Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stowing clothes etc in Ski Luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking at flights with either Jet2 or Easyjet - I'm thinking of just paying for sports equipment/ski luggage and shoving all my gear into that as it'll fit.

Has anyone done this, and had any trouble because of it? Don't see the need in spending an extra ~£50 if I don't need the space!

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scottland, I seem to recall reading on another thread here that there are restrictions to doing that - maybe someone will be able to link to the thread in question.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur wrote:
Scottland, I seem to recall reading on another thread here that there are restrictions to doing that - maybe someone will be able to link to the thread in question.

Yeah, I seem to recall this also - these airlines don't miss a trick :@

I'm hoping it's something that's not really enforced though...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scottland, Chasseur, I have done it many times and never had a problem. So far. But I also read on a recent thread that it may be against the rules. I suppose that it must be a personal choice as to what you do, but I intend to carry on as before and include some clothes in my ski bag
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnHSmith wrote:
Scottland, Chasseur, I have done it many times and never had a problem. So far. But I also read on a recent thread that it may be against the rules. I suppose that it must be a personal choice as to what you do, but I intend to carry on as before and include some clothes in my ski bag

Ditto

As Clarky pointed out I am taking the position that salopettes/gloves/thermals/socks etc are bona fide ski equipment and can be legitimately packed in with the skis.
Jeans etc might be a little more tricky.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How about the other way around - there doesn't appear to be a size limit for normal luggage check in?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I reckon it depends on your interpretation of the rules.. I've decided to take it as so long as the bag does contain winter equipment then to stuff it full of other gear is perfectly acceptable. At least, that's what I'm hoping. I'm also checking in around 04:00, so here's hoping the check-in staff are half asleep anyway!

Reckon if you'd just been cheeky and stuck all your clobber in a ski bag with no ski's, then they might have a legitimate reason for charging extra. But with ski's in there, I'm pretty confident of getting away with it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
joe1890, I'm hoping this is the case also. Although Ski luggage is dearer than normal hold luggage so you'd want to have Ski equipment in there!

I reckon I can fit all my jeans etc in my hand luggage, and boots/skis/ski clothing (plus some misc stuff) in the ski bag. I think a dry run is in order Neh Neh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haha, maybe! Whoever's going first needs to update the rest of SnowHeads after checking in the bags....

My handluggage bag isn't massive as it is, and needs to take a laptop, so think I'm going to have to risk everything in one bag. No exceptions!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done it on every easy jet ski flight i've taken - no problemo
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All my ski gear goes in with skis, as do tshirts and stuff, there as padding to protect the delicate skis! Never been even asked what is in the obviously crammed full ski roller bag by BA or Easijet
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As long as all the stuff near the top is ski gear - which everything but jeans can be explained as - then it's legitimate sports gear, I would have thought
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm heading out on 29th November for the season from Gatwick with easy jet, will report back Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Usually ski boot bag plus ski bag = ski equipment, I have been stashing toiletries/underwear in my boots and base layers and ski trousers around my boots, I pack my skis with beanie/gloves etc around bindings and between bases, t-shirts/jeans/fleece in my hand luggage, pockets of ski coat stuffed with anything else I need and carried over my shoulder so I can wear a jumper/fleece without passing out from heat exhaustion in the airport and my helmet attached to my hand luggage, I've travelled mainly on charter flights or EJ/J2/BMI/monarch and never had an issue. My hand luggage has never been questioned as it fits in the box but my jacket always weighs a TON!
9/10 times depending on airport your boot bag is the only thing the desk deals with as skis go through a separate area where they are dealt with by generic airport staff who don't care as long as you have the correct label and it doesn't cripple them when they lift it on to the conveyor belt.
I do pack light tho, I take nothing extra, no laptop etc and I'm quite prepared to do a stomp wash of base layers/socks in the shower so I get away with just 2 sets. I infuriate my other half who tends toward the kitchen sink end of the spectrum and still usually "needs" to buy something in resort that he has forgotten, if I used a case no doubt I'd end up with more of his stuff crammed in that as well. The first year we went together I suggested we put my skis in his board bag and share a case for clothes-ridiculous idea.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always put some ski gear as padding in my ski bag and never had any problems. A mate of mine (who travels on Iberia) has bought a double ski bag and puts most of his kit and clothes in it - likewise, nobody has ever taken him to task on it.
ski holidays
If questioned just claim you're padding the ski equipment with clothes to avoid any damage to the equipment. I can't see them caring about this...the T&Cs are probably just there so they have a get out clause if it looks like you're trying to get away with something ridiculous.
ski holidays
I did so a few times on Easyjet last season and was not challenged. But I struggled to handle the bag when I really filled it up. Apologies if I have posted this link elsewhere on the site earlier in the year, but hopefully it's useful...
http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/212012-easyjet-ski-carriage-my-attempt-at-beating-the-system/
snow report
I have a "Big Air" snowboard bag in which I pack skis, boots, all skiiing gear, skins, avi gear, ice axe, and enough clothes for skiing and apres ski to last a long weekend. It weighs less than 32kg (although usually pretty close to it). I also carry a small rucksac hand luggage, which has my helmet, goggles, avi bleeper and anything else fragile or valuable. I've been doing it 2-3x/year for years on easyjet and I've never been challenged
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy