Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping instructors?

Poster: A snowHead
10% of the lesson cost as a tip to the instructor (if you had a good lesson). I really cannot see any instructor refusing a tip or being offended my it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
double post

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 8-10-12 12:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In North America I gather that the normal tip is 15% rather than the British 10%. And they tip in gas stations! In France, though, the service in restaurants is included in the price by law - so they are not expecting more than just rounding up the bill a bit if you are pleased with them. Not sure if this is so in any other European countries (?)
In Canada the one time I have done a week of Heli Skiing we discovered to our horror that it was normal to tip on the basis of the whole cost of the holiday (guiding, heli and hotel) , which meant several hundred dollars!!! We just didn't have enough money with us.

In the Alps 6 of us normally hire a guide for 6 days (normally an 8 hour day). We pay for his lunch and normally tip at the end of the week: usually €25 or €30 each. I know that many people feel the lunch is enough but guides are not paid that much for their skill and have a precarious existence, paying for lots of equipment and very high insurance and risking their lives.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 8-10-12 14:24; edited 6 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is customary to pay for your instructors/guides lunch if you book them all day regardless of whether they have been good or bad, to not do so would be a big faux pas.....it does not constitute a tip!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In restaurants in the US tipping is now between 15% and 20%, depending on the level of service - around here the tax is at 8.25% so I double that and use it as a basis for tipping. Tipping in gas stations is only in those states where the gas is pumped for you by law (places like Oregon) and only usually if they have cleaned the windscreen and thrown your garbage away as well.
For a ski lesson a "normal" tip is $10 to $20 per hour for a private lesson. People in group lessons don't often tip, so getting $20 from someone in an all day group lesson is nice.
Tips don't have to be cash - my regular clients know I like Starbucks (and we have the worlds only ski in/ski out Starbucks) so I get starbucks cards sometimes, or a cash card from one of the other restaurants on the mountain is also a good idea - chances are I'll use it with their kids anyway because that's where we go for cookies!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the US - restaurants is minimum 15% even if the service is very mediocre - 18-20% for good service, especially if the total bill is pretty small. Cabs is 15%. Bellhops are a dollar or two per suitcase - either delivering to your room or loading into a car. Doormen a dollar or two to put you in a cab. Nothing to take you out of one. Valet a couple of dollars to deliver your car. Gas stations attendants only a dollar or two, but most places are self serve. Room service is a tougher one, since there's usually a delivery charge and sometimes a "gratuity" already added, in which case I still give a few dollars. If not already added, I add about 10-15%.

For a good ski lesson, I'd give $10 per hour plus buying lunch/coffee if we stop during the lesson. I'd also tip for a group lesson, frankly, unless maybe it were a huge group (in which case I would still tip something if it were decent).

It's a very American thing, I think. In fact, living in Europe for more than 10 years, it's still hard for me not to tip "properly" and I am always overtipping in restaurants at 10% ...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I work as a tutor (so instructing, but Maths not skiing, sadly), and I have to say my favourite tips are the edible kind! I got a tenner extra (just under an hour's pay) halfway through the first year working for them because the tutee's school teachers had seen incredible improvement, or something, but what happened apart from that was that they'd give me some kind of chocolate at Christmas, my birthday, and Easter. Best tipping solution open.
It also means that I can now recognise Lindor chocolates by sound alone. No regrets.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skifluff wrote:
Unless you have lived a very sheltered life, then you know what tipping is, and the people it is customary to tip (whether that is right or wrong in your eyes). When in Rome and all that.....

pretending otherwise is just embarrassing, but then awkwardness has always been our favourite export wink

In 20 years of skiing and taking skiing lessons in Italy, France and Switzerland it has never occurred to me (or my parents, since a good deal of those 20 years were over 20 years ago) to offer a tip to the instructor. Some became friends, were/are invited for lunch or dinner regularly and certainly were/are greeted with genuine pleasure when met on or off the snow. I never thought I led a particularly sheltered life, but perhaps I have. Smile

tartegnin, what you are describing as "tipping" ($x/hour) sounds to me like paying, not tipping. But maybe it's my sheltered life again. Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oldmancoyote wrote:

tartegnin, what you are describing as "tipping" ($x/hour) sounds to me like paying, not tipping. But maybe it's my sheltered life again. Wink
$10 per hour tip for lessons! I assume that's one to one? I expect to PAY less than that per hour for a top mountain guide in a group situation.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The $10/hour is just a way of calculating a tip. tartegnin is basically saying that the tip is dependent on the length of the lesson, rather than the price of the lesson. Around here a $10/hr tip on an all day private (6.5 hours) would be seen as just a little stingy as it would only just be 10% of the lesson price - sometimes it is better to not tip, than to under tip.

snowball, I'm assuming your top mountain guide would be self employed and that the group is large enough to give him a decent wage?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

In 20 years of skiing and taking skiing lessons in Italy, France and Switzerland it has never occurred to me (or my parents, since a good deal of those 20 years were over 20 years ago) to offer a tip to the instructor

you gotta ask why it never occurred? didnt you have 1 great lesson in 20yrs Puzzled

If the instructor has been good, completely exceeded your expectations etcetc, then tip him. Otherwise dont. All the stuff about being friends etc is really an irrelevance, a good instructor will not treat you any different tip or otherwise, it wont affect their rapport with you, so there is no pressure to tip etc... If it does, simple, get another instructor.

BUT....just because some brits on here have decided that they think that ski instruction is one of those jobs where tipping isnt warranted, doesnt make it so! Im trying to balance the argument by saying that in the collective experience of myself and that of my colleagues, tipping is most certainly a very common occurrence, sometimes its deserved, sometimes not, every other nationality seems to know that (yes, even ze germans) and just for comparative reference and to echo what skinanny said, some regular tips far exceed 10% of the lesson price Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Generally when in a group lesson situation I have been the one to get the hat passed round for gratuities on the last day of lessons, some people expect to tip, some don't, I don't pressure people but most contribute something, collectively the instructor gets enough for a good night out usually. In a private lesson it depends on the quality of the lesson, if i get a breakthrough lightbulb moment (like I did with James in Sweden last year) then I tend toward generous, in his case it wasn't money it was a bottle of Laphroaig and homemade shortbread (he'd shared a passion for scottish niceties) rather than money, he was dead chuffed and we keep in touch via FB, in N.America I had the worst lessons ever, 3 lessons as part of a group, the instructor was awful, he had me in tears twice, I only did the first day, needless to say no tip and I complained, they couldn't fit me into another group lesson but let me have a 1hour private lesson with a guy called Jason who was brilliant, I ended up tipping him 50% of what I would have paid for that hour, my confidence improved more in that hour than the last 2 holidays. Very Happy
I work in the hospitality industry, tips are important, I don't expect people to tip all the time but I do measure my performance by them, a tip is not always cash, some of my customers will bring in eggs from their chickens or tomatoes from their garden, some buy flowers or chocs, some send thank you cards or a constant stream of their friends who they have told to try us out. Money is nice but thank you cards probably mean just as much as someone has taken their own time to buy/write it. Knowing this, if i get a great lesson I send a card to the director of the ski school to thank them naming the instructor in the hope he/she will also get credit from their boss for a job well done.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've always tipped ski instructors - if in a group for a week such as Inspired to Ski (5x3 hour sessions) we would normally all put in, say 20 euros. I did have difficulty when I was in Canada quite a few years back and had 3 lots of 3 hour private sessions. Which in themselves cost a fortune - if I was expected to have tipped 15-20% on top of that, well I just couldn't have. I wanted to show my appreciation but just couldn't have afforded to have tipped at that level - I can't remember what I did tip but know it was much more than I would have done in Europe, probably disappointing for the Canadian instructor...

Funnily enough I don't tip when the instructors own the business, such as Inside Out. Normally coffees or a lunch for them Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lilywhite, I might follow that idea of sending a thank you card to the director of the ski school - will take a postcard of home out with me to do so.

And I might take a little foodie British Christmas treat to give to the instructor as a thank you (going out just before Christmas) - anyone have any ideas, especially with regard to things allowed/not allowed into Canada?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I see this thread pop up, I always get the image of drunken students creeping up behind unsuspecting instructors and knocking them over - like cow-tipping Confused
ski holidays
admin, Laughing Laughing
latest report
admin, Very Happy - I've been cow-tipping.... wink
snow conditions
RibenaRockstar, Mince pies!!! Very Happy Don't know what the Canadian customs are like but as a general rule of thumb if it's something you would find available to buy in the airport shopping mall then it is USUALLY ok to take through customs, if they send a form round on the plane asking about foodstuffs(they didn't when I went to Canada) fill it in honestly, a friend got caught out in Australia, she forgot about some apples she had for her kids, she got held up at the airport for about 4 hours but escaped a fine, possibly because by this time the kids were inconsolable and shattered by the trip.
ski holidays
skifluff,
I had many great lessons. It never occurred to me (or my family) to tip because it's not done in some places (the ski grounds being one of them). Full stop. Be careful about making assumptions about people's nationality or customs.

admin, Laughing visions of Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater going tractor tippin' came to mind unbidden.
latest report
oldmancoyote,
Quote:

It never occurred to me (or my family) to tip because it's not done in some places (the ski grounds being one of them). Full stop.

what "ski grounds"? I have friends and colleagues who work all over france and switzerland (not italy really) and get tips as a norm, so the notion its not done is ludicrous. Full stop. If u want to propogate a "no tipping instructors myth", then you are free to do so, doesnt make it so. I'd be interested to hear from instructors on here who would be offended by a tip, or have worked in a resort where tipping was frowned upon......

Also, yes, i thought you were a brit, (coz this is a uk ski forum), but it doesnt really matter, its not about your customs, its about the local customs.........
latest report
Deleted - quadruple post. Sorry.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 14-10-12 22:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 14-10-12 22:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 14-10-12 22:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skifluff,
Exactly, it's about the local customs. I am a local, so if you don't mind I'll claim local superiority for my local knowledge or "myths" if you prefer.

I'm not claiming that you shouldn't tip if you like to. All I'm claiming is that it's not widespread in Italy, France or Switzerland by the Italians, French or Swiss - and for that matter it's not widespread not just for skiing instructors, but pretty much in any walk of life, restaurants, hotels and taxis included. Would people be offended if you tried to tip? No, I don't think so but they would definitely not expect it.

The question by Montana was whether he/she would be expected to tip. All I'm saying is no, I don't believe so - at least in those three countries. In Austria I have no idea, but I'd be surprised if it were different.

You have a different experience? Fine; good for you, particularly if you are among those that get tipped. But don't call my experience a myth, or expect to be called out with the same claim.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 14-10-12 22:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
lilywhite, the issue is I'd have to carry whatever I choose round all day on my last day of lessons - I was thinking maybe British chocolate or something? Is that hard to get hold of in Canada?
ski holidays
We found multi packs of mars bars and ENORMOUS cadbury bars in a garage convenience store but not any quality brands or much choice.

Other than starbucks (my least fave coffee chain) the coffee was awful pretty much everywhere in Banff, if your a coffee junkie take it with you for your morning cuppa!

Because in Canada it is pretty normal to bus in to the hill we hired lockers so we could change shoes and avoid bedlam with ski carrying on the bus, if your planning on doing that you could leave the gift in there and just drop it off at the office at the end of the day?
latest report
skinanny wrote:

snowball, I'm assuming your top mountain guide would be self employed and that the group is large enough to give him a decent wage?

Yes, self employed, and we usually have a group of 6, which is the largest most High Mountain Guides take for safety reasons. Rates for teachers and guides are similar. (Only Guides are allowed to lead on glaciers. Almost all of them also guide climbers - especially in the summer. The one I use most also teaches paragliding and guides canyoning).
snow conditions
lilywhite, Okay, I'll keep thinking.... And we're staying in the centre of Whistler, self catering. I do have a few days in resort after I finish lessons though- good point. (Of a week skiing, am spending three days in lessons and three days en famille)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RibenaRockstar, , I've not been to Whistler, it's on my wishlist tho, tell us about it when you return, if we do visit it will be with my BF's kids (8&12) so it will be interesting to hear from a parents POV.
snow conditions
RibenaRockstar wrote:
anyone have any ideas, especially with regard to things allowed/not allowed into Canada?

Fresh fruit and veg are a no go - they have sniffer dogs too, as I found out when trying to smuggle a banana across the border...(Insert Joke Here) Fortunatly the borderguard was very understanding and didn't fine me, although i did have to forfeit my fruit... was rather amusing as they have to seal it in a plastic bag labelled "BioHazard - Incinerate" Although I suspect someone just ate it... possibly the dog.
snow report
I always tip.

Or if we go out for a few afterwards, I'll stand the beers for a while.
ski holidays
Quote:

You have a different experience? Fine; good for you, particularly if you are among those that get tipped. But don't call my experience a myth, or expect to be called out with the same claim.

your experience is from the perspective of the person giving the tip, my experience is from the person receiving the tip. Which one do you think is more valid when deciding whether tipping is the norm?

BTW, I am a local too now and italian clients have been some of the best tippers IME

maybe there is no general consensus, local or otherwise, on tipping in any european country, and this same thread is being carried out on a french ski forum

rolling eyes
ski holidays
lilywhite, I'm not a parent, I'm 18 Neh Neh
We went when I was about 14 and it's great! The ski school set up is genius, instead of having to take money up the hill, the kids get taken to a special mountain hut for lunch, and the teens get a $12 (probably more now due to inflation) lunch voucher which is more than enough in any of the canteen style restaurants on the mountain. Also you can get delicious orange soda from the soft drink dispensers.

Ay questions and I'm sure someone will do their best to answer Smile
snow report
RibenaRockstar, lol! Read "en famile" and assumed you had your own young family! Ha ha, actually there is a kids in whistler thread already on here but thanks x Very Happy
snow report
skifluff wrote:

maybe there is no general consensus, local or otherwise, on tipping in any european country, and this same thread is being carried out on a french ski forum

rolling eyes

Laughing
ski holidays
skinanny,

No offense but you are complaining about is a function of capitalism, not tipping. To say that you agree to work for an uneconomic wage and then rely on some arbitrary additional voluntary compensation system to make ends meet is not only irrational (in an economic sense) but un-American! Shame on you Little Angel

If you have an issue with this start your own business. What .... the existing nasty ski schools are doing all sorts of things to make your attempt to muscle in on their turf not only very difficult but maybe 'terminal?!?!? That's outrageous! And monopolistic!! And un-American!!! Shame on them!

Seriously tho, you can't frame an argument for tipping based on bad pay scales. That's just putting your problem off on the client who is the innocent in the arrangement. I think the last snow related lesson I had was in Bretton Woods (private/snowboarding). Not only did the whole affair put me off having skiing lessons, it also put me off snowboarding and ranks by far as the worst snow related educational experience in my life (so far). I don't care how much the three year old that was allegededly supposed to helping me was paid - it was too much.

Tell you what – let’s all agree to pay at the end of the skiing lesson, not the beginning. If we think the session was worth it, we'll pay - if not, we won’t. Why the hell do we have to pay for a substandard service and also be expected to tip if the service is above average??? E.G. I once had to rescue half a class of beginners who had managed to lose their instructor by taking the wrong slope (red not blue – bad mistake on week one). It took me half an hour to nursemaid them down the slope to the chair lift and get them back to their instructor (I carried one of them down the last 200m stretch). What odds they got a refund? Needless to say I didn't even get a drink out of it.

UPDATE: went out this week and for once checked with the waiter who got the tip. Guess what - if it went on the card - they only get 50%, cash - they could keep 100%. Guess what I did and guess how much happier the waiter was (p.s. he was good, polite and went out of his way to put up with the g/f's wierdness so he deserved something).
snow report
RattytheSnowRat, At what point was I complaining? I don't have an issue with how things are run, and I can't start my own business as a ski school, the resorts are either private companies or on contract with the National/State Parks to run the ski area. It is illegal to teach on most mountains unless you work for the company that runs them. And it's not monopolistic - you have the choice of working for the ski area on the next mountain.....

Most of the jobs in the Service Industry in the US are poorly paid, with the understanding that tips make up a large part of the wage. This is normal, legal and culturally acceptable to most Americans. It is not un-American, but rather typically American.

I am sorry you had a couple of bad experiences (although your second example was obviously in Europe since we don't have Red runs in the US), but did you complain to the school at the end of your lesson? We have a very effective system in place to satisfy our guests and will try to make every experience a good one.

And as for paying at the end of the lesson.........would you work all day for nothing, and hope to get paid at the end if your boss liked your performance? It's already bad enough that I might be at work and be ready to teach but yet not get any work because not enough people decided to take a lesson that day, and unless I actually teach I don't get paid.
ski holidays
People we tip routinely (unless service is very poor): ski instructors; chalet hosts; waiters; taxi drivers; tennis coaches; hotel & airport porters; beauticians; hair dressers.

People we have never tipped: hire shop staff; hotel reception; shop assistants; airline pilots; cabin crew; doctors; lawyers; dentists; bus drivers; school teachers; etc etc.

Why the difference? ultimately I guess it comes down to custom & a perception of what is "expected".
snow report
cathy,
Quote:

Funnily enough I don't tip when the instructors own the business

Ditto. Same with my hairdresser.
snow report
al.p, interesting that you've never tipped school teachers. Here it's common at the end of every year of primary school and at Christmas for the teacher to get some kind of edible gift or gift voucher. Doesn't happen at secondary school because we all have so many teachers, but often people club together and organise something for each teacher at the end of A Level.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy