Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss no longer offer free ski carriage?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx

New rule for tickets booked from 1 June onwards? No entirely sure as it is written in a way which seems to disguise meaning as best as they can.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still free I think:

Sports equipment Definition
Golf Equipment* 1 golf bag containing 1 set  of golf clubs, golf balls and tees, 1 pair of golf shoes
Ski Equipment ** 1 pair of ski, 1 pair of poles, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag), 1 helmet
Snowboard Equipment 1 snowboard, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag, 1 helmet

**On flights operated by SWISS, the 1st pair of ski/winter sport equipment is always free of charge
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*crosses SwissAir off my list for ski-flights now* ............. total 200Euros for 2 sets of skis on a return pair of flights............ obviously Swiss Air are downsizing. Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonm, Free in its own bag in addition to your normal allowance, or free as part of your normal luggage allowance (one bag up to 23kg)?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Exactly the same policy as KLM/air France. Quite simple get a large ski bag fill it up to 23kg then put the rest up to 8kg in your hand luggage. If you cannot manage a week on a combined 31kg, then dump some of the clutter. OK it is a change in policy, but entirely reasonable IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was this vague last year. Check-in staff didn't even bat an eyelid when I turned up with skis and boots. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice. Even if you have to pay carriage, you have still got a superior airline to most.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and you get a chocolate!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kel wrote:
Exactly the same policy as KLM/air France. Quite simple get a large ski bag fill it up to 23kg then put the rest up to 8kg in your hand luggage. If you cannot manage a week on a combined 31kg, then dump some of the clutter. OK it is a change in policy, but entirely reasonable IMO.
It might be reasonable, but if it is a change I'll go back to using BA (or, drive more often). I switched to Swiss because they offered free ski carriage. If that's off the menu there's no point for me in using them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bah!

TallTone, it wasn't that vague before - it was really clear that skis were carried free on top of your checked baggage allowance

jonm, I think you are right though. When you open up the Sports Item Category Normal list there is ** next to skis and the footnote says
**On flights operated by SWISS, the 1st pair of ski/winter sport equipment is always free of charge

hidden away but there nevertheless.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx

New rule for tickets booked from 1 June onwards? No entirely sure as it is written in a way which seems to disguise meaning as best as they can.

I assume you're booked to GVA on monday with Swiss, perhaps you can tell us what the policy is when you've flown? or did you book so far in advance...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett, these are for October's trip. Booked next weeks' flights s a little while ago, before the policy change.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect this actually isn't a change... One of my colleagues actually called Swiss last year and asked what their policy was on skis - he was told you could take up to 23kg on an economy ticket in total foc, that was all bags including a single 'oversize' (ski) bag per ticket if you wanted.

However in practice I've checked in a circa 20kg bag plus a pair of skis without any trouble time after time on Swiss over the last few years, I suspect the same will apply again, they're just doing what they did last year and covering themselves in case every single person on the flight turns up and wants to check in a pair of skis and a heavy bag.

Having said that if they do stop carrying skis foc I'll start looking elsewhere for flights again - the last few years I've booked Swiss without even thinking about it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd seen this change earlier this month so I called them for clarification and pointed out these concerns :-

Quote:
For tickets issued on/after 01 June 2012, the concept of transporting sports equipment has been simplified.

Your checked sports equipment is free of charge if within your free baggage allowance. If your free baggage allowance is exceeded by either the weight per piece or amount of pieces, following special sports charges apply:

They referred me to these on the same page http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx :-

Quote:

This is exactly what jonm referred to on the 2nd posting in this thread. The 'new' rules have not changed their position to ski gear, it's just a little less 'in your face'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agreed - I printed it off separately in April just in case as back then it was still a bit hidden from the main page but nonetheless still free.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So what is the plan, would you cram everything including skis into one bag or take a separate ski bag???? confused....
snow report
skimottaret, separate ski bag and separate boot bag, as usual
ski holidays
going on swiss with skis on monday so will give it a go... I always bring boots on as carry on and it is the 8kg one that is more a concern
latest report
FraserP wrote:
I'd seen this change earlier this month so I called them for clarification and pointed out these concerns :-

Quote:
For tickets issued on/after 01 June 2012, the concept of transporting sports equipment has been simplified.

Your checked sports equipment is free of charge if within your free baggage allowance. If your free baggage allowance is exceeded by either the weight per piece or amount of pieces, following special sports charges apply:

They referred me to these on the same page http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx:-

Quote:

This is exactly what jonm referred to on the 2nd posting in this thread. The 'new' rules have not changed their position to ski gear, it's just a little less 'in your face'.

That link now results in 'Bad request'. As I see it Swiss has now become like BA. Pity. I enjoyed flying with them to the EOSB. However, it did strile me that their deal was too good to be true. It would seem it now is.
ski holidays
achilles, try http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx
ski holidays
skimottaret, that gives me

Quote:
Charges for category “Normal”
Within Europe CHF 60 ....

Sports items category "Normal"
Ski Equipment ** 1 pair of ski, 1 pair of poles, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag), 1 helmet
Snowboard Equipment 1 snowboard, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag, 1 helmet

So, as I see it, the charges are now there.
ski holidays
achilles, see my post earlier. Expand the "Normal" box and you'll see the phrase **On flights operated by SWISS, the 1st pair of ski/winter sport equipment is always free of charge
latest report
holidayloverxx, aha! I have eyes but I do not see - thanks, will look at flying with them again. Very Happy
snow report
Curious that the hide a major selling point, for winter sports travellers at least, in the middle of a page in a box which needs a separate button push to reveal it, and even then it's less than clear given what else is written on the page. If I was Swiss I'd want it written in bold letters at the top, with no ambiguity.
ski holidays
rob@rar, agreed
latest report
I'm wondering can you put all your gear in one big rolling ski bag? Save on hassle of second bag.
latest report
They certainly don't make it obvious, even after you have booked online I received a set of documents that gave the baggage lmits which made no mention of free ski carriage. I sent an eMail to their customer services and they confirmed that the skis, poles, boots and helmet are all free of charge even if in separate bags.

They did ask me to confrim my flight details so that they could reserve space for my skkis each way so there may be lmited space for them??????
ski holidays
I'm flying tomorrow, will report back.
snow report
Peter Ross wrote:
I'm wondering can you put all your gear in one big rolling ski bag? Save on hassle of second bag.

Flew swiss LHR to GVA on earlier in december, all kit in one bag, incl, skis/poles/helmet etc. T's & c's say no bag with sports equipment more than 32kg and I weighed in at 28kg, so I was fine

Outbound from LHR - 'ski equpiment' - no problem.
@ GVA the jobsworth check in-guy said 'not permitted' you have to pay 150 CHF. I argued the toss hard but got no where,
so I went to pay, and was told 'check in guy was wrong' it's only 70 euros.

so much for being the 'skier's favorite airline'

I'll let you know if I get anywhere with the complaint letter
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flew from LHR to GVA a few weeks ago (flight booked after the rule change).

Checked in luggage was about 22kg, my skis (along with a load of clothes etc) and boots in separate bags which they didn't even want on the scales. In total must have been a good 45kg of luggage!
latest report
I'm flying LHR to GVA with Swiss in In Jan/Feb next year.

I've just checked the website - it's stated as free on the front page and on the sports equipment page:

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/Pages/index.aspx?Country=GB

"Ski equipment travels free"

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx#ski

"Free transport of ski and snowboard equipment - On flights operated by SWISS, the 1st pair of ski/winter sport equipment is always free of charge."

So it seems pretty obvious from that.

I'm puzzled why a check-in guy wouldn't know that - unless he wasn't a Swiss employee?

I'll print off those pages, just in case though!

Rich
latest report
I flew with Swiss 2 weeks ago. We took luggage took boot bags along with our luggage. All within the weight range and no additional charges.
snow report
Jumpin Jack, spot on its still free on SwissJust watch out for code share flights, this is a list of their code share partners, http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/about_swiss/partners_alliances/codeshare_partners/Pages/codeshare_partner.aspx
snow report
Oh there's this as well
http://www.swiss.com/countries/GB/local_content/Pages/swiss_skiers_airline.aspx
snow report
Jumpin Jack, on the check in agent it's depending on airport, your right they may not be a Swiss employee, depends on which Airport they may have been a Lufthansa group one or someone like Servisair, who provide check in services for a number of airlines.
latest report
I flew with Swiss from GVA in October. Check-in agent initially wanted to charge me excess luggage for my ski bag, but I told him that skis were carried free of charge so he poked around in his computer a bit more and confirmed I was correct. If I fly with Swiss I take a regular holdall and a separate ski bag, but if I fly with BA I use a wheely coffin bag with everything in it and hope they don't pay too much attention to the scales.
latest report
Got my bags on no problem, didn't weigh my ski bags but chap at desk didn't really know the rules and had to ask supervisor.
ski holidays
I do the same as rob@rar. I got a bit worried this year as I weighed my bag at over 23kg at home but the Heathrow scales said 20kg!! Coming back the Geneva scales said 24kg but they made no comment. I'm thinking of making sure next month by taking one boot in my hand baggage but I'm not sure I could get my helmet in as well. Has anyone had a problem carrying a helmet outside their hand baggage( i.e. strapped to a rucksack)?
latest report
welshskier, I strap my helmet to my rucksack and tuck the helmet under my arm in a covert kind of way, quick flash to the check-in staff and they are none the wiser. Once you are past check-in they never say anything.
snow conditions
welshskier, Your ski and snowboard equipment travels for free, the bit below is taken from their web site, your boots arent part of your baggage allowance unless you are taking more than one pair

SWISS has the experience and know-how of transporting your ski and snowboard equipment. Being the skiers airline of choice we are happy to transport your first set of skis/snowboard and boots free of charge in addition to your standard free baggage allowance. Your standard free baggage allowance per person is 1 piece of max. 23kg in Economy Class and 2 pieces of max. 32kg in Business Class.

Free transport is provided for the following items:
One pair of skis, one pair of ski poles and one pair of boots
One snowboard and one pair of snowboard boots

LikeBoosterfaceman, I too strap my helmet to my rucksack, don't have a problem
latest report
welshskier, I am assuming that your are travelling with Swiss, if its with BA then rob@rar, has it sussed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy