Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie to Austria - where to start looking?

Poster: A snowHead
I know some of you have been booked up since March, but it time to get our bunch of reprobates organized for the next trip Toofy Grin

Only in the early stages so far, but due to availability (of my buddies) it looks like the preferred week will be 23rd February... Right in the middle of the French school holidays. Unfortunately, in all discussions so far, preferred locations have been Courchevel, Tignes, Val d'Isere, Les Menuires, you get the idea. Somewhere in Austria might be a viable alternative (let me know if I'm wrong here), but we've never been before, so don't really know where to start.

We're all competent skiers, but tend to stay on the piste. Quite like a bit of a challenge, so not just easy stuff, but plenty of mileage available. Easy access to slopes is important, and we're likely to have one single, so single rooms (or low supplements) would be nice. Recent trips have included Peisey (for Paradiski), Chatel, Tignes and Alta Badia. A good snow record will help the discussion along.

We will most likely be DIYing, so may need a bit of help with that, but firstly we just need some resort options to have a look at.

Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl, high, snow sure. classy, great apres and night life, fantastic lift system, 238 kms of piste and decent lift served off piste. I've always gone DIY, either driving or plane and train and found it easy enough. Just go, you can thank me later.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds just the job!

Corky, Does Ischgl have it's own station, and can you get there direct from the airport, or is some changing involved? Also, if you have any recommendations for accommodation we can use for DIY, that would be much appreciated.

Anywhere else?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Again, Ischgl would seem to be perfect for you.

Don't think (could be wrong) it has a train station, but from Innsbruck, Zurich or Munich airports you could get a train to Landeck (think this would still be the best way from Zurich, not sure though, check on oebb.at), then a bus to resort. Probably plenty of companies offering direct minibus or coach transfers too. Friedrichschafen could work for cheaper flights, would make public transport more of a challenge though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet, The train station is in Landeck at the bottom of the valley, about half n hour in a taxi, probably twenty minutes longer on the bus. Whether you need to change trains depends on where you fly to. Innsbruck to Landeck is direct and takes about an hour but the problem is that flights to Innsbruck can be relatively expensive. Other possible airports are Zurich, Salzburg and Munich. I've used them all but use Munich these days as Lufthansa fly directly to there from Birmingham. From any other airport than Innsbruck you'll have to change two or three times but the trains are scheduled in such a way as to minimize waiting times and distant platform changes. To give an idea of traveling time we fly about 07:00 and arrive circa 16:30.

As for accommodation it depends on what you want and how many of you there are. Lots of places including some very swanky hotels have lots of repeat visitors who go the same week every year and can be difficult to get into but there are plenty of other choices. However, you are going peak season so if you want to go I'd book pretty soon. Post what you want, hotel, B&B, self catering, apartment etc. and I'll try to help. If you need to know anything else just let me know. I've been there lots and am booked to go the week after you plan
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with the others re Ischgl. If you like a challenge as you've stated, St Anton should definitely be added to Ischgl. For both resorts try where possible to fly to Innsbruck as both are around an hour away (St Anton has its own station - although if going in a group of say 6 or more, taxi is the easiest option for a similar price). Thomson and Thomas Cook seem to be the main tour op flights but you won't get the flight only deals on web - call Crystal/Thompson for prices. Memmingem is another airport around 2.5 hours away, but you'd probably need to hire a car, although I do think that they now lay on coaches to the main resorts.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet, without wishing to start a big ooh ah about Austria v France. What sort of accom are you looking at and what is your budget? Also how ski in, ski out do you want it? Is the group likely to be concerned with a lot of apres or not? The Austrian set up will be very different to Paradiski, Espace Killy, et al, you seem to have encountered so far. 23rd is the end of the Austrian school hols which as I understand it aren't as bad as the French anyway so from that point of view it would be a good idea. But I think before you delve to far it would be good to know the answers to the above.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would love to go to Ischgl but it's expensive, although I'm sure you could find it cheaper as you're DIYing. Galtur would be a cheaper nearby option if price is an issue.

Also consider St Anton (huge amount of varied skiing, legendary apres), Mayrhofen (great apres, varied slopes and awesome glacier nearby [Hintertux]) and Schladming.

Saalbach is our Austrian resort of choice this season, our group LOVES Austria. I'm a lover of France AND Austria so not too biased.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies so far. A quick flight check has shown that we can get to Innsbruck, Friedrichschafen or Zurich from Liverpool or Manchester, so that would be fine.

We currently have 5 people (1 double room, 1 twin and 1 single ideally, though we have previously encountered the infamous "Austrian twin"... not my problem though Madeye-Smiley ) but this may increase to 7. I'm working on 5 definites for now, anyway. Budget somewhere in the region of £750 for travel and accommodation, if that's possible. Catered accommodation preferred - we usually stay in chalets, but I understand that there are fewer options in Austria than France, so half board in a hotel would be fine. Bed and breakfast would be ok if we could eat out for a reasonable price every night, but I'm not expecting that, so HB/chalet catered is likely to be better value.

Anywhere that involves a bus to the piste or more than a few minutes walk is likely to result in lots of whinging. Le Villaret was "a long way" (!) from the lobster pot lift in Paradiski...

Some apres would be nice, but we would prefer not to be living on top of the no.1 dancing bar in town...

I need to persuade the others that this is a good idea before we go too far, so I'm off to have a look at St Anton and Mayrhofen too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Anywhere that involves a bus to the piste or more than a few minutes walk is likely to result in lots of whinging. Le Villaret was "a long way" (!) from the lobster pot lift in Paradiski...

Yeah, that is why I asked. Although as you've discovered, it's not a given even in the French resorts, it's even less so in Austria. In particular if you have a tight budget. It can be done though and I believe you've got the budget for what you need.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet, Beware of trying to find 'France' in Austria - by which I mean that the two experiences can be very different. I'm struggling to think of anywhere in Austria that is like Courchevel, Tignes, Val d'Isere, Les Menuires so what in particular are you looking for?

Great skiing can be found in Ischgl and St. Anton, but by Austrian standards, they are quite expensive resorts. Mayrhofen, Saalbach, Kitzbuhel, Schladming, Ski Amade, Ski Welt etc etc are all popular for similar reasons - good skiing, 'village' feel, good apres, reasonable prices.

In terms of flights, as well as the airports that you mention, you can easily reach Salzburg from Manchester/Leeds-Bradford with Jet 2. Almost all resorts in Austria have a shuttle transfer service from the nearest airport to your accommodation - look at the airport or the tourist office websites. As there are 4 or more in your group, a taxi shuttle will be just as cost-effective and more convenient. Again, see the airport websites - e.g. from Salzburg, there are companies offering minibus transfers to any resort in Salzburgerland for €99 per vehicle.

€750 is a healthy budget; you should be able to find a catered chalet or a Pension within walking distance of the lifts for that sort of money.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The one time I've stayed in Ischgl it was in a hotel 20m from a lift. There are lifts form different parts of the village too, so should be able to find somewhere close to one without too much trouble. Ischgl also has cool conveyor belt things in places to save you the trouble of walking Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm struggling to think of anywhere in Austria that is like Courchevel, Tignes, Val d'Isere, Les Menuires

You can say that again! In terms of charm and prices, is that list in ascending or descending order?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
quinton, It doesn't have to be 'like France', it has to be good skiing. Some people put village charm at the top of the list; for us it's a nice-to-have - it is all about the mountains. I listed those French resorts as our starting point, really to show that we're not looking for some one-lift backwater with all the 'charm' and none of the terrain.

We'll be on the first lift out and likely one of the last back. Beyond a couple of hot drinks and some chips, little money tends to be spent on the mountain, so as long as we can find affordable accommodation, we should be ok. A glugwein after, then back to the hotel for food and sleep, rinse and repeat for the rest of the week!

For anyone who missed it in the list, one of our recent excursions was to Alta Badia, in Italy, which is not that much like France Madeye-Smiley

clarky999, Sounds good, can you remember the name?

Thanks for the info so far - from a tentative email, 3 out of 4 said mmmm, which in this part of the world is practically excitement. No.4 has gone AWOL, but I'll see him at the weekend Cool
snow report
Quote:

Beyond a couple of hot drinks and some chips, little money tends to be spent on the mountain

Wait till you sample the gulasch soup, and the Tirolergroestl, and the homemade Apfelstrudel, and the.........well you get the message. Part of the enjoyment of an Austrian skiing holiday in resorts such as Ischgl, St Anton, Ski Amade and (dare I say it) Saalbach-Hinterglemm, as well as many others (in addition to the fabulous, big-area skiing) are the beautiful, friendly and relatively inexpensive mountain restaurants.
Quote:

then back to the hotel for food and sleep

...oh, and that reminds me, also the riotous apres-ski parties which typically start at around 4pm and go on to about 7ish (after which it is perfectly in order to return to your hotel and collapse).
Quote:

glugwein

...the jagertee (aka loopy juice) also comes highly recommended!
snow report
Scarlet, Sorry, that was a few years ago. Google maps shows plenty of options close to the lifts though.
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours, well, in that case, it would be rude not to! I must say that Italy did give me a taste for the slightly finer on-slope dining. A slab of tiramisu (the proper stuff, not the frozen slop we buy in the UK) at 3000m, anyone? Very Happy
snow conditions
Not been mentioned so far, but have a look at Westendorf. Lots of skiing in the local area, but easy access to both the Ski Welt and Kitzbuhl areas via some long warm-up runs. It will need a short bus ride to the main lift station each morning though. Quite a few easy off-piste options too if you are feeling adventurous. And as for the eating/drinking options, suffice to say there are plentiful (and compare to France) cheap.
ski holidays
Quote:

Not been mentioned so far, but have a look at Westendorf. Lots of skiing in the local area, but easy access to both the Ski Welt and Kitzbuhl areas via some long warm-up runs. It will need a short bus ride to the main lift station each morning though.

No it doesn't - take the chairlift up the nursery slope, and ski across.

I love Westendorf (and rate it above Kitz and the rest of the SkiWelt), but it's not in the same league as Ischgl for the adventurous skier, even counting the offpiste stashes.
ski holidays
clarky999 You are correct. I've don't actually stay in westendorf, so had forgotten about the chairlift up the nursery slope as I've never actually needed to use it. Not quite sure how "adventurous" the OP wants...
snow report
Go to www.ischgl.com and enter your requirements in the book online option in the winter section. You will get a list of available options according to your criteria. A quick email to them and you should get some offers back pretty quickly. HB is far more likely in Ischgl than a catered chalet. A quick look at the location maps of the hotels and you will soon work out how far you are from the lifts. Anything close to the village itself is fine. You don't want to be on the opposite side of the bypass.
ski holidays
£750 for a week in Ischgl including travel in February? I would be shocked if you could get that. We're paying about £800 for a short break to St Anton in January (albeit in a nice chalet) incl travel and I always think St A is cheaper than Ischgl.
ski holidays
Scarlet, if you're not fussed about staying bang in the centre of Ischgl, you could try one of the resorts in the valley - Galtur or Kappl probably the best to choose from. we have stayed in Kappl twice and loved it. Only 5 mins in taxi to Ischgl or 10 mins by free bus. Stayed here the last time http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/index.php?id=13&L=1 and really was excellent and all for €50 a night db&B. The food was amazing - all sourced from the owners' parents farm. Right on the piste and some pretty decent apres ski on 2 piste side bars. If you're not overly fussed about apres ski, Kappl or Galtur could do the trick for you. Some great long runs in Kappl too.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, I wouldn't have thought Ischgl to be massively more expensive than Saalbach, and I've worked out that a party of four could do it for £490 each, flying out with Easyjet to Salzburg on 24th Feb (i.e. Sunday to Sunday), to include flight, airport transfers, self-catering accommodation, breakfast and evening meals.
I haven't allowed for Easyjet's baggage and booking fees, which would push it up it up slightly, although (unless the rules have changed) Easyjet has no weight limit on hand luggage and also does permit pooling of the baggage allowance (32 kilos per couple using one large bag).
In the above calculation I've allowed £20 per day per person for breakfast and evening meal.
Admittedly this isn't for a catered chalet but who needs a chalet in Austria?! Eating out is fun and relatively cheap and part of the enjoyment of the holiday. For example, in one bar that we often use, the very acceptable plat de jour (which could be beef strogonoff, chicken curry, spare ribs, pork cutlets etc, accompanied by potato wedges, jacket potato, rice, salad etc.) would typically cost between 6 and 9 euros. Restaurant meals cost a little more, but you can get a decent meal for less than 20 euros including wine.
As quinton, has said above EU750 is a healthy budget (£750 even healthier!) for a perfectly good Austrian resort, although I can't speak for Ischgl.
I hasten to add that I would always recommend a catered chalet when holidaying in France.
snow conditions
Tatman's, I can't speak for the rest, but eating out and drinking in Ischgl is definitely more expensive than Saalbach, though still usually less than some of the outrageous prices I hear about in France.
snow conditions
clarky999, Okay, add another £10 per day per head for Ischgl, and it still works out at less than £600 (and I wasn't including all the drinking wink )
snow report
I think you are hugely underestimating costs in Ischgl
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think you are hugely underestimating costs in Ischgl

Perhaps so, and of course I bow to your (and Clarky's) experience on that point, but, even if you were to allow an 'extravagant' £50 per day, instead of £20, (and last year we had a 6 course Xmas Eve dinner for less than £50!), it still comes in at under £700.
snow report
I don't think Ischgl and budget are often found in the same sentence
ski holidays
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Well they were both in the same sentence in the last two previous posts.... wink
latest report
Alastair Pink, Laughing
latest report
Touché Alastair Pink,
ski holidays
Cost for me this year

Birmingham to Munich return flight = £125

Munich to Landeck return train = £95

Landeck to Ischgl return taxi = £30 (my share)

Seven nights in a 3* B&B = £490 (or would have been had I not stayed for eight)

so that's £740.

Add on lift pass, lunch, dinner and drinks and its pretty expensive but worth every penny.

Crystal are offering the same hotelas I stay in for the week the OP is planning to go for £877 which is anythingbut cheap for a B&B. Cheapest half board Crystal is offering is £1114. OK its for a 4* but nearly all hotels in Ischgl are 4*. I've not been to St. Anton in a while but I don't remember it being as expensive as Ischgl and Ischgl is way more expensive than the other Austrian resorts I've been to, Ellmau, Zell Am See, Mayrhofen, Solden, Kirchberg and Kitzbuhel. I've not been to Saalbach though.
snow conditions
Quote:

I've not been to St. Anton in a while but I don't remember it being as expensive as Ischgl

St Anton is def cheaper (Ischgl caters to the Russians), and Saalbach is cheaper than either (for beer/food anyway, I don't have any experience of paying for accom in any of them).
latest report
Quote:

Ischgl caters to the Russians

Well to a degree, certainly in early January but not so much at other times. I always go early March and while there are some around its a very, very small minority. Not sure you can blame the cost on the Russians anyway. I've been going a long time, well before Ischgl had any Russain visitors and its always been expensive for Austria.
snow conditions
Interesting thread which am following with interest. Single reason I have never been to Austria has always been because I want to be in big resort with extensive as well as good skiing, but also we have always wanted to ski in and out and definitely never want to have take the bus, kinda like OP.
snow report
patricksh, Although Austria hasn't found it necessary to go in for purpose-built, high ski stations, there are plenty of extensive, interlinked ski domains with long ski seasons; also plenty of ski-in, ski-out accommodation - so don't be deterred any longer!
snow conditions
Errrr St Anton? patricksh,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy