Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski on rockers..?

Poster: A snowHead
This is a question, rather than advice..

Have purchased some Whitedot Directors for the upcoming season, and am very exited.

According to the Inside Out Skiing website, I'm a solid 7, verging on an 8 if I'm feeling especially fresh. However, all my skiing has been on Salomon Lords at a 177 (I think) which have now been shipped on to a snowboarding mate who's keen not to get left behind this season. Also have some CoreUpts that are being mounted centre as funds allow as a jib ski.

Main question is this - are there any massive differences in skiing rockers? Or do the main principles still stay true?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agressive and centred, hips forward on anything except soft snow where one can go with the flow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Simple as that?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shane McConkey's Brian Floss is a good starting point

http://www.newschoolers.com/ns/forums/readthread/thread_id/392258/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crusader, The article maybe a starting point but it must be noted that the Volant Spatula is a reverse side cut ski as well, so not like the Directors which have a positive side cut.

joe1890, just get on them and have fun, it helps to have more of an equal weight stance on both skis all the time, and it depends on what length you went for, the 178 or the 188!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This all you need to know about skiing rockered skis

http://youtube.com/v/uGmPg6ahGtU
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only correct answer is : Like you stole 'em.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They're just skis, you balance on them and edge them. They're more forgiving to pivoting, and a bit slower edge to edge so you can't rail turns with no technique like a skinny ski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, it was only a matter of time before someone posted Pingu again Laughing Laughing I wonder if they use Pingu in the patent law suits that seem to fly around on Rocker skis Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
joe1890, IMO Ski them modern style; after the intermediate Lord they will need more driving from the centre, with twin rockers they ski about 160 (from 182 say); if you ski them feet together old style on the tails they will turn into smearers on packed snow the fronts washing out in understeer. Luckily they are far better in slush than the Lord and actually do the same thing twice.

This was posted before DaveC and Pingu who says all there is to know.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, never seen that - love it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, love that vid, saw it a couple of weeks ago on here!
I went for the 188's, as they were the ones going for cheapycheap on edge and wax, god bless 'em. 177cm tall, between 78-85kg depending on what sport I'm currently in the middle of! Although blessed with substantial quads.
Just can't wait to get out. Chamonix is the first trip this season so hoping for some noice pow to get to grips with them.. If it's massively hardpack with no new stuff I'll stick to the CoreUpts more than likely. Although I've just got visions in my head of getting off the first lift, starting to turn and washing out... Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never mind the rocker skis, I can't wait to see the mate with boarding mounts on one of the Salomon Lords!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
joe1890,
Quote:

I went for the 188's,

Ok then the way you ski the 188 is just like fatbob, says above Laughing Laughing

The 188 is a stiffer design than the 178 ski, and this has a reflection in the carve radius, they are a great ski, from what you have said above about your skiing level then I would suggest getting a few runs in the snowdomes before you get out to Cham. The 188 is a more charging ski than the other skis you have mentioned and having a few runs to feel the skis could save you some Embarassed Embarassed

Good to hear about your quads Toofy Grin
snow report
joe1890 wrote:
hoping for some nice pow to get to grips with them..

Good plan Cool
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. any way to control the snow in Cham? Remember seeing a James May thing where he tried to make it snow... snowHead

Are big rockered skis actually going to be useable in a fridge though? Or will I end up making a suprise entry through the wall at the bottom?!
ski holidays
joe1890 wrote:
Are big rockered skis actually going to be useable in a fridge though?

rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
shoogly, forgive me if you're not inspiring me with confidence here... Shocked
ski holidays
joe1890 wrote:
Are big rockered skis actually going to be useable in a fridge though? Or will I end up making a suprise entry through the wall at the bottom?!

Think you might have the wrong idea about rocker - rockered skis are more not less manouvreable for a given length. I skied a few rockered skis indoors at the weekends and actually found them more pleasant than a trad SL ski in the chopped up mank.
snow conditions
joe1890 wrote:
shoogly, forgive me if you're not inspiring me with confidence here... Shocked

Sorry, but i thought that someone who had bought a pair of big rockered skis may have done the research or testing beforehand.

On the one hand, if it dumps 3ft of fresh in the fridge before you get there the skis will be fine. On the other hand, if it dumps 3ft of fresh in the fridge before you get there, the slope isn't going to be steep enough to make any use of it

Ski what you want, where you want, keep smiling and as long as your happy, ski what you want in the fridge... just you might have more fun in there on a more nimble, narrower, responsive pair of planks on your feet.

Making a big hole in the wall at the bottom of the slope is more to do with skiing ability than size of ski or rockerness Very Happy
ski holidays
Haha, very true. Will ensure testicles are attached and have a blast.

Did do plenty of reading and research into the directors before buying them - in all honesty, wasn't expecting to buy them this year but when the price is right, then self control is normally non-existent... But never mind.
I'm sure I'll bounce!
latest report
joe1890 wrote:
but when the price is right, then self control is normally non-existent...

See the sportpursuit thread! Laughing
snow report
joe1890 wrote:

Rockered skis are more manoeuvrable (on hard snow, half the ski is up in the air).

They'll be fine, my sister now uses Directors (168 though) for everything. Seem to be a really good versatile ski, I want a pair but will be waiting 'til next season...
snow report
fatbob wrote:
joe1890 wrote:

Think you might have the wrong idea about rocker - rockered skis are more not less manouvreable for a given length. I skied a few rockered skis indoors at the weekends and actually found them more pleasant than a trad SL ski in the chopped up mank.

Maybe you need some blades?
snow conditions
davidof, For sure I need to work on my gibbon steeze - I'm backseat but still need to improve the Orang Utan look.
snow report
clarky999, I have my pair of 188 Directors for sale since I'm broken Toofy Grin
latest report
DaveC wrote:

so you can't rail turns with no technique like a skinny ski.

Hmm, think this might be my problem. I found my Directors hellishly difficult to ski hard on piste last year...great off piste, but outside ski just kept understeering when I tried to get them over. Given the reviews they get I was pretty sure it was a technique problem - nice to know it's a complete lack of technique though Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the basic technique is to find some steep offpiste, wait until someone is skiing below you, drop in on them, ski massively in the back seat so only the rear half of the ski is in contact with the snow, straightline at the original skier, manage to steer past them with some awkward weight changes whilst whooping like a baboon, repeat. Laughing Twisted Evil
latest report
meh wrote:
I think the basic technique is to find some steep offpiste, wait until someone is skiing below you, drop in on them, ski massively in the back seat so only the rear half of the ski is in contact with the snow, straightline at the original skier, manage to steer past them with some awkward weight changes whilst whooping like a baboon, repeat. Laughing Twisted Evil

Then post a shakey video to YouTube from your helmet cam of just your ski tips ploughing through the snow. At the end of the run you need to bang helmets with your buddy and say things like

"that was rad, man"
"shred the gnarr"
"awwwesom"

with a pseudo American accent despite coming from the home counties.

Getting the back seat position is helped by having a couple of ice axes and crevasse rescue kit slung round your back bottom even though your are skiing in la Clusaz.
latest report
shoogly, love your word
Quote:

rockerness

have you copyrighted that otherwise I will nick it Toofy Grin

We are skiing rocker skis in the fridge all the time and its just as easy if not easier than sl skis.

If your interested joe1890, we are with the Inside Out boys at Hemel on the 20th Oct
latest report
Must be time to post this again:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5987841/truth-about-powder-skis
snow report
livetoski, nick away Very Happy
latest report
davidof, Laughing

20th October is written off due to work. Damn bills. Otherwise I would have been keen to come and embarrass myself!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy