Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel//Les Gets/Morzine 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
What, you didn't know. I thought you co-owned the resort these days under a new name,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zzz, Working on it, in progress... Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zzz wrote:
It's going to be crap; worse than 2010/11; don't book; stay away. I'm not in the business and don't want your money.

+1
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Huckacliff duckabranch wrote:
im out in PDS on 12 Jan for 2 weeks, I'll be staying in St Jean, anyone got any info on there?

As per MrGotOutOfBedTheWrongSide wink

Grand Terche is a disaster if you consider your only mission in life is to clock up miles. But it has some (relatively limited and) very fine pistes. And some excellent off-piste if you're prepared to make an effort.

As a note of warning. If you do decide to go off-piste then take a map and pay attention. The landscape is very unforgiving in terms of you being sucked off into some obscure valley with an unrelenting hike out. I've not been there, but a friend has.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
It just wasn't one of those winters that you write home about.

+1

Some very good days, to be sure, but not enough of them as a whole. A good year for piste skiing, but a poor one for bumps and off-piste.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
While all this reminiscing over our shared love is quite touching. TELL US ABOUT THE SNOW! Avoriaz is properly white right? Web cams show snow all over the place?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow Hound, yeah but still 7 weeks to go until seasonal opening (proper). Anything could still happen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

A good year for piste skiing, but a poor one for bumps and off-piste.

That must be why I enjoyed it!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had ten centimetres plus this morning in Champery....Sun out now and going rather quickly! Pics of up top look great.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quick question....

We have a week off work 15th December, 2 little kids, and not much money.

Need childcare so options limited.

Wondering whether to take a chance on Les Gets (with skifamille) and hope for snow. Apparently the area doesn't officially open until 22nd December but operator claims has opened early in every previous season.....

What's the recieved wisdom amongst you lot who know the area?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Gets does open before the official opening date sometimes, - tends to be open at the weekends if it is open early - and we would expect to go and ski Avoriaz/Chatel Linga from Ardent until Les Gets open. Some years more of Morzine has opened before Les Gets too. I expect Ski Famille would bus you to the open parts if LG itself is not open - and you do have that lovely childcare.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Pamski.

Sure they would bus us around, but don't know whether I can face it Smile
4-year old's ski school would be in avoriaz anyway by all accounts. Eek, just don't know what to do.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robertsnerys, if you don't want to travel to ski school then Les Gets on weekdays before Dec 22 is probably not for you. As Pamski says, opening is often limited to weekends at that time. Ski Famille has a great reputation though - aren't they also in Les Ménuires, which is a bit higher? Maybe worth asking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robertsnerys, Maybe in every previous season in their memory, some of our memories are a little longer...

Official opening is 22nd.

The PDS did open fully last year early but it was touch and go.

No options anywhere higher?

I'd ris kit if it was just me and my mates and didn't have any budgetary constraints. Maybe not so in your situation - amusing the kids for a rainy week in a Les Gets chalet effectively out of season doesn't sound like fun to me.

Not that that will be necessary of course.

Can't you otherwise await until the snow arrives at least before booking? It really isn't the busiest week of the year (although flits might be tricky).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all, new to PDS ski area so just wondering what its like. Staying in chatel booked by someone else in our group and am a bit worried it's too low? Going 23rd Feb for a week. Any info would be appreciated.
latest report
snowmam, where are you going/staying? Feb is usually a month you can rely on (school holidays apart wink )
ski holidays
Staying in Chatel villiage in self catered chalet. Not sure of exact address. Usually do ski-in ski-out so not crazy about the idea of skibus. Also wondering about liftpass. Will we have enough to entertain us with chatel pass. Intermediate skiers who like long reds and the odd not too challenging black. Don't do off piste as we have smaller ones with us too??
snow conditions
Thanks for replies underanewname and marmotte. Well, in a turn up for the books my parents are now coming with us so no childcare needed. The world's our oyster. Well, not quite but certainly a wider choice. Decided against LG anyway as too much of a risk I think and I am not one for schlepping about with kids and skis and boots and bags - ugh.

We can only afford to go if we go that week - seems to be very cheapest of season. Otherwise we are tied to ludicrous school holidays.
ski holidays
snowmam, Let us know where you are. It will help with guidance.

There is a gondola from the centre giving access to Super Chatel. If the snow behaves that gives you decent runs of all standards (though not super long) and also access to Morgins and Torgon/La Chapelle all on the Chatel Pass.

From Linga or Pre La Joux you have good access to reds and blues on the Chatel pass and the access point to the wider system. From Cornebois you have a linked system of reds running right to the bottom of Pre La joux? If that isn't long enough you are seriously fit!

A PDS pass opens up the Lindarets valley with good reds and the Swiss side which has some as well. The best blacks are above Avoriaz but that will also need the PDS pass.

Have a great trip!
snow report
robertsnerys wrote:
Wondering whether to take a chance on Les Gets (with skifamille) and hope for snow. Apparently the area doesn't officially open until 22nd December but operator claims has opened early in every previous season.....

I have friends that have used Ski Famille and really rate the company. Personally, I'd happily stay in Les Gets and bus over to the Avoriaz lift and it's about a 15-20 minute journey.

As an alternative, have you looked at The Family Ski Company based at Ardent?
ski holidays
Chalet is in Les Dents Blanche, Chatel, this means nothing to me. Can you tell me if its far from gondola station and what name of main gondola is. Appreciate the replies. Thanks
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
in terms of you being sucked off into some obscure valley with an unrelenting hike out..

I REALLY misread that Laughing
latest report
I thought 11/12 season was definitely excellent/gash... for the 3 days in Jan I was there I can vouch! Snow was excellent vis was gash! Smile
ski holidays
snowmam, If the chalet is where I think it is (Le Jardy?) you have a shuttle bus stop outside which will take you to Linga (to access the Pre La Joux area and over towards Avoriaz) or the village centre (for the gondola to Super Chatel). It is certainly not walkable to the ski lifts. The supermarket is also fairly near to the chalet though it would be awkward with bags of groceries. Will you have a car? If not I recommend a major shop with a few adults to carry everything and time it to tie in with the ski bus which will pass both supermarket and the chalet. Alternative is Sherpa in the village who deliver.
latest report
Going to be heading out for a second season in Chatel this year. Am staying in Petit Chatel. Quick question, If i get a PDS pass, and take the lifts up to the Super Chatel area, is it possible to ski all the way around the swiss side through Morgins, Champoussin, Les Crosets etc, over towards Avoriaz then over the mountain to Pre la joux? If possible how long would this take?

Cheers
latest report
Yes apart from walking or getting the bus across Morgins. Plus the snow will have to be good enough for the links to be open.

I'm guessing around 90mins to 2 hours. But someone who knows better will confirm.
snow report
gpbutler1, Yes you can go that way but there are a few "what ifs". It has to be the part of the season when the Barbossine lift is running and there has to be enough snow to get down to Morgins.

Basically take the two lifts up from Petit Chatel, then the drag lift up to Tour de Don. From there you ski down to the bottom of the Super Chatel area, up Chermeu lift and you are into the Super Chatel area. The best way round to the Swiss side is to take the other drag from the bottom of Chermeu (new one, fairly little altitude gain, don't remember the name) and then up the Chalet Neuf drags. You then head down into Morgins and through the village.

From Morgins up Follieuse, make your way across to Les Crosets via Champosussin (lots of route choices) and from there you can take the Mossettes lift or Grand Conche which let you ski down the Lindaerets valley and to the Chaux Fleurie lift to the ridge above the Pre La Joux area.

There are some pretty slow lifts and quite a few drags amongst that lot and I reckon its towards three hours to get to the bottom of Pre La Joux.
snow report
Morning,
After my other requests about childcare in Morzine, we've booked it and us adults now have 5hours a day child-free ski-ing!! Very Happy Yay! So my question is... which ski pass?? With 5 hours a day to play, will a Morzine/Les Gets be enough or should we go for the full PDS? Our adult group has all levels of skiers, so I can see us going off in smaller groups to ski. Thanks for any advice. Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MrsCnP, If you are splitting into groups and don't all feel the need to do ski school drop off and pickup each day I would think the stronger skiers would want the full PDS pass so they can get to Avoriaz and the Swiss side a couple of times.

Its worth looking at the lift pass options - you might be able to save a few quid with a combination of local or PDS 5 hour passes, 5 day non-consecutive passes and PDS day tickets though it can be a bit of a carry on getting yourself organised.

More hours poring over the lift company website needed!
snow conditions
On the subject of lift passes my OH has been doing all his research so that we can pass on info to friends and relations who are coming to stay with us and the cost of our season passes for PDS has been confusing him a bit - and he has cracked why the figures seemed a bit odd to him in relation to last year etc - we are now only getting 10% for being seniors rather than 20% that has applied in previous years. I suppose its something to do with the number qualifying for seniors increasing and having to balance their books... now have to hope that we will still get the 20% discount as residents that we have also enjoyed, can't usually see that on the websites but we are there this weekend so might enquire - if anywhere is open of course.
snow conditions
Pamski, New curry house is open. Bombay Ski Club.
Not tried it yet, but the locals seem to like it. Probably the only place that is open. Very quiet at present everywhere.
snow report
DallyPaul, thanks!
ski holidays
Oh my god a curry house, fantastic!!! Getting exited as it's time to load the car for tomorrow's 6am departure for Dover!!! Thank god the snow has'nt stuck in the valley as my snow chains are still in that French supermarket!!!
ski holidays
DJL, Thanks for info sounds about right as owner said chalet is near big supermarket. Ta. Now we just have to hope for lots of white stuff
latest report
Pamski, Quite a bit open considering it is inter season Bigfoots/Bombay ski club and Barbylon for a beer (bar bush reopens on 30th Nov after a refurb. Choucas,carnotzet, remise and optreken open for food.

Andy
snow report
Does anyone know if a PDS season pass includes any away days. Last seasons paradiski pass had 10 days which was nice?
latest report
Daleskier, in the past it has usually given us three free days in other resorts in the. Haute Savoie and then three days at half price in some Swiss resort
latest report
Verbier and chamonix?
snow report
Daleskier, you get three French vouchers and three Swiss ones.

The French ones are for one day at any of Flaine (and associated), Praz des Lays / Sommand, Megeve, Chamonix (ex-Les Houches), Les Houches, and a number of others. One day only at any one resort.

If you have a BASI license it's worth knowing that Les Houches seems to give half price on production of an ISIA license. I've even had half price for a L2 license a couple of times.

The Swiss resorts give you half price on a day pass for a range of resorts including Verbier. You can do all three days in any of the resorts.

You must show your PDS season pass when presenting the voucher and you may need to purchase the appropriate hands-free pass.
snow conditions
Cheers guys, should be at least a good birthday in march then.....have arrived in morzine so 'am waiting for the snow to arrive'
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy