Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2012/2013 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Boxing day

Managed to get out earlier this morning, much less busy and rather foggy, new snow above gron lift level (1400m) but quite heavy.

Got up to tete des saix and some very nice snow, especially over the back down to vernant, and also off the side of chamois (when you could see), but it did clear for a bit, then the fog appeared again, so went to morillon, where the snow was very soft, and very slushy in places lower down, with lots of fun soft moguls forming.

A few rocks on piste showing in places now as its so warm, high up the snow is perfect.

hopefully the snowy day will happen tomorrow........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A wet and damp day after boxing day!

All links to other bits of GM closed due to wind. Rain lower down, but lots of snow top of gondola. Enjoyable day if a bit damp, not many people about. Felice black very pleasant, so we did it lots (reasonably sheltered)

Snow now rather battered low down, and thin snow signs are up on a few runs.

hopefully will be better tomorrow and can get to tete des saix....for some powder
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think we'll (finally) haul up to the GM tomorrow. Plan is to park at the Vernant car park and pick either down to the trees of the 'greater' Grand Massif, or up to the bleak heights of Flaine, depending on where our noses tell us to go!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi All,

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and are geared up for a big New Year?!

This is my first post as a Snowhead, mainly to bump this thread to enquire about conditions in Flaine after yesterday's snow dump?

I am heading into resort tomorrow for a big week over New Year.

EXCITED doesn't even come close to describing my mood! Toofy Grin Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robcheshire, welcome to snowheads, did not get as far as flaine today as queue for vernant was massive, and we were having too much fun skiing off tete des saix.

conditions are brilliant, just gets a bit sketchy low down, but even that is not too bad.

Only thing that was not good was the lift queues which were a bit long, and the number of people we could see on the pistes which was very busy, off piste was excellent, even if the easy bowl oppposite vernant was a little busy.

we also found a new "secret" stash for about 90mins at lunch time, superb powder and lowish Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

place is rented out for new year, so our last day tomorrow, until middle of jan. but not a prob as i hate new year here, its just manic
snow report
 cran
cran
... tried to edit and quoted and then can't delete... ignore this message... rolling eyes

Last edited by cran on Fri 28-12-12 18:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 cran
cran

Last edited by cran on Fri 28-12-12 18:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were turned away from the Vernant car park at about 9am, and drove back down the (rather treacherous) road and started our day from Molliets. They couldn't get the Lac chairlift running as it had been 'cold' overnight.

Fresh coating of snow on the piste was great, but the enormous crowds soon scrubbed it off to reveal - in places - glacial blue ice in between the large soft moguls. Not a great day to be a beginner - especially since there seems to be a fair bit of 'undergrading' of the pistes.

Queued at literally every single lift, and a lot of stoppages... pretty annoying.

Powder off piste round Tete Des Saix was great just as carroz says, and the maine upper Flaine bowl was excellent, and rather less crowded than the 'non Flaine' bit. Runs down to Carroz itself in particular were pretty grim. Immense numbers of people on a mix of rain affected snow and man-made. It was like being in the world's largest indoor dome except - er - outdoor.

In a nutshell, it's better the higher up you go, the more distant you go, and the 'tougher' pistes you pick, and preferably off the side or even properly off-piste. Anywhere low-down, graded blue, and not too far from the resort centres - chaos, and with variable snow to match. New Year... omg. *shudder*. It's going be busy!
ski holidays
 cran
cran
lift queues looked very long today, but I was working until 3 anyway, and didn't bother with skiing the last hour when I finished.

The good thing about doing transfer driving is that you tend to get to work when it's busy and get to ski when it isn't... Cool

I hate lift queues so that's not a bad situation...

Looking forwards to a weekend of traffic jams and an overcrowded airport, but the skiing should be good for those of you skiing in the GM tomorrow.

Not much good powder last week, because it's been raining, but there has been some fresh yesterday and today and still plenty of snow and the weather should be good tomorrow so I've heard.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all for the updates today.

I certainly intend to stay mainly high in the Flaine bowl, but might attempt the odd half-day excursion to Samoens or Les Carroz.

I will certainly post a few updates during my week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Piehole, so business as usual then?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saturday 29th

Didn't get to flaine again......staying in les carroz area........Started with first lift at 9am, and skied secret stash of off piste powder repeatedly, and it was still not crusty and rather nice, even if it is difficult to get to and daughter managed a enormous headplant..........

after 10.30 am lift queues where pretty bad, especially gentiane and l'airon mainly because lanche was shut again, but goodness knows what they will be like next week.... moilliets was ok, large but it shifts quickly

Pistes very hard base with soft sugary stuff on top, but ok if you have sharp edges and like soft moguls..........skippy fun

quite a few stones about and thin spots, especially lower down

stopped about 1.00pm as needed to drive back....village was a zoo... cars everywhere

back in 3 weeks...when its quieter Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz, Just back ourselves - 3 days (well 2 and a bit as the first was a wash out (wind-out) with links closed. Days 2 & 3 (inc yesterday) were great - surprised its so busy - can't wait until I go back in 2 weeks and don't have any queuing to do Happy

Snow is great high up - as Carroz said, lower down is almost "spring-like" sugar. Rain/snow limit needs to lower somewhat... it was raining again in Samoens this morning.... hopefully snow higher up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're arriving on tuesday night going to get out wednesday morning, can't wait! there's a bit of snow forecast for Tuesday - perfect timing, providing we can get to our apartment!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking down in to Flaine today. Pistes getting a little icy lower down but up hight there is still good snow to be found.
latest report
Had my first afternoon of the season having arrived Wednesday night. Certainly busy but not quite half term busy. Friends said nowhere near as bad as last week Snow seemed v good but I only skied Samoens side and some close to piste off piste. Still, I thought a good start and was happy to see a long queue returning skis this evening. I guess people are heading out Friday to avoid nightmare Saturday. All a bit selfish I know but what the ....
snow report
Saturdays are usually brilliantly quiet (even in Feb), but last Sat was v. busy Sad
snow report
A question for those with better knowledge than me if you don't mind?

So a friend and I picked up some cheap ski passes for the Grand Massif on BuyClub, and want to take a trip over next weekend. We both know Flaine pretty well, but I've been keen to try out some other areas after reading all the reports on here. So:

- if we just head over for the day from Geneva, where should we aim for as a starting point, preferably with easy parking?
- if we want to stay overnight on Saturday, any recommendations?

Thanks all Smile
snow conditions
fixx, Les Carroz or Morillion you nearest links. Parking at Les Carroz adjacent to Telecabine, ski in/out from car park if conditions good. Parking at Morillon about 100m opposite main lift in the village. Both free parking and link in to the GM. Resorts signposted from junction 18, I think, on A40. Sorry but cannot recommend an overnight stay locally.
snow report
fixx, Les Carroz or Morillion you nearest links. Parking at Les Carroz adjacent to Telecabine, ski in/out from car park if conditions good. Parking at Morillon about 100m opposite main lift in the village. Both free parking and link in to the GM. Resorts signposted from junction 18, I think, on A40. Sorry but cannot recommend an overnight stay locally.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Basil, thanks, that's great. No problem about the overnight stay - we might skip it anyway, I just got back from a week in Verbier yesterday, and will be spending the weekend after in Morzine, so a weekend at home would be lovely! And the Grand Massif isn't a far drive from Geneva NehNeh

For anyone else looking for cheap ski passes, I just checked, and they are still available - limit of 2 per person, and must be used by 8th Feb: http://www.buyclub.ch/geneva/#/geneva/deals/grand-massif-dec-2012/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fixx, Car Park at Samoens too (5 mins from Morillon) Gondola up to 1600 in 8 mins. Will consider discount vouchers... looks like a good deal Happy
snow report
fixx, There is an ibis in sallanches which may be ok? Les carroz is Jnction 19 a40. Get to the les carroz telecabine parking early or it will be full, and it will be ski in /out at this time of year as timalets and combe are cannoned, If telecabine car park full, drive up to molliets which is about 10 mins up the road to flaine.

P&V fermes du soleil do 2 night weekends in Jan usually
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geneva is only 1 hour drive too - I wouldn't bother staying over?
ski holidays
Morillon or Samoens if weather is bad(good wink ) as they are only 700m up, Les Carroz is much higher.
snow conditions
We’re not staying over, woohoo! (No offence, I’d just rather spend beer money on, um, beer in my local in Geneva Sat night).

Friend is still keen on Flaine both days – I’ll keep working to do at least one day from another station.
snow report
after a big dump of snow to low level, the red and black runs down to valley level in Samoens will be fantastic, and a great change from skiing above the trees in flaine.
they have also added a new red run in Samoens.
we get on in Morillon with the intention of spending most of the day in flaine if the weather is a bit warm, and it is even quicker to get over from Samoens.
if you have grand massif passes, you might as well use all of the ski area, them just get on at molliets lift on a day when you just want to do Flaine, as its cheaper than a full grand massif pass.
snow report
mr_big_ad, Morillon is ok unless they shut lanche...which they have done alot recently..............then its a bit of a queue to get out of les carroz as you will need to go to gron, then l'airon or gentiene
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lanche seriously needs replacing, getting on that lift accounts for 90% of my injuries each year Puzzled
ski holidays
mr_big_ad, I agree... I avoid it as much as possible and use on of the other two slow lifts that also need replacing to get back over to Samoens.
ski holidays
iirc, you can park at 1600 in Samoens if you fancy it, which saves the queue for the gondola if you're out late in the snow.
snow report
adamantis, You can - but its about 15 mins drive. The only time you queue for more than 10 mins at gondola is Feb half term
latest report
Thanks all - plan is currently Megeve tomorrow (free skiing for girlies, can't really say no!) but still heading to to GM/Flaine on Sunday, with a fella.

I'm still pushing for parking/starting somewhere other than Flaine, mostly for the change (you all make it sound so good!), but I'm not the one driving. Plus:
- shorter drive than heading over the top and down into Flaine
- if it's snowing in Sunday, better visibility in the lower resorts with trees, Flaine is a little bare.

Either way, I'll have the full area pass, so can just ski out of Flaine if needed - the others are good enough to keep up if they want to Twisted Evil
ski holidays
A foot of fresh and lower temps... how wonderfully well planned my trip is... roll on tomorrow (or Monday when the skiing commences) Happy
latest report
What a very excellent day. Maybe not quite as much snow as forecast but I suspect some wind shaping of that. Certainly some lovely powder ro be had around Flaine bowl, but my word how quickly did it get tracked out?

And why did everyone in the world decide that Gers was the bowl to head for? Some pretty sketchy lines going on there. And a mahoosive queue at the bottom.

Freshened the pistes up nicely as well and sunny to boot...lovely stuff.
snow conditions
Sounds brilliant. Setting off tomorrow and will be skiing Monday, hopefully!
snow report
Snowshower, me too.
snow report
Just stopped for an early lunch in Flaine, as we're skiing Cascades later. Had a fantastic morning skiing between Les Carroz and Morillon - quiet pistes, fresh covering of snow, and visibility getting better through the day. Fantsstic visibility and a few flashes of sun up in Flaine - should keep getting better this afternoon.
ski holidays
Hello, I'm currently in flaine and just wondered if anyone can tell me how long the lift between the forum and foret has been broken for? We unable to get down the steps next to the lift due to covered in snow and a bit steep as we have a baby in tow. Any other ways to get down to bottom? Does the ski bus go there?
ski holidays
There are two lifts between the Forum and Foret about 250 yards apart.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy