Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel//Les Gets/Morzine 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Snow in Chatel too. A bit wet in the carpark but should be better further up. Quite a bit of cloud at the moment. Not busy at Pre La Joux/Linga and quite a few keading home last night

Nice warmup yesterday before the rugby. Pistes in good nick and only soft at the very bottom but too warm.

Torgon/La Chapelle today.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a day in Champery/Avoriaz yesterday. The morning was spent in blazing sunshine, the pistes were a little hard at first in Champery but perfectly skiable, and the best snow to be found was above Avoriaz, as usual.

After a terrific lunch at La Cremaillere in the goat village, the light went a bit flat, and coupled with the softer conditions the afternoon wasn't so good so I packed it in at about 3.30 or so.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow in the latter part of the night so we had up to 10cm of fresh snow on top of the firm prepared piste. Fresh tracks on the first few runs to Barbossine then over to Þorgon and La Chapelle.

Run to Torgon was fun but icy slushy on the last part. Very quiet everywhere. Visibility variable.

Avoriaz tomorrow I think
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not very pleasant in Les Gets today - we should have gone out earlier of course and at just after 11 horrid great heaps and ruts and people.... one quick run down the Vorosses and I decided my cupboards needed tidying and OH had a new towel rail to fix so we came home via the loggers path. Felt it was knee injuring stuff - and now have just heard that one of our friends staying on the other side of the village was taken off the mountain in LG today and off in an ambulance down to Thonon, with her husband in pursuit once he had extracted the car keys from her jacket - with a suspected fracture of the hip.
Very sad for them as only here for a few days - and they were cooking supper for us tonight. At least we can offer him a bed if he is around for a while.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pamski, sounds like cupboard tidying was much the most attractive option. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your supper date. Hope you friend is OK. She has my sympathy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good skiing on Mt Chery today. Pistes got lumpy pretty quickly after about 15cm of dense snow overnight, so you need to make changes to your technique to cope with the snow conditions. Very warm in the afternoon, especially in the bumps on the backside of the hill, but very enjoyable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

you need to make changes to your technique to cope with the snow conditions.

any suggestions about that, rob@rar? At this time of year it could be very relevant. I'm quite nervous of knee-breaking conditions and aware that I sometimes don't tackle it with enough confidence.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, we looked across the valley and thought we had picked the wrong side today!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pamski, it was very quiet, but did get lumpy so I don't think it would have been that much nicer than the other side of the valley. Will be great tomorrow once they have pisted it Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

you need to make changes to your technique to cope with the snow conditions.

any suggestions about that, rob@rar? At this time of year it could be very relevant. I'm quite nervous of knee-breaking conditions and aware that I sometimes don't tackle it with enough confidence.

If it's lumpy it is much more difficult to steer your skis by twisting them (hard work, and very easy to catch an edge). So you therefore need to make an adjustment to how you steer your skis in order to have good control of your line and speed. If you can't twist/steer your skis as easily as you would like to you need to use a bit more edge and a bit more pressure to shape your turns. So while the snow is still a bit soft think about allowing the pressure to build up more at the end of the turn (like we did that day in Tignes when we were skiing in zero viz). When the snow gets a bit harder, with lumps and bumps on the piste, keep your speed down and perhaps do shorter radius turns around then.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, but at least if it was quiet you didn't have the feeling that the whole of Paris was going to plough into you. Roll on next weekend.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski, didn't once think about other skiers, and not one lift queue all day Happy Will be skiing Pleney/Les Gets side tomorrow, so will see how that goes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, very helpful advice above -
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pamski wrote:
rob@rar, very helpful advice above -
Be patient with your turns when conditions are like they were today. You can't twist your skis quickly, so allow the skis to turn you rather than trying to force them around.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski, very sorry to hear about injury - pass on our get well wishes.
snow report
rob@rar, thanks. I hope I'm going to to be able to give that a try, by the end of the month. Carefully..... wink
latest report
We have been out this evening with friends and the husband of the friend who is now down in Thonon hospital so heard all the details of the bloodwagon, helicopter to outside Les Gets and then ambulance to med centre and another one to hospital. A lot of very helpful people during the course of all this, the outstanding one being a Parisian guy, dressed all in black who arrived on the scene about the time that the paramedics/blood wagon guys arrived and explained what was happening to our friend on the ground and her husband, talked to the medics back to them, followed them down the mountain to the Blanchot cafe where the helicopter landed nearby - the husband of our friend thought he was something official - he then explained that he was just another skier, had skied Les Gets for 40 years, starting when he was 5, and that his wife had a bad accident in January and is still not skiing etc etc - and then they got to talk about rugby!
ski holidays
Pamski, so was that on Arbis then?
snow report
marmotte16, yes on Arbis which was very chopped up and hugely crowded at the time. We only go over there now if we get there really early and leave before it gets busy.
ski holidays
Pamski, Hope your friend recovers quickly. I'm just about to book another two weeks in LG from the 23rd. We were there at the same time last season and had some great skiing in the mornings so I'm hoping for the same this year!
snow conditions
Snowing at Petit Chatel and has been on and off since at least 7.

Not heavy but a welcome topup.

Off to investigate and try out Avoriaz
latest report
Quote:

hugely crowded at the time.

roll on the end of the Paris holidays, eh what?
ski holidays
We're heading out on the 23rd for ten days - woo hoo!!! Does anyone know if the new cable car opened yet at Les Prodains? If not, do you think we could get children up to ski school at Avoriaz by 9am with the old one? Normally the kinder ski with ESF in Morzine, but we're later this year, so just in case the snow has all gone, we thought we'd try Les Village des'Enfants.
snow report
I don't think it's opened yet, based on here:

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?s=3e99682f6ae3e6f4e6b597ada5751ad2&showtopic=14636&st=540

But I thought it was meant to be running at least a little bit this season, so there might be a chance?
snow conditions
MeMyselfandI, I think she was operated on last night and is being flown home tomorrow. We were on the gondola at Ardent at 9 this morning, the viz got much better up higher, Fornet etc, and then it looked lovely over in Switzerland so we went over there quickly where the snow was very nice, and then back down the Abricotine to be home to meet friends who flew into Geneva at 10. Worst part of their journey was getting to Gatwick by 5 a.m.
I thought that the new Prodains cable car was not going to open this year.
latest report
Not much activity at the new Prodains lift though they have the cars on the cable and they had moved between our first and second laps down Coupe du Monde.

Bit of everything today, fresh snow, rain, little bit of sun, zero visibility in places and windy at times. Snow high up still good but very soft low down.

Much busier in Avoriaz than Chatel. All told it is not bad for Paris holiday week. The only queue all day was 16.00 for Express du Tour to get out of Avoriazz and that was only 5 minutes. Eepveryone must be in Les Gets!
ski holidays
DJL, Les Gets didn't seem to be too busy today. Very few lift queues, and plenty of space on piste to open up the speed.

Spent a very enjoyable morning on the nursery slopes above Les Gets, then the afternoon skiing long radius turns in Les gets and short radius turns on the Morzine stade. Another bit of heavy snow overnight, and mild temperatures led to soft snow on the lower slopes in the afternoon. Forecast to get colder, but that hasn't arrived yet, and we had a rain shower in Morzine around 5pm.
snow report
Very cloudy in Chatel. 0C at 1300m but no sign of any fresh snow.

Hope the rain in the village last night was snow higher up.

Just starting to clear so we'll go and have a look.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
same story in Morzine.. clouds seem a little patchy but thick up around the top of the pleney.. headed over the Avoriaz side hoping its better up on high..
ski holidays
Grand Terche circuit in a sorry state. Men shovelling snow over bare patches on the last km.
ski holidays
very sketchy on the lower runs today.. sugary snow draped thinly over an icy base.. very heavy crust on the stuff between the trees higher up too. Looking forward to a little more fresh stuff!
snow conditions
Not a classic day. Cloudy almost everywhere and for the first time ever chose to do several laps of the Ardent gondola as it was the best place to ski and the onlyrun with any visibility. Initially quiet and firm snow - later busy and scraped.

Over to Avoriaz and couldn't see a thing.

Decided it was a day for vin chaud, crepes, lunch and an early finish.

Noticably colder and light snow falling at the moment.
latest report
DJL, visibility was very poor wasn't it. Had some fun turns on the stade in Linga in the morning where we were below the cloud, and finished the day lapping the Arden gondola doing some work on the blue piste back down. Also finished early, although that was to head back to Morzine for a written exam rather than vin chaud and crepes.
snow conditions
still snowing down in Morzine.. snowHead
latest report
White out on Mont Chery today. Currently snowing in Morzine. Forecast for -15 tomorrow.
latest report
Agree that the viz in Les Gets was almost nil today - first day out for friends staying so difficult for them - back to the chalet at 1.30 to find other friends had moved in, eating, drinking, and so it went on...Looks all white again out there now on the road, drive and cars. See what the morning brings.
snow report
I'm all booked now, I posted this on the OPdSNTW thread as well but if there is anyone around during the week between 23/3 and 5/4 who is looking for a morning skiing partner let me know.
ski holidays
DJL, and any other of you regulars based in Chatel. I've booked late onto a chalet to do some skiing before end of season. Gonna be solo for the week, hoping some contacts through the chalet will be able to show me round but if not and the weather stays bad I could be in a bit of bother.

39 yr old male skier comfortable on all pistes. Did a bit of off piste for 1st time last yr and loved it but well guided. Looking for some people to enjoy exploring a new (to me) ski area, the odd vin chaud or serieux and a decent mountain lunch or two.

Gonna be staying in Chalet Le Cret (alpineretreat-chatel) arriving this Saturday 16th March. Hope to be on slopes 1st thing Sunday morning. There all week.

Love to party too so if anyone wants to get smashed the odd night then that's definitely on the cards.

If anyone fancies meeting up then PM me and I'll send my phone number. Cheers, Dan.
snow report
NotBad, Dan, I'm afraid that we head home on Saturday lunchtime. If I can find it I'll post some suggested routes I put together last season in case you end up on your own.

Currently in Abricotine for lunch having done ther clockwise circuit in variable visibility. Petit Chatel, Super Chatel, Morgins, Champoussin, Les Crosets (coffee), Grand Paradis, Les Crosets, Mosettes and lunch. Very cold in places but much better vis than yesterday. Snowed all morning but sun now shining. Pistes well refreshed with the odd scraped area. In places a foot of new snow where the wind had moved it. Some recent slides above Les Crosets.

Looks good for this afternoon and tomorrow!
snow conditions
Sounds good. I'm just hoping the cold stays until I arrive so this fresh snow doesn't become rain and mess it up.

Hoping to meet some people in the chalet and the bar that I'm told is just down the road from chalet. I usually get on with most types so should be fine. If not then I'll just ski within myself until I do find some ski buddies.

Enjoy your last day in the new snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy