Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
www.winterhighland.info is generally the best resource for conditions/reports/news
Scottish Avalanche Information Service - www.sais.gov.uk
Mountain Weather Information Service - www.mwis.org.uk

Glencoe

Snow Report
Piste Map
Webcams

Nevis

Snow Report
Piste Map
Webcams

Glenshee

Snow Report
Piste Map
Webcam

Cairngorm

Webcams
Piste Map

Lecht

Webcam
Piste Map

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 30-08-12 16:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got sleeted on today in Knoydart and Glencoe and the times reported yesterday that Cairngorm and Glencoe were due their first snow of the season... it's that time again!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From Glencoe Facebook...

"Snow has been falling at Ptarmigan restaurant, Cairngorm today ( ie 1100m, 3600ft)".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alans deep bath, to add to first post...

Cairngorm

Webcams
Piste Map

Lecht

Webcam
Piste Map
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, done! Thanks, never did get round to doing that last year. Any plans to head up?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alans deep bath, if the snow, work, Back Corries or Glencoe and a weather window line up I'll be there Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I might be doing ~3months work in Aberdeen this winter so I'm hoping I will be able to get some skiing at Cairngorm in...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More snow about at the moment!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glencoe ski centre's slopes this morning ...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh come on. October turns please.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Taken from MWIS

Frequent rain/snow

Showers of snow on higher areas, and significant risk of the showers merging to give several hours of persistent precipitation, giving blizzards above about 900m. This most likely Cairngorms and Monadhliath.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/eh.php?fdate=121003

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobmcstuff, From Aberdeen Glenshee is a lot easier to get to - and, in my opinion, every bit as good if not better than Cairngorm. The Lecht is also easy to get to but .........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Taken from MWIS

Frequent rain/snow

Showers of snow on higher areas, and significant risk of the showers merging to give several hours of persistent precipitation, giving blizzards above about 900m. This most likely Cairngorms and Monadhliath.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/eh.php?fdate=121003

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Looks like snow is due on the top half of Cairngorm mountains from Tues / Weds onward.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobmcstuff wrote:
I might be doing ~3months work in Aberdeen this winter so I'm hoping I will be able to get some skiing at Cairngorm in...

Aberdeen's a cool place to be (I miss it) - enjoy!

There's something about Scotland - most beautiful place I've ever come across. At the same time it feels like home, and the wildest/most inhospitable place around.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
most inhospitable place around.

...and that's before you've left union street Laughing
snow report
Quote:

From Aberdeen Glenshee is a lot easier to get to - and, in my opinion, every bit as good if not better than Cairngorm. The Lecht is also easy to get to but .........

All three have there advantages and disadvantages. I can get to CairnGorm in ~2hrs, Glenshee ~1.5hrs (via back roads) and The lecht ~1.5hrs. All providing the road conditions are good. I prefer Cairngorm and Glenshee because of the more varied conditions, but don't rule out The Lecht if the snow conditions are good there. Personally I have a CairnGorm season ticket becuase it tends to have better snow for longer, so I can get better use out of the season ticket, but its probably best to head to whichever has the best conditions at the time.
snow conditions
deerman wrote:
bobmcstuff, From Aberdeen Glenshee is a lot easier to get to - and, in my opinion, every bit as good if not better than Cairngorm. The Lecht is also easy to get to but .........

Neither the distance nor time difference between Glenshee and CairnGorm from Aberdeen is as big as is often made out, Glenshee isn't as close to Aberdeen as people seem to think.

I'd say the crux of the decision is more down to prevailing weather/snow conditions and the state of play on the roads - the quickest way to CairnGorm from Aberdeen is using the A944 and A939 over the Lecht Pass. If the conditions are fantastic and the A93 is blocked to the south of Glenshee but open from the North, then for an Aberdeen based skier, these are the best days of all! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mole A Voorey ...

latest report
Very Happy

Ross, you up for a wee hill walk in the next couple of weeks?

Hope to be kayaking this weekend but will be available after that.
snow report
Should be good. Can we make it a pointy one with snow on top on a calm, sunny day ? Laughing
latest report
moffatross, Cool
ski holidays
I've got to make this happen this season, I'm even saving all my club card vouchers to buy hotel rooms!
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
bobmcstuff wrote:

Aberdeen's a cool place to be (I miss it) - enjoy!

There's something about Scotland - most beautiful place I've ever come across. At the same time it feels like home, and the wildest/most inhospitable place around.

Looks like it's going to be longer than 3 months and sooner than I thought now, good (more skiing) and bad I suppose.

Cheers for all the Aberdeen advice anyway! I know plenty of grads up there so should be a decent social life too.

Going to be up next week working in an oil company's office.
latest report
bobmcstuff, Cairngorm & Glenshee are good but make the effort to ski Glencoe & Nevis too. Different shaped mountains in the West and too good to miss if you haven't tried them.

Stay in touch, there're plenty of us about to meet up with. Cool
ski holidays
I hope to be up this year and get a fair amount of skiing done. Will be travelling from Manchester so will share fuel etc.
ski holidays
The approaching season will be the first full season for the new Baddoch Chair at Glenshee, with it available from the off this year we may well see the Cairnwell side of the mountain get up and running earlier than might otherwise have been the case.

In terms of developments for the new season this summer the most noteworthy is the first onsite accommodation at a Scottish Snowsports Area, in the form of microlodges (aka hobbit houses) at Glencoe:

Will look even better when there's snow on the ground. There's currently 6 of them and they opened to the public in July, but it's hoped to increase the number to 10 before the season works. All ground works and electrics is ready for the next four to be delivered. They can sleep up to four and if you fill them thats a bed for just £12.50 at the standard price. There is a double sleeping platform at the back and two singles in the middle which double up as seating areas.

There's electricity in them and an electric heater. I slept in one prior to the power going in on what turned out to be a frosty June night and even without the heater it was cosy enough, very well insulated! There are also showers and drying rooms on site now, plus 10 camper van hookups and for the brave or those with very good sleeping bags a small campsite!

The Cafe now serves food from 8.30am till 8.30pm, with the bar open till 10.30pm if demand. Which is great news not just for people staying on site, but it means you can grab some refreshments or even dinner before hitting the road.

On CairnGorm Mountain the elephants must have changed their migration route from the White Lady judging by the new fence on the Traverse, don't crash into it because there is absolutely no doubt the fence will win! Skullie Weather permitting it's hoped to change some more key fencing from the traditional chestnut paling which is very porous to structural fencing with horizontal rails giving a 50% porosity (there's good scientific reasons for this as well as creating vastly more robust fencelines). Not of immediate benefit to snowsports visitors, but very welcome none the less is that there is the first signs of progress in Coire na Ciste. The Highland Council, National Park and relevant statuary bodies provided a scoping decision on CML's proposals for redeveloping the Ciste to guide the full planning application. In the meantime there's been the very first bits of activity on refurbishing the Coire na Ciste Chairlift, with sheave assemblies lowered from the pylons for servicing and where required bearing and liner replacements.
snow conditions
Winterhighland, I used the new Baddoch lift at Glenshee a few times last season. I'm about 6' tall, and I found I could not sit with my feet on the footrest while the safety bar was closed. I wonder who specified the sizing - or was it bought second hand from some children's ski area ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross wrote:
bobmcstuff, Cairngorm & Glenshee are good but make the effort to ski Glencoe & Nevis too. Different shaped mountains in the West and too good to miss if you haven't tried them.

Stay in touch, there're plenty of us about to meet up with. Cool

Looks like I'm going to be working 5 weeks in 8 up there starting mid-November, so will get my skis sent up ASAP Neh Neh

40% payrise too...
snow report
deerman the "new" Baddoch chair was actually destined for Glencoe many many years ago if my memory is right

back then i think Glencoe was owned and operated by the Glenshee chairlift company and they bought the chair second hand with a view to putting it up at Glencoe (dont know where, maybe main basin). But with Glencoe struggling the chair was either gifted or sold (internal money movement) to Glenshee....it then sat in the corner of the car park near the ticket office for a few seasons untill the funds became available to put it up
ski holidays
Northern Light from Glencoe Ski Centre last night!!!

http://www.facebook.com/GlencoeMountain
snow report

Month 36? snowHead
ski holidays
ski holidays
White Lady, Cairngorm - 15th October 2012 Very Happy

snow report
Ski turns were made in fresh snow on Cairngorm today ... http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,3068 Cool
snow conditions
Nice to see the 2012/13 thread up and running, let's hope there's plenty to talk about this season!

Looking nice and white at Cairngorm today, I can feel winter definitely coming on Very Happy
latest report
I can feel Vodafone losing a mobile data contract soon... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Laid my first tracks on CairnGorm Mountain for the 2012/13 season... Got beaten to it by Helen on Monday, but a few more snow showers, a bit of drifting, walkers and quad bikes since then helped! Managed to squeeze in 110 turns down part of the Marquis Well and a combat ski of the Ptarmigan Traverse mainly in the narrow confines of the footpath!

Snow falling steadily on the walk up from Daylodge level. Heavy sleet in Aviemore as this is typed, so should be more snow going down up top.

More Pix (including some of the new fencing works on the mountain): http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=812
snow conditions
Winterhighland: Can you tell me where Marquis Well is exactly? (Or even vaguely Puzzled )

I'm familiar with the summit area, the descents from it - over the back - in all directions, the Ciste Mhearaidh (is that how you spell it) etc but never know where Marquis Well is!

I'm aware that it holds snow...so am really curious to know wink. I've probably skied it without knowing it!

Cheers.
latest report
Nice one Winterhighland Very Happy

mountainaddict, you might already know this but I believe it's the area above the spot where the Ptarmigan T-Bar terminates but I'm not sure what the extent of said area is. Alan does it extend up to the summit or is smaller/shorter than that or an amorphous designation for the area between the summit and the tow? I know they actually had planning permission to extend tows into that area in the 70s but sadly never did, I think permission has now run out so little chance they'll do it now unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your POV!).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy