Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2012 / 2013

Poster: A snowHead
It has been chucking it down all morning. The snow is getting a bit wet at 1600, but still proper snow, not rain. Fine higher up. Happy
About 10 cm fallen at 1600m, with about 15cm fallen above 2000. Been playing in the trees all morning on coomb and ecureuils. Loads of fun

Visibility good until about 12:00, but closed in now.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ringingmaster, Yes indeed, what the forecasts say and what happens in resort are 2 very different things. Look mid January not end March Shocked Laughing What an Easter Madeye-Smiley Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, that's me cancelled out. A combination of the work, the g/f's minute-to-minute changing plans and other business issues (thank you, so-called professional, for not doing a simple job within a three week time frame) meant I have had to shelve the trip. Ho hum! Really sorry to have missed what looks to be epic conditions - have a ball, peeps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RattytheSnowRat, worry not, we'll look after your drinks' ration at Georges...

But seriously, that's a real shame. A toute a l'heure.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No photo's, but I recon 30 cm fallen so far, and it is still chucking it down. Also starting to go colder, and falling as big fluffy lumps @ 1600. Today has gone from worrying about rain to one of the best days skiing i have ever had. We spent most of the afternoon off-piste in the forests above Vallandry, and had a ball. Caught the lst lift, and got in just after 6:00.

WOW. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster, Pleased for you but also very jealous Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We also played in those forests ringingmaster, the runs below the Vallandary lifts were perfect. Also, had some great runs down Villaroger way as everyone had avoided it leaving lots of lovely deep untracked snow. Now sat in our campervan desperately trying to dry out clothes for tomorrow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveB, the bits we enjoyed the most were 100 meters or so into the trees on the 1800 side of barmont, and between reynard and bosses.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were a bit further over. We skied under the Peisey lift and my kids were darting in and out of the woods between Aigle and Ours.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bit misty this morning, but good visibility.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing all morning again. Bout 5 - 10 cm. playing in the trees again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ringingmaster, I'm loving your morning photos Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lovely day day today bit grey bit overcast lots of new light snow, it was nice to see snowCrazy Chris over here in La Plagne with his Ladies Very Happy
As they all said best conditions are in La Plagne Very Happy Very Happy Despite all the slow lifts!

PS snowcrazy its Le Forperet Restaurant wink But yes it does serve a rather good omelette!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great conditions on piste up high. Claggy lower down. A bit of rain at 1600, but snow higher up.
Great day again. Heading home tomorrow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rained heavily about seven o'clock. Then turned to snow.

Great supper at La Vache .
snow report
http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/03/29/les-arcs-une-russe-de-41-ans-emportee-par-une-avalanche-sur-une-piste-de-la-station

Sad news of the death of a Russian in an avalanche onto the Grand Renard piste yesterday.
latest report
Did she actually die? In any case my thoughts are with her family and friends.

I can't believe an avalanche could happen on such a busy piste....
snow report
araird, Apparently she died in Grenoble today.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/03/30/avalanche-aux-arcs-la-skieuse-russe-est-decedee
snow conditions
Yes, I just got the from LD. Very, very, sad and surely avoidable. I hope there a lot of questions will be asked about the piste management failures that led to her death and something will be learnt from it. With all the technology, knowledge and expertise that's built up over the last 40 years about potential avalanche control it's really unacceptable that someone should die on a busy, intermediate piste. Sic gloria transit mundi.
ski holidays
Died on piste in an avalanche? Wow that will raise some questions, terrible news Crying or Very sad

Where about on Grand Renard did it happen, the bowl or over the 1800 side?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Article doesn't say, but mentions there will be more information tomorrow.
snow report
genepi, Ah ok, assumption then that it was on piste, lots of off piste that area too is there not. Tragic either way.
ski holidays
Very sad news. These details are now confirmed. My thoughts go out to the family.

Avalanche death of a skier at Les Arcs!

A 41 year old Russian skier died this morning (Saturday) after being swept away by an avalanche yesterday on a piste in the ski resort of Les Arcs (Savoie), it was learned from the police.

The skier was swept away by an avalanche yesterday around 4:20 p.m. when she was skiing with her daughter, her husband and a monitor on the Grand Renard red piste. The avalanche, 1.50 meters high cut across the piste 50 meters wide. Taken at 16:25, the rescue conducted by the ski patrol of the station discovered a skier at 16h52, according to a news station.

In cardiac arrest, the victim was supported by rescuers and a doctor of the station and transported by helicopter to hospital in Grenoble at 18:30. She died in hospital this morning. An investigation by the High Mountain Police (PGHM) Bourg-Saint-Maurice will determine the exact circumstances of the accident.

According Chelle Laurent, CEO of Les Arcs ski area, "this is an area which had been the subject of a preventive triggering of an avalanche in the morning." Such an event "is extremely rare," he told AFP. "Our job is to ensure that it never happens," he added. According PGHM, it had snowed 3 to 5 cm of snow in the station during the day.

An expert in snow stability will conduct the investigation. In addition, the police will interview all those who attended the avalanche.

Very sad information indeed!

I had a day off today as the weather was not that great and it has been a busy week. I shall be back out tomorrow and will post details of the conditions in Les Arcs and the Paradiski in the evening. When further details of this sad accident are released I will update this post.

Stay safe out there everyone, the snow is quite unstable right now.
ski holidays
I am sure it was avalanche level 2 yesterday.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 31-03-13 19:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
When you look at this picture taken from the Vanoise webcam this morning you realise how low the snow line is for this time of year. Normally you would be expecting it much higher and often just bare runs heading into Peisey and Vallandry.

ski holidays
Here's a translation of the Dauphiné article today about the avalanche which killed a Russian skier in Les Arcs yesterday:

The 41 year old Russian skier buried by an avalanche on Friday afternoon at Les Arcs died yesterday morning (saturday).

The avalanche that buried her was 50m wide, while she was skiing on the Grand Renard piste, a link between Arc 2000 and 1800. She was with other skiers and an instructor.

The piste rescue service was quickly alerted and immediately probed the area, but they found the holiday maker half an hour later, in cardiac arrest. She was taken by helicopter by the CRS ALpes to Grenoble Hospital where she was admitted ina critical state.

The slip stared 30m above the piste. However the 'Plan PIDA' avalanche release intervention had been carried out the same morning.

To determine the exact circumstances of this drama the Magistrates at Albertville have opened an inquiry. The piste service has already been questioned. An expert nivologist is expect at the scene today.

According to the magistrate the inquiry will examine if the settting-off the spontaneous avalanche was totally unforseeable, or if, bearing in mind the weather and snow conditions, the piste should have been closed or a second PIDA intervention should have been carried out.

As for Les Arcs/Bourg St Maurice this drame recalls other incidents. At the end of 1980 there were 7 vicitms in two avalanches 5 days apart in the same sector: on the 22nd December 6 skiers were avalanched, of which 4 died. The were off pistes in the Reiches sector. The 28th december a wind slab slide carried off 3 skiers aged 15 and 16, while they were skiing above the Grand Renard piste, with an instructor and others in the group.

Be careful today, the avalanche risque in Haute Tarantaise and surrounding areas is 4 / 5 (high) above 1800m and 3 (marked) below.
snow report
araird, Terrible. Was it in the section of Grand Renard from Transarc to the fork for Pesiey and 1800 or below this spot?
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, We've been wondering that
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi, Yes, I don't know the right hand fork run at all which is the 2nd part of Grand Renard as if we hit that spot 99.99% of the time we are heading to Peisey or Vanoise. One of our favorite runs is Transarcs to Peiesy, a great blast.

Doing the flat bit by Transarc of Grand Renard I do look up at times and wonder when I see people skiing up the side to ski down onto the run.
snow report
thefatcontroller, You sould give it a go when next there - it's one of my favourite runs & usually not too busy. There is quite a steep bit above it just after the split & I guesss that could have gone. Or, as you say, Ag Grive, above the flattish part of the run just down from the top of the Transarc. You often see people climing up there to board/ski down towards the top of Grizzly
snow conditions
Just got home after a great week.

Kind of sobering. My Son's ski instructor told them all that the best snow in the area was on Grand Renard and they should all ski it in the afternoon. We were planning to head that way for a couple of runs for the last hour of the day on Friday. However my daughter got very tired and we headed to the Altiport for a beverage instead much to my sons disgust.
ski holidays
ringingmaster wrote:
I am sure it was avalanche level 2 yesterday.

risk 3/5 on Friday. Probably a naturally occurring full depth / wet snow slide. They are virtually impossible to trigger with explosives / gazex.
snow report
What a fun day Easter Sunday was. Despite the weather not really matching up to the forecast for today. Only a few sunny patches all day. We found plenty of untracked powder together with a real mix of crud, breakable crust and even a bit of hard packed snow on some pistes.

Skied around Les Arcs domain all day on and off piste. We managed to hit a few spots just as the lifts were opened after a few delays so we had fresh tracks in many places.

If you are interested in seeing what the conditions were like. Take a look at the photos I have now posted in the 'March 2013 Album Three' of my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_albums

With all this fresh snow about, although a little heavy lower down. Everyone that is out for Easter week whether skiing 'on piste' or 'off piste' should be in for a good time. But do take care out there, it was 'level 4 avalanche warning' today so you need to know where you are going off piste and be equipped properly if you want to stay safe or go with a guide and have him supply the necessary safety equipment.

After the accident last week in Les Arcs, you can never be to well equipped. You can get a slide anywhere! Take care!

For those wondering. the avalanche was before the fork of the piste coming down from the Transarc in the direction of the Grand Renard lift and the blue run on the right.

araird, Interesting that the article you have just posted was almost the same as the details I had already posted earlier. I think all the newspapers and resort info people have the same source. A very sad day for Les Arcs and one I hope never happens again.
snow report
Great first day with family yesterday, haven't been here since I was 17 on a school trip and that was carnage! Toofy Grin

Couldn't get kids into group classes so got them 2 hours private with ESF, seriously impressed well worth it, will practise with them today & do same tomorrow.

As snowcrazy, Says, bit of a mixed bag of snow but I have no complaints, forgotten what a good area this is. If anyone fancies a ski for a couple of hours this week dm me, comfortable skiing just about everything but not up for taking any risks with current avi rating.
latest report
Guernseyfreerider, If you want to meet up for a ski. Some of us will be at the top of the Arpette at 9.40 am this morning. Or meet in George's Wine bar in Arc 1950 for a chat and a beer at around 5pm to arrange something for another day.

WHAT IT IS LIKE OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW!
At last it is a blue sky day again. Not a cloud in sight. So many places to choose from for a ski today. It is colder outside than yesterday, but the sun will soon warm things up. There is no wind either right now. Time to go.

Have fun everyone. I will be another powder day today.
ski holidays
Davidof:
Quote:

risk 3/5 on Friday. Probably a naturally occurring full depth / wet snow slide. They are virtually impossible to trigger with explosives / gazex.

So should the piste have been open?

Snowcrazy

Sorry for duplication of information, obviously LD is going to be a principal source for us french speakers. I felt it was worth posting the latest article translation as it it had a bit more detail, and a warning.
snow report
> I think all the newspapers and resort info people have the same source.

Of course they do. They don't all have journalists on the ground in every village. In the case of les Arcs the local stringer for the Dauphine will get the story from the rescue services and that will go into the AFP (Agence France Presse) news feed which will be picked up by other outlets. Sometimes there is a local radio station (such as radio Val d'Isere) which reports on things in parallel.

> So should the piste have been open?

If it was a full depth or wet snow slide they are very difficult to predict. This time of year you could close most of the domain. They are largely slow moving so skiers can normally get out of the way but once trapped they will just roll over you. They are not generally survivable if you are buried.
snow report
snowcrazy, Thanks mate, sorry I missed this your post, staying at 1800 so wouldn't have made it this morning by time I got kids sorted!
If you are making plans for tomorrow and don't mind me tagging along for a couple of hours, great, but if you have your own plans no prob at all, cheers snowHead
snow report
There was another slide near top of Grand Renard late morning, a load of piste security were out probing the area but don't think anyone was buried
snow report
Apart from the mishap for one of our party , an 11 year old breaking her leg (spiral tibia frature) today, it was otherwise a fantastic powder blue sky day. However, things are a little more sober in the group with one down, so we shall just have to pass comment that things could have been worse, and we feel for the family of the Russian on Grand Reynard.

Probably as a result of this incident, they had closed Eidelweiss this morning, meaning a whole bunch of unprepared blue run skiers being diverted down the red into the 2000 valley.That was a bit chaotic...

Expecting spring snow by 3pm? Er... no. We caught Varet up at about 4:50, and came down Arondlieres - it was simply gorgeous piste. OK a little mogully at the top, as you might expect, but they were forgiving, a great way for bump-haters to learn, and, yes, even in April, the snow continues to behave like a January.

So with one of us reduced to watching DVDs for the rest of the week, it is difficult to effuse to much about the conditions, but... awesome may be a word overused by teenagers: totally appropriate for today. Am told this will be the ony sunshine we see this fortnight, we wait to find out what else is coming our way.

AR
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy