Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2012/2013 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
We've been to both lifts and both broken Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wonderwoman, There's no way down apart from the snowy path I'm afraid. I've never known those lifts to fail - that's unlucky.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a pain, people were having to carry ski's up this evening, it looked really dangerous in ski boots. I might ski down to tourist office tomo and ask. It's ridiculous being stuck on one level.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a plus note, the snow out here is lovely....loads of it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from 3 days skiing.

Monday - Very murky, snow OK but not as much fun in the fog. Flat light (which I hate)
Tuesday - Snowed all day and although still foggy, in LC and Morrillon trees it was wonderful skiing conditions, light a bit better than monday too.
Wednesday - REWARD. Days like this don't happen too often. Walk to shop about 7:15 and it was still cloudy and looked a little grim, although I could see a little blue sky down the valley. As I got back I started to get my hopes up. Woke my mate and told of the 4 inches of snow in the village and that it "might" be OK up top.
Got to GME as it opened and WOW - when we got to the top, straight up the Chirande Express and decided to come straight back to the bottom because we were "first tracks" on perfect pisted blues and un-pisted reds. Then over to Flaine, the mix of pistes and un-pisted runs which were empty was wonderful. Cruised around a bit, ticked a "must do one day" off my list and did the Diamant Noir at the top of Flaine in knee/waist deep powder. Having done that, we later decided that the Gers bowl might be fun. I've not skied in snow that deep for a long time. Then reminded myself why I hate Cascades... too much polling and too much ice at the bottom, but a fantastic lunch at Lac de Gers.
All in all, Wednesday was one of the best ski days I've ever had - amazing!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevo_the_saddler, Sounds like there is plenty of snow, really looking forward to heading out this weekend. Just wondering how much snow is likely to fall at the weekend. Wednesday really does sound as though it was a great day, I am having a dilemma whether to buy the Grand Massif pass or the Massif pass. Staying in Les Carroz and my daughter will be in Ski school so not sure whether there would be enough scope to get over to Flaine and back in the morning or whether the Massif pass may in fact give me enough to play on. Anyone know can you upgrade the pass on a daily basis?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Garioch, OK - you will definitely get to/from Flaine if you want to do the whole GM area - I think it is only about 4 Euros diff??? We used to drop our son in Ski School in Samoens and get to Flaine up and down a couple of times, then back. Not sure where SS meets in LC??? If it's at the top of the Gondola then you will definitely have time. I'm sure someone else (carroz) will confirm better than me.
As far as the snow goes... there is loads at the moment, no worries now for a few weeks at least. The snow level was very low as we left today (snow in Cluses and in Geneva too). Whatever the forecast amount... it's rarely correct. It said 1cm for Tue/wed Happy there was at least 15cm at 1600 and more higher up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski school meeting is bottom of gondola, you will end up in the queue for the gondola with ski school and then have to go up to tete des saix on either l'airon or gentiene which are not quick. GM pass is only 33 euros more, extension on a massif pass for a day is 16 euros

see here at base of page for pdf of prices

http://www.grand-massif.com/tarifs-grand-massif

There is loads to do in good conditions without going to flaine
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with carroz, loads of other parts to ski. Everyone assumes Flaine is the be all and end all and "much higher" when in fact the top of flaine is on 300m higher than the top of Samoens (Tetes de Saix). I still think GM area pass is worthwhile if you think you may ski over that way later... however, on a busy day the run into Flaine isn't for the faint hearted!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Conditions are great at the moment, VERY cold (-17 today) but there is still untracked powder to be found. The only downside of the cold weather is that they have been making snow like it going out of fashion which means there are a few icey patches in key areas, the bottom of Molliets was like an ice rink today - easy slope so nothing to worry about but it caught a few people out, mostly those that ignored the "artificial snow" warning sign!

It was snowing again as I can down from Samoens this afternoon (16:00), tomorrow they have predicted mostly sunshine, but more snow for Saturday and the days after (10-20cm at 1000cm on Sat)

Heading over to Les Gets tomorrow so I will let you know what it's like over there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks stevo_the_saddler, and carroz, again for the good info. Really looking forward to getting out there... Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all – big thanks for all the advice about lifts, car parts etc in the Grand Massif for last weekend.

We had a FANTASTIC day last Sunday! Parked in Les Carroz, skied a few slopes from there for a couple of hours before seeing the visibility was pretty clear higher up, so headed to Flaine for a couple of quick blasts (from Samoens, so lots of fun runs on the way over too), then knackered ourselves out skiing the Cascade run.

(Btw, loved Faust up in Flaine – hadn’t seen it ungroomed before, it was delightful powdery moguls as well as the nice rolling side to side path. Bliss)

It was really quiet, and I was making fresh tracks in powder on piste quite often, never mind popping off to the side. If you saw anyone skiing about with their hands in the air, wooooping, that was probably me – a few people were laughing, my friends just looked embarrassed wink

Anyway, I was very impressed with the whole area, or at least the bits I saw, and can’t wait to get back. The 20mins less on the road compared to Flaine is really nice too. Cascades – actually really liked it, despite the hard work – I think we all agreed we’d do it again, but with fresher legs Toofy Grin

The biggest endorsement? We brought a boarder (Finnish, great boarder, excellent long time skier, knows his slopes…) with us who had never been to any of the Grand Massif before, and who wants to organise a long weekend for some mates of his – after that day Grand Massif is apparently now top of the list. Any recommendations for resorts for 5 guys who want a bit of nightlife?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sunday 20th Jan

Superb day, snow is excellent, and no crowds!!

Skied down to vercland in the morning and was ok mostly all the way down, grand cret was not groomed so its was a little rough, but fine. Verlarge was superb.

Off piste from top of tete de saix found some untracked powder, and spent all afternoon around vernant and tete des saix off piste, was very excellent and not busy at all, even for a sunny sunday with good snow!!

Off piste low down is a bit crusty, went on the easy run from top of morillon down to sept freres restaurant, and it got a bit crusty below that. Little bridge across the gron stream has been destroyed by 2 trees landing on it!

Need to rent some legs now..............going out on the rockers tomorrow, miles easier than a pair of fat standard camber twins, forgot how tiring they are....how things have moved on...........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fantastic day today, great snow, great weather and no queues. A few pics from today...Apologies if names and locations are wrong, I was having too much fun charging around to pay attention to where I actually was.

Tete de Saix looking towards Flaine

Chamois?

View from top if Gentianes

Looking down to the from Tete de Saix, Samoens runs on the right

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Garioch, great photos, brings back some good memories!
snow report
Great pics, can't wait until Friday evening when I head out there with 4 friends for our annual "Dad's ski weekend" Very Happy
latest report
Great photos!
Really looking forward to the weekend as we will be in Flaine from the 26th.
latest report
Garioch, That is chamois

Monday 21st

Superb day, few people, brill snow, no queues, and rockers rule ok!!

Went to flaine, after a rough ride down a frozen bowl opposite vernant, was nice at the top, and frozen lumpy icy moguls which made your teeth rattle.

Up vernant and then right round the bowl under grand vans, ok, if a bit crusty, and people leaving rubbish all over the place???

Then up DMC and to Gers........to some fantastic snow, light a bit flat, but no one there at all, it was completely empty, so did that as long as my legs would do that drag.

Started to snow quite a bit, so back to les carroz and did felire bumps repeatedly, with some powder in the trees next to it, (its straight opposite the telecabine over the bump) again no one about all all. A few people appeared at about 2pm.

Piste conditions are really perfect

stopped at 3..........as 6 hours non stop is enough

Snowing quite a bit now

sorry i don't do pics Shocked
snow conditions
 cran
cran
My first attempt at a video (and my first attempt at Diamant Noir)

http://youtube.com/v/0z-61tWqpdE

Have some better clips from last Thursday when it was Powder city but I haven't got round to editing them into something short and watchable yet.
snow report
cran, Looks good, diamant noir is fun when its powdery, but when its icy bumps it not my choice

Tuesday 22nd

If anyone is interested in snow?

After loads of light powdery stuff last night it was wonderful......................

Started with a long traverse I had never done before, from top of vernant, all along the top of the ridge and drop into the bowl with grand van lift in it, traverse was a bit rocky, but powder reward at the end was superb, top is a bit lumpy

Overall a superb powder day, Gers was epic, and not many people at all, got loads of first tracks, just traversed further around the bowl. At just after 10am it was fantasy land, just floated everywhere.

Saw some more chamois munching away around gers. Had to stop at 3 as my legs were totally shot, that bl**dy drag!! pistes on the way back were superb, good thing really as my legs seemed not to belong to me...at all!! It was rather weird...however the secret stash on the way back was excellent as ever and hardly tracked, so did it on auto pilot. Timalets was superb skiing down, and empty....wish it was this quiet all the time!

Snow is just brilliant, not many people, didn't do many pistes as powder everywhere but what i did was excellent, fllaine had only groomed half of a few pistes and left one side powder which was good. One pain in Flaine, skiing companion had to get back to les carroz by lunchtime and grand vans broke, so had to use bus to vernant car park and then lac lift, took ages.

Overall a Magic day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
A stunning day, powder everywhere, sunshine everywhere and no queues...fantastic. Sorry too tired to do pics tonight.. Very Happy
snow conditions
Wednesday 23rd

Another brilliant day, sun, powder, and not many people

Skinned up to l'arbaron in the morning and had a superb powder run down, virtually no tracks, knee deep and sunshine, what more could you want, oh and a nice hot chocolate in haute combe at the end.

That took all the morning, then did trees around les carroz....blissful powder.

What piste i saw were virtually empty, seems even less people, no queues for lifts at all

Well i could do with some new legs.........just did not want to stop today it was so good, even the off piste at the base of felice was light snow.

Cannons have been running down near gondola, so snow is a liitle weird
latest report
 cran
cran
Haven't ski'd last 2 days as I work Tue/Wed but hoping theres some decent snow left for tomorrow...
snow report
Thursday 24th

Sunny day with fog low down....it got higher during the day

Took the piste (ish)skis out today, but ended up off piste top of samoens for most of the afternoon, as its north facing still rather nice powder

Very very quiet, sometimes just us getting on a lift....whats a queue?

Grand cret was groomed down to vercland, so was a brill blast down early, and snow was excellent, one or two thin bits near the base, but wicked fun

Corbalanche was in excellent nick, bumps nice and powdery, and trees still had some soft stuff as well, did it a few times as it was so good.

Did grand cret for one last blast at the end of day, it was a bit cold in the fog, then back to les carroz, with agile noir as a diversion, more powder off the side of it. Oh yes did the new red, in the morning which is fantastic fun, and quiet as you have to go down the start of agile noir to get to it.

Anyone arriving this weekend.......... snow is superb and due a liitle more on sunday night / monday am

off to gers tomorrow for the last day for 2 weeks.
ski holidays
carroz, you've certainly got me looking forward to our weekend in the Grand Massif, roll on finishing work tomorrow Very Happy

Any recommendations for weekend lunch stops?
snow report
carroz glad you are having such a good time.

BUT:

The First Rule of Gers is......DO Not Mention Gers!

In case anybody is not familiar:
It is very flat and boring
The drag is VERY long
Usually very crowded
Ther is nothing to see there
No fun to be had there

Please move along!
snow conditions
rungsp, excellent, sounds like Gers is one to make sure we avoid wink
latest report
Roger C, I don't really do restaurants due to my weird diet...but l'igloo a top of bergin lift in morillon is supposed to be good, and there is a place near lac de gers, you get to it from the bottom of gers (but then have to go down the rather long cascades....very pretty but terminally dull, then get a bus to samoens) that is supposed to be really good as well.

but don't go to gers, just very very icy and a long very steep drag lift that makes your legs hurt (last bit is actually true!)

If you can get a guide / esf and conditions are good, go to l'arbaron........... its better than gers!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz, Not going to the GM this year having been for the last 6, as Le Totem closed ( we used the Whizz Kids facility for our son ) cant stop myself from reading all posts about the GM especially your snow updates, just need a few numbers to come up so I can buy a place out there! Thanks and keep them coming. Trying La Plagne w/c 2nd Feb so lifes not that bad really Smile
snow report
geoffknight, Thanks....this is the last one until i am back in two weeks (have to work a little bit sometimes!)

Friday 25th January

Foggy low down, then in a band at about 1600 to 1800metres around samoens / les carroz etc, flaine was clear and sunny

Rather cold...i.e. very cold brrrrrrrrrrr!!

Went to Gers, but went to find some powder, and we did..........

Down some of tourmaline the blue on the way to Flaine, and then up Veret drag lift on the left (had to wait for it to open) up the top climb up right, duck rope, companion wanted to jump into couloir, er......... i didn't!! .......so we compromised with a smaller jump in around the corner. Then had a run of beautiful rather untracked powder all the way down into Gers....bliss!! Drag back up was not!! Sayed at Gers for a bit, then back to samoens via grand vans. The snow on the flaines pistes is fantastic, even Tourmaline and the way back looked fine for a change!!

Then top of samoens like yesterday with a quick run down grand crets in the fog to Vercland, its still in very good condition, even powder of the side of it.

Finished off with a bang down the bumps on corbalanche (still some powder on it! and then felire and powder at the bottom of that at about 1400m

Lots of cannons going with piles of snow everywhere, hit one rather quick, (in the fog!!!) launched into the air for what seemed an age, and managed landed it for a change!! Heart was going a bit........ Shocked

Some of the snow on south facing slopes off piste is now rather crusty and hard, but anything north facing / shaded is still light powder, even low down.

Got to go back tomorrow....boo hiss!!

One of the best weeks skiing ever................ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
OK - as someone else has donw the "head cam" thing... here is my first attempt with my new toy (GoPro HD3 white). This was one of those "perfect" ski days. The guy in front is my mate - occasional appearances from my skis/poles.

http://youtube.com/v/ZvgdtTkQofM&list=UUqeZh8egmJ_8ZfsjNRO8xmg&index=1

Not sure how you embed it?
latest report
oooh - it worked!
snow report
Really enjoyed watching that video - fantastic snow and so lucky to have it all to yourselves. I am out there in a few weeks -Would love to try it - but it will be very busy when I go. What was the colour and name of the piste - couldn't see the markers. I looked at the piste map but not sure which one.
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, What software did you use to edit it?.
latest report
Hi,
Anyone out there know if is cascades open? We are staying in Sixt for three days on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and will buy the whole area pass if it is open, but just the local one if not.

Cheers
snow report
Kay, Thanks... it was from the top of the Chirande Express in Samoen, down Marmotte red, then when on the more pisted bit is Verose (blue) and back down to the Chirande Express lift again. The lifts in Feb will undoubtedly be busier (as will the pistes) but those runs are generally very good (apart from the very top which gets mogulled very quickly and is manic.

Basil, I used iWeb which is free and relatively easy to use (free on a Mac)

ringingmaster, Not sure - it has been most of the season.
latest report
duh... not iWeb - I mean iMovie.
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, does look perfect. snowHead Days like that don't come along very often. Nice video.
latest report
pam w, Thanks. Just glad it was captured on camera. My family (because of schooling) only ever see it at half term... they couldn't believe how quiet it is in January. January in the GM is the best time of year IMHO.
snow report
ringingmaster, it's currently open - I would assume it would stay that way for the next week or so at least. OH says it wasn't even icy at the bottom when he did it on Tuesday!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy