Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2012/2013 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
adamantis, thats a rarity... it's icy almost always at the bottom. That netting has probably caught it's fair share of bodies snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevo_the_saddler, I know! It was good enough that he then tied to skin back up it on Wednesday (only got as far as the actual cascades before giving up and skiing back down...) Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another video from recent trip. This is from Top of Tete de Sais (Samoens) and takes in the route into Flaine

http://youtube.com/v/pg388tP-DUg
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
adamantis, Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Enjoyed that one too - Is the latter part of that video the Tourmaline that runs under the Grand Vans chair into Flaine- The one that people say gets hellishy busy at half term and has a lot of carnage near the narrow end into Flaine?
Are there many steep tricky bits on that for a blue ? (friends I am going with might like to try it but they are not so confident on steep blues) I ask as the camera never really shows how steep the slopes really are even the black ones. Very infuriating at times. Thanks again for posting it up. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kay, Yes it is Tourmaline - it rarely looks this good in February... and can get tricky, there is only really one steep part and they will hate you for it... but will have forgotten by the time you take them up again Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for that -just wish I could go outside half term. Sad Still only one more year after this and then I can. Very Happy
ski holidays
 cran
cran

! ! ! P O W D E R ! ! !

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Some of it a bit crusty, some of it a bit like treacle, but plenty of soft fluffy and bouncy too Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sheesh, I'm envious. Normally go to GM but not this time, well unless something comes up unexpectedly. Still, it's great to read the thread - thanks to all sending reports Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
billb, It was rather nice last week..............especially that bowl that should not be mentioned......................back in 10 days for more fluffy stuff
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are staying in Sixt for three days. We awoke to about 15 cm of fresh this morning. Great start. Happy

Up Grans Massif Express, then Chariande Express. Quick nip down Marmotte and Gouilles to find our legs, all with chopped up powder. Great fun.
Back up Chariande Express, and down to Vernant off the edges. shouldn't do this as avi level 4, but too tempting.
Down Tourmaline. This was horrible, but I understand that is normal. Quick coffee, and up Grandes Platieres, to the best run of the day on Mephisto Superieure on lovely snow and then Lapiaz.
Mediocre lunch at a place half way down Azurite. Anyone recommend a restaurant, preferably in the Les Carroz area for tomorrow?

Up Grandes Platieres to do the Les Cascades. Beautiful, and the snow here is great until the last 0.6 km. I thought this run was suppose to be 14km, but appeared to be only about 7km.

Will post some images later.

Cheers

Steve.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ringingmaster, The self serve at the top of the Les Carroz gondola is nice, its a long narrow building on stilts and has great views over the valley towards Flaine direction - south . Or if you go into Les Carrroz Les Airelles is nice, stayed there a few years ago and eat there in the evening, not sure of lunch time offerings. l'igloo at top of Morrilon chair is good also. Totally agree on Mephisto, its a great run at anytime.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Queues all over the domain

Fresh Tracks

Clouds on Mephisto
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffknight, Thanks for the recommendations. Happy Will let you know what whatever one we choose is like.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geoffknight wrote:
ringingmaster, The self serve at the top of the Les Carroz gondola is nice, its a long narrow building on stilts and has great views over the valley towards Flaine direction - south . Or if you go into Les Carrroz Les Airelles is nice, stayed there a few years ago and eat there in the evening, not sure of lunch time offerings. l'igloo at top of Morrilon chair is good also. Totally agree on Mephisto, its a great run at anytime.

Agree that the food is good at the Igloo, but after waiting an hour for our lunch on Saturday I'd have to say the service was poor

On piste snow conditions were great at the weekend and with last nights fresh anyone out there this week will have a great time I'm sure!
ski holidays
ringingmaster wrote:
to do the Les Cascades. Beautiful, and the snow here is great until the last 0.6 km. I thought this run was suppose to be 14km, but appeared to be only about 7km.

It's about 14km from the start at the top i.e. where you turn right off the Grand Platiere traverse. Sounds in great condition - often closed.
latest report
Well, today was not as sunny yesterday but still very pleasant. It was overcast until about 15:00, when it started to snow. Indeed, between 15:30 and 16:00 (while in cafe) about 3cm came down. Visibility was fine throughout the day. The on-piste snow, in my opinion was better than yesterday, being firmer and slightly harder packed than yesterday, feeling firm and chalky. The off-piste was rather crusty and heavy.

Spent the day in the Les Carroz sector. The best run of the day was a very fast blast down Plain Soleil and Timalets. Also enjoyed the un-pisted Truffe.

Lunch in the self serve at the top of the Les Carroz gondola was very pleasant. Will try l'igloo tomorrow.

When we came down, the snow turned to rain from about half way down the Grand Massif Express, so fingers crossed that the snow line does not get any higher. As we got back from supper in Samoens at about 21:30 it was still +3 degrees. Shocked

Tomorrow, (our last day) is predicting mid station temps of +7, with heavy rain up to about 2000M late afternoon and evening. Sad

Photos to follow
snow conditions
Hot air balloons, first thing

Massive cornice off the side of L'Airon

Loads of snow.
snow conditions
 cran
cran

Short Video from Monday in the fresh snow Cool

http://youtube.com/v/QtpO2FX77GA
ski holidays
Well it got to +8 degrees at Sixt (800Meters) at 4 am this morning while it was raining and is now at +5 degrees . The trees are all clear of snow as high as I can see in Sixt !!!
snow conditions
ringingmaster, oh dear...
snow conditions
Got back home late last night. Snow was heavy 'spring' lower down, but still good fun. It started raining when we were leaving for the airport at 16:30. However, looking at temps and precipitation for Friday, there is more of the same (rain) to come.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you are in the grand massif area this sunday, and want to do something different then i just got this from grand massif

Hivernales du Haut-Giffre
Thursday 31 January 2013
Try out cross-country activities free of charge in a friendly, family atmosphere

More details : http://www.hivernales-hautgiffre.com/

Sunday, February 3rd, from 10am join qualified instructors for a chance to enjoy a range of cross-country activities:

- Cross-country skiing.
- Target shooting.
- Biathlon (target shooting and cross-country skiing). High cross-country skiing level required.
- Ice climbing.
- Go ski-joering (skiing pulled by a horse). High skiing level required.
- Snowshoeing.
- Dog sledge ride, places are limited.
- Paret (Old style sledge).
- Discover equipment for disabled skiers.
- Learn how to locate people in avalanches (DVA).

Don’t forget to get your voucher at reception tent to practice those free activities. Places are limited
snow conditions
Arrived in Samoens today at 1000, sorted the kit out and got the GME up at around 1200. Conditions are stunning as there has been loads of snow recently and its nice and cold too so the trees are still stacked. Slightly overcast up top so light flat at times but no lift queues and very few skiers. Excellent afternoon but ready for the crowds tomorrow.
ski holidays
as Basil, states, amazing conditions, off piste all afternoon in trees around les carroz, so light, even the tracked out stuff is brilliant still

hopefully will not be too crowded tomorrow.......
snow report
Thanks for the updade - I am out there next Saturday (among the hoards) . Never been to the Grand Massif before and really looking forward to it -staying at Morillon. Flaine is showing 400 this morning. Will look forward to any more info you can pass on this week. Happy skiing snowHead
ski holidays
I'm hopeful that half term won't be terribly crowded as there's only one French zone off (not Paris), partial GB and Dutch that week. It fell the same last year and it was the quietest half term I'd known in 10 years of half term ski holidays spent in France, (7 in the grand massif)!
snow conditions
Skimum - are you in the Grande Massif w/b 16/2/- we chose Serre Chevalier last year as only one zone off and it was not the southern ones - and had no queues - Anticipating more crowds this year - as more tour operators go there (we are DIY)- but the area looks great and as I can only go at half term and managed to get cheap flights to Geneva - the first day Easyjet released them, thought we would give it a try. Hope you have a great holiday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kay, Where are you staying?

Forgot to mention earlier: My peage doofer was playing up on my last trip as it was not beeping at the barrier and I thought it was broken. Stopped at the APRR office near Dole...and due to exceptional circumstances it was closed, bug. Back into car and it started working OK so I am now chuffed. But the ying and yang got me back, unloading the car today and was accosted by...the local Jehovah's Witnesses.
snow report
Lol-I gather you got away !! We are staying at the Refuge d'Alpage in Morillon Les Esserts arriving next Sat
snow conditions
Hi Kay, yes we arrive friday (15th) evening, we have a place there and unfortunately are still tied to school holidays. The local area is not off the same week as us (it was last year) so I'm very optimistic! It really is a great ski area and obviously the conditions are fantastic at the moment so i'm sure you'll have a fab time.
latest report
Conditions still very excellent, a bit cold at 9am this morning, found heaps of powder off piste in trees in les carroz, so did that for most of the day (i really must get out more!!)

Not as many people as i expected, started to get a little busier at 2.30 so packed up then and went for a very late lunch. but no real bad lift queues, and off piste is really quiet.

As its so cold snow is just squeeky brilliant, and powder is so light, even if my feet vanish after a while

roll on tomorrow
ski holidays
carroz, Sounds good, enjoy Toofy Grin
snow report
 cran
cran
The last week has been pretty good Toofy Grin

Our regular guide (Diane) says it's the best snow since 1998 or sometime around then, and it's the best snow I've ski'd (but I only started 2 years ago)

Powder above the waist, snow in the mouth!

Is unfortunately going to be very busy for the next 3 weeks (half terms) but 9am to 10am should be bearable and at least we got an awesome week of pow before the crowds arrive.
ski holidays
Quote:

Is unfortunately going to be very busy for the next 3 weeks (half terms)

half terms for over a month, sorry - till 16 March. Best to start early, have an early lunch, ski through lunchtime then have another short break when the restaurants empty out into the lift queues after lunch.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
pam w wrote:
half terms for over a month, sorry - till 16 March.

Oh well... there will be a few weeks at the end of the season Cool

Some of the lifts aren't so popular so there's still a bit of acceptable skiing to be found until everyone bu99ers off.

but yes, 9am lifts and lunch time (French seem incapable of not having lunch) are good times to be getting the lifts Cool
snow report
Rather quiet and brilliant today....yet more of the powdery stuff.

Got first tracks all over the place first thing this morning, veloce, the black under gron was top of boot this morning, it was rather nice!!

Off piste is superb, however the bowl opposite vernant has very little new stuff.

It seems west facing slopes got alot more

No lift queues at all

still snowing now and has done since lunchtime.

just my ribs hurt as I landed a jump badly.....stupid phone in pocket!!...will be popping the pills tomorrow!
snow report
Thanks for the news (no queues either !! - sorry about your fall - hope the pills work and you have a good day tomorrow. snowHead
snow conditions
Kay, Thanks...I did land it, just really doubled me up, and phone sort of dug in somehow??...bit odd

Still snowing lightly now..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Gutted. Had a great day yesterday in Morillon doing Bergin and Stade, sometimes being the only one on the piste and really burnt my legs out so finished a bit early and looked forward to another go today as it had been pretty much snowing all day. Few hours later and I felt rough as anything, temperature and a cough and this morning I was not feeling up to it. Made worse by probably 8-10 inches of snow falling through the night and not having the energy to ski on it. Dropped off Mrs and Miss Basil off at the Morillon car park at around 1030 where there was a massive convoy of coaches full of kids. Think there was around 18 of them and it took me about 20 minutes to get in and another 1/2 hour to get out as the coaches were having to turn and reverse to park up. That probably made around 750 kids or more debussing to go skiing. Mrs said it was very busy up there with all of them about and she finished early.

Feeling a bit better now after dosing up on lemsip and as I look out of the window it is snowing again.

Lovin' it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy