Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride Boots with walk mode

Poster: A snowHead
Thought a 120/130 flex boot with walkies mode would be hard to find but now i have the opposite problem! suddenly everyone does them;

Atomic
Garmont
technica
lange
blackdiamond
salomon
Fischer.... the list goes on!!!

Where the hell do i start, no shops near me have more than one or two types so need to narrow it down before i spend 200 euros in petrol trying rubbish on!

So two questions to narrow it down

1: Are any really terrible? heavy? breakable? much softer than they should be?

2: I have tiny girly feet, which would be worth trying or have a narrow heel option?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dulcamara, How tiny /Gorky are you talking, many only go down to a 25.5 so that might be a deciding factor, otherwise it is down to fit, the atomic and Lange are the ones I work with which have a pretty good heel hold, also out there is the dynafit Titan which gives a full tech compatibility (do you need/want that or is it not a worry)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blister Gear Review (which seems to be one fo the few places on the web that gives balanced that aren't always positive) speak highly of the Technica boots (and review a few of the others too), but it's proving quite hard to track down a pair to see them myself.

You in Feldkirch now? Don't suppose you've been in St Anton recently and know if Jennewein stock them (one of the few places in Austria I've found that seem to have a proper bootfitter)?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok i've got size 10 feet in length but very slim especially on the ankles.

Actually these would be replacing my Titans which, apart from breaking every few months don't come up high enough on my shins for my taste, the idea is to get a pair that ski great on and off piste with the stiffest possible flex, to the point that i can use GS skis on piste and fat things off without having to constantly consider what boot/binding combination is going on.

I see the Langes are based on their race boot, how do the atomics compare?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry no idea about Jennewein, not seen any around here either:

so far have found and tried on, salomon, Black diamond and Fischer none really fitted
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara, Do you know any decent fitters around these parts?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
actaully if it's open a load of locals have recommended a little shop here in feldkirch, if its open I was gonna head in this afternoon, I can at least try to find out if he knows his stuff, otherwise There are a couple who are semi ok in the zillertal valley but to be honest in Austria the consensus seems to be "it's a boot, wear it, if you can't use it its your fault for being a rubbish skier, silly foreigner"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ha yeah that's pretty much what I've come across too!

If you do go to your local shop, I'd be interested to hear what dynafit-compatable boots they're stocking please! Is it snowing over there yet?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dulcamara, Not sure you will find much difference in cuff height between the Titan and the atomic or Lange

The Lange is the same lower shell as their RS/RX models available in both 97mm and 100mm lasts the
LV version is the 97mm

The atomic is based on their old race CS 98mm last with the addition of the big mountain sole pads and platform which lifts you about 5mm more than the race boot did to give better leverage on wide skis

Both go up to 130 flex although the 120 of the Titan is a fairy firm 120 compared to most

For fit if you have a local store which sells either brand but only has the RS/RX from Lange or the race tech CS from atomic then you could try these in terms of fit, I prefer the walk mechanism on the Lange, just seems a little more secure than the current atomic one (which is very similar to what salomon use on the quest) atomic have a new tour/free ride type boot coming for next year but it has a little more width on it (based on the hawx last)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have some factors. They ski fine, and are very stiff. I have fitted a booster strap to soften them a little! They are a bit on the heavy side for up hill travel but do work.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for BD Factors, brilliant boots.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That is some excellent advice cheers Colin! Will have a look for those instead if i cant find them!

Though you don't think the cuff height will be higher? Every time I step out of my salomon X-3 labs and into the titans it feels like wearing ankle high trainers! Is there always gonna be that difference or is it just lateral stiffness? It was the idea that the others were based on race boots and might be higher that made them more appealing!

Also because of where my shin comes to I just seem to drop through the flex of the Titans too easily
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blister recently did a review of the XT 130 LV. They weren't blown away by them, for whatever that's worth.

The big Garmont boots (delerium?) felt a lot like buckets to me when I tried em and didn't appeal. I'm on Tecnica Cochise 120s (the original kind) and I'm entirely happy with them, but they don't compare to a 'real' 120-flex boot. You have to make a lot of structural sacrifices for a walk mode boot, after all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh, well that sucks!

Maybe i should just stick to normal freeride boots! My girlfriend came on a 5 hour tour with us wearing a pair of dobermanns and she was fine!! Ignoring the fact that my proper race fit boots would literally destroy my feet maybe i should just take a massive man the F' up pill and get some solid boots!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Serriadh wrote:
Blister recently did a review of the XT 130 LV. They weren't blown away by them, for whatever that's worth.

The big Garmont boots (delerium?) felt a lot like buckets to me when I tried em and didn't appeal. I'm on Tecnica Cochise 120s (the original kind) and I'm entirely happy with them, but they don't compare to a 'real' 120-flex boot. You have to make a lot of structural sacrifices for a walk mode boot, after all.

More like a comparison to an alpine boot than a review as the first comment said!!

With all these boots they have to break the spine of the boot to get the walk feature to function...if I broke your spine you wouldn't function as well as you did before it was broken, so why do we expect that a ski boot is any different

To get the up we have to compromise on the down, now in recent times the manufacturers are finding better ways to do this but it still is and will always be a compromise
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
More like a comparison to an alpine boot than a review as the first comment said!!

That's not necessarily a bad thing though, especially as AT boot flex numbers seem to be undergoing hyperinflation right now.

There are a few useful nuggets of information in that review, however. It sounds like the compromises and design decisions made in order to fit a walk mode were not necessarily the best ones. I'd expect the version 2 to be more reaasonable.
ski holidays
Serriadh, Having been speaking with the head of R&D at Lange this summer, I don't see many changes coming in the near future....not sure what the ultimate solution to is problem is but the fact remains you need to allow the lower shell to open a bit backwards or the cuff movement is irrelevant

Some means of locking the two parts together when in downhill mode has to be possible, just a matter of making it work
latest report
So the 500 Euro question, if you could only have one boot for pottering around the piste, powder and short max. 1 day tours, would you have an AT boot or a normal solid one with some plastic damping bits in?

p.s. clarky999, the locals had confused "really nice guy" with "good boot fitter" the little shop in Feldkirch is a no go! also its snowing to maybe 300 meters above my head, very excited, Hintertux soon!
ski holidays
dulcamara, Sorry for going off thread - just a quick one. I'm looking to do some guiding in Schruns/ Montafon in February, any recommendations re a guide or must do routes? Freeride not touring, maybe PM me if you can help? Cheers
snow conditions
I am afraid I can't help just yet, just moved here from Zillertal, though I should be meeting up with a few lads from the TGR forum who have been here for longer and I'm buying a season pass for Montafon so if you remember to send me a pm a bit closer to the time hopefully I'll be more helpful....

extra routes if you can recommend a good freeride boot for me! ,
ski holidays
More than half the management team at Whitedot have XT130s arriving for this season. We'll be more than happy to provide some feedback once we get the chance to get some turns in.
latest report
I say 'management team' to differentiate us from the 'Pro team' ie the real skiers! Shocked
latest report
Why, what are they getting? wink
ski holidays
Why is the XT130 so much more expensive than the softer models?
latest report
dulcamara, I can only recommend the BD Factors, I and my ski mate both really rate them. Cant call them vs any others because never skid any others. Mu OH really rates her Garmont Azulas, if you have girly feet try them, she has the same! wink

Will PM you towards Xmas, calling in at Montafon for a couple of days pre New Year, could do with some tips for then. Good luck with the boots.
snow conditions
dulcamara, various, but you can bet if you asked them they would all say that they were excellent boots whoever's they were wink
snow conditions
musher wrote:
Why is the XT130 so much more expensive than the softer models?

It has upgrades (as does the slightly cheaper XT 120). There is the additional cost of the materials used to stiffen the boot up (Plastic composition and manufacturing (In lower volumes so more ££) and additional stiffening hardware sometimes) and then it has an oversized 50mm power-strap, but the key difference stiffness aside is the liner, which is a lighter weight, more mouldable lace-up model. The walk mode on the Lange has been used before, but was proven to work well, so should not give any cause for concerns.

We have had positive feedback on the XT ourselves, and the fact we do it in Low Volume (LV) or standard variants gives our fitters options, which is great. I wear the RX normally and will be switching to the XT as it makes it easier to walk around at ski testing when we are doing the video to camera. LOTS of walking around at ski tests! It's very positive in the ankle for me, for example.

Have to pick up on the Garmont Delirium too. Harry here uses that boot, and we have sold a fair few, and for those needing a volume freeride touring boot, its are serious contender in the world of 100mm lasts. Easy for us to work with too in the width thanks to softer side pods that can be stretched. Plays pretty stiff too (ie does what it says on the tin!) And you can swap the soles out to full touring mode from Alpine if you wish. Pretty overbuilt too, so we haven't seen any issues with Deliriums since they launched. It is not the lightest, but for aggressive skiers like Harry (Or skiers that crash a lot like Harry) or cake eaters like lardy me, with a bit of foot volume, they are a good boot option.

The Fischer is another great boot, the Hybrid that we are stocking we felt had a very nice feel when in walk mode, which is important, and the lock/unlock system with it's two stages is a little different but works well too.

There are not many duff walk mode boots this season, as the idea has been around long enough for it to be dialled in. You just have to focus on the fit, over the brand, and you shouldn't go too far wrong. That is why I find boot 'testing' and 'reviews' a bit odd, and we have tried doing them here, because everyone is so different that you have to just get booked in and get trying them on Smile

Hope that helps, if you need any more info contact us via the store or we have a Live Chat service running on the site when we are not busy unloading new stuff!

ScottyDog
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy