Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gondola v. Chairlift

Poster: A snowHead
rjs wrote:
red 27, You are not alone, my favorite lifts are Pomas.
Me too, so long as it's not too long and cold.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjs, Very Happy We need to start our own little gang...

and you Pedantica Smile

Of course when I started that was pretty much all there was - ghastly old cable cars which ran twice an hour and pomas/T-bars. Chairlift's were very new and also very slow - this last point not being helped by constant stopping as incompetent British skiers kept falling off them at both ends.

Contrast that with the serene and peaceful solitary progress one makes on a poma - the sound of the skis against the snow, the wind on one's face - the cold steel rod between the old thighs (quiet at the back there) and on longer rides the chance to light up a bifta without getting tut-tutted like you do in a gondola.

Perhaps a separate thread for 10 Ten surface lifts? I'll get us away with Combe Folle, that gorgeous poma that connects tignes with the Val D over the shoulder of Toviere. I always lap that many times when in the area

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 11-10-12 12:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chairlifts are easier with kids I think. Gondolas, esp. those with skis on the outside, are damn awkward with kids and umpteen sets of skis. I really liked those lovely chairlifts that we found in Austria last year with heated seats and covers - Moraine in VT could do with a set of those being installed!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
Chairlifts are easier with kids I think. Gondolas, esp. those with skis on the outside, are damn awkward with kids and umpteen sets of skis. I really liked those lovely chairlifts that we found in Austria last year with heated seats and covers - Moraine in VT could do with a set of those being installed!!

Where in Austria was that? They have them in Lofer too (Edge of Salzburgerland and Tirol)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RibenaRockstar, lots in Lech, Ischgl and Zell am Zee
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for pomas especially when its dumping in the trees and no one else is around.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
surface lifts will always have a place in glaciated terrain and as a ultimate access for higher level terrain IMO (with lower uplift requirements).

T-bars ain't the only kind of surface lift, thankfully.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, " Rod between the old thighs.......longer rides " Fattes 13 s tongue has just hit the floor !!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any lift that results in you standing is absolute rubbish. Lifts have 3 purposes:
1) To get you up the hill
2) To facilitate the use of hip flask
3) To Have a bloody good rest in comfort
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4) Take some photos
5) Discuss what's for tea
6) Consider if it's too early for a Vin Chaud
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
7) Play I-spy (something beginning with S)
8 ) Laugh at the wipeouts
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RibenaRockstar wrote:
Megamum wrote:

Where in Austria was that? They have them in Lofer too (Edge of Salzburgerland and Tirol)

Flachau/Wagrain in the Ski Amade - they are luvvverrrly
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eeyore wrote:
4) Take some photos
5) Discuss what's for tea
6) Consider if it's too early for a Vin Chaud

Now come on, do we ever seriously consider 6? wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I alway use go in a gondola by choice, I find it quite hard to smoke on a chair lift.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I prefer chairlifts except for the ones with an automatic bar that comes down with no footrest. It always feels like my skis may come off at any time (even though I know they won't)
ski holidays
They all have advantages and disadvantages, generally to do with weather and how many stairs to climb. I even like cable cars if I'm not packed in like a sardine and I can see out of the window, they can often have stunning views.
snow report
I'm fine with all lifts.... unless its a T-Bar. Embarassed
snow report
RichardB, or ones you fall off wink
snow report
Eeyore wrote:
7) Play I-spy (something beginning with S)
8 ) Laugh at the wipeouts

9) Play Chinese whispers on the 8 seater chairlifts (more amusing than it sounds) Toofy Grin
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, thanks for the reminder, one of the reasons why I wear a helmet now! rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Chairlifts are easier with kids I think. Gondolas, esp. those with skis on the outside, are damn awkward with kids and umpteen sets of skis.

Very interesting. The when I was looking at the reasons for the chondola "Le Grand Cerf" at Les Sept Laux. The telecabines were intended for beginners, particularly school children while the chairs were for the more experienced skiers.

I have family and friends who refuse to use telecaines and telepheriques.

Does no one else play chair lift bingo?
snow report
johnE wrote:

Does no one else play chair lift bingo?

Laughing gotcha - I like that idea...
ski holidays
Detachable-grip high-speed chairs are one of the truly great innovations in snowsports. Chase round a mountainside using only them to ascend and you will ski in a day's skiing the sort of vertical that would have taken you half a week twenty years previously. Any lift which involves taking skis off I regard as a faff and there's also the frustration of not being able to appreciate the views.

But a gondola any day rather than a fixed-grip chair.
snow conditions
Also to add to the debate, I love pomas and buttons. Chance for a nice contemplation moment. Also when you miss them you can get amazing bruises Neh Neh (I have one at the moment from the dryslope yesterday which I've been showing off all day!) nothing worse than being stuck on a T-bar with someone you hate.

Also weaving around existing tracks is really fun!
snow conditions
Chair.

Chair with a bubble if it's windy/ snowing.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
rjs, Very Happy We need to start our own little gang...

and you Pedantica Smile

I would like to join if I may Smile T-bars and chairlifts all the way for me.
snow conditions
Turns'n'Turns, I'd recommend Davos - lots of lovely surface lifts there Very Happy
snow report
Chair.

At least if it stops you can jump off, and no sweaty skiers farts either !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think it's possible to overthink some things...

Laughing
I can quite enjoy drag lifts too, especially with some good music, and I like the French name for them (tire fesses, though I don't know how to spell it). Drags can be used for some quite useful exercises, unlike either chairs or gondolas and a steep and unfriendly draglift serves to keep incompetent boy-racers on snowboards off the slope.

I spent a bit of time on T bars the last few days, on the Tignes glacier - they're not a historical leftover, but the only way, as I understand it, of creating lifts on glacier ice. I don't like them much. I did go up one with one of the trainers of the French men's A team and felt reassured that he could hold us both on, if I wobbled. Nice to be in such august company, even if he did impart the unwelcome news that the télépherique wasn't just closed because the wind was high, as the sign said, but because it had been derailed.
snow report
Didn't something dramatic happen to that telepherique pretty much this exact time last year as well?
snow report
Ah the old whats- your- favourite- lift thread snowHead

I prefer gondolas. Chairlifts are simply cheap gondolas anyway, so better to have the real McCoy with all its comforts and safety advantages.

Hopefully chairlifts will never completely replace Pomas . Many Poma tows are almost as fast as detachable chairs but have the benefit of being much cheaper to install and maintain, less intrusive in the landscape, self rescuing, more resilent in strong winds and have a lower capacity - making the actual skiing they service less crowded.

The main downside is that they require an uplift track and some people find it difficult to ride them.

Cable cars are I think one of the delights of skiing. They reach the highest places in the most impressive way and at the highest speeds. Imagine how less characterful Zermatt would be if its slopes were all covered by forests of chairlift pylons. Laughing

I am being a little bit hypocitical . I do of course also enjoy a fast, quiet chairlift in the sunshine..... as well Blush
snow report
Quote:

Hopefully chairlifts will never completely replace Pomas . Many Poma tows are almost as fast as detachable chairs but have the benefit of being much cheaper to install and maintain, less intrusive in the landscape, self rescuing, more resilent in strong winds and have a lower capacity - making the actual skiing they service less crowded.

yes to all that. One short, fast, steep drag near our place was recently replaced by a chair and it's NOT an improvement. It takes longer, and because the 2 red and 1 black run it serves has some of the best snow in the area, means that it now tends to attract people who really aren't safe on those slopes. People are just such wimps these days. rolling eyes

Drags are faster than fixed chairs IME.

I very much hope the drags aren't all replaced. I've known several days so windy that only surface lifts can operate.

However, as a useless snowboarder, I can see a lot of argument for gondolas! Though there aren't any in our ski area, so one has to learn to ride a drag.
snow report
Quote:

Didn't something dramatic happen to that telepherique pretty much this exact time last year as well?

Yes. http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2011/12/05/1232129-tignes-bloques-pendant-sept-heures-dans-un-telepherique.html

That was much more dramatic - this time it just didn't go. I'm not sure when that happened but I didn't hear about anybody being stuck in it. the previous day the entire mountain had been shut all day because of high winds; it probably happened then.
snow conditions
another vote for chair
latest report
Depends on queue and destination.

If all equal....chair.....but that's just because I love seeing my boarder friends fall off the chair when they do that skateboardy shuffely thing when they get off and "catch an edge" (or whatever the excuse of the day is).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy