Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel//Les Gets/Morzine 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
2011/12 was excellent*, let's hope for a repeat**. We're in PdS over New Year snowHead

* Well it was for me on my visits
** For everyone, no matter what type of terrain they favour Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 6-11-12 18:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep will be waiting for those Atlantic storms to deliver a bumper year. After spending last season half way up a mountain am looming forward to being in a valley town, roll on mid November!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're in the PdS from 13th January and after last year this year has got a lot to live up to!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got my fingers crossed for New Year Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got everything crossed for Christmas!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Avoriaz has turned all white! From the webcams it looks like the snow level is around 1500m. Hope it is a good sign for the early season
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Loving the webcams Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJL wrote:
Avoriaz has turned all white! From the webcams it looks like the snow level is around 1500m. Hope it is a good sign for the early season

I got all excited when I viewed the web cam but a few days later it had all gone Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJL wrote:

Far too early to be a sign of anything, good or bad. Forecast 23C in Cham today, lovely and sunny.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's back with a vengeance and this time right down to the valley floor. About 3 inches in Morzine town. Off for a snowshoe walk a little higher up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DallyPaul, Not jelous, no, really im not!!! Skullie
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
DallyPaul, Not jelous, no, really im not!!! Skullie

+1 Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only 2 weeks till we roll into morzine, last season in the Tarenteise we waited for what seemed like forever for the snow to arrive, this year I'm worried I might need to replace last seasons broken snow chain before I arrive!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Watching the Avoriaz webcam has become a daily obsession for me now- we've booked our first independent ski hol there for 26th Jan.

I wonder if the place has changed much since my last hol there as a child in the early 80's... Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marmotte16 wrote:
2011/12 was excellent, let's hope for a repeat. We're in PdS over New Year snowHead

"Excellent"? I do very much hope you get a similar New Year, but as a season goes, it was hardly vintage.
snow conditions
under a new name, I thought last season was excellent. Granted I was only in the PDS in January and April but skied knee to waist deep pow on both trips and the depth and coverage was superb. Perhaps I got lucky but the coverage looked great on the webcams throughout the season.

Just about to book our January 2013 trip and can't wait
latest report
Sunshine81, You were very lucky. It was a really odd season. The snow fell maybe 3 times only. But in huge quantity each time (until April, when it snowed pretty regularly, note I include April as one of the 3 falls -being just before xmas, just before the vacances scolaires and then April). The frightfully cold temps in early feb helped keep things together.

In between those, things were fine but it was not what one would call vintage...or excellent.

You also have to bear in mind that I am measuring mostly from a Chamonix point of view, and PDS snow is a little different, but not so much.
latest report
under a new name, well as a mere mortal I thought last season was excellent. Les Gets over Christmas/New Year, La Giettaz March and Les Arcs/Les Gets in April. Maybe particularly excellent following 2011 which wasn't great and particularly poor for a holiday we had in April.
ski holidays
marmotte16, Umm, well, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am. It just wasn't one of those winters that you write home about.

But it also depends on how you define a good winter.

IIRC 2010-2011 for example, was generally terrible in terms of snowfall, but it was sunny and cool vs normal. So piste skiing was well groomed, smooth and firm. Despite the usual nonsense from the Uk press about the end of alpine skiing, (a line of drivel I have been moaning about since 1988) all of our clients had a lovely sunny time on well prepped pistes. (excepti those who had a lovely time in the sometimes excellent off piste).[list=]

My question would be, are you out here all season? Because if you are you can judge, if you are not....[/list]
ski holidays
I think that last year was pretty good - apart from three weeks in February we were out for the whole season mostly in Les Gets/pds. And a week elsewhere in France and one in Austra.
ski holidays
under a new name, FFS I was not out all season - I clearly highlighted in my post above when I was out. Just saying that I had no cause to moan about the snow conditions that I experienced last season rolling eyes For me, that was a good thing.

Why the antagonism?
snow report
I was in Morzine early Jan and Morgins mid Feb and both times got snowed on. In Feb it was cold and firm at the beginning, then snowed all day and night Weds so on Thurs I was flying through the air and landing on my face and just roaring with laughter. Then the sun came out and we had a couple of warm days. It was the best season, for me, of the last 9 that I have been going to PdS.
ski holidays
under a new name, well like you sat you are entitled to your opinion... Razz Smile

Anyway who cares about last season, it's all about the now.
ski holidays
marmotte16, No antagonism on my part.

P.s. Your O.P. said nothing about when you you were out, nor for how long.

I guess all I'm alluding to is that it's very easy to form a firm opinion about a season or a resort based on very limited experience.

marmotte16, i'm delighted that you formed a +ve experience. What I hear most often is something along the lines of (from a skier, after one week somewhere with unseasonably warm/unsnowy/rainy/etc. weather) is "such and such a place is slushy/gets no snow/rains all the time/etc. or from the press, as very clearly last year in mid December, "Alpine skiing is finished".

I own a rentals business so all please be assured that all I want every year is an excellent season.

It's also fair to note that my definition of excellent is probably not yours; mine being a. That I have lots of happy clients who go home telling everyone how good it was and b. where I get lots of nice off piste and bumps.

Under category a. Last year, and the year previously were worrying at the time but excellent in retrospect. Under category b. not really at all.
snow report
im out in PDS on 12 Jan for 2 weeks, I'll be staying in St Jean, anyone got any info on there?
ski holidays
Huckacliff duckabranch, Never stayed, it's quite small. Good restaurant, l'Amandier, good pizza in Bar Nationale. Easy access to Grande Terche skiing, often quiet on a powder day.
latest report
under a new name, yes thats what i'd figured the pow stays untracked for longer than else where, not skied in PDS before whats the terrain like ar Grande Terche?
snow report
Huckacliff duckabranch, Tbh, I don't know. Never saw the point in driving down when I know where to find stashes around the main (and higher) PdS.

Chums say it's quite entertaining.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
I guess all I'm alluding to is that it's very easy to form a firm opinion about a season or a resort based on very limited experience.

Luckily, and in particular for those who work in the ski industry, there are skiers/ski 'tourists' about (and many who have posted regularly on this thread and others) who a) don't form an opinion based on changeable mountain conditions, and b) don't believe doom and gloom c0wdoo in the papers. For me that would have stuffed up a stack of skiing in Les Gets/Morzine etc for the last 10 years as our second week there was pants.
latest report
marmotte16, I'm pleased to hear it didn't.

Sadly, those like you are far fewer and between than I would like. Witness calls on here last year about cancelling holidays because there was almost no snow a week before Xmas week.

In all fairness, I was selfishly concerned about what we were going to do with our guests. Luckily it all turned out fine in the end snowHead
snow conditions
It's going to be crap; worse than 2010/11; don't book; stay away. I'm not in the business and don't want your money.
snow report
Ps,

Grand Terche. As mentioned, worth a visit on a powder day if all else is skied out. The skiing is fine, if a little limited. The lifts....hmmmm. Somewhat prehistoric. It will be good to have transport so that you can visit the connected part of the PDS.

cheers
snow conditions
zzz, Humbug.
ski holidays
zzz, And, on that, what was your opinion on last season?
latest report
Much the same as yours. A limited number of very big dumps with very cold temps to keep it all in shape. I skied great powder throughout Jan (I think), but only by going off the beaten track. April was fun too. I had to get my skis out again!!

Nothing like the weekly powder of 94/95 though.
snow conditions
zzz, Glad to hear I wasn't the only one finding it unexceptional.

Loads of snow in Champoluc btw, and forecast to continue...could this be about to maybe be epic?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Sunshine81, and PDS snow is a little different, but not so much.

Beg to differ, PDS snow is of a far higher quality and quantity. But I may be biased just a little Toofy Grin
latest report
DallyPaul, Ah, that's why the PdS stays open for so long after the Grands Montets close!

Tbh, tho', it's my perception that you get a little more sunshine than we do. Twisted Evil
latest report
under a new name,

I hope so. An early ski in Champoluc then?
ski holidays
zzz, Apparently one lift open on Thursday/fri. Darn, we didn't know or we'd have broken earliest skiing day record.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy