Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gondola v. Chairlift

Poster: A snowHead
Given the choice which do you prefer?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are getting bored aren't we?

Gondolas with seats...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which has the shorter queue ? That would be the only decision maker if they were next to each other, going to the same place Madeye-Smiley

Unless of course its raining Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skis off - bad
skis on - good
skis on snow - very good

but

sharing t-bar with enormous bavarian pipe smoker - not so good.

Can I be the only one who really loves the stately uphill skiing afforded by the poma? solitude, peace, a time to reflect and relax.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mystery option number three please Bob.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, Yes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chondola for me. Preferably The Sun Jet at Hochwurzen snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chairlift unless it's heavily snowing or really windy. You can enjoy the view much better and plan your next off piste. In addition there's no need to carry your skis.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless cold/windy, chair. More time to relax and look at the view.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fabricem, welcome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timberwolf, Good choice - sadly did not spend enough time on that hill on my last trip to Schladming. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, thought so - explains why they're so uncrowded.

another important point to remember here is that for those of us who expereince early-morning altitude sickness (Billious Jagerous to give it's medical name) then less people are inconvenienced by profuse 'liquid laughing' if one avoids the gondola
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27, unless you are stood under the chairlift. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chair bear all the way
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gondie when cold or making out.

Chairlift when sunny.
snow report
Chairlift for uninterrupted view/piste planning no faffing on stairs (depending on where you are) while carrying skis and gondola when its seriously icy cold/removing gloves to drink/text whatever. Any lift rather than no skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
Chair, ski on, ski off. No climbing steps carrying skis.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Timberwolf, Not the Golden Jet then? wink Laughing
latest report
Chairlift every time. Hate taking skis off and love sitting down with the knickers on my face.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Timberwolf, Not the Golden Jet then? wink Laughing

No, Golden shower wink
snow conditions
Chairlift every time. It may sound stupid to some but reason I won't go back to Val Thorens is too many gondalas and cable cars
ski holidays
patricksh wrote:
Chairlift every time. It may sound stupid to some but reason I won't go back to Val Thorens is too many gondalas and cable cars

Sadly out of necessity perhaps? The funitels operate in higher winds than chairs, the cable cars can conquer the steepest of slopes and it can get freakin cold up there Smile
snow report
the funitels are much faster than a chair though (if you don't have to queue to much or wait for the next one that is..) Otherwise, defintiely the chair because carrying skis is a hassle.
snow report
Old chairlift (like Schindlergrat in St Anton). Most people hate them so there's usually less of a queue and less people stealing the goods from the top, but secondly, I quite like the blasts of icy wind/snow - reminds me that I'm not in a theme park.

Or if you brought your bong I hear chairs with bubbles can be pretty good...
snow report
Chair unless it bitterly cold and windy, or it's a really old one that takes hours.

One advantage not yet mentioned is that on a chairlift, it's one bum per seat only, so you're never going to be packed like sardines like in the big cable cars.

Gondolas win for faffing, snacking, and general rearrangement of clothing Embarassed
snow conditions
Ganjolas rarely have slots big enought for 21st Century skis. On the plus side they're a massive bonus for singles line hoppers as no-one ever fills them even at peak time.
snow report
Chair because gondolas seats are always too small
latest report
Modern chair I think one with a canopy for when the weather gets really bad I always hate the faffing around involved in getting on and off most gondolas
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gondola are not cable cars. The latter are typically used in terrain too steep for chairs. So there's nothing to compare.

Chairs are not t-bars. The latter are left over from history and only time will see them disappear. Not worth comparing

Between those chair and gondola, I prefer gondola.

I like being able to stretch my legs, without skis attached, during the gondola ride. Try that on a chair!
ski holidays
It depends,

For lifts that supply return-cycle skiing, skiers/boarders almost always prefer chairlifts (for comfort now with heated seats and canopies) because they do not have to remove their equipment for each lap, and, as skiers/boarders are dressed for cold weather, entering gondolas can cause goggles to fog up, snow to melt, etc.

Gondolas are by far the prefered lift for non-skiing sightseeing guests, and are also excellent for access lifts that are typically only used by skiers once or twice a day. They are also an excellent choice if used as an access lift that travels through different climate zones- i.e. raining at the base station but snowy up higher. Gondolas are also preferred when connecting to large mountain facilities such as restaurants for logistical reasons, or for lift systems which will be used year-round versus primarily during winter months only.

Chondola or Combi lifts offer the best of both worlds, especially when configured with a higher chair ratio to gondola cabins on the line, as skiers/boarders almost always require more uphill capacity than non-skiers. On those lifts, skiers typically ride chairs, unless they are cold, or can see that the lineup for the gondola cabin is shorter. ( I agree with Bones that the length of queue is almost always the most important consideration!)

The 3 lifts listed above are all 'mono-cable" aerial lift systems which have engineering restrictions- for example the current Euro Lift code limits the maximum height of chairlifts to 15 meters above the ground, while gondolas can travel higher provided that emergency evactuation can be completed vertically to the ground from each gondola cabin in the event that the lift is stopped. (Most skiers who have been around the block have ridden chairlifts that are far more than 15m above the ground, but those are all older installations which are "grandfathered"). Anytime the profile is very extreme (large rock faces, etc), a more secure lift system must be used, which in Europe is primarily some form of reversable (jig-back) tramway (cable cars per ABC's note). Those lifts have far better wind performance, and they also have an operator who is available to assist in the event of an emergency evactuation.

As a skier, my least favorite lifts are reversable trams- they have low capacites & large lineups- so the operators always fill each car to maximum - 100 people with backpacks crammed into a cable car is the least comfortable experience of all. And they deliver all guests to the top in one large pulse- I'm sure many people have "stampede"stories about being in the first cable car to the top on a powder day.

So, to summarize, as a skier, I prefer gondola access lifts to get me up the mountain, chairlifts to do midmountain laps, and cable cars to get me to the top of that rocky spire so I can descend off-piste down the backside of it!
snow report
skierguy_75, WoW... you must be bored wink

Timberwolf, I was going for that lift too...
It's quite funny as whenever you start approaching it another decision has to be made... chair, chair, chair, gondola???...
snow report
Whichever gets me where I want to go!
latest report
Broadly chairs over gondolas for me hate the faff time of gondolas and cablecars
snow report
flangesax wrote:
skierguy_75, WoW... you must be bored wink

Timberwolf, I was going for that lift too...
It's quite funny as whenever you start approaching it another decision has to be made... chair, chair, chair, gondola???...

Rubbish , you're normally approaching it at Mach 2 with your tails on fire. There's no time for a decision , it's just whatever queue you stop in wink
latest report
Well thank the all mighty for the invention of the Chondola now starting to pop up all over Austria and one in Verbier.

A mix of Gondola bubbles and 6 man chairs on the same lift everyone is a winner!
ski holidays
Fattes13, hear here. If only they'd stick in the odd poma in there too then it really would tick all the boxes Laughing
ski holidays
I think it's possible to overthink some things...
ski holidays
Chairlift, especially if it's got a canopy.

I've yet to be in a gondola which has seats, has slots large enough for fatter skis AND windows that aren't covered in condensation so you can't see out.

I much prefer being able to look around the mountain on a chairlift, it's also easier for spotting lines and laughing at falls
snow report
abc wrote:

Chairs are not t-bars. The latter are left over from history and only time will see them disappear. !

Not true - surface lifts will always have a place in glaciated terrain and as a ultimate access for higher level terrain IMO (with lower uplift requirements).
snow report
red 27, You are not alone, my favorite lifts are Pomas.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy