Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
I read on fb that Glencoe are running some lifts for midsummers day skiing Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Front page of one of todays papers, can't remember which one, picture of a guy in a kilt skiing in Scotland, said Nevis but you can't believe everything you read in the papers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, Nevis. The Herald has a report and pics ...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/midsummer-dream.21402102
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not in sunny Shropshire it wasn't, definitely one of the natioanls.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
According to discussion elsewhere, it was The Times:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,157693

[Scottish Snow & Mountain Sports section, 'Nevis Range' thread]
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
H11lly was not the only person skiing on CairnGorm today, others had been down the Ciste Gully earlier and set up another mini slalom course further down. This is the mid-part looking down and despite the 1 large hole at the slight waterfall (nearly always where it goes first) you can still get by that to just below the level of the fenced traverse to the West Wall Poma which means the Ciste Gully is still offering a 1km run. When it breaks into 2 it will be about 800m initially for the main snow field.

^Ciste Gully still giving excellent turns with fast granular spring snow.

I'm hoping for 5 more days of more or less dry, calm and not to warm weather which will hopefully see the Ciste Gully through the end of the month, I really want to bag my first ever July descent of the Ciste Gully! Sorry those of you hoping for a heatwave, can you just hold off another week, ta! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's looking good for your July Ciste descent Winterhighland! Four of us were up there yesterday. Three weeks since our last visit and we were really pleased to see just how much snow there is Smile . The vertical on offer was 220m yesterday - bigger than the Lecht and amazing for the end of June. Lovely soft snow too - so good that we skinned up for three runs.

The run is now broken about 100m before the boardwalk so, as Winterhighland's mentioned, the run is probably around 800m in length. There are some big holes at the top; signs of snow collapse into the burn 50-75 metres down from the start of the run; and the un-nerving loud sound of water rushing just below the snow on the skin back up - but a great time was had by all Very Happy.

Some pics below.

The start of the run:

Level with the bottom of the Ciste Tow - narrowing but complete:

Just before the run opens out:

Nice wider cover:

About half way down:

Just before the end of the road:
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If that lasts for another couple of weeks, I think we can agree that glaciers have returned to Scotland. Toofy Grin

Top effort chaps
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Top marks for effort snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant. Very tempted.

Never skied in July.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow: Winterhighland website (which is currently using one of my pics above on its front page Very Happy ) is suggesting that you'd better be quick due to the next few days' weather forecast - which will accelerate the snow collapse into the river underneath Shocked .

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

From our visits over the past few weeks, the snow is gradually receding at the top and bottom of the gully but, on the weekend just gone, still seemed deep and solid in the middle section of the run, with (seemingly wink??) about 6 to 700 metres of solid cover.

If you do go for it, the quickest route to the snow is up Windy Ridge, which is a well made, rocky footpath. Once the path levels out - with the Ptarmigan restaurant in sight - head diagonally left past the big pile of boulders, towards the Ciste Tow. On Saturday, we got skis on about 100m above the bottom of the Ciste Tow's loading platform. To return from the skiing, traverse/climb the West Wall of the Ciste Gully and head through the heather/bracken, aiming for the top of the Daylodge Tow. From there, you can eventually head left and re-join the Windy Ridge path to descend to the Daylodge - which is easier going than the heather. It was about a 40 min walk from the end of the snow back to the Cas Car Park. Ascents of the remaining snow (on skins/touring kit) took about 25 mins, so would (probably) be longer if you were lugging skis up/walking up the grass.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For all the parkies, Cairngorm FB feed reporting they just had delivered a proper pipe cutter, reckon they should mount it on the train, save a lotta diggin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
For all the parkies, Cairngorm FB feed reporting they just had delivered a proper pipe cutter, reckon they should mount it on the train, save a lotta diggin
They may be able to try it out now in the Ciste Gully Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bagged my first personal July descent of the Ciste Gully today, hopefully not to much damage will be done to the main bulk of the remaining run (currently about 800m as Mountainaddict mentions above) over the unsettled spell mid-week as high pressure looks to be building for Friday into the weekend. Indeed Wednesday even looks better than it did this evening. So perhaps I'll get a chance at a more summer like descent of the Ciste Gully this July than today - at 10am when on our way up the temperature at the Summit was +0.2c !

We got sleeted on at the Tor patch and a walker I met on the way up said there'd been wet snow falling at the top earlier. So the beanies and gloves were out, so not the most summer like photos for a July day in the mountains!

^Helen gets some July turns in the Ciste Gully.

^Spot the skier on the Headwall of Coire Cas. Helen managed 23 steep turns here. (Funicular has new paint job!)

^Looking up the Ciste Gully - the burn from the East Wall's No 1 Gully has had a wee nibble out of the Ciste Gully.

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=920
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/Fs4tvNqJ1XM
snow conditions
Blatantly nicked from Facebook because it's a cool shot...

Chilling out 'under' the Ciste Gully on Wed 17th July!! snowHead
latest report
Saw that on my Facebook feed. Amazing photo. How deep is the snow on the top?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy