Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

quickest way to progress from intermediate to advanced

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, I was being a little mischievous, but under a new name did put aesthetics first in his list! Toofy Grin

My more important point was to challenge the purpose is of becoming an 'advanced' skier (whatever that means). As a standalone objective, it seems like a very strange aspiration unless you're a bit of a skiing geek. In the real world, people want to do real things things attempting slopes that were previously inaccessible or keeping up with their mates without breaking their neck.

Technique is a means to an end. I don't personally know anyone who regards strong technical skill in any sport as an end in itself.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny Jones wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Jonny Jones, or until your dodgy technique means you break yourself!! Wink
I never suggested that anyone should persist with any bad technique that harms their skiing. But seeking to improve the aesthetic qualities of your skiing as an end in itself is a bizarre proposition. And worrying about technical issues that have no impact on the type of skiing to which you aspire is similarly strange.

And equally no-one suggested the OP should do those things Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny Jones wrote:
My more important point was to challenge the purpose is of becoming an 'advanced' skier (whatever that means). As a standalone objective, it seems like a very strange aspiration unless you're a bit of a skiing geek.
Wasn't that just shorthand for "I want to improve my skiing, and this is about where I am and where I want to get to"? I suppose the OP could have listed his aspirations in terms of what he would like to ski, or even highlight the skills he wanted to improve, but that might have been a bit OTT for a general question asking for ideas about how to improve his skiing.

Jonny Jones wrote:
Technique is a means to an end. I don't personally know anyone who regards strong technical skill in any sport as an end in itself.
I agree, and I don't know anyone like that either. That's not to say that the process of improving isn't a fun thing to do in its own right, but the best thing about getting better is the great stuff it allows you to do that previously you couldn't.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny Jones, I agree with what you are saying but I will never consider myself to be an advanced skier because I never want to stop learning. I will always want to try new things. I will want to have a few lessons each year and maybe a training camp. So I will always be an intermediate skier in my mind. Why should one limit themselves?

Skiing is vanity. However if the pursuit of anything is giving me this much pleasure then its a worthwhile life choice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty easy to get hung up on words like Intermediate or Advanced. We use them, reluctantly, on our ability scale because many skiers are comfortable with the terminology (even if there are many different definitions of the standard represented by those labels), but much better to describe in more detail how you ski, your level of comfort in certain situations, the choices that you make when skiing, etc, etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Buzzfan

you don't write, you don't call.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For those who sent constructive replies, many thanks indeed, v helpful

For those who chose to over-analyse my motive or description, don't worry D Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny Jones, Form follows function.

Perhaps I expressed myself badly, but you can't deny that almost invariably (although not always) good skiers, as with most dynamic sports, look better than poor skiers.

Ergo, the pursuit of better skiing becomes a de facto pursuit of improvement in ones dynamic aesthetics.

Nothing wrong with that.

And, I actually meant that I found it asethetically unpleasant to watch, not that it should be a goal in and of itself.

A great mistake made by many, and not even not recently is to suggest that they can't ski with their legs close enough: demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding of what should and actually is going on.

Or, indeed, "parallel"...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ergo et de facto! Damned intelligent stuff ,this. Non solus sed etiam. QED (non sequitur ).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy