Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel//Les Gets/Morzine 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Heavy snow here in Champéry too, rumble of snow ploughs in the early hours. About 10cm so far
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clearing the snow off the car it felt quite fluffy, so hope for a lovely day, if the cloud would just go......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So the cloud did go and the sun came out just before lunchtime Very Happy Amazing conditions first thing, front row parking, no one around, loads and loads of fresh stuff, fresh tracks on empty slopes around Chaux Fleurie then over to Pre la Joux when the Avoriaz crowds came down Toofy Grin Quiet in PLJ and pistes in great nick. Over to the goat village for a late long lunch. The only bad run of the day was the slush fest that was the bottom of the run back to Ardent. All in all a fab Easter Sunday, hope everyone else enjoyed a great day snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from an awesome weekend in Avoriaz/ Morzine/ Les Gets. Same as sarah, for Sunday - see the photo below of Mr NN deciding which bit of powder to take first at top of Ch. Fleurie - this was our third time down and STILL wasnt totally tracked! Then we had a whole day playing on Mont Chery yesterday in the glorious sunshine! Well worth the 1300 miles of driving Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And another good day today - we were out first thing on the Tulipe a few times - very quiet early on, now back on grandparenting duties. Wonderful to finally get rid of those pesky clouds and see the sun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee, Great picture Very Happy It was great on piste too and we were still skiing some untracked piste edges til 1.30 ish. One of my best days ever. Yesterday was really busy as the bank holiday and beautiful weather brought the day trippers out. Today was very quiet, fab weather again and slightly better conditions than yesterday, generally springlike but still some really good snow to be found. Last day tomorrow with another good forecast. One of my best weeks ever I think snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another beautiful day here in Morzine.....and I am stuck in with a sick child Sad Please can someone recommend a dr in or around Morzine (or ones to avoid)? Think he will be ok but if no significant improvement later may pay a visit. Last day and got a 14 hour drive tomorrow, not good Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, ping a PM to Pamski, she was able to recommend a dentist to me and i'm sure she knows the doctors in Les Gets (not Morzine but worth it for a recommendation?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee, Thanks was thinking that, will do Smile I am sick to be in, just had fab text reports in from the others Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah wrote:
One of my best weeks ever I think snowHead
Cool

Hope youngster ok now
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee, I did get a PM and said what I knew, also recommended a bucket for the journey.

What a(nother) great day - the sun has stayed half behind the clouds all morning so nothing really softened up - no queues, few people, keep looking over at Mt Chery all closed up...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski wrote:
keep looking over at Mt Chery all closed up...

You could always hike up! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni, hhmmm - well with my hiking abilities it would be a very short ski down again!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marmotte16, Thank you for thinking of us Smile

Pamski, Thanks so much for the PMs. So he picked up and kept plain pasta and fluids down last night. I popped down to St J d'A to Carrefour and the pharmacie. Got my nice shiny bucket, Mr Propre anti bac wipes, water, kitchen roll, bin liners the whole shebang. Got those tablets you mentioned and rehydration sachets from the pharmacie. Packed a bag of spare clothes to hand. And a very good thing I did too as somewhere just after Bourg en Bresse his breakfast reappeared into the bucket Sad without much warning. Still he made a clean job of it, good boy. After that we gave him the tablet and just clear fluids and he seemed ok again. Has now eaten small amounts and nothing further. Just back in UK after a 40 min delay on tunnel with 4 hours to go. Fingers crossed Smile

Apologies to all for the thread drift, I couldn't find the not the weather thread yesterday Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I forgot to say that we went to Praz de Lys / Sommand at the weekend.

Simply fantastic. A bigger, quieter version of Mt Chery Shocked and even though we couldn't see a thing, we could tell that there was a huge amount of accessible off-piste there.

The question is why it's taken 9 years for us to try the place(!)
snow conditions
Taking a trip out to LG next Thursday to do a bit of work to the chalet after a very busy season. Will the lifts still be open on the weekend??
snow report
robauxgets, the lifts are due to be open till Sunday 14th April.
Some of the Morzine lifts have closed already, not due to lack of snow.
Tipping down with rain here this afternoon but that is at our level, around 1200, so could be snow higher up. We were over at Chatel Linga this morning and heaps of snow over there still. Stayed fairly low as cloudy.
latest report
robauxgets, I'd imagine you'll be fine. There's more snow in LG at the moment than there was middle of March last year. Toured the PdS today in grim weather and when we came back at 1630 it was snowing quite a bit at midstation.
snow report
Snowing in Les Gets all morning - there was about 9 inches of new snow up on the Chavannes this morning. The road was absolutely clear when we drove up there around 9 a.m. but coming back later about 11.30 it would have been a challenge for a car without winter tyres etc.

Still not really wanting to look at the forecast for Thursday.
ski holidays
Woke up to 3 or 4 inches of new snow in Chatel this morning at village level (1200m). Snowing heavily all morning, when we left and the rain level was at about 1000m.

Barbossine/Petit Chatel and the liaison to Torgon closed after last Sunday, Super Chatel closes after this weekend, but Linga/Pre la Joux and the liaison to Avoriaz stays open until 21st.

Huge amounts of snow around and I haven't seen a patchy piste yet, apart from when driving past the bottom of Abondance, but I suppose the lifties have to take their hols as booked before their summer season.
ski holidays
Quote:

there was about 9 inches of new snow up on the Chavannes this morning.

chucking it down here, too - but I've not been out to test the depth. This looks like being the last gasp of the proper winter - gonna start melting in earnest next week!
latest report
snoozeboy, its been great not to see patchy pistes hasn't it! Some years they have been having to haul the snow off the sides to keep the pistes going.
ski holidays
I was out in Avoriaz from 4th - 8th April and the amount of snow is incredible. Can’t believe there has been another dump this morning, the wife will be happy as she arrives on Thursday for a quick blast before the season ends. Sadly I have to go to work Sad
snow conditions
After two really grotty days of rain the sun came out a bit this morning in Les Gets and the pistes around the Chavannes and Rosta bowl were very good. There is still such a depth of snow everywhere - and the Melezes which we thought would be very soft at the bottom was lovely. About 2 inches of new snow on top -
snow conditions
Pamski, sounding good for last weekend Very Happy
latest report
Pamski, does indeed sound good, make the most of it! Pre la Joux sector staying open til 28th was last I heard, not sure about elsewhere, been a great snowy season snowHead
snow report
After a very good half day yesterday over at Chatel Linga - up there first thing, not crowded till more bods arrived around 10 and clear, clear skies so we had great visibility and good snow we decided to go to Flaine today.

We still had one ticket left to use on our season passes in another resort - force of circumstances this year with friends, family and the baby granddaughter to stay meant that we hadn't got out and about as much as we sometimes have.

We are early birds so were parked by the bottom of the gondola at Samoens by about 8.20 and when the ticket office opened my OH went to sort out our tickets for the day. Came back slightly grumpy, but entirely our own fault .... on the paperwork it says that the reciprocal passes are valid from 22.12.12 - 14.04.13 - but we had failed to read that bit. So we should have used up this one last pass before Sunday. We could have paid 39 euros each for the day but as we tend to only ski till about 12 at this time of year we didn't think it was worth it.

Back in the car and up as usual from Ardent by about 9.30 and we skied around Avoriaz today. Huge difference in the snow today and much more crowded than yesterday. Lots of large ski classes with fairly young French children who must now be on holiday.
snow report
We went up to Avoriaz on the new Prodains bubble this morning. There rather early so we must have got on at about 8.25 and it seemed to fly up. You just walk in through the barriers and the cars come round slowly. There are seats and space for others standing - I think the board said 35 per car. Up at the top you take an escalator up to the exit.

Very impressive seeing how deep in the rocks they have gone - (reminded me of the Marsden Grotto!) -

Having got up to Avoriaz so early we then waited in glorious sunshine for some lifts to open. In the end we were restricted somewhat by the Allee de Chavanettes being closed due to avalanche risk - so although we could see first thing that the Chavanettes lift and the Fornet lift were both running these then stopped running later as the message must have got through that no-one would be getting there. The red down to join the Crot was a bit of a challenge early on - we came round the corner and found a mum and dad on the side, with skis off, attempting to walk down, 2 children lying in the snow on the next bend. Kids were fine, they were just lying there keeping out of the way waiting for their parents. Big lumps where the piste basher had done its best so the well remembered side slipping came into play to get down, past the walkers and the icy lumps.

We took the bubble back down to Prodains later to see it both ways - unfortunately the escalator down was not working but other than that it really is quite impressive. I imagine that after the weekend they will get on with finishing it all off.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pamski wrote:
Very impressive seeing how deep in the rocks they have gone - (reminded me of the Marsden Grotto!) -

Aah, memories....
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Pamski wrote:

Aah, memories....

My brother had his wedding reception there one very cold and snowy January (you should have seen the ridiculous dress I had to wear - not Grotto in January type thing Toofy Grin His in laws lived there at the time.

Pam, interesting to hear how snow is doing now. I did have a quick scan of webcams this morning. MC looks ok at top still Laughing
ski holidays
marmotte16, just back from our last morning - apparently its our 85th day, admittedly we rarely ski whole days, particularly at this time of the year.

We used the new Prodains lift again - there was a paper notice up there that said it runs from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. this week. Good job we hadn't know that or my OH might have got me up there earlier than 8.30 and then had to look for breakfast! Went over to Lindarets and took the Chaux Fleurie up, had a lovely couple of hours staying high as the snow didn't appear to have frozen much overnight, except really shaded areas. It was 6C at our chalet this morning.

Now a bit of 'mucking out' to do before driving back to UK tomorrow.

And yes - just checked out of the window and MC still looking very good and white!
snow conditions
Not sure if this has been posted already
Pléney cable car arrival station destroyed by fire
http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2013/05/08/la-gare-d-arrivee-du-telepherique-du-pleney-detruite-par-les-flammes
latest report
Hmm - seems they were going to knock it down anyway, but would have presumably have removed and re-positioned the communications aerials before doing so.
latest report
This is really odd as this thread seemed to have disappeared earlier today - and I had had an e mail alerting me to a new posting on it. Anyone got any more news on the fire?
snow report
Pamski wrote:
This is really odd as this thread seemed to have disappeared earlier today - and I had had an e mail alerting me to a new posting on it. Anyone got any more news on the fire?

+1. I had an email so came to check the thread this mrning but it was nowhere to be found, I guess there was a spammer on it and the thread was offline whilst the spam was removed.
snow report
Sorry, no snow to report! but I had a run up the Pleney (Morzine) yesterday and took some pictures of the construction of the new Pleney lift. Work appears ahead on the foundations of the new base station:

Some of the rubble from the old building seems to have made its way to the piste past the bottom of the TS Pre Favre lift that goes up to Nyon. If your skiing back from Nyon to the Fys lift or back to the bottom of Pleney you normally avoid this by going across a narrow bridge here on the left just out of picture. They seem to be trying to make the alternative route through the tunnel under the road more appealing by filling in the dip in the piste.

Anyway, back to the lift and the pylons also appear to be in place now:

Work at the top looks less advanced. I dont know whether the fire in May to the old building delayed things or not. It looks like the lift will come into a separate building between the restaurant and the viking hotel with a direct walk out at ground level.

snow report
Good photos FreeBeer, we had seen the cranes working at the bottom of the slope when we were in Morzine the other evening about 7 pm having a drink so they are doing long days at the moment.

We have been in Les Gets for three weeks now - and it was really busy when we arrived and each weekend has got a bit quieter, then a bit more, and then last weekend the Les Gets lifts finally closed, and the village is a changed place. All the visitors now replaced by white vans and lorries buzzing around with huge amount of work going on. And the temperature has dropped too.
snow report
I have started a new thread for Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2013/2014 - with the lift opening dates.
snow conditions
Beer in La Folie Douce after a bluebird day in the powder. Fab resort fab conditions. Tres jollie. Musiccccc. (via SMS)
snow conditions
snowmam, note to self. must update link to this years thread before posting by SMS. But then, blue sky, powder, beer.... who cares what I think..... Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy