Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Ski Amade Snow Reports 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
A better end to the day than the start.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schön!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Schladders last week. Plenty of snow and some good powder on Wednesday on the Reiteralm and the Planai on Friday. Raining when we left on Saturday morning. Glad I am back in UK for Christmas as it looks way too warm over there now. Enjoy the slush guys!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Herr Hefski, Slush is second only to powder. Went for a Christmas Eve Ski Tour with some friends at Wagrain today. A decent freeze overnight and freezing lower down though warm as we ascended the hill. The route we took was along a forest road which was rather thin on snow (was previously ploughed and driven on). Mostly through the woods so shaded from the spring sun until we exited on to the piste and to the destination hut for beer and food on the terrace. Short ski on piste afterwards and sun exposed slopes slushy, a sign board was saying +14 at about 1800m ( I think it was in the sun). The valleys were still cold and foggy in places so the lower slopes not thawing too much and piste in great shape still. Great to get a taste of spring, snow in forecast from Wednesday. Planning full moon ski tour Friday night, normally means snowfall, I've never yet done this tour and seen the full moon.

some interesting uphill conditions.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos, Im not in the pic! Ange x
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good Luck for the Full Moon Tour. Where do you go at night if it is snowing? sounds likely to end up with a trip to the Schladming Krankenhaus.
Merry Christmas to all and enjoy your skiing. I think I would take some slush rather than the rain and mud here in Oxfordshire.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos, I'm heading back out for a full 6 week trip in Feb Toofy Grin Hopefully you will still be about, there's a lot of territory I want to explore out there.

Ange.. can you put up with me for a month and a half? wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Herr Hefski, the full moon tour is at fageralm, normally over 100 skiers make their way up to the one open hut serving food and beer. It's all on piste but not lit, hence the need for a full moon or headlight bright head torches, I've no plans to visit the hospital, done enough trips to there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos, A full moon light ski tour sounds awesome. Looking at sky tonight should have great visibility. Can you get a lift or is there loads of skinning/climbing involved?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CraigJ, skins only unless you catch a late lift and hang around on the mountain, it's about 2 hours up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa, excellent, I'll be about for some of your trip. Ange is Ripping the hills nowadays
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm bringing the axes and ropes, also need to buy SL skis and a touring set up Smile
For once the winter will be my playground Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have heard that since Ben's tragic injury she has taken on the skier of the family mantle.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, Yes I understand Ben is enjoying his time off the snow and more time at home.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax, Ange you weren´t in the pic cos you had done a "Cavendish" !! Great day guys!!
Can´t wait for the moonlight tour, Santa bought me a headlamp this year so i don´t have to ski down in the dark without one like last year Shocked
snow report
waynos, Ange wasn´t just ripping it today, she SHREDDED it!!!!

" I've never yet done this tour and seen the full moon."

Be VERY careful what you wish for wink Laughing Laughing It can be arranged!!!
snow conditions
Just noticed that it is plus 11 on top of the planar at 11pm !

Check it out, seems very consistent temp inversion across Austria
http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/wetter/
snow report
It has been snowing steadily in the part of the Amadé region I'm in for most of this week with periods of sun in between. This morning it has been snowing down to valley levels which makes a change from the rain and sleet/drizzle we have had on and off. Nice to come down to breakfast and see it snowing outside the hotel restaurant.

Weather forecast is for heavy snow today and fine weather over the weekend - at least it means that transfer day should not be a problem. Saying that there have been some problems with HGVs on the A10 Tauernautobahn, it is currently closed again southbound due to a truck losing control on the snow-covered road and split a massive amount of fuel. Hopefully there will be no problems tomorrow! This is the second time this week that the section south of Flachau has been closed due to HGVs not coping with the conditions.
latest report
Out today, was only going for a couple of hours as ski touring tonight. However some decent powder about down to around mid mountain. Lots of fresh tracks around the mitterhaus area in the forest. Still need to keep an eye out for partly covered logs, tree stumps, bushes, rocks and streams but all adds an extra dimension to the experience. Around 15-20cms fresh, did clear up but snowing again now. First day I've noticed it's much more busy, the piste were busy with nice bumps forming, though I think most guest didn't appreciate the bumps. Off out for a full moon ski tour soon, looks like we will not see the moon to start, maybe it will clear up for the ski down about mid night after a couple of beers.
snow conditions
just back from moonlight tour. the skies cleared just as we set off revealing the full moon. the light and views awesome. after a couple of hut stops a nice refreshing weissbier mixed with cola we skied back down, powder just before midnight, excellent end to a long ski day. nice and cold out, planning first lift tomorrow, 8:15.
ski holidays
Super day today here with lots of day trippers. Clear blue skies and sunshine, cold temperatures though. Perfect bluebird day. Fresh snow waiting for those arriving today and more forecast for the beginning and middle of next week.

Lots of people changing location and the traffic reports for the A10 Tauernautobahn were talking of hold ups around the Salzburg north interchange (where the Vienna and Munich traffic split) and heading south through the tunnels towards the resorts from about 8.00am this morning.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 29-12-12 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
5 weeks and counting... wink
snow report
Great conditions in the Ski Amade today. Nice snow dump yesterday clear and frosty night followed by sunshine today. Seems to be the busiest i have ever seen the place with traffic jams coming in and most carparks full by 10.30. Still sorry to leave the place and looking forward to coming back for the whole season next winter!
snow conditions
Still lots of day trippers coming in from Bayern and Salzburg. Skied from Wagrain over to Alpendorf with friends and had a whale of a time. Ended up having lunch at the Kreistenalm and then skied back. Red 60 down to the Buchau-Sattel is in superb condition and I could play on it all day to be honest. Long and varied with excellent tree skiing on either side and a smashing little bar/ hut at the bottom before you get in the gondola to do it all over again, Toofy Grin Not sure where to ski tomorrow, spoilt for choice to be honest! wink
snow conditions
Scarpa, what dates are you out there? I'll be over some time in March if you fancy a day tour or two.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I'll defo grab a ski or two with you. Will be quite like old times as long as you don't give me that blasted cough Laughing
snow report
zammo, I'll be out late Feb and most of March, staying at guesthoff Flangesax Toofy Grin
I'm intending to take up touring, will have to sort some kit out while I'm out there. Also will be taking the climbing kit out, there are some good ice falls not too far away if you like that sort of thing.
snow conditions
Scarpa, sounds like we'll be there together!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, Cough is definitely on its way out and I have a month to get back some fitness before skiing with QB for a week or so. the flu bug or bronchitis has left me with zero strength. I skied all day yesterday but have been struggling today as e legs have given out on me. No reserves whatsoever! Embarassed

Freddie Paellahead, Could be a good week with all of you plus Scarpa. And Flangesax should be well and truly back in his boots by the as well.

Beautiful day here in Zauchensee with not as many punters as before, lots of Dutch choosing to drive home today for some odd reason. A real bluebird day for those who can take advantage of it! Free WiFi as well at the Arena snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
friends have just come back from a fabulous week in Rohrmoos (Schladming)
snow conditions
This is the kind of reading I like although not your bug Sue - out in Radstadt at The Bruggler on the 14th for a week (regrettably THE inn was already full Sad ) If any very patient Snowheads are round and about that week it would be great to meet up.
ski holidays
This is the kind of reading I like although not your bug Sue - out in Radstadt at The Bruggler on the 14th for a week (regrettably THE inn was already full Sad ) If any very patient Snowheads are round and about that week it would be great to meet up.
latest report
Annie, The bug came courtesy of my not so thoughtful work colleagues. The Germans are paranoid about cold air in winter and crank up the office heating and seal the windows. Then they splutter all day and complain about getting repeated doses of flu! rolling eyes I am over mine now and will be getting my flu shot boosted next week.
You will like the Brüggler and Radstadt town itself, plus it isn't far staggering wise to THE inn, so you can look in and book for next year! wink There are quite a lot of us now in and around the area. I'm only over at weekends but occasionally take a day off during the week if I'm ahead of schedule on the work front. I'm sure you will have lots of ski guides available if it is your first time in our neck of the woods. Toofy Grin
latest report
Happy New Year from Schladders.

ski holidays
Fine photos - Happy New Year!
ski holidays
Nice pics. I like the surreal mistiness.

Must go back there sometime (direct train with no changes, so has to be done)

Happy New Year!
latest report
Happy New Year... From us lot at Haus Susanne!!...

Hope to see some of you peeps in 2013!!
snow conditions
Looks like some more snow is forecast for Friday and into early Saturday for the ski Amade region. And it looks like the region will escape the warmest of the temperatures that will hit the Alps in the next week or so.
ski holidays
I skied on Monday in the Hochkoenig region, starting out from Maria Alm. My original Hogmanay plan had been to ski the King's Tour to Mühlbach and back but then I found the queues at the Abergbahn and, as in the photo below, at the Abergalmbahn too off-putting. So in the morning I just skied on the lower slopes of the Aberg instead.

Later, about half past twelve, I did venture further and skied to Dienten and then to the Liebenau-Alm for lunch. On the way I was able to enjoy again the usual impressive views of the Steinernes Meer and Hochkönig mountains...

I toyed with the idea of trying to complete the King's Tour to Mühlbach but decided that lift queues might be a problem on the return journey (actually the queues weren't bad in the afternoon). So I had a couple of runs on the Zachhofalm chairlift and then started on my way back.

Skiing the lower section of the run down to the bottom station of the Sinalcobahn, I cut off left from the main piste onto a ski route that brought me out by the practice lift at Hintermoos. That was a pleasant change from the fight with the crowds on the piste. The ski route runs on a track across the slope shown in the photo below - very quiet...

I still had time for a few runs on the Aberg before the end of the day. Despite the crowds at the start, it was an enjoyable day's skiing with great weather. Snow was mostly good though a few sections were scraped and icy.
snow conditions
Skied Reiteralm this morning, grey skies, breeze making it feel cold. Looks like some snow about now in the distance, lots of snow forecast Friday and Saturday, though could be wet in valleys. Piste this morning seemed pretty icy, luckily I was using my SL skis for the first time this season, not so good is it takes my awhile to get used to them and the alpine boots after using my freeride boots and skis for so long. The US Ski team were out and about, I thought one guy was Bode (I know he's not competing at the moment but is back on skis) but not too sure it was him though. Ted the Shred was at Reitealm for sun rise judging by the photo he posted on his facebook page.

Taking a look at the latest radar looks like some snow coming in. http://www.wetter.at/wetter/wetterradar

espri, a queue in Hochkonig, pretty unusual, such a pretty place to ski.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 3-01-13 14:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy