Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping instructors?

Poster: A snowHead
It's a long time since I had ski lessons and they were group lessons in Austria.

Going to France this coming season and planning a private lesson for just two of us. Is it the norm to tip the instructor, obviously presuming the lesson has been good, and if so, how much Puzzled

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Montana, it's not the norm to tip instructors in France. If you've enjoyed the lesson and feel the instructor has gone the extra mile then I'm sure a tip would be welcomed, but not expected.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, thank you - I always tip in bars and restaurants if the service has been good, but am never sure in this type of scenario and would hate to insult/disappoint!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you stop for a break somewhere, offer to buy their coffee. They're probably getting it free for bringing their clients to the restaurant anyway, but it's the thought that counts, right?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Montana, it's not the norm to tip instructors in France. If you've enjoyed the lesson and feel the instructor has gone the extra mile then I'm sure a tip would be welcomed, but not expected.

There's a difference if the instructor's own the business right... Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, Laughing Perhaps. I've been in lots of different classes with a variety of ski schools and very rarely have I been aware of any cash tips at the end of the lesson/course. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I think it's rare enough for it to be a welcome surprise when you get one rather than a disappointment when you don't.

A couple of times I've given a bottle of whisky or champagne because I'd had a brilliant week with them, but never a cash tip. Looking at it from the other side of things, I often get coffee and occasionally lunch which is always very nice (means more to me because it's a friendly gesture rather than a nice cash equivalent). But it is never expected.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski instructors in US always expect a tip, but not the French. I think buying your French instructor a drink is a nice gesture.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
A couple of times I've given a bottle of whisky or champagne because I'd had a brilliant week with them, but never a cash tip. Looking at it from the other side of things, I often get coffee and occasionally lunch which is always very nice (means more to me because it's a friendly gesture rather than a nice cash equivalent). But it is never expected.

I bought a windsurf instructor a bottle of champers once...she managed in 90 minutes to get me to master a move I'd failed to do for the preceding 2 years. To say I was 'made up' was an understatement...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We always tip in our group lesson in Tignes, just €5 each and it's very much appreciated, and a bit of a surprise I think
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Your lessons are expensive, but the instructor's pay is a small fraction of the lesson price.
A SMALL fraction.

A tip is very welcome.
In Switz the instructors get 50% discount in the mountain restaurants if they are in uniform and with clients. They don't eat/drink for free and certainly do not get a % for bringing clients in.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Tignes we give 10 euro a head
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well I guess in france the instructor will be self employed so like bertie said, it doesnt matter as much but it still is a nice gesture if youve had a great day

Please don't assume all instructors eat for free, where i work (in switz) only a handful of crap overpriced restaurants give a miserly discount, begrudgingly. The nice ones don't give discounts to anyone. And like rungsp said, the idea of a commission does not exist at all.

I dunno... most people tip waiters as a matter of habit, if you tip a waiter to bring your food from the kitchen to your table in the confines of a nice cozy restaurant, why wouldn't you tip the person who spent all day making sure you had a great time, learnt new skills and kept you and your family safe and entertained in the dangerous environs of the mountains outside?

In many places in switzerland the waiter is getting paid more than the instructor anyway.....

It is very difficult for clients to sort of detach the cost of the lesson from what the instructor is paid, understandably coz lessons are very expensive round these parts, but it really is a fraction that goes to the instructor and tips go a very very long way towards living costs. And this sounds rude but it isnt meant to be, if you are going to tip, tip with cash, i have yet to meet a landlord who will accept a bottle of champers in lieu of rent........

That being said, only tip him/her if you have had a genuinely good day.... if the instructor is crap, ask for another one. If you ask for an ISTD (almost all brits in france will be) the chances are you'll have a great day.......
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I worked if I brought in 10 to a restaurant my tray was free. (Always by prior arrangement)

I think £27 an hour is now the rate in France for an instructor and if it's for Club med whoopee 3* food as well. But deck chair attendant in Nice which was a friends summer job didn't pay that well.

Brits don't tip is well known so surprise is the norm.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wish the whole damn tipping practice was banned. It creats all sorts of confusions and mis-interpretation and its archaic anyway. The practice started when people offered services for which they were not already paid and for which the recipient would reward them IF they did the job well. As pointed out above, people are now paid to provide a service so there is no reason to 'tip' in the classic sense. It's also the source of many criminal and immoral acts from disreputable owners robbing staff to tax evasion and bribery. I also dislike the attitude of bad staff who are not tipped and the attitude of bad customers who bribe staff to give them service which dis-services other clientele.

Ban the whole miserable practice - ethically it stinks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A tip is never expected, but always appreciated. If you hand me a screaming miserable 4 year old at 9am and get a happy smiling child back at 3pm who can't wait to ski again tomorrow that is probably worth the tip. If you are travelling out of your normal country of residence please find out the local customs of the country you are visiting and act accordingly - Brits have a certain reputation and it's not a favourable one when it comes to tipping.

When it comes down to accepting lesson bookings I am often double booked and although I do try to act on a "first come, first served" basis this is not always possible. Does the amount of tip given on previous occasions then come into account? Well, I generally would choose to take the lesson which I get the most out of, although this might not be in the form of financial compensation.
ski holidays
As a puzzled Brit bystander, apart from the North Americans who does tip "well"?
snow conditions
stevew, Irish and South Africans, IME.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I wish the whole damn tipping practice was banned. It creats all sorts of confusions and mis-interpretation and its archaic anyway. The practice started when people offered services for which they were not already paid and for which the recipient would reward them IF they did the job well. As pointed out above, people are now paid to provide a service so there is no reason to 'tip' in the classic sense. It's also the source of many criminal and immoral acts from disreputable owners robbing staff to tax evasion and bribery. I also dislike the attitude of bad staff who are not tipped and the attitude of bad customers who bribe staff to give them service which dis-services other clientele.

Ban the whole miserable practice - ethically it stinks.

Half of me agrees with you. The other, slightly more cynical, half of my brain then remembers that countries like the USA with a strong tipping ethos also have a strong customer service ethos and I find myself idly wondering if the two facts might be connected in some strange way.
latest report
Cynic wrote:
When I worked if I brought in 10 to a restaurant my tray was free. (Always by prior arrangement)

I think £27 an hour is now the rate in France for an instructor and if it's for Club med whoopee 3* food as well. But deck chair attendant in Nice which was a friends summer job didn't pay that well.

Brits don't tip is well known so surprise is the norm.

I think its rather a lot more than £27 for a full qualified in France, which if you have a brit they will almost certainly be (unless they are at least a level 2 and have passed the test technique which most brits don't do and just aim for the eurotest). I know some ISTD's and they choose not to work in the summer. They're not rich by any means but the hourly must be pretty good to do not a lot for 6-7 months.

I've had tips refused a couple of times in france and switzerland with guides. Both times they looked embarrased as they knew how much we'd paid. However that will depend on the individual you try to tip.

In the states the instructors need tips as their hourly rate is so woefully low. However I was once told a story by an instructor mate about a friend of his in aspen who had been tipped with a new car! He had been teaching these rich clients for some years though.

I've had a few tips in the past (mainly to do with my skiing Laughing Embarassed ) I've always gratefully received them and they were always a very pleasant surprise. One of the best tips I got was 100 french francs (so a while back then) which was actually off a guy for a mornings piste leading work! Another was of about 700 francs from a group I led for a week. At the time I was absolutely made up as that was about the same as my tour op pay for the week!
snow report
Quote:

One of the best tips I got was 100 French francs (so a while back then) which was actually off a guy for a mornings piste leading work! Another was of about 700 francs from a group I led for a week. At the time I was absolutely made up as that was about the same as my tour op pay for the week!

that's exactly my point - you fondly remember tipping from before the freaking Euro was introduced FFS!! That sort of approach has got to distort your day to day approach to clients. Whatever happens at the back of your mind you will always be hoping for another 'pay day' like that and subconsciously judge every client that does not meet that mark. I'm not saying you are wrong or that you do not provide a service above and beyond what is expected every single engagement but you can bet there are those who do not meet that standard and still expect to get heavily tipped because at some time in the dim and distant past some over compensating pinhead tipped them some unfeasible amount for totally cr@p service. I know I've met them.

Quote:

The other, slightly more cynical, half of my brain then remembers that countries like the USA with a strong tipping ethos also have a strong customer service ethos and I find myself idly wondering if the two facts might be connected in some strange way.

I actually have no issue with that - if you pay X for a service and get service X+Y then I totally agree it is appropriate to acknowledge that. What I have a problem with is the 'bell hop' attitude that just because you know where a room is and can carry a case that you should be tipped for 10 minutes light labour AFTER receiving a wage for doing the same - it makes no sense to me. It's not the exceptional service tipping I have an issue with - it's the institutionalised practice and the creepy ethics that accompany it. Why am I now commanded to add 12.5% to a restaurant bill as standard in certain UK establishments? I never used to 'tip' that much. My g/f always asks if the tips go to the staff - I've seen some pretty strained responses to that question, especially in family run restaurants. No one ever asks the question of what proportions go to the 'staff'.
snow conditions
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Quote:

One of the best tips I got was 100 French francs (so a while back then) which was actually off a guy for a mornings piste leading work! Another was of about 700 francs from a group I led for a week. At the time I was absolutely made up as that was about the same as my tour op pay for the week!

that's exactly my point - you fondly remember tipping from before the freaking Euro was introduced FFS!! That sort of approach has got to distort your day to day approach to clients. Whatever happens at the back of your mind you will always be hoping for another 'pay day' like that and subconsciously judge every client that does not meet that mark. I'm not saying you are wrong or that you do not provide a service above and beyond what is expected every single engagement but you can bet there are those who do not meet that standard and still expect to get heavily tipped because at some time in the dim and distant past some over compensating pinhead tipped them some unfeasible amount for totally cr@p service. I know I've met them.

Quote:

The other, slightly more cynical, half of my brain then remembers that countries like the USA with a strong tipping ethos also have a strong customer service ethos and I find myself idly wondering if the two facts might be connected in some strange way.

I actually have no issue with that - if you pay X for a service and get service X+Y then I totally agree it is appropriate to acknowledge that. What I have a problem with is the 'bell hop' attitude that just because you know where a room is and can carry a case that you should be tipped for 10 minutes light labour AFTER receiving a wage for doing the same - it makes no sense to me. It's not the exceptional service tipping I have an issue with - it's the institutionalised practice and the creepy ethics that accompany it. Why am I now commanded to add 12.5% to a restaurant bill as standard in certain UK establishments? I never used to 'tip' that much. My g/f always asks if the tips go to the staff - I've seen some pretty strained responses to that question, especially in family run restaurants. No one ever asks the question of what proportions go to the 'staff'.

Well I certainly don't look at every client in this light! I do what I do because I enjoy it and I enjoy being able to help others get that same enjoyment. If they happen to tip me then great, its an added bonus, if not then no problem. I don't provide service based on if I think a gratuity is going to be forthcoming or not. I treat everyone the same.

Obviously not everyone works like that though.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I actually have no issue with that - if you pay X for a service and get service X+Y then I totally agree it is appropriate to acknowledge that.

I don't really agree, and that's why I never give tips (and at same time I NEVER expect them either, even if I do more then I would absolutely need to do )... not even there where you are suppose to give. But seriously... you go to restaurant for dinner, for which you pay $160, and then they expect you to give extra 20% of this for tip? I'm sorry but I'm definitely not going to leave them $30 for bringing me (well overpaid) food to the table.
I still have my own attitude, which I'm sure lots of people won't like, about this. If you get salary, you are suppose to do your work for that salary. And if you do something, do it good. Like I said, I never expect to be tipped anyway for my work, and I don't see reason why anyone should be.
Do you tip the guy who takes your garbage away? Do you tip pilot of the plain, which just brought you to the other side of the world? Or a bus driver, or cashier in store, or guy filling shelves in store? Or some tech guy sitting in your Internet provider's office making it possible for you to hang on here, or booking your ski trip over internet? No, so why would some waitress or ski instructor or... be any different. They also get their salaries, just as anyone else. If they agree to get only 50% of salaries, and they would collect the other 50% from tips... well it's their problem not mine Wink
So I'm really happy that I live in country, where tipping is not common thing. Smile
snow report
The problem is that certain industries in certain countries rely on the fact that the country has a culture of tipping and have therefore eroded their workers pay. This is poor practice by the employers.

So certain workers e.g ski instructors, waiters etc. rely on their tips to make a living wage. When I say make a living I mean being able to eat, put a roof over your head and so on, not go and buy luxuries.

Another angle on this is that countries like the US which has a culture of tipping you do not need any qualification to be able to teach (you don't in the UK either by law, but you might find it hard to get a job without at least a level 1), so every man and his dog who want to teach can, which depresses wages as people are willing to do the work for less money. Then also you get a situation where people need to get tips to make their living. The tip is no longer a nice 'extra' but an actual requirement to continue in that line of work.

I must admit I don't agree with this scenario as it is unfair on the employee for him/her to have to rely on the largesse of his clientele to be able to eat. However in a no-pressure/no tipping culture, tipping scenario, I see no problem as this is then a genuine expression of gratitude by the client for service well provided, not a "I'm expected to tip so I'll do this" thing. That's why when I've been tipped I've felt genuinely chuffed and humbled by the experience.
snow conditions
Ironically one of the snootiest professions in the UK started with the practice of tipping. If you look at the back of barrister's cloaks there is a little pocket. What used to happen is that they would lounge around at 'the bar' that seperated the public from the courts and potential clients would wander along the public side of the bar then slip an carefully weighted amount of loose change into that pocket behind the barrister's back (so to speak) if they wanted to retain the brief to represent them in court. It's also the reason why barristers could never sue for payment for their services (not sure if that has changed recently). Whenever a brief used to get a bit uppity, I would threaten not to tip them. Needless to say over the years they 'unionised', started running a closed shop, upped their prices and ditched the practice of tipping. See what the toxic practice leads to!

primoz, accordinging to your vanity plate you are '... mostly chasing skiing WC around the World.' so you must come across it as an issue sometimes. And in the UK there is a whole day dedicated (in theory) to the practice of tipping - it's called Boxing Day so at least still in some parts of the country, dustmen - or 'garbage removal operatives' - do indeed look to get a chunnky yearly tip ....

In the UK, the dividing line historically was whether you got a wage or a salary. If you were a professional you got a salary and no tips and if not then you got a wage and may or may not get tips according to some arcane workings which, as you correctly point out, seem arbitrary nowadays.

skir67, I appreciate you feel that way but I've had some pretty heavy hints regarding tips dropped by maitre d's, ski instructors and a host of other clowns, much of the time in the US which, contrary to rumour, I tend to find more of a 'pay me, pay me more' culture rather than a service culture. Needless to say, I was not at all surprised to read recently of the exponential expansion of paid priority services in the US. In Georgia they have taken away the 'pool' car lanes (bye bye, green initiative) to make way for priority lanes where you can pay to queue jump your fellow commuters just like easyjet. The US seems to excel in creating ways where the affluent can either lord it over or screw over their fellow man. Tipping is just the 'tip' of the iceberg in that respect.
snow report
Tipping confuses the hell out of me and I wish it didn't exist as I never know when it is appropriate or how much to offer. When I was learning to ski and me and kids would have lessons for the whole week in a small resort where we were known I used to take out lots of English breakfast tea, Sugar and large tins of English biscuit and present the ski school with 'English Tea Break' at the end of the week. In France we generally hand over a 10E note at the end of the kids private lessons. Whether each approach was appropriate I never knew.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Tipping confuses the hell out of me and I wish it didn't exist as I never know when it is appropriate or how much to offer.

I totally agree!

In the US, the tipping is such a "normal" practice I once had waiter came out to ask me why I didn't tip. So I told him he brought the wrong food to the table and tried not to bother to exchange to the correct order, which was sub-standard service. To which his reply? "but everybody tips"!

So now I tip them a penny whenever the service is poor.

The problem with tipping is it being "voluntary". So some customers purposely choose to be "freeloaders" while others pay their share.
ski holidays
wish people would tip boot fitters more Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel the fridge is getting empty and we love beer and good red wine Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

When it comes down to accepting lesson bookings I am often double booked and although I do try to act on a "first come, first served" basis this is not always possible. Does the amount of tip given on previous occasions then come into account? Well, I generally would choose to take the lesson which I get the most out of, although this might not be in the form of financial compensation.

blimey that sounds close on prostitution!!! wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unless you have lived a very sheltered life, then you know what tipping is, and the people it is customary to tip (whether that is right or wrong in your eyes). When in Rome and all that.....

pretending otherwise is just embarrassing, but then awkwardness has always been our favourite export wink
snow report
CEM wrote:
Quote:

blimey that sounds close on prostitution!!! wink

All I meant was that I'd take the lesson that was likely to be most fun! Smile But, even though I work for a ski school, I do have to sell myself to get work! Wink

And I'd much rather take a group of crying 4 year olds than a group of British adults whining about the cultural differences in the US which mean they are expected to tip!
latest report
RattytheSnowRat, I didn't say I don't go to places, where tipping is usual.... but I stick with "stupid foreigner" thing and just not to do it Smile Like I said, it feels damn stupid to pay $30 for someone bringing me lunch to table. I need to work quite a bit more then 10sec to earn that money, so it feels a bit over the top to pay 20% of what I already spend for, most of time, mediocre service. And if someone has problem with it... well fine, I'm certainly not losing my sleep over it. But lucky for those people, I guess most of people think differently then me Smile
snow report
RattytheSnowRat,

Well I don't agree with people dropping heavy hints or the like to elicit a tip. But the fact is most of those type of staff are paid shite in the states so the tips are how they get by.
snow conditions
skir67, in some U.S. One gets more from a repeat booking from the same person or group, say 30% of first booking 50% of rebook; this is part of the reason US instructors are very nice people paying very good attention to the customer. Not all resorts work to this system.
snow report
Cynic wrote:
skir67, in some U.S. One gets more from a repeat booking from the same person or group, say 30% of first booking 50% of rebook; this is part of the reason US instructors are very nice people paying very good attention to the customer. Not all resorts work to this system.

yes I know they get bonuses for repeat request bookings which obviously incentivizes the instructor to do a good job (though they should do that anyway), even so the pay rates are pretty awful particularly when you look at the cost of living in a ski resort.
snow report
skir67, Some I knew in Vale live in a trailer park up the road, which was good for non residents.
latest report
Tipping confuses me to.... last week was down in Glasgow... went for lunch at The Hilton by the Squinty Bridge (used to be the city inn I've eaten/ stayed there many times normally very good) this time we recived apauling service... when the bill came there was a 10% service charge allready added + the oppertunity to add more..... in the evening we ate at our hotel where the service was excellent, I wanted to charge the meal to the room but when the bill came there wasn't the opertunity to add a tip...

As for instructors... thats easyier for me if it's good I do if not I don't most I've tipped is 50E for 6 hours of tuition over 3 days...
latest report
I've only ever bought coffees, apart from one lunch during an all day lesson. But then I'm a tight Scottish git. And also I've never had lessons in N. America, where I think peer pressure would have been brought to bear!
snow report
Cynic wrote:
skir67, Some I knew in Vale live in a trailer park up the road, which was good for non residents.

a trailer park, classy.
snow report
Cynic wrote:

Please point me in the direction of a resort that pays 30% of the first booking and 50% of subsequent bookings........I've not heard of a resort that pays that much.
The incentive is generally an additional dollar amount which may increase after a certain number of request hours/lessons have been worked - eg, a ski instructor gets paid $15/hr, for a request lesson the incentive is $5/hr therefore making the hourly pay for that lesson $20. At one resort I know the incentive amount is increased by $1 for every 25 hours worked, up to 200 hours, thus the maximum amount of incentive being $13. A 6.5 hour private request lesson is $600 - the most this instructor can make is $182 for this lesson (about 30% of the lesson) - but that would be late in the season after having taught 200 hours of request lessons already.
As far as I know only 2 or 3 instructors taught over 200 request hours last season in this resort.

In the US ski instructors need tips, they are not expected all the time, but we endeavor to EARN a tip from every guest.
ski holidays
For me it's not so much of where you tip, as how much you should tip. I think in the UK you generally tip waiters 10%, and taxi drivers whatever comes to mind at the time - around 10%, but it wouldn't occur to me to tip many others.

As mentioned above I have tipped the odd ski instructor around 10E for each child on a 2 hr private lesson esp. if the kids have had a good time. However, I'd be a fish out of water in the USA regarding who to tip and how much. You see in films tips being offered to the person who carries a bag in a hotel, or brings room service. From this I know that they should be tipped, but I've no idea how much, similarly does 10% work in restaurants, how much for taxi drivers, instructors and for which sports etc. What happens on something like a cruise ship etc. I've no inherent objection to tipping per se, but it's an absolute minefield. It reminds me of Yes, Prime Minister regarding the customary Christmas present for a private secretary.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy