Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

S3, Prophet 98, Kung Fujas, Scott Venture ????

Poster: A snowHead
I've decided to go fatter and have narrowed the choices down to the four in the title (although I'm sure a few more will be suggested).

Me : male, 85kg, 187cm. Currently ski Scott Punisher @182.

50% off piste : 50% piste. Will always try to be off piste when I can but always spend at least a week with a group of friends who only ski on-piste - albeit fairly rapidly.

I will be buying one of the 11/12 season models as the deals at the moment are brilliant.

They're all great skis but which one would you choose.

Don't ask what kind of skier I am or try to second guess what might be best for me; just sell me the ski that you would buy (or have already) for yourself.

And no, I don't have the option of testing before buying as I have a wad of money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm excited.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like your style. No messing.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Movement Source
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cran wrote:
Movement Source

was a pair on ebay last week, decent ski.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kung fujas will be wrong for your week on piste... Have you considered the mantra?

I have the prophet 98 but won't spend a whole week on piste. If you have enough money burning a hole, get a decent piste/am ski plus something along the lines of what you're thinking for the more mixed on/off piste days.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Of that bunch, the Prophet. I would be looking more at the Voelkl Mantra and Dynastar Slicer though. And the equivalent Blizzard and Nordica offerings.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 9-09-12 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was on the S3 last season as my off piste ski and loved them. Great off piste and still stable / gripped fine on the piste. I have other skis though for when I know I will be just on piste. If I was getting one ski to cover everything 50% on, 50% off I would get the Rossi Experience 98.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think the line is brill on piste for a 98mm ski and would be the one that I would go for out the 3 personally. 98m is a sweet spot I think... seems to work well every where!

my simple answer anyways!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went Scott Mission 183 to Scott Crusade 189 in the end of season sales 2010/11 and am very happy (skied them 4 weeks last season in Europe in great conditions). I would have bought the Venture if it had been out tho' but now it would depend on the deal you can get. I paid around £400 with bindings. N.b. 184cm, 100kg.

Really surprised by how much better on piste than the missions but could be my missions were/ are getting old now. Off piste were great other than the biggest powder days around Xmas 2011/2012 when I could have done with a bit more float ( but I am not light!) and in fact demo'd some White dot Preachers ( only available in 179) which weren't much better.

Get the cheapest!

If I was buying again now I would look at countdown - google it.

Let us know how you got on!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends on what you are looking for in a ski. 50/50 isn't that much info:)
S3 is more of an intermediate ski, great for off-piste and very forgiving in moguls. They are very easy to ski and turn quicker than their waist would suggest but you may find them a bit too soft for the piste and a tail rocker slightly annoying, IMHO this ski could be better without one. Still a very good ski and a popular one too. Don't get 178 - they will be too short for you.
I don't know anything about other skis that you mentioned. For versatility you may want to look at Mantras. I ski Auras which is basically the same ski and they are great everywhere apart from deep powder (above the knees) unless you ski wide open places. A true charger. I have non-rockered model though, so if you find 11/12 model with an "early rise" they should turn quicker, so probably be better in powder where you don't have wide slope too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
S7
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CH2O wrote:
S7

Really?

jzBun wrote:
50% off piste : 50% piste. Will always try to be off piste when I can but always spend at least a week with a group of friends who only ski on-piste - albeit fairly rapidly.

Would you happily take a 115mm soft tip and tail rockered ski out for that? In preference to any of the other skis listed above?

Rather you than me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serriadh, I know I didn't believe it for a few years, tried last year and had to eat my words with extra chilli sauce.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm more or less the same as you in terms of stats and your requirements sound identical to mine. I was looking for something fatter to replace my Head Monster 82s last season and narrowed it down to Volkl Mantra, Nordica Enforcer and Prophet 98. I went for the 185 Enforcer (2012 with early rise tip) as it's a bit more forgiving than the Mantra, which I reckon would be hard work to get the most out of day after day. I decided I wanted a flat tail, otherwise i'd probably have bought the Prophet.

Agree with never summer on the S3. I did two weeks on it last year and found it great fun in powder but a bit floppy when gunning it on piste and pretty poor in crud. Don't know anything about the other two.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CH2O, 7 days on piste? I don't know.. I have JJ's and while they are fairly skiable on the piste and would carve I wouldn't spend the whole day on piste with them, let alone the whole week. Couple runs here and there maybe. Putting 115 mm skis on edge for hours doesn't amount to enjoyable skiing IMHO:)
snow conditions
Look at something about 100 underfoot, 185/190 long and traditional construction.
ski holidays
Bargain pair of Prophet 100's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261095856183?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
never summer, hehe, you ski a JJ, hopefully without Marker bindings, "ripout" aleart!
ski holidays
CH2O, No, with Pivots, but I weight 115lbs so I probably won't rip out Markers either:)
snow report
never summer, it's the Marker spread Pattern, seen light skiers pull 'em out, something to do with the core being made up of workshop floor sweepings me thinks. We don't mount them anymore, shame to turn the business away, but better thn an earfull of frustration.
snow conditions
never summer wrote:
CH2O, 7 days on piste? I don't know.. I have JJ's and while they are fairly skiable on the piste and would carve I wouldn't spend the whole day on piste with them, let alone the whole week. Couple runs here and there maybe. Putting 115 mm skis on edge for hours doesn't amount to enjoyable skiing IMHO:)

Depends on conditions. I'd put up with that if I spent significant time offpiste too (and could only own one pair of skis). Have to say I don't have any problems skiing 118mm skis on piste/edging them for hours at a time (though obviously not first choice, unless it's slush surfing time!). Maybe it's jsut the little girls' turn radius on your JJs NehNeh
latest report
Turn radius is not important for off-piste. It's not that much different from S7 at 175.
snow conditions
never summer, True, but the core on these Rossi skis is awesome.
snow report
+1 for Mantras
latest report
never summer wrote:
Turn radius is not important for off-piste. It's not that much different from S7 at 175.

Yes it is. Hookyness in pow (probs not with the JJ with their tip/tail taper though), edge grip on steeps, natural turn shapes on firm snow. Don't know the S7 sidecut, guess it's fairly similar though.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 12-09-12 18:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies.

I had set my mind on the Prophets and wanted to see how other SH's viewed them in comparison to the others. So I'm quite pleased with the response.

I might just keep the Punishers as they're excellent on piste for a 90mm ski but if anyone's interested in buying them...
latest report
clarky999, Maybe, but I only take them when there is fresh powder and they are awesome just like S7.
snow report
Skied the Ventures last year for a week in Tignes.

On and Off piste great fun. Still kept the poppy fun nature of the Mission but had a bit more oomph. Enough radius for fun turning on piste, enough float when off-piste.

I'm going to buy a pair as my one ski quiver.

(6ft, 13st, ex-seasonaire now desk bound office monkey)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like the S3. Have them in a 186 (180cm, 72kg) can ski them pretty much everywhere, not found them overly hooky or floppy in powder. As long as you keep them sharp they rail pretty good on piste (last piste ski was a 191 factory GS ski).
snow report
Thanks clarky999 and never summer
Quote:
I would be looking more at the Voelkl Mantra

Quote:
For versatility you may want to look at Mantras

OK, so I've been avoiding the Mantra. I'm scared it will be too much effort. Is it really a "full-on or nothing" ski. All reviews refer to the fact that the Mantra needs to be driven and requires considerable commitment. Are they really too savage to slide around on?

The Mantra - all things considered - seems to be the obvious choice.
I've worked a couple of seasons, like to ski fast and aggressive on piste, much prefer to be off-piste, can't justify the cost of 2 pairs of skis and still enjoy cruising with mates on holiday.

So... Prophet 98 or Mantra?

ski holidays
Guess at this point you have to demo... Seems like the current Mantra is a little more mellow than the old non-rockered version. unde_a_new_name will tell you they're not all that stiff, but he also skis full FIS-spec race skis, so I guess it depends where you're coming from... What have you liked/disliked before? Twintip matter at all to you - do you ski park or switch much?
latest report
Quote:

So... Prophet 98 or Mantra?

Or Enforcer? Surely an obvious contender from the info in your last post?
snow report
Mantras are way too much effort, great for a few runs but too much like hard work for all day skiing... if you want to go volkl go for the gotama much nicer ski for all day riding!

And still stand by Prophet 98, Enforcer is a great ski but good luck finding some in the sales... also its very mantra like... maybe slightly more friendly but not much!
snow report
dansmith wrote:
Mantras are way too much effort, great for a few runs but too much like hard work for all day skiing... if you want to go volkl go for the gotama much nicer ski for all day riding!

And still stand by Prophet 98, Enforcer is a great ski but good luck finding some in the sales... also its very mantra like... maybe slightly more friendly but not much!

Guess it's an opinion thing, but I'd say Mantras are an excellent ski; pretty easy ski to ski everywhere, but also enough of a ski to be rewarding. Gotamas are good too in a different sort of way.

I think the main thing you need to be asking yourself rockered or not. For me this is a huge thing.
IMHO If you are mostly blasting around on piste, and/or need ultimate stability rockered isn't the way to go, but for general hooning, trees, steeps, pow, etc I am now a convert. So much so that I even ski on my 128 underfoot rockered Redeemers out of choice when skiing with my (admittedly quite good and adventurous!) 4 year old snowHead
latest report
stuarth, Definitely going rockered or "early rise" as the prophet 98 is called, or" Venturi-tip rocker" - which the Scott has. The Volkl or Voelkl as Clarky rightly spells it (when did they drop the 'e' - their web address is voelkl.com but everything in it is called Volkl?) is a contender but is £100 more than the others. I'm also thinking of buying a helmet so the £100 is significant.

Do I need a Helmet????? Toofy Grin
snow report
jzBun,

Quote:

when did they drop the 'e' - their web address is voelkl.com

I'ts an umlaut thing. If you put the umlaut in then no 'e', without it you put the 'e' in.

Vólkl or Voelkl

EDIT - only use the correct umlaut, not the accent I put in Embarassed
ski holidays
Völkl Very Happy
ski holidays
oh... and just to confuse your confused mind even more... add the Blizzard Bonafide to the list Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I am surprized no-one mentioned the Whitedot Preacher yet. Yes it is 112 underfoot but it has classic specs (form) - no rocker - and is therefore easy to ski on piste. I also have Armada ARV with 92 underfoot which is a nice ski, but it is not enough for powder. I do not really feel the 112 underfoot when charging on piste on hard pack. Only real Ice is a bit scary, but frankly also my 92mm ARV's didn;t like ice. I also ski with family and kids on piste and I am certainly not a pro off piste. They ski flexible enough to be able to ski short turns as well. I was a bit worried when I bought those preachers but giving the fact I still had the ARV's I thought I could take the chance. After unpacking them I think I only used the ARV's once - running back to the preachers afterwards! On every condition.

I am s 5'10 girl skiing the 179 cm, for you I'd say take the 189.
ski holidays
Prophet 98s for £220 at http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk just bought some for my dad to help him stop falling over off piste! They also have Nordica Soul Riders which are worth a shout.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy