Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2012/2013 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
paulmclean85, Jealous!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lovin' it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What fantastic pictures I am jealous to Twisted Evil less than two weeks to go please save some for me Very Happy
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Just back from a pre season weekend in Flaine Cool

Saturday visibilty was mixed but great snow, Sunday excellent visibility and they had bashed the pistes, so they were faster, but after the first couple of runs down serpentine we did mostly off piste which was awesome!

Skiing down under the DMC with powder above the knees, great start to the season... Toofy Grin

Unfortunately my head cam didn't arrive before we left on Friday, so will have to wait until next weekend for some video.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spoke to someone in the village yesterday who said that in his 9 years in resort, he had never seen so much snow in the village. Only 2 weeks to go for me Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is certainly a lot of snow around! Not long til opening now...

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has anyone the latest promo codes for Sport2000, Intersport and Alpinresorts ski hire in Les Carroz? I have news133 and Snowball for AR - The max discount available is with these is 46% and there must be more available to those in the know! Thanks, hopefully.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Word has it that is snowed again in Flaine, it did start as rain but turned to snow over night.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lots of powdery loveliness...just gondola open, powder up to my waist in places if you hike a bit

need some new legs.....they be old and tired!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 18-12-12 19:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One week tomorrow... no worries about snow coverage which is good for this time of the year Happy

Anyone know what it is that I can see on the Samoens webcam... on the flat-ish part near ski-school meet. At first I thought it looked like a "magic carpet" type lift... but it almost looks "covered" from the way it looks now???? Intrigued.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wondering if any of you who know the area can maybe help?
I have narrowed choices for long weekend in January for a couple down to Chalet Giffre in Samoens,
or Chalet La Palane just above Les Carroz. Does anybody know either one and can recommend/not?
Thanks so long and enjoy the powder for the lucky ones there.

Snow looks wonderfull - cant wait for Jan.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lizski, what dates are you looking at? Ive been trying to get something for a long weekend and finally booked yesterday. We nearly went to Chalet Giffre but didn't in the end. Let me know your dates.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are going from 26 to 29 Jan, and I have very good offers from both, wish I could do both!- have just received advice from ian999 that Samoens very pretty.
Just carefull to book something and later realize eg. access difficult
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevo_the_saddler, it is a magic carpet lift, and it is covered! full marks for webcam based detective work...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How bizarre. A covered lift? Begs the question why?
ski holidays
Looks like I’ll be in Flaine this Saturday at least, woohoo! Does anyone know if all the runs are open yet? Have they opened Mephisto Superieure and surrounding area?
snow conditions
Flaine on Tuesday a.m. :
ski holidays
A covered lift? Begs the question why?

There's a pair of them at VT. Stops them from having to dig it out if it snows a lot, it just piles up on top.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alr1970, Good point!
snow report
Rather nice if warm day

Gondola and a few other lifts open in les carroz and no one really here, some crusty powder off piste, superb pistes were rather pleasant, except for daughter grumbling that her new skis are too **** long, didn't know she knew such words!!and then a basket fell off her new fluffy strapped poles....more dodgy words were said! so its was off to town later
for new ones.(baskets thats is)..............

The off piste under gron lift (well to left and right of it) was fun, if a bit heavy, but lots of snow, its really very deep.

Timalets on the way home has excellent hard snow, lower parts of runs have been made a bit crispy by the rain last night.

All opens tomorrow............. so off to tete des saix.........then on sunday the world arrives
latest report
Saturday 22nd december

Superb day, just skiing aroung tete des saix off piste on my new fischer 98's with the boat hull and tip and tail rocker!. snow off piste is ok high up, but bit heavy/crusty lower down, quite a firm base underneath. Its not the light powder of last year. Its very windblown in places with rocks showing, but then hugely deep parts where it has collected. But overall did not seem as deep as lower down around the trees further towards les carroz.

Pistes, what i did of them were superb, just a few marbles in places

Not many people at all. Boat hulls work really well off piste! skis are a bit ponderous on piste, grip well though

At about 3.00pm it started to snow and visibility went a little, so now back at home, looking at snow getting thicker and also getting rather windy.........hopefully it will stay as snow??
snow report
We arrived in Samoens early today. Barely any snow at all driving to Cluses then as we went over the top of Chatillon there it was, the valley is covered. Not stayed here before so out for a recce later and skis on tomorrow.
snow conditions
We arrived in Samoens early today. Barely any snow at all driving to Cluses then as we went over the top of Chatillon there it was, the valley is covered. Not stayed here before so out for a recce later and skis on tomorrow.
snow conditions
Popped up to Flaine yesterday for the day, so a few notes from me for anyone interested.

Not everything was open, but it was very quiet, so lots of empty pistes to play on.

The notable closures were the Diamant Noir chair (and the same run I think, but I didn't look closely) and the Mephisto Superieure piste, both apparently due to avalanche risk according to some bored and friendly lifties. They're hoping to open superieure in a week apparently (probably my favourite piste in Flaine).

Lucifer off the top off Desert Blanc hasn't been marked yet/poles placed, but where it goes was pretty well skied, despite the entrance saying 'closed' – you could see the moguls starting to form. No sign of the new Demon run from that side yet either.

Lapiaz was also closed, as well as the Lapiaz piste. I think all the drags in the bottom corner were off, but Aujon was marked as open.

I started with a quick run on Tourmaline which was in great condition top to bottom – it obviously hadn't seen much traffic yet. The little red near the bottom was closed again though.

After that I headed up Tete des Verds, and over to Desert Blanc for a few loops around Belzebuth/Serpentine/Cristal – all in great condition with a solid base and some nice soft snow lying around. Heading further down though it became very hard and icy.

The new Aup de Veran is definitely up and running – went up 4 times in that before lunch. On the fourth trip the wind picked up, and the cars started swaying a lot, so we were stuck for about 5 minutes in between short bursts of slow movement. I saw 1 empty car swinging a lot – had a look as it went past, and it was no 13 Shock They did close it early, though I'm not sure what time as I left that area after 1pm-ish.

The Aup de Veran was pretty popular – most people seemed to be heading for that while it was open. The runs immediately off it were lovely – mephisto and diabloton - at the top, but got very icy about half way down. Turning on to calcite was horrible – really icy and giant hard marbles (Lapiaz closed due to avalanche risk).

It looks like there could be a bit of a bottleneck at the top of Aup de Veran where people stop to put their skis etc on – it was a quiet day, but still a lot of people milling about and getting in each others way – I'm sure they'll find a solution with some trial and error though.

Anyway, after a pretty clear morning, with some occasional sun, it started snowing hard about 2.30pm, and the visibility was suddenly close to zero! So I had to abandon the upper slopes and stick to the lower tree areas, trying to find non-icy pistes. Desert blanc was closed early due to the poor visibility.

It was falling as snow the whole way down though, no rain. It only seemed to turn wet/slushy about Les Carroz level on the drive back, so hopefully there will be good snow throughout the area to come Smile
snow report
Sunday 23rd dec

Busy and very warm

pistes rather soft under 2000m, lifts queues not too bad except molliets had a rather large queue, seemed mainly due to too many people (i.e 7!) trying to get on a 6 man chair....weird....... happened repeatedly while we were in the queue, about 15 mins in all. Hoards of people coming down portet coming back from vernant, as corbalanche chairlift was shut up to tete des saix.

Took piste skis out today so no off piste at all. Even though the rain has damaged the snow quite a bit, still loads of it, but very soft lower down. Timalets was particularly pleasant and grippy but different as there are now permanent poles down the piste for the race course closing.

Morillon was very busy, so only went there once, down a soft sairon and back up again. so ended up going up and down the les carroz gondola, then blasting down timalets, as it seemed quiet so could do that.

sorry don't do as detailed as fixx, Shocked
snow report
carroz wrote:

sorry don't do as detailed as fixx, Shocked

Haha, sorry – I won't be making a habit of it!

It was just nice to get back up to Flaine again and see the changes from last year, and actually, just to be back on skis again.

I won't make it back that way until well into Jan now – Verbier next weekend for a week Toofy Grin

I am keen to make it to a few other places in the Grand Massif this year though, your reports sound great!
ski holidays
Christmas Eve

Very warm and very busy, some lifts had very large queues eg gron and gentiene, but lanche (due to the wind) in morillon was closed which explained the queues in lescarroz, so we avoided them to keep skiing, and largely that worked. Snow on piste is very soft but excellent, one or two brownish bits eg link from morillon to les carroz, but overall superb condition.

Lots of bumps had formed by later in the afternoon, which were fun as they were very slushy. Seemed more like april than december

Had the most fun at lunchtime in morillon on Bergin, which was in good nick and empty, so did it repeatedly, with various challenges eg how many spins can you do in a row etc!! it was that sort of day, just cruising to loose the crowds. Off piste is a crusty yuk, may be better higher up or north facing.

The wind was like someone breathing hot air at you at times, its was rather weird

Have a good christmas Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
We could only get back over to Samoens via the Corbalanche chair as L'Airon was shut too and the Chariande Express and Chariande 2 closed early, before 1500, so we binned it early as the queues on the short lifts at 1600 were massive.

Agree with that odd wind up top. Not cold at all and yet every now and again a warm waft would hit you. I've never been warm wafted before.

Merry Cbristmas
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We could only get back over to Samoens via the Corbalanche chair as L'Airon was shut too and the Chariande Express and Chariande 2 closed early, before 1500, so we binned it early as the queues on the short lifts at 1600 were massive.

Agree with that odd wind up top. Not cold at all and yet every now and again a warm waft would hit you. I've never been warm wafted before.

Merry Cbristmas
ski holidays
We could only get back over to Samoens via the Gentianes chair as L'Airon was shut too and the Chariande Express and Chariande 2 closed early, before 1500, so we binned it early as the queues on the short lifts at 1600 were massive.

Merry Christmas

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 24-12-12 20:12; edited 2 times in total
snow report

Merry Christmas
snow conditions

Merry Cbristmas
ski holidays

Merry Cbristmas
snow conditions
Hey Basil, how could you get back to Samoens??? wink wink wink
ski holidays
Oops, read me ski map wrong, got across by going up Gentianes. Post now edited.
ski holidays
Oops, read me ski map wrong, got across by going up Gentianes. Post now edited.
latest report
Christmas day

Repeat of yesterday, rather slushy, but less busy, in fact very quiet....wonder why??

few more brown patches, especially steeper stuff, but overall still holding up well on piste considering how slushy it is. Lots of bumps forming Very Happy Very Happy

wind seemed stronger than yesterday and no more weird warm puffs

Found a disadvantage to rockered skis in lift queues, dutch persons put their ski tips under the rear of your skis and over you go...well nearly

Basil, things repeating on you?? Puzzled Shocked

Chistmas dinner now beckons..........yum
latest report
carroz, Yeah, not sure why and no sprouts either.

Samoens pretty much as Carroz describes. Excellent day overall, I was the fat tw&t dressed as Santa in case you saw me. Lifties were very amused.

Just scoffed the roast and polished off a bottle of Cotes de Rhone, loverly. Now into the village for a pint.

Merry Christmas
snow report

Samoens pretty much as Carroz describes. Excellent day overall, I was the fat tw&t dressed as Santa in case you saw me. Lifties were very amused.

Just scoffed the roast and polished off a bottle of Cotes de Rhone, loverly. Now into the village for a pint.

Merry Christmas
snow report

Merry Christmas
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy