Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel//Les Gets/Morzine 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
It was extremely cold out yesterday - so a few more layers today and we enjoyed Mt Chery where it was not at all busy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The friend who was taken off the Arbis on Monday in blood wagon, then helicopter, ambulance etc is still in Thonon hospital - having had an operation on Tuesday pinning the femur. Her husband went to pay the bill yesterday at the lift station in Morzine - 801 euros for the three vehicles as they paid 260 euros for the ambulance to hospital. He is keeping all the receipts! She think she will be flown home Tuesday at the earliest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

He is keeping all the receipts!

Pamski, he has presumably spoken to his insurance? In my (recent) experience beyond the emergency phase they want to make their own arrangements - when I needed a second ambulance, to go back to the medical centre for monitoring, I suggested I phoned the same company who had bought me home but they insisted on arranging an ambulance from their normal supplier, who was based a fair bit further away (in Sallanches). If the company doesn't have a hand in the repatriation arrangements they might decline to pay.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, oh yes, numerous calls to the insurance co. Insure to Go I think and they have a liaison officer with the hospital who speaks to the surgeon etc - he could have just given the lift co the insurance details but that was going to involve a bit of toing and froing and faxing and he thought it was quicker just to pay and send on the receipt.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last full day of the season for me. Genuinely cold in the morning (at least an extra layers worth). Snow everywhere pretty good with a few icy bits but equally a few bits of fresh. Actually got some views today - first time this week we had seen the Dents du Midi.

The odd queue (including to order at the burger joint in Avoriaz that shall not be named!) but really not busy.

Anyone arriving for next week will have a fine old time and the Easter crowds are sure to have enpugh snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lovely skiing in Les Gets and Morzine today - and great lack of crowds. Sun out and we were able to enjoy lunch outside.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A fine last half day! Blue sky and -8C at 08.30. Bargain E20 lift pass as it was some sort of MTB, Snow scooter and inflatable li-lo championship at Super Chatel (I kid you not). Lunatics the lot of them. Mass starts in each event. 30 bike pile up outside restaurant Portes du Soleil by the drag lifts.

After that excitement there was virtually no one around. Perfect pistes, sun and no queues.

Headed to Torgon, La Chapelle for coffee and cakes. Back to Barbossine through the trees (sketchy).

Off piste types take care - some huge slides above Torgon.

That's it for me this season. 20 days and enjoyed every one.

The Birmingham contingent have just gone through security at Geneva and I'm left with a 3 hour wait for the Stansted flight. I've found a screen showing the rugby and have half a baguette, ham tomme and two small beers to keep me going.

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been snowing all day in Avoriaz. It's been getting dryer and stronger in the evening, IMO there are at least 10 cm of new snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
20cm in Champéry village in two hours this morning! "Shane" Shovel has been awoken from his vacation slumber and we are back at snow clearing. Up top it's falling thick and fast too, more due this weekend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
About 30-40cm at top of Rochelles lift in Plaine Dranse. Bit dicey visibility but cleared enough a little lower to allow for some amazing skiing. My boarder pal was getting rather emotional. More snow tonight then hopefully a bit of clearer skies and we are off to the Swiss side to explore their areas. Never been to Portes du Soleil area before so it's all new to me. So far it's been chuffin ace.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting snow...

(Edited again) probably worth mentioning that there's about 40-60cms of fresh, maybe more in places, and more forecast for the weekend.

Who suggests the season is over?

(Editover)

A great day out nonetheless with shep, zzz and others after a tip top supper in the Clin d'Oeil last night.

Variable, somewhat windblown. Deep in places, very heavy in others. Shep's decsription was mashed potato. I don't think it was so lumpy, so I'd consider it ice cream.

Took a little bit of getting used to but rewarding. Hidden valley was definitely the right call. Light and fluffy. Not like potato at all!

Trying to find the route between the cliffs to lunch marginally less successful.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely interesting snow, this morning really nice by lunchtime very hot and snow became sticky to the the point of weird later on afternoon nice spring snow

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 23-03-13 7:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

this morning breally nice by lunchtime vreslly hit and dnow became sticky to tgr the point of weird kater in afternoon nice spring snow

yes, that does sound weird.... wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Happy sorted now. A little cloudy this morning.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi - Hows Les Gets looking - i am out there on the 6th April taking the kids for their first time skiing. Is it still looking great!!!

Cheers
Gaz
snow report
We decided to go over to the Chatel side this morning - our PDS season passes have hardly been used this year - the viz was very poor - so no going very high at all and we pottered around the Plaine Dranse level for a couple of hours before making (feeling) our way back to Ardent. Back to Les Gets and we went up Mt Chery as we don't think it is going to be open after this coming weekend. Luckily we know our way round there well so a couple of runs down the Lievre and then three down the Marmottes, in the clouds, and into the GO for lunch. Absolutely no view from the windows but a good lunch and then came down the Chamois to the village. Snowy rain at the moment - hope it clears up a bit in the next couple of days.
latest report
Bit of a 'Pea Soup' kind of week! New snow fall, intermittently mixed with warmer temperature, low cloud, mist and fleeting appearance of the sun predicted on Wednesday at about 11.57am for 11 minutes before normal service of greyness resumed. Bit of an endless winter!! I am so over this lack of sun now, I feel I can count the sunny days on one hand in the last month! Blush
snow conditions
summer,

I'm with you on that one. Totally fed up with snow and cloud. When will it end?? Sad
ski holidays
Pea Soup again looking out of the windows now - we went over to Praz de Lys/Sommand today for a change and down in the runs through the trees it was perfect - every now and again the sun slightly shone and we really did appreciate that. Very, very quiet there - just like having your own resort.
latest report
Pamski wrote:
Pea Soup again looking out of the windows now - we went over to Praz de Lys/Sommand today for a change and down in the runs through the trees it was perfect - every now and again the sun slightly shone and we really did appreciate that. Very, very quiet there - just like having your own resort.

Very interesting, we were nearly going to be in Praz de Lys/Sommand for the day on Friday as we need to make an overnight stop Thurs and I found a nice looking hotel nearby, I thought it'd make a change and be good to try a little known area but the hubby vetoed it Mad Maybe as well as we then found out that two different sets of friends will be around Ardent on Friday and so we'll try to meet both.

How are the temps looking? I am in the middle of packing and don't know whether to chuck in T shirts or fleeces Laughing
latest report
sarah,
Quote:

chuck in T shirts or fleeces

Yes - probably both! Its -3 here now - I am still skiing in thermals, light fleece, quilted jacket and shell outer jacket - having discarded the new heavier down jacket. I can open various zips etc on outer shell but haven't needed to yet. But when, yes when, the sun comes out in the afternoon it can be warm.
snow report
Pamski, Thanks so much, chucked in the lot in the end, one of the benefits of driving Smile

Light snow here in Cheshire this morning, hoping it will not hamper my drive South later this morning Confused
snow conditions
I was there (staying in Chatel) Friday to Monday Inclusive. Saturday onwards was pretty poor - worst visibility on Monday; complete pea soup and also warm. So the snow was, frankly, pretty dreadful: melted, refrozen. Off piste was like wet concrete, on piste acceptable but heavy.

The slush did turn the Swiss Wall into a bit of a pussycat though, so not all bad! Nice bouncing down through slushy, soft bumps. Not so nice dodging the frankly extraordinary numbers of people falling down it on their faces. In fact, the whole weekend was beginner central - felt pretty sorry for nervous skiers on Monday in the poor conditions with only a few metres' visibility.

End of season snow, but sadly with snow/rain rather than the usual lovely sunshine. If I had not had lots of other skiing this season, I wold be bitterly disappointed!
latest report
Harry Flashman, but that's mountains any time for you - you can't predict what you are going to get...

Looks beautiful up there today, sunny, mild, will be excellent spring skiing!
snow report
under a new name, and yes, today, it is absolutely beautiful. We have spent the day up on Mt Chery, up there first thing thinking I had too many layers on. At one stage I discarded the goggles for glasses, opened up the vents on the jacket and the helmet.... but by the time we have just come down its all done up again - wonderful sunshine and so great to be able to see but a really cold wind. The Chery Nord side was terrific.
snow report
Pamski, nice,

And the forecast improving for the weekend Very Happy
ski holidays
Gits! Want to be back out there!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Pamski, nice,

And the forecast improving for the weekend Very Happy

Great stuff, on my way now snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolutely heaving it down on Mt Chery today, boot deep powder on piste.
Wet down low, but setting up for a great couple of days.
Empty pistes due to low vis, enjoyed a great lunch in the Grand Ourse, now have all the info needed for our 6 yer olds schooling, so it looks like we may do the full season next year.....
snow conditions
Arrived at Ardent around 11:30ish, to find heavy snowfall (had been raining hard where we're staying in St Jeans D Aulps). Spent the day teaching my Dad to ski powder on mellow stuff around the Avoriaz side of the Super Morzine, lots of fun. Easy terrain, but you can cut a long way either side of the blue run with very minimal effort to get back to the chairlift, ensuring fresh tracks on every run all day. Good food (and brandy) at the little hut just about the Super Morzine gondola, as well as two massive, fluffy and cuddle-loving cats.

As we got back to Ardent at the end of the day the snow down was a little heavier/wetter at the base, but still 'snow.' Tomorrow should be good.

If anyone has any idea where I could rent a reasonable sized pair of skis with touring bindings/skins for my Dad tomorrow (at least as wide as his Sultan 85s) that'd be great...
snow conditions
Stop posting guys - I don't want to hear it (whatever it is). I'm at home in Colchester (still got snow outside the back door) and the best I can hope for is sun at the Higham point-point on Saturday.

No more skiing for me until next December.

Grumpy Sad
latest report
DJL wrote:
Stop posting guys - I don't want to hear it (whatever it is). I'm at home in Colchester (still got snow outside the back door) and the best I can hope for is sun at the Higham point-point on Saturday.

No more skiing for me until next December.

Grumpy Sad

Same here, Godson is out in Avoriaz and says spent the day in the Pow!!!
Sad
latest report
Driving out tonight - staying in St Jean D'Aulps - cant wait Very Happy
snow conditions
If anyone has any idea where I could rent a reasonable sized pair of skis with touring bindings/skins for my Dad tomorrow (at least as wide as his Sultan 85s) that'd be great...[/quote]

All Mountain Rental will be able to sort you out.

Bob
latest report
Ardoyne, cheers. Which village is it in?
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Ardoyne, cheers. Which village is it in?

Clarky,

In Morzine. Probably best to pop into Beanies coffee shop (centre of Morzine Rue de Bourg) and ask for Jamie. He will probably have kit there, but may need to get it from the other shop on the Montriond road.

Bob
ski holidays
clarky999, the shop is on the road that runs down the valley on the Montriond side of the road. On the right as you're driving out of Morzine towards Montriond. They have a web site and will deliver to your accommodation.

The other place that does touring kit is Francois Baud sports, which is near the Pleney lift. The building with the penguin logo.
snow conditions
Completely white all over down in Morzine this morning and still coming down! Hopefully it will stay colder and be less wet today, been pretty soaked past two days Laughing
snow conditions
About three inches here in Les Gets this morning sitting on the post box. Cedric has just been to clear the drive - one swoop in and back to the tarmac again so quite wet I think.
latest report
Is it ever going to be spring? I wouldn't mind just a glimpse of the sun on Easter Sunday Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy