Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski demo reviews 12/13

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I demoed a few skis which S&R had on free demo at Hemel recently. So for anyoe interested here's some thoughts. Me - not light, not precision technician. Snow conditions - quite cut up, soft piled up bumps, quite heavy.

Blizzard Bonafide 173 - Really nice ski, just schooching to the lift line felt like they were light and chuckable. Very, very agile for a 98mm ski and lots of fun fall line in the cut up stuff and easy to rail for wider radius turns. A very versatile ski I suspect. Tried them first and again last and they were still the best I tried. Would be very happy if I didn't already have a ginormous quiver and santa slipped these (in the longest length) in my stocking.

K2 Sidestash 18? - a big bigger and longer but still pretty easy to chuck around. Felt like they'd go like a rocket ship if let loose. No real tail kick so a lot of running length. Could still fall line pivot them then swing them wider. Would be good for skiing open terrain off pisteI suspect.

K2 Kung Fujas 18? - Supposedly similar to the Sidestash (per demo guy) but with a twin tip. They were OK but felt a bit dead so would not be keen on these. Possibly they were given a more jib monkey mount which I don't really get on with.

Salomon Rocker2 90 168ish - Not bad but definitely too short for me so hard to make a fair judgement. Probably not as good as the Shogun I tried a couple of years ago but then I like wider skis. Certainly a better effort from Salomon than the BBRs that they seem to have splurged bigger on.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Round2

Courtesy of inside out session and livetoski/snowshepherd's excellent demo fleet tried a few more things this evening.

Movement Buzz - 99ish tip rocker, pretty tidy ski, nice to bump down erm bumps, easy enough to flick over onto edge. Seemslike there's a lot of good skis in this width bracket now. Maybe personally not as fun as the Bonafide but a worthy contender I'd think if you're after a ski this size.

Movement Trust - The Buzz's big brother, 108 ish?, Nice grizzly bear mauling graphic. Truck and flicks and rails if you want, can't think of a lot else you'd want in a ski. I think probably would come out on top of the Sidestash for me in a ski this size and shape.

Movement Flyswatter - So while most skis are sat at the front of the class studying how to do proper turns and being all serious about torsion and edge hold and stuff, this ski has probably nicked some helium from the science lab and hotwired teacher's Corsa and is off doing donuts in the playground. There's only one word for this ski and it's FUN. It looks daft, got a microscopic effective edge but you can do what you want on it- tip it and dip it to do crazy tight turns, twist like a weathervane in a tornado. One turn actually made me laugh out loud - if you've got an inner 5 year old this this ski you want.

Whitedot Director - I've been waiting to try this for a while and love the big bro Redeemers. Competent enough in all areas without blowing me away which ended up being a bit of a disappointment for me. Maybe it was the skinny tips compared to everything else I tried which weren't trucking as well through the chop. I'd want to give them another crack before saying no though as I don't feel I got the best out of them.

Movement Superturbo - Do you wrestle bears for a light workout? Are your favourite pistes called things like Lhotse and Denali? Do you laugh in the face of anyone who suggest you might drink a Mojito or a Diet Coke? Are you called Per and have 80s rock god hair, a Bjorn Borg headband and bitchin Norrona kecks? If so this ski could be for you. Favourite direction - straight, Favourite speed probably balls out (didn't even get close). Actually pretty fun once you get used to it not being like the other Movements but I 'd want to make sure I'd taken my MTFU pills before going out for a tootle on this.

Thanks again to livetoski for his supply of good gear.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 21-10-12 0:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, well all I can say man is LOVE YOU LONG TIME

great little write up, can not fault you, the Movement Trust is my go to ski for everything at the moment.

Movement Super Turbo, well you were riding the little brother its only 192, the 202 cm is MTFU and more but a great ski.

The Directors got a lots of praise especially from people who had never ridden a rocker ski, especially after riding the WD Preachers

But my big apology for the afternoon and evening has to go to Helen, put her on a pairs of 168 Movement skis first, then saw her ski and put her on the the 182 Buzz, I have never seen anyone smile so much coming down the Hemel Slope

Nice turns Helen, but not sure about the comment about the Trusts, in that they have a spilt personality.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best news out of this thread is that there is a ski longer than 2m again. snowHead Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
meh, Laughing

After talking to people tonight then the links to the our little ski vids are

http://youtube.com/v/75TS7pIGoKs
The real ski test!

http://youtube.com/v/sQSoMdVnNyc
The out takes !

OH and the my lads little video for the Varsity ski trip which some of you over looked!

http://youtube.com/v/ZioDNjLxRt4&feature=plcp
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Did you still come out in favour of the Bonafides ? I think there's the usual trend, going one way (longer this time) and I'm thinking fat and wide got dismissed too quickly. 173 and enough to get by off-piste ? After all, you've got to try, who wants off-piste to feel like on-piste.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nickski, If you're asking me, for me, the Bonafides would be way too short in a 173 for outside - I'd be looking for a length nearer 190. Indoors length isn't such a penalty and they were very good indeed. I wouldn't say they are really an off piste ski, just a versatile all-mountain. I'd go at least for a Cochise though for me if I was buying Blizzard.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, I can't ever see me needing skis that big, but I did enjoy reading your descriptions esp. the flyswatters!! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy