Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overwhelming choice for one ski quiver ...

Poster: A snowHead
I'm stuck on how overwhelming the choice is for an all-mountain, one ski quiver! Especially when ski preference is so subjective. You read 3 pro reviews of the same ski, and you get 3 different opinions as to the ski's level suitability, on/off piste ratio etc..and without spending a fortune, as individuals, we can't possibly test all the options. Anyway, I'm 172cm H, 68-70kg, reasonably fit and agile, and probably around a level 6/7 though not particularly aggressive, with some practical off piste experience but using totally unsuitable skis! I'm reckoning that I don't have the stature to benefit from the Titanium stiffness of some all-mountain skis, so I am looking at the following rocker types to take me a bit further afield on occasion:

Atomic Blackeye standard NOT Ti titanium version 167cm
K2 Impact 167cm
Salomon Enduro RXT 800 168cm
Salomon Enduro XT800 168cm
Rossignol Experience 83 168cm

Anyone have any experience, ownership or opinions on these, or indeed any others worth checking out?

Thanks in advance Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might as well add the Legend Sultan 85 to the list too. It is about as close to a one ski quiver as I've found, which is why I have them - and they were dirt cheap.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski choice is highly dependent on the ability, weight, aggressiveness of the skier as well as where and what they ski and their own preferences re where they prepared to accept lower performance. Attempts at a one ski quiver can be expected to be even more diverse. That said people agonise far too much over ski purchase - buy something that looks the right length, width and shape for you. If you don't know what those characteristics will do - demo skis which differ in each parameter to compare.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Salomon Czar with raiser or Baron, all you need. Allround all mountain; but not if you only ski on piste and do not like finishing short radius turns.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fugee, What fatbob, said, but I would only look at the XT800 based on your desciptions above from the Salomon list. (I have a vested interest in relation to Salomon)

But the XT800 is just a fantastic ski and most people I have reccomended it to have loved it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
Ski choice is highly dependent on the ability, weight, aggressiveness of the skier as well as where and what they ski and their own preferences re where they prepared to accept lower performance. Attempts at a one ski quiver can be expected to be even more diverse. That said people agonise far too much over ski purchase - buy something that looks the right length, width and shape for you. If you don't know what those characteristics will do - demo skis which differ in each parameter to compare.

Exactly, my "one ski quiver" would be our Director!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi fugee, ... I notice you've got the Salomon Enduro XT800 on your list.

I tried these out last winter for just a day at Lake Louise and I liked em a lot. Though there was no chance to try them off piste so I cant give you a full review on them.
The "jury is out" for me on rockers though, I think I'm a bit too old school.

I tried quite a few different skis in the Fridge of Hemmel in April, and my favourites were Kastle Mx78 ..perhaps I just liked them because they were expensive. But you cant really tell in the fridge.

I also tried the BBR but I did not like them at all or the Dynastars & Rossignol (forget which models)
The Volkl RTM was ok so was the K2 Charger But they did not excite me. (spoilt by the Kastles)

Anyway I've bought a pair of Enduro XT800 they seem all right in the fridge I hope there good on the mountain. (Its my first pair of Salomons)
Brand loyalty is a big part of being happy with skis and so is the colour (God punishes those who don't co-ordinate)
My loyalty has usually been with Volkl & Rossignol.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a look at http://www.ripnwood.com/ absolutely awesome......... Cool snowHead Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the_doc,

Are you going to declare your interests?

fugee,

I went Legend Sultan 85 after far too many years on Solly Scream Xs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Are you going to declare your interests?

he did say 'our' what more do you want?

I'll put in an vote for the K2's but I'm heavier than you and I probably ski more aggressively (I like to stomp moguls on black runs when I’m feeling annoyed). If you are planning to step up I’d say go with them but if you just wish to take it easier and ski at roughly the level you are I’d give them a miss. Sallies don’t suit me so I’ll not comment on them. The WhiteDot’s doc is referring to are a great ski which you can get from Jon (who will also provide all sorts of useful additional help on a purchase) so they are worth considering as well but probably again only if you intend to step up your game off piste. I think Rossignol have dropped back a touch compared to others in recent years so I’d prob. avoid them.

I think the real questions are whether you plan to ski ‘better’ and where you plan to do it. If you are a 75% piste/25% powder/no backwoods/no mogul’s/no park/no change kinda guy then that’s very different from a 20% piste/20% powder/20% backwoods/20% mogul’s/20% park/’trying to improve in all areas’ kind guy yet both could legitimately be after be after an ‘all mountain’ ski. Horses for courses, m8.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fugee, welcome, might be worth looking at the RXT 750 also, for your weight and level these could be a good option, they don't have quite the same edge hold as the higher models but still very capable and surprisingly stable at speed, they will be easier Imv to bend and "shape" your turns, especially handy on steeper pitches where a stiffer ski could have you jamming on the "sideways anchors" which can get very tiring!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the_doc wrote:

Don't you need to MTFU and admit to the Ragnarok? wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fugee, Pity you want a short ski 167cms ................. On ebay at the moment "SALOMON ENDURO XT800 175cm All Mountain Rocker Skis + Z12 Bindings (used once)" (a week's use).................... start price of £200, no bids as of now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, thanks so far to all, lots more happy internet reading to do!

[quote="RattytheSnowRat"]
Quote:

I think the real questions are whether you plan to ski ‘better’ and where you plan to do it. If you are a 75% piste/25% powder/no backwoods/no mogul’s/no park/no change kinda guy then that’s very different from a 20% piste/20% powder/20% backwoods/20% mogul’s/20% park/’trying to improve in all areas’ kind guy yet both could legitimately be after be after an ‘all mountain’ ski. Horses for courses, m8.

I'm heading to Colorado in Feb/March next year and looking ahead to that really, so I'm hoping to get some experience on whole range of different snow. Saying that, I'm after a ski which will take me through the next few seasons, be it groomed or ungroomed. Realistically, I'm after something which is predominantly for the piste, but won't complain too hard as I head for the trees! Big ask I know, but I guess it's just finding that ski which fits the bill closest.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was in the same boat as you. i went to cas to demo. tried the atomic. hated them.tried the volkl rtm quite liked them but nothing special. I then tried thesalomont first the xt800 which i really got on with. They then got me to try the rxt800 which just felt so much better. It just gave you more back.
After doing some more research(trying to find them cheaper than ellis brigham i stumbled across the K2 impact. Everything i read about it compared to the salomon was good and i found a 2011/12 set for 245 so i took the plunge and ordered them. Tried them out in the fridge last week loved them every bit as good as the salomon which i also gave another demo just to check. Great skis both sets but i am glad i went for the K2. And still a few last seasons sets knocking about for 299 i saw the other day
snow report
fugee, kastle mx88 168 !!! Enough said Cool got mine in colarado BTW

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-10-12 20:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
fugee wrote:
I'm heading to Colorado in Feb/March next year and looking ahead to that really

Seems like a shame to take a shorty skinny pistey iceskate out there Smile
latest report
Serriadh, Hence my rec. of the Czar Off-Piste super++ on piste Super G.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
the_doc wrote:

Don't you need to MTFU and admit to the Ragnarok? wink

Hehe, yeah, I should have called that one!

Musher, what interests, maybe I didnt make myself clear but just agreeing with Fatbob that people's idea of a one ski quiver can be so dramatically different, hence I would go for a 107 underfoot twin rocker, twin tip whilst others (inc the OP) looks at a piste biased ride like the Enduro...the two skis are worlds apart when you look at intended use!

It just means you have a massive choice and spectrum of ability, often overwhelmingly so, as allways I say try to test 'em before buying...but if that fails then choose the one's that make you look good in the bar snowHead
ski holidays
the_doc wrote:

It just means you have a massive choice and spectrum of ability, often overwhelmingly so, as allways I say try to test 'em before buying...but if that fails then choose the one's that make you look good in the bar snowHead

So very true! Though if 10 people reply to my post saying, "Don't touch the ?.?.?.?, they're rubbish", it all helps to narrow things down. Wish I had the skill to use a set of 107s!! I have to say, the White Dots do look very cool though.....
latest report
Fischer watea 84 should be on your list. Don't be afraid of a wee bit extra width either. Line prophet 90s will see you right Very Happy
snow report
fugee wrote:
I'm reckoning that I don't have the stature to benefit from the Titanium stiffness of some all-mountain skis

fugee wrote:
Wish I had the skill to use a set of 107s!!

I think you are making some possibly unwarranted assumptions, here. This probably means you need to spend at least a little time demoing a few skis, especially some nice wide rockered and tapered ones like the Director if at all possible.

Anyway, just to add to the stack of suggestions... how about the Rossignol S3? Bit more off-piste biased than the ones you're looking at, but should still be quite reasonable on-piste, too. Might even be a few cheap deals floating around still.
ski holidays
I was sort of in the same quandary last year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79949&highlight=

Went with the Scott Neo's and they have been great for the week that I have used them for, hopefully have a few more weeks on them this year !
latest report
fugee, I would be a similar skill level to you, but would be a good bit heavier at 94kg. I had the XT800's last year as hire skis and found them really good. I primarily used them on piste, with a (very) small bit of off piste between runs and couldn't really fault them. I'm now in the same position as you trying to decide what to buy for this incoming year and at the minute I have it narrowed down to the RXT800, XT800 or blackeye TI's and am struggling to make a decision, but the general consensus seems to be that there are a lot of good ski's out there at the minute and as long as you pick one within your ability level and with the correct on/off bias you won't be disappointed with what you get.
latest report
the_doc,

My daughter loves the way the directors look, but then she says that I'm not allowed to buy any more skis Crying or Very sad
snow report
fugee, The the_doc, and fatbob, have summed it up when saying
Quote:

but just agreeing with Fatbob that people's idea of a one ski quiver can be so dramatically different,

Everyone has different opinions and its all down to what you want to ski most of the time, for example my one quiver has changed from 94 under foot 3 years ago to 108 under foot now, and my crazy son skis 125 underfoot all the time Shocked its all horses for courses and ski design is changing pretty quick these days, the one quiver ski will always be a bit of a compromise, its just finding the ski that suits you the best, so as mentioned above try as many as possible before taking the plunge.
latest report
+1 vote for the Rossignol S3. 98cm underfoot. Very easy to ski. More of an off-piste bias than the skis you are looking at. id call it a genuine 50/50 that said they can carve reasonably short radius turns on steep ice/ hardpack better than some 85mm underfoot skis. Have only really found the end of the envelope of them in fairly choppy firm crud when I found the extra bulk of the directors more confidence inspiring. That said for 90% of the skiing id do, I enjoy the s3 more than anything I've done before.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm heading to Colorado in Feb/March next year and looking ahead to that really, so I'm hoping to get some experience on whole range of different snow. Saying that, I'm after a ski which will take me through the next few seasons, be it groomed or ungroomed. Realistically, I'm after something which is predominantly for the piste, but won't complain too hard as I head for the trees! Big ask I know, but I guess it's just finding that ski which fits the bill closest.

If you are doing that then I would get a more piste biased ski and rent a powder muncher when you are out there for the days when you plan to really lose sight of the piste. If you plan to do much more off-piste in the future then I'd go for the WhiteDot Preacher (with due deference to doc, I think the Director is more of a + backcountry ski, which - form what you've said -you are prob. not that interested in. If you are then go for that one instead of the Precher). If you plan to keep your current piste first focus then I'd probaly go for one of the last season K2/Marker packages that are around at the moment - very good value.

That said, for posing points the WhiteDot's win hands down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about Mantra ..... surprised it's not been mentioned yet .... or Gotama ..... bet you wind up skiing more Off Piste and these will both suit you fine.
snow report
What about the Stockli Stormrider VXL or Kaestle MX88? I have the former and love it; read many rave reviews on the latter.
ski holidays
I'm looking forward to trying the WhiteDot's soon and have also skied on the Kästle's which are a great ski. Although I haven't skied any of those on your original list I'd definitely be adding the Salomon BBR 8.9's to that list, probably in a 176cm length for your height. I have a pair of these and skied them for the whole of last winter. For me they are the best one quiver ski I've ever skied on. Tremendous edge grip on a variety of piste conditions, great float and fun off piste. I've not tried the new 10.0's but I will in the coming weeks.
As I said they would definitely be on my short list.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy