Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SportsLegs Pills - anybody tried them?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
TheGeneralist wrote:
Fifespud wrote:

20k vert over 720k horizontal would be more like 3% anyway - no?

Not unless you could find some paved roads at an altitude 2.5 times higher than Everest. Assuming you can't then every now and again you're going to need to cycle down some hills in order to find some more to cycle up.. So I assume that in fact half of the time you'll be cycling down hills. Which means you've only got 360km horizontal to accrue that height gain (and 360 more to lose it). So the average gradient is around 6%*

Fifespud wrote:
Tourmalet is c7.5% over 18k.

Yup, which was why I was sceptical that you could find a long route anywhere sensible that gets even remotely close to that.

Fifespud wrote:
Have you done it perchance?

Nope, the only slightly difficult cycling I've done is the Fred Whitton. That's about 180km or so with 3950m of ascent over pretty much every significant pass in the lake district. Huge amounts of climbing up loads of passes with gradients up to 30% and yet the full route only averages about 4.4% average; which is why I was sceptical about your claim.

But it still sounds like a fat ride, so good luck with it.

* obviously the 'vector' gradient is zero since you effectively end up at the same altitude as you started, but the 'scalar' gradient is 6%. As in calculate it using the total height distance rather than height displacement.

Good points well made. The only other point on gradient is that the vertical distance quoted on these routes is actually the road distance - the hypotenuse if you like. The actual vert distance will be less hence the gradient steeper.

Bit of a pity that because that 3% figure I'd quoted was really quite uplifting.

I didn't actually start this thread to boast about cycling achievements - merely to find out if anyone had tried SportsLegs. I just get irked when someone suggested I needed to climb more hills. I've spent the last 4 months trundling up the steepest hills in Scotland - I couldn't actually fit in anymore without being divorced or sacked.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fifespud wrote:
I didn't actually start this thread to boast about cycling achievements - merely to find out if anyone had tried SportsLegs. I just get irked when someone suggested I needed to climb more hills. I've spent the last 4 months trundling up the steepest hills in Scotland - I couldn't actually fit in anymore without being divorced or sacked.

At least some of the suggestions were that being able to climb hils on a bike isn't all that important for alpine skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FWIW just back from the completed coast to coast. 440 miles 12,200m vert.

One of the best weeks of my life. Could not believe how beautiful the Pyrenees are. Most of the villages we went through, bar 1 or 2 (La Mongie - yuck) were picture postcard gorgeous.

Definitely want to return on skis one day soon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
probably similar to Xendurance pills - took these for a week or so before doing an Ironman race this year - definitely worked for me ( but that's not scientific evidence)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy