Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
mountainaddict wrote:
Bad news James the Last - and perhaps Cairngorm have been a little hasty with their decision..... rolling eyes

Nope, this was forecast to happen and I'm sure they'll have known, can't imagine they'll reopen even though I'm hoping.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ptarmigan viewing terrace this morning:

Bang the drum on Facebook, you never know! Should be more tonight according to the NMM.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hoof and skin from the Ciste Carpark to the top today:

^Ptarmigan Tow and Bowl from the foot of the T-bar.

^Heading up the Ciste Gully, at the No 1 Gully marge.

^Outside the Top Station - but you have to walk now, despite a complete route to the middle via the White Lady!

More Pix and Photos: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=913
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good stuff, as ever, Winterhighland.

This morning's webcams and bluebird conditions make really harrowing viewing. I cannot for the life of me understand why Mad :

- They decided so early in the week to close for the season.
- Irrespective of (allegedly) broken uplift tracks, they couldn't allow skiing off the train this weekend.

We couldn't get up last night for ski touring today but will be there tomorrow and possibly Monday (depending on the weather). Report and pics will follow.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, My guess would be demand. At some point it costs more to facilitate the skiing then it brings in. Even with just running the train ;(
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ronald wrote:
mountainaddict, My guess would be demand. At some point it costs more to facilitate the skiing then it brings in. Even with just running the train ;(

But don't they run the train anyway for non-skiing visitors?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They do, but they'd need to have ski patrol on standby, run a piste basher etc when they facilitate skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some of the Ski Patrol are full time year round employees. There is massively more snow on the mountain this weekend than at the end of the past 2 seasons. I can not recall CairnGorm closing with the White Lady still complete! This is a ski area that could have been open, was expected to be open, have the staff and resources in place to still be open and frankly should have been open. That said it's the disingenuous manor this has been handled that particularly grates.

Perhaps lifts turning in the last weekend of May for 3 out 4 years would be 'off message' with the 'two swallows don't make a summer' type guff that spilled forth from what supposedly constitues the marketing department! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Should add also that having skiing officially on offer means an open system at the top, so sightseers can go out of the Top Station, families can get out and play in the snow. Merely by having snowsports, the resultant open system helps get more people up the Funicular.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A great day touring yesterday - little wind, cloud above tops & sunny spells. To echo Winterhighland, the Ptarmigan Bowl has a lot more snow than the end of previous seasons & the Ptarmigan uptrack is complete. All quite frustrating really...

The Traverse has been ploughed top to bottom - not quite sure why- so has gone from about 15 feet of snow to about 2 inches in the past few days, and is no longer skiable. Ditto the run from the Ptarmigan to the Traverse - pity as the Gunbarrel is still in great nick.

Pick of the runs was Ciste Gully, as ever, & down to the waterfall in Ciste Mhearaidh.

Monday am, 27th May and we are currently sitting in the Cas car park. Conditions are the wildest we've ever seen at this level - wind gusting to barely able to walk levels & horizontal rain. As it's a Monday - & to save a run up here next weekend - the plan was to continue our (home & abroad) run of skiing in every week but one since 24th Dec. We can't contemplate battling too far up the hill in this weather - so are going to brave a few turns on a snow patch near the carpark wink...God knows where the groups from Glenmore Lodge etc that we've seen are hiking to in this weather - it's really not a good day to be out in the mountains.....

Update (27 May at 22.00): Well, the weather window never came - the wind worsened, the rain was incessant.....so, after cups of tea in the car and a 2 hour wait, we decided to go for it anyway. In the end, we skied a snow patch near the foot of the Fiacaill Tow: Bigger than it looked from a distance; about 50m in length; 10m vertical; and nice granular snow. We confess that we are very easily pleased - but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Twelve runs in all and mission accomplished Smile. Some photos of a cracking weekend are below:

Gunbarrel:

Snow depth on (ploughed) Traverse:

Ptarmigan Building; 'They tried to access the snow but they said no, no, no...'

Into Ciste Mhearaidh:

Just above the waterfall:

Foot of the ptarmigan Tow: Clearly insufficient snow for snowsports....as evidenced by the buried fences:

Ciste Gully: We could be skiing for weeks yet....

Skiable snow patch - viewed from Cas car park:

The snow patch: Driving rain, gale force wind....great fun:

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 27-05-13 23:33; edited 8 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, I wonder why they would plough the snow like you said in the traverse? Maybe Winterhighland, could elaborate?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To allow wheeled vehicles to have access to the upper mountain ?

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How was the season overall in Scotland this year? Were there a lot of skier days?
Sounds like it from reading this thread.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
emwmarine
Quote:
How was the season overall in Scotland this year?
Very good - if not exceptional (Though I met a bloke at Cairngorm yesterday (hiking not skiing) who'd tried it once but it wasn't for him: Too windy, too foggy - and too many beginners careering about in front of him. Says he's just gonna stick to Switzerland in future....His loss eh?)

Quote:
Were there a lot of skier days?
I think I read that Cairngorm ended up at about 116,000 - don't know about the other areas though...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
they plough the traverse like that every year - access for works vehicles as suggested (fencing material up for summer maintenance, ski paraphanelia down etc) - they are stunningly efficient at getting it done sadly. Cant think when I saw it deeper - gap jump anyone? Toofy Grin
snow report
Must be 4 metres deep???
snow report
Quote:
Gap jump anyone?
No doubt some might fancy it - but, from the Headwall, you would currently be landing on the boulder field to (descending) skier's right of the traverse..... Shocked Skullie

Quote:
Must be 4 metres deep???
A lot more than that in places - 5 or 6 metres I reckon. Amazing to think we were skiing so much higher than ground level only a week before!

Quote:
access for works vehicles as suggested (fencing material up for summer maintenance
And here's evidence of the summer fencing - seems they have decided that horizontal slats are the way forward after this season's success.

The effectiveness of horizontal slats:
ski holidays
Regarding the Traverse I was hoping all that snow was going to end up on the White Lady! snowHead The principle reason for digging out now and not using skidoos and piste bashers from the 105 up for a good while yet was to start the guided mountain biking this weekend. A fraction of that effort would allow the Ptarmigan Tow to spin for the Bowl from the top of the steep pitch this weekend for lift served June riding, alas it's not going to happen. Crying or Very sad

Which is a real shame because A) me and H11lly will have to walk up! B) Twice in three years skiing off lifts in June would be significantly noteworthy.
latest report
Quote:
A fraction of that effort would allow the Ptarmigan Tow to spin for the Bowl from the top of the steep pitch this weekend for lift served June riding
Agreed Winterhighland. Given the huge volumes of snow involved, and the length of The Traverse, the amount of work to clear it was indeed absolutely staggering.

As a keen mountain biker, I do think that the Cairngorm biking thing is a bit of a funny one. Good luck to them with visitor/revenue generation etc but, scenic as it may be, a guided descent on wide tracks isn't the sort of thing that would generally appeal to regular MTB riders. IIRC, it's expensive too. I wonder how many people take it up? What is really needed (here we go....rolling eyes) on the mountain biking front, is some form of bike-friendly uplift in the Ciste and some man made/reinforced single track descents over there....A chairlift would be ideal for the purpose. However, unless I've missed something, it's all gone a bit quiet on that score....(Has there been any progress at all with the Save the Ciste campaign/petition?)

Back on the skiing: The other irksome aspect (still! Mad ) is the reasons given for the end of the season:
- Walking would be required to reach the snow from the Ptarmigan Building (as it was the previous weekend, when they even had a sign up saying 'Walking required').
- (Words to the effect of) thin or broken snow cover at the foot of the Ptarmigan Tow rendered it inoperable. (It didn't look that way last weekend - they must've been banking on no-one skinning/walking up to check it out....)

We're not up this weekend but (weather permitting) could well be seeking out some skiable snow the weekend after Smile. That would continue our run and (after skiing on the Whit Bank Hol last Monday) mean at least one day's skiing (outdoors on snow) in 23 out of the 24 weeks since week commencing 24 Dec 2012 wink....Must admit, it's got a bit addictive Laughing! Just a shame we missed a day in week commencing 7 January - before the bumper North Pennines and Scotland seasons really kicked in and when our run was in its infancy.
snow conditions
Looks like they've dug the traverse out for MTBing judging by facebook

ski holidays
Absolute joke that they don't offer skiing when conditions are still looking like that.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, too few punters willing or about, always the same this time of year. cant really blame them too much, plus remember they had to shut before the road got ploughed

^ bet they turned the bikes uphill just for the pics Very Happy
snow report
barry wrote:
^ bet they turned the bikes uphill just for the pics Very Happy

The wind would have blown them uphill anyway. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:
plus remember they had to shut before the road got ploughed

Not necessarily, the Traverse has been dug out on occasion before the season ends depending on snow lie elsewhere. For what it's worth, I doubt the sudden end to the ski season had much to do with numbers, skiable cover or lack off, nor for that matter weather.

Anyway back to the snow, just over 26 hours to Meteorological Summer:

snow report
Meanwhile in the West....from Glencoe

We have a Midsummer ski planned for Saturday the 22nd June. Weather permitting we plan to run the cliffy for a short period in the morning to make the hike to the snow a little easier. More details to follow nearer the time.

The Main Basin, Spring Run and the Flypaper still have a good cover of snow at the moment and we expect there still to be some good sized patches on midsummer day

snow report
It had looked as if the weather was in the mood for the first day of Summer, when looking up the Ciste Gully from the carpark in the morning, but as the Sun got to work, the convection got going and there were even a couple of snow showers on the tops!! Snow was a bit sticky and slow at the top, but from the Ciste Bowl down it quickly got faster with good granular spring snow riding in the Ciste Gully and on the White Lady. Month 44 in a row on CairnGorm ticked off. snowHead

If you're really keen to bag a June ski and don't want to do a lot of hiking, get yourself up in the next day or so and walk up to the top of the Zig Zags and ski the Cas Gunbarrel - just watch out for the burn! snowHead

^Ciste Gully from below, still complete to level with the boardwalks and still loaded. 2km run or there abouts from the Marquis well, with a brief grass ski in the Ciste Bowl!

^Hiking up the Traverse on route to the Ptarmigan Restaurant for an early lunch!

^Ciste Gully opening up and dropping away. Much faster snow than the last day, great granular spring snow and fair to say the Ciste Gully was still in fantastic shape.

^The White Lady's not done yet... Good granular spring snow, didnt ski the top section by the tunnel as cut over from Ciste. Broken where the elephant fence was, wide in the middle, narrow and thin towards the bottom in places.

Full Report & More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=914
snow conditions
I'll be over at cairngorm this weekend for some xc ski racing, which on Sunday is up the hill from Glenmore to the Cas Carpark. Do I put some telekit in and hike up for a run down the ciste gulley on snow, or will I be too knackered after the racing?
ski holidays
Quote:
Do I put some telekit in and hike up for a run down the ciste gulley on snow
Yes!
Quote:
Will I be too knackered after the racing?
Yes - but it'll be worth it Cool!! Looking at Winterhighland's pics from yesterday (on www.Winterhighland - of course) the snow hasn't receded much since our Ciste Gully run two weeks ago - so I'll be there on Sunday, with Mrs MA, Bergmesister and Mrs B.

Should be good - and Mrs B is making her touring/skiing comeback after being choppered out of the Stubai Valley in Austria with a knee injury a few months back (I've warned her that there will be no such cushy uplift on this occasion Toofy Grin.....)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A couple of photos from Thursday 6th June in the Ciste Gully, CairnGorm. Great quick granular spring snow:

^H11lly lays out some summer turns in the Ciste Gully.

^Boarder in the Ciste Gully, still loaded and complete to within a few yards of the boardwalk.

Full Report and More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=915

Meanwhile, elsewhere on CairnGorm Mountain.....

http://youtube.com/v/02xGhf21t1M
snow report
Ciste Gully at Sunset after 10pm on Wednesday 5th June:

Summer evening ski from Grant Scott
http://vimeo.com/67800816
snow conditions
Cairngorm was excellent yesterday (Sun 9th June):

- Since our last visit on Whit Bank Hol Monday, with the exception of the Ciste Gully, the snow cover is (unsurprisingly) drastically reduced. On that occasion, and with a couple of walks in The Cas, it was skinnable to the top of the Ptarmigan Tow from the bottom of the Gunbarrel. Now it's a case of a lot more walking than skinning.
- We walked/skinned up the Cas/White Lady. With a fair bit of skinnable/skiable snow still on offer on The Lady it was a lot easier than walking up with skis on packs. The snow is still four or five feet deep in places.
- The remainder of the terrain park provided a fair (if flattish) run down the Ptarmigan Bowl.
- There was a good sized patch of skiable snow between the foot of the Ptarmigan Tow and the top of the Ciste Tow.
- The Ciste Gully was fantastic - lovely granular/spring snow, full width and still complete to the boardwalk. About 1000 ft vertical available and, I'm guessing, about a half to three quarters of a mile of run. Amazing for the time of year and so good we skinned back up to do it again. Up and over via the Daylodge Run to get back to the Cas Car Park - a bit tiring after all the walking/skinning but not too bad as the peat has now dried out a lot.

Will try and get round to posting some pics tonight.
snow report
^ lot of humpin about for the marked pistes, why not a wee tootle yonder beyond? maybe a bit more patch linking, but in this weather just being up there on the high plateau proper is magic. southerly-ish slopes off the back of cairngorm and the northern corries alone would be worth the extra shlep, plenty of gnarly stuff to be had too (gullys into Loch A'on basin basically) but not at all necessary to have a nice day out with good skiing, back into ski area for a long run home down ciste gulley.

Summertime at its best! Bring a picnic
snow report
Amazing that Scotland is still offering 1000ft vertical in mid June!
snow report
Quote:
lot of humpin about for the marked pistes, why not a wee tootle yonder beyond?
Mainly because one our party was making her comeback after a (skiing) knee injury at easter - but also because going further would also involve....a lot of humping about! The four of us who were there have all been over the back a fair few times before - inc. Ciste Mhearaid a fortnight ago (it was excellent) - but stuck to 'the pistes' for the reasons above on this occasion. Anyway, when you are the only four people in the Ciste Gully, it doesn't feel like you are on the piste - it's virtually a wilderness experience.

Quote:
Amazing that Scotland is still offering 1000ft vertical in mid June!
Yes - amazing is the word! The Ciste Gully just has to be skied to be believed at the moment Very Happy. If the Ciste Chairs were operational they could be still open for skiing now!

Anyway, here are a few pics, as mentioned in my previous post:

Skinning up the main White lady snow patch:

Impressive depth for June:

Ptarmigan Bowl:

Entry to the Ciste Gully - narrowing but still complete well above the foot of the Ciste Tow:

Wide at the top of the gully:

Full width and full cover in the main gully:

Lovely snow all the way to the Boardwalk:

Last turn of the season?
latest report
I put my skis, skins and poles in the car. Spot what I forgot - yes in a senior moment i forgot the boots. Still it was a fine day for the race, but i'm sure the road up to the cas car park gets longer and steeper every year. At least it seems to take me longer every year. Took me nearly 36 minutes this year. Winning time was 19 mins 47 secs, which means an average spped of >15kph uphill!
snow conditions
Fabulous final pic.
latest report
Dave Horsley Bad news re. the boots rolling eyes - but there's always next weekend! What's the race distance/start point? The road is steep enough in the car (!!) - I wouldn't dare guess how long it might take me on foot/skis...... Confused

Cheers Mike Pow - the pic is of me and was taken by Bergmeister. I have to say, it's up there in my favourite ski photos of all time - I'm really pleased with it Very Happy .
snow conditions
Summer might me nibbling away at the Ciste Gully from the top and bottom, but she's not quite ready to go quietly off into the Summer Solstice sunset. Still nudging above the 1km mark and the first hole you come across is below where the run runout on mid-summer's weekend in 2010, it's easily passable and it widens out again to the fenced traverse just a short distance above the boardwalk.

Yup, the Ciste Gully is still rocking, the snow today was excellent, perfect crunchy fast true spring snow - justified a couple of laps. Who'd have thought in 2010 that we'd see the Ciste Gully skiable into June within 3 years again, let alone actually in better shape than the same date in 2010! Shame there wasn't a rope tow in the Ptarmigan Bowl like 21st June 2010, because Funicular assisted would have allowed 7 laps for the same amount of effort climbing!

^Heading into the Ciste Gully early evening on Friday 21st June.

^Looking down the Gully from below the No 1 East Wall Gully.

^Skiers setting off on the hoof back up for another lap.

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=918

Was that my last turns in the Ciste Gully for the 2013 season... Hopefully the forecast showers/rain don't do too much damage because things look like settling down nicely by Tuesday again. Wimbledon starts Monday though, ski the Ciste Gully in the morning and take in Wimbledon in the afternoon! Cool
snow report
Glenshee Ski Centre post on Facebook about remaining snow conditions yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=386616534775874&set=a.322973064473555.64645.320783881359140&type=1&ref=nf

Quote "Glas Maol Black open but broken with a steep finish. Glas Maol Red open wide as a wee radge fi the gorbals. Broken at the end. Snow fantastic firm but soft to the touch. No moguls, nae queues, nae midges today."
"Cafe open, best lentil soup I've had in ages, Cafe Babes looking great." Shocked (that's my shock comment by the way Laughing )

I like one of the comments: "I've had too much Bucky I must be hallucinating." Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Does anyone know what the s ow depth will be in the Ciste Gully at the moment. Also why is there still do much snow this late in the year? Does it require a certain type of winter storm coming from a certain direction to push snow where it normally wouldn't do?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy