would suggest that you book soon if that is the week you go for.

As for resort La Tania is good for famililes and we have been there the last two years. It is quieter at night than some places, but of course that might suit you better than a lively place depending on what you want at night. If your only experience so far is Cham then La Tania would feel very different as it is a small purpose built village (built for the 1992 Olympics). If you dont want (or unable) to ski to Courchevel there are regular buses as well. The apres might be too quiet for the girls, but there is one British run pub that has lots going on. Have a look on www.latania.co.uk which gives you lots of info.

The 3vs has plenty of ski ing for all levels.

Another possible place would be Les Gets. Lower but should be ok in Feb. The local slopes have plenty of runs and the wider PDS area can be accessed as well - although a bit of a journey from Les Gets. It has the shops, bit more of a night life so might suit.

If you are going to DIY then have a look at the flight prices first. Half term can be expensive just on the flight depending on where you fly from and so available packages might give better value for that week.

As a family we have always gone to France for ski ing. Until they sort out the smoking in Austrian bars we wont go there. I dont know so much about Italy for ski ing.

Hope you find something soon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
as an add on, the half terms weeks in the UK are split between the week of the 11th of Feb and the 18th of Feb. IIRC the 18th of Feb joins up with French Half term but the 11th doesn't so will be quieter than the following week.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to clarify the dates or point you to the 'French Holiday dates' sticky, if you haven't found it already.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
grandunion, at the risk of repetition.......La Tania would tick the boxes all around Very Happy We are fully booked in all properties for half term, but posting a request on the Solutions Room on Chalets Direct should get you some responses. Great ski area, and I'd suggest the night life, although not Ibiza-like in it's variety or intensity, would be fine for your girls. Not far to get back from anywhere in the village to almost any accommodation either, so less of a worry for you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Both La Tania and Les Gets would be good. However, both will be rammed at half term, as will pretty well all French resorts - Les Gets particularly so, as it is so rightly popular with British families. Of those two, I'd therefore go for La Tania, but advice to try Italy is good. How about Pila - a small resort, gets v good write ups here.

You could find that it's quite late to be booking half term. Are you absolutely wedded to half term? It's expensive and busy. Easter is early this year, and will be less crowded and expensive.

If you ARE wedded to half term, I'd be inclined to go to Italy or Austria.

At quieter times of the year it's often a good idea to wait and book late, but not for half term, given the importance you attach to good accommodation - in some resorts, including Les Gets and La Tania, actually, you might find that all the best places are already booked for half term.

Are you looking to do a package holiday with a TO or travel DIY? Half-term flights are now mega-expensive (as are Easter flights, actually, I've been arranging a big family holiday for Easter, and those who have not yet booked flights are either driving, or giving up in the face of the cost of flights). Driving might be cheaper with a big family, though the traffic will inevitably be very heavy at half term. Easter should be fine - the French tend to give up skiing before Easter, though end March/early April is often very good snow cover and much nicer weather than mid-February. Last season wasn't typical.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,

My recommendations would be:

1. Les Carroz - lovely French village, short transfer time from Geneva, the Grand Massif is a great ski domain with an excellent snow record. Lots of easy runs, nice long blue leading back to the village. Aprés is not crazy exciting, there are 2-3 pubs, the Marlow and the Pointe Noir are nice and central. It does get quite busy in half-term but it is managable. Have a look at skiology.co.uk, they are a proper foody company and prices are reasonable.

2. Serre Chevalier - Pretty resort, great slopes, tree skiing. It doesn't get too busy during half-term.

3. Morzine - It is a bigger resort so there would be plenty to do for your girls, there are some really good chalet companies based here but if you decide to go self-catering it has a big, reasonable supermarket and also a great choice of restaurants. Skiing is also excellent - plenty of easy pistes. Snow conditions are usually great, especially in Avoriaz.

4. Niederau and Oberau - Small resorts pretty much aimed at beginners.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only cautionary note I'd make about AdH is that the leap from the resort-level greens to some of the blues is quite a large one for many, bar the confident IMO. Otherwise, not a bad recommendation.

La Plagne could be an option - plenty of steady blues and a bit of a sense of travel. Some OK apres options.

Another vote for Serre Chevalier - where I learnt and there are great progressor blues. Chantemerle (personal experience recommendation: Les Marmottes), Villeneuve or Monetier all have a bit of life, though nothing excessive.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 30-10-12 18:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi grandunion,

Have you thought about La Plagne?

There are beginners areas to get your legs back in for the first day, and then a huge selection of blue runs for you to ski for the rest of the week, along with plenty of reds for when you progress.

There is good, but not crazy apres ski with a nice selection of bars and restaurants and a good atmosphere in the evenings. Or, if they fancy something different there is an olympic bobsleigh, skidooing, huge sledge run and parapente to try out!

Looking at your requirements, I think that a good quality catered chalet would probably suit best. We have some chalets there (link below) or if you do a search on google or chalets direct there are plenty of other small, independant companies with nice properties.

Happy planning!
Heather
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
grandunion, you really should look at Austria, your girls will love it and so will you 2.
latest report
grandunion, Hi my own inclination would be to try Austria based on your preferences. Someitmes this forum can split between Francophiles and Austrophiles, I like both and ski in both countries frequently but:

Austria tends to be less crowded in february half term in my experience. You also say a good standard of accommodation is important, whereas you can get fine accommodation in both countries(and many others) In my experience at a given price level you get a fair bit more bang for your buck in Austria. If your daughters are keen on apres it tends to be cheaper and take place earlier in the evening in Austria. You can often get better family discounts in Austria than France though ther eis quite a bit of individual variation within countries.
As far as variety of runs is concerned Austria does not grade any runs as green, the equivalent runs exist but are the easier of the blue runs.

Which resort? well loads of them will do, I like Ischgl but anm not sure the apres is family orientated (I head off to nearby Kappl with my family)It is also a bit pricey. Lech is aslo great but not cheap. Saalbach has a very good reputation amongst snow heads and the ski Amade region has loads of fantastic skiing.
ski holidays
Quote:

take place earlier in the evening in Austria.

Puzzled everyone's in bed by 10 pm in many French resorts. wink
snow conditions
Italia Italia!
The food! The Scenery! The cake shop!

You might like to look at this: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91993 Wink
snowHead
latest report
admin, I am a big fan of Italian food and scenery but have to insist that French patisserie - and bread - is better!!
ski holidays
Do not entertain anywhere other than Selva Val Gardena, it would be perfect for you. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

take place earlier in the evening in Austria.

Puzzled everyone's in bed by 10 pm in many French resorts. wink

True in general but thats because in many French resorts there is virtually no apres ski. Where there is apres ski, it is in my admittedly limited experience late at night.
latest report
admin wrote:
Italia Italia!

You might like to look at this: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91993 Wink
snowHead

Blatant spam Toofy Grin

But it does have a very nice cake shop.
ski holidays
For feeling the kids were safe: Les Saises (lots of easy skiing in one huge bowl) was my favourite resort, followed by Pralognan La Vanoise . My least safe resort has to be Avoriaz where ski school lost my youngest, and the easiest graded runs often had huge drops over the side. We avoided places like Les Gets, Morzine, Alp d huez, 2 alps etc at half term and holidays because the slopes were always busy. If you have to do half term you are better heading for the resorts less known/favoured by the Brits. If you can drive rather than fly you have much more flexibility both as to where you go and where you stay.
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire wrote:
admin wrote:
Italia Italia!

snowHead

Blatant spam Toofy Grin
Is it not the perfect fit to the request? NehNeh
Quote:

U know it!
snow conditions
anarchicsaltire wrote:
admin wrote:
Italia Italia!

snowHead

Blatant spam Toofy Grin

But not too many nightlife options beyond the Eta Beta....which for me was fine....on a "few" occasions.... Toofy Grin

Mmmm....apres beers and poire williams chasers Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Thanks so much for all the replies. A little update, my girls break up for the second week. So, without offending half of the people on here, I think I will discount France. Pure and simply due to the fact that it will be busy & I am a miserable so&so and hate queuing.....I think something I shall discount also would be a catered chalet. So maybe an apartment or a hotel would be preferential.
ski holidays
grandunion, good decision. Somewhere quieter such as Maria Alm / Hochconig in Austria would suit your requirements.
snow conditions
Did I mention Ski in/out would be nice also....I don't want much do I.
Puzzled rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grandunion, Having done both, I think that a nice place in an Austrian town, with a very handy ski-bus stop generally is a far superior experience than some pokey ski in hole.

For ski in/lift out try some of the pricier hotels in many Austrian resorts.
snow report
Quote:

Pure and simply due to the fact that it will be busy & I am a miserable so&so and hate queuing.

I think that's a good decision. I have an apartment in Les Saisies and nowadays, with 185km of lift-linked skiing, it's a great area. BUT, whilst there are no TO trips there, and most UK skiers have never heard of it, the fact remains that it's busy in the peak French holidays. I don't do lift queues, so during the French holidays I make myself scarce and lend my apartment to family members with kids in school, who have no choice. At Christmas and New Year, when my daughter, son in law and 2 little girls will be with me, I shall do a lot more baby-sitting than skiing.

But mid Feb is pretty high season everywhere - you are unlikely to avoid queues altogether. Get some local advice here about specific Austrian resorts; they are by no means guaranteed queue-free but I imagine that, like French resorts, some are better than others. Outside the French school holidays the difference between the big, well known ski factories and the smaller, less well known areas is much more marked.
snow report
I was going to say Alpe d'Huez too, but agree with Chasseur. I had my first week skiing there, plenty of greens to try, but when the OH took me off elsewhere I struggled with the blues - they seemed a big step up. We went at New Year, it was rammed, I think it would be the same at half term.

I would thoroughly recommend Cervinia in Italy. Miles of long gentle blue slopes (they don't have greens there, but as a rule they're similar to a French green slope), certainly good confidence builders. The instructor I had at the ski school was very good (as was Jnr's). The town has a bit of nightlife too, so everyone should be happy.
ski holidays
What about Cervinia?

Certainly some ski in/out options above the main town plus several places in the town that are almost ski in and close to the uplift.
ski holidays
Beaten to it!
ski holidays
grandunion,
See Sammeberg Sues posts for ski in ski out in Austria in this thread.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92693
My own experience of Austrian ski in ski out is that it books up quickly in many places and whilst there is plenty of Austrian selfcatering the ski in ski out stuff is more hotel based.
Asides from the resorts mentioned on that list Obertauern has plenty of good ski in ski out accommodation

PS agree with Cervinia, La Thuile in Italy also has good gentle skiing and skiin ski out but it's nightlife is a bit lacking.

Oh and if you have the money to tke a family of six to Switzerland it has plenty of great places but the recent rise of the Swiss franc has made it quite pricey.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 31-10-12 11:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yep, the road at the bottom of the Cretaz lift has a number of hotels literally metres from the lift. We had a taxing 50 metre walk to the lift every morning and an arduous 10 metre walk back at the end of the day (stayed in Hotel Dragon). If it wasn't for the stream we'd have been able to ski to the door every day.
snow report
Chasseur wrote:
Beaten to it!

By me, at about 4pm yesterday.
snow report
T Bar, I did not include Obertauern in that list simply because it does not have a very interesting village to be honest. Also I don't think it is that good for beginners although the beginners areas are superb. When it clags in there there are not too many tree-lined runs to play in.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue,
Fair enough I thought it might be because it is not an extensive area which was requested on the other thread. I enjoyed it on my visit but when it clagged in I escaped to Zauchensee. My son raves about it and it was very young teenage friendly for them to go off and do their own thing.
snow conditions
Mr Piehole wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
Beaten to it!

By me, at about 4pm yesterday.

Updated your time to GMT yet? wink Laughing

Technically correct, I suppose rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
+1 for Cervinia. Some good long easy runs to build confidence, and if the weather is good and you are feeling adventurous later in the week there's Zermatt to explore too.

IMHO there is a balancing act to be had between ski in/out and Apres - generally the best ski in/out places are just off the piste (surprisingly!) which can mean a bit of a trek into town for Apres (and/or back afterwards!) in many resorts.
I always used to prioritise ski in/out for family trips, but these days I find somewhere close to town but a short walk to a lift works better. With little ones ski in/out was good for returning to base regularly to swap 'duties', and save carrying kids gear too far, but with the age of your girls, being near town is probably more important. Just my 2p.

Finally, as you say you looked at Finland, Are (Sweden) might also fit, with lots of gentle runs and a very modern and efficient lift system. Not the cheapest place mind. The Holiday Club has a lot to offer families and is a short walk from both piste and town.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy