Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot gets Unofficial approval

Poster: A snowHead
Title says it all:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/white-dot-preacher-unofficial-gear-review-81675/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm I believe Gavin Smith is spancerred by Whitedot so not quite an unbiased review, that's not to say Miles Carke doesn't occasionally post reviews of his Atomics etc on there so not unprecedented. No criticism of the skis or company intended - I'm a fan, just disclosure could be better.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing says "Forum Geek" like a pair of "purchased" Whitedots on the hill.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-10-12 21:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CH2O, it's genius marketting though isn't it? If you were to see a pair on the pair on the mountain the top coat screams what they are at the viewer. Good luck to them. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No I think it says, "Wow I finally made it to a ski resort."
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gavin is indeed a Whitedot Team Rider, under the auspices of our US importer. So, no, this isn't an unbiased review (that's a VERY rare beast indeed), can't argue with the lads ability to ski though, and don't really picture him as a "Forum Geek" Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CH2O, They have a level of 'intrigue' in France where they have heard good things about the ski but have never seen or been able to try them, like all things retail it's about critical mass I guess.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker, I hope my edit helps.

Boredsurfing, You have a spare door laying around your back yard? Paint it Blue.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, that's nice to hear from a neutral third party, so there is a decent level of 'chatter' about Whitedot in france but outside Chamonix? I must admit the French distributor has increased his pre-season order for the second time today and it's only October, has to be a good sign.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker, Bloke I was talking to is an ex French National team trainer and now Ski shop owner in La Plagne Montalbert so has more than a passing interest, but yes they know about the brand but haven't tested it.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 16-10-12 22:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You have a spare door laying around your back yard? Paint it Blue.

Laughing the Rag certainly is a ski that requires some flexing, 'job specific' might be a good description. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is important to get genuine unbiased reviews from free thinkers, but pro skiers or those in the biz........... could say or write whatever they have to

"but you can bet if you asked them they would all say that they were excellent boots whoever's they were"

Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, I'll PM you the French distributors contact and you can pass them on if appropriate.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CH2O, Whitedot did quite a few demos in Scotland over the last few years and as a result the skis are a reasonably common sight, especially at Glencoe. I think most of the people skiing them make it to a ski resort quite often Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
who is Glen Coe?
latest report
did he do the Olympic Rings?
snow report
CH2O, no dude, you're thinking of Larry Gru.
snow conditions
meh, Dirty Old Queer, he plays a piano painted blue.
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
Nothing says "Forum Geek" like a pair of "purchased" Whitedots on the hill.

I'm a geek and I'm proud
ski holidays
Didn't know I was trying to say anything with my Preachers. Or is that for CH2O to decide? Laughing I had a test, they made me laugh stupidly at their cheating ways and I didn't want to give em back. Wasn't planning to buy any skis that day/year. They were a bit of a bargain for what they do and at the price they were offering them at. In my opinion...err I mean IMO (still learning the forum geek ways)...
snow conditions
Comment in the forum after the post:

"I don’t trust reviews from anybody who doesn’t wear their pole straps."

Now THAT'S how you do 'Forum Geek'!!!! People, take notes.

And anyway, just becasue someone's paid to ride something doesn't make their review biased. I've got a m8 who loved a particular product that he used and he approached the company who happily tossed a ton of gear at him (not ski related) to 'assess'. He wouldn't push a product he didn't rate, no matter what the money involved, and he was only too happy to 'big' up the product if asked - no conflict and a very honest opinion by a highly talented and rated participant in his field.
snow report
RattytheSnowRat, One Shouldn't wear pole straps through trees
snow conditions
Does anyone use them at all and what on earth for?
latest report
They're for hanging your poles over the tips of your skis when they're against a rack, surely?
snow report
Also you can make a super cool ski carry thing with them. I forgot about that.
ski holidays
meh wrote:
Does anyone use them at all and what on earth for?

On piste they help with pole plants, pressure etc
Off piste I ski without them
latest report
given that pole straps help every single pole plant, never using them on the off chance that you might snag a pole on a tree or get caught in an avalanche always seems like an over-reaction
ski holidays
Can someone give a description for how they help the pole plant and how that helps your skiing without going totally Epic Ski over it? Smile

I'm very curious as to what I'm missing out on.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, found on Epic......

Quote:
The reason for "correct" pole strap usage (up through the loops then back down) is for proper pole plant technique.

When you swing your pole out, it's supposed to pivot on the mushroom part at the top of the grip against your thumb and forefinger so you have a nice smooth swing and so the pole follows a natural path. Because of this, you're not gripping the handle at all when you swing it out (if you do it "correctly"), so the strap prevents the pole from flying out of your hand once it hits the snow. More importantly, once the pole hits the snow, you will feel pressure on your palm from the strap, giving you a very positive feedback from your pole plant. As someone said earlier, proper strap usage is important for good technique
snow report
Guys, guys - missing the point but extra stars for showing some true Forum geek action.

Cynic, that's why one uses Leki's nice click-trigger system - no straps, best of both worlds and easy for lift queues.

meh, if correctly set for length they stop the hand sliding down the pole and so enhance the downward pressure, makes it easier to grip the pole more lightly rather than having to grimly throttle the hand grip each time. Hand cramp's a b1tch.
latest report
So the answer is a marginal increase in security and support?

My favourite reply on that thread:
Quote:
The plane would take off only if the pilot was employing "correct" pole strap technique.
ski holidays
re straps - mainly because it's a bug having to hike up a steep modul field when you've dropped one in a minor spill or kickback. I'm not convinced by the tree logic overly either - if you're skiing at the speed where it's going to be a serious issue then you're probably competent enough not to be snagging trees or branches anyway, or have bigger issues than a wrenched wrist.

right let's get going.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
if you're skiing at the speed where it's going to be a serious issue then you're probably competent enough not to be snagging trees or branches anyway

Accidents happen, and they needn't happen at speed. Short walks beat torn rotator cuffs any day.

Between trees, avalanches and tree wells (and other sorts of crashing-into-soft-deep-snow incidents) using pole straps off piste doesn't seem like a brilliant idea. I'm unconvinced by the epicski pole-plant talk, and I've never had any problems hanging on to my poles even in moderately energetic wipe-outs, so I don't bother with them on piste either.

They're handy for long flat slogs on skins though.
snow conditions
fatbob, I've had some geniuses taking out my poles on piste which persuaded me early on that having your arm strapped to a snaggable lever was not a prime choice. I developed a technique where my hand was through the strap but not my thumb so a light tug would keep me attached but a strong sudden arrest would jerk the strap out of my hand without taking the hand with it. Then I saw the Leki system and decided to have that.

The 'off piste' pole logic above makes perfect sense to me - I'm all for going first and letting a kind friend bring my pole to me in the unlikely event it gets detached wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy