Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st skiing : holiday 5* hotel full board in pampovaro OR 2 star Self Catering in Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
As above really, what would you guys do for a first time skiing holidayt for a beginner : 5* hotel full board all in , in pampovaro, Bulgaria OR 2 star Self Catering in Val Thorens ?

Many thanks in advance for your replies Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
reeksi, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Interesting question. Before answering, when are you thinking of going?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally, neither. But maybe that's just me. Bulgaria doesn't appeal to me and a cheap self catering apartment will probably be less comfortable than a caravan.

But hey, it's your first trip, if it's snow you want, VT is the answer.

Plenty of other options out there too, don't limit your choices.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also more or less impossible to answer. Without a shadow of doubt answer for me would be SC VT but then I'm not a never ever and potentially have a much different attitude toward "luxury" than you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia wrote:
Personally, neither.
Yep, me too. Would prefer a Gasthof in a picturesque Austrian village any day. Your first ski trip needs a bit of gemutlicheit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking at going around the 2nd of Feburary Dont really want to spend over £800 and want to do one of the ski plus holidays Crystal ski offer with everything bundled in Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
reeksi, Welcome to snowHead 's. Go to Austria as you are having an introduction to sliding! Bulgaria is cheap, but you pay for what you get!! VT would be better putting off until you have taken to the sliding!!! Austria has everything that a 1st timer can dream of!!

Enjoy! But beware about not spending a few quid! Unless it is left to the last minute, cheapness usually equals rough!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think VT would be a bit intimidating for a beginner, also you're paying more for the massive 3V ski area which you'll barely take advantage of, if you're set on going to the 3V Courchevel would probably be best, but it's not cheap.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val Thoren without doubt. For your first trip you want to be near the action and ski in/ski out is by far the best option, but there are loads of other possibilites. Talk to a professional ski travel agent and look seriously at a catered chalet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having seen a big TO version of 5 star, I'd pretty much assume that you get exactly what you pay for most of the time.

For your first trip, you will not know what piste you have just skied, let alone what country you are in. Go with the cheap option, but don't expect miracles. In February everywhere has snow, so it really isn't a consideration, and on your first week of skiing even the smallest resort in the world will probably do if you have quality instruction available.

Next question, can you find quality instruction in Pampovoro? I know you can in VT, but someone who knows more about it would have to advise. On your first week of skiing you are going to need a fair bit of instruction, and if it is good you will get a huge amount more out of it than if it is bad.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
reeksi, they did one of these in either Montgenevre or Claviere last winter. I'd go for that instead.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monium wrote:

Next question, can you find quality instruction in Pampovoro? I know you can in VT, but someone who knows more about it would have to advise. On your first week of skiing you are going to need a fair bit of instruction, and if it is good you will get a huge amount more out of it than if it is bad.

I know several very good Bulgarian instructors, but they all go to Austria for the winters. Must be some left in Bulgaria though...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
reeksi, if you can get to your nearest indoor snow centre (preferably) or dry slope, there's noting to stop you picking up the basics starting right now while those places are emptyish and there are deals available. Depends on how fast you pick sports up, but it could easily save you a few days or more.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A million years ago we did a learn to ski week in vilars.
We went with some friends who went and got some lessons on a dry slope once booked. So not to be out done we did the same ( at the becton alps) The best thing we could have done! It ment we could spend the week on the slopes rather than the compleat beginners on the nursery slopes till mid week.
We like a bit of a Holliday as well as skiing so if you do s/c keep some cash back so you can eat out some nights! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neither. Certainly don't bother with VT as a beginner. It's too high up.

And get some lessons in at home first.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
.....And get some lessons in at home first.

+1
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
reeksi, they did one of these in either Montgenevre or Claviere last winter. I'd go for that instead.

+1: Montgenevre is perfect for beginners, good tuition (A Peak), loads to do, good apres, reasonable prices, and lots of ski in/out accom.
snow conditions
reeksi,
If it is just a few people going and you live near one of the major airports and the problem is money you are better wiating till a week beforehand and picking up a cheap deal, you will get a much better holiday for the money at that time of the year booking late than booking now.
snow conditions
Another vote here for neither.

Find somewhere thats more beginner friendly that will still be on budget. La Plagne/Les Arcs are usually cheaper then Val Thorens and for me are much more suited for a first trip.
latest report
reeksi, Another vote for 'neither'.

I'd go for Austria (Zell am See/Saalbach/Mayrhofen/Zell am Ziller/Brixen/Westendorf etc, but not St Anton for a beginner trip) and for peace of mind, do a catered chalet with a Tour Op or a nice Pension with half-board. You'll be too knackered to self-cater and you'll benefit from some apres ski or chatting at dinner with others who are in the same beginners boat as you.

Alternatively, La Rosiere in France (with Esprit if you have kids, or with Ski Olympic if you want ski-in/ski-out)
latest report
reeksi, on a practical note, as a beginner if you are putting any time and effort into learning the chances are that you will be completely cream crackered at the end of the day. In which case self-catering may not be the best option. Having at least some of your meals provided in the chalet/hotel is a definite bonus. Good instruction is an absolute must as, even if you have learnt the basics before you go, you will benefit enormously from lessons and being with someone who knows the mountains. Just having someone who can show you how to use the rope tows; buttons; chairs and whatever other weird and wonderful ways there are of getting to the pistes is incredibly useful. Look into some of the mid-price options above and find good instructors. From my own experience La Plagne is good, it's where I spent my second week on snow (it's not pretty, but you don't go for the architecture). VT wouldn't be on my beginners' list either.

The more info' you put up the better the suggestions you'll get (well, probably).
For example are you a lone traveller, going with friends, taking a family holiday (just don't feel you have to tell us what you do for a living...).
snow report
Im lucky enough to have an indoor snow centre that was recently built so have had a few lessons there, I used to work in an ice rink so i have translated alot of the skills from that to ski's so not exactly your average beginner! I'm probably more of an intermediate, I was using the people in the "beginners" lesson as slaloms within an hour.

I will be having some more lessons before i go, got a lesson booked on the 13th jun as im sure these alot more to learn!

this is where i was thinking of going, im just worried of running out of slopes to ski!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1025615-d632661-Reviews-Orlovetz_Hotel-Pamporovo_Smolyan_Province.html
snow report
I should probably also add, im going with 3 friends all mid to late 20's so "apres ski" is a must Happy
snow report
Montgenevre is a really nice little resort and good for beginners. As others have said, I'd avoid the biggest ski areas and maybe use the money saved from that for something a bit more luxurious. Personally, I find the accommodation is JUST somewhere to sleep. Even when self catering, I'll eat out or get take-away most evenings, and am so tired that I'd sleep on the floor if I had to. I really wouldn't appreciate or benefit from the luxury of a 5* hotel.
ski holidays
Quote:

I was using the people in the "beginners" lesson as slaloms within an hour.

I bet they really loved that....
ski holidays
Quote:

3 friends

reeksi, Can they already ski?
latest report
Montgenevre or Sestriere would be perfect. Madeye-Smiley
Not been to Pampovoro, it's apparently inferior to Bansko, which I have visited. I struggle to imagine how that's possible. Confused
snow report
Mmmmmm, let us see! Group of lads, late 20's, apres is a must!! Little respect for other piste users ......... Has to be Bulgaria!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reeksi wrote:
I used to work in an ice rink so i have translated alot of the skills from that to ski's so not exactly your average beginner! I'm probably more of an intermediate, I was using the people in the "beginners" lesson as slaloms within an hour.

Probably a good idea for people (not just beginners) to avoid both Pampovoro and VT w/c 2 Feb.
latest report
reeksi, check out Andorra. Seems to have a huge number of people in a very similar position to your group - beginners to intermediates who want cheap booze and easy pistes. Plenty of deals on there including TO organised packages from most of the major companies.
ski holidays
Bulgaria is not really known for its classy nightlife or apres ski.

Take a look at Mayrhofen. Cheaper than St Anton and Ischgl and great for all levels of ski ability.

B&B is the way to go - get a good breakfast, nick cheese and ham rolls for lunch, then eat pizza and/or burgers in the evening.
ski holidays
marmotte16, +1
ski holidays
1 friend can ski already and has been quite a few different places, the other 2 are a couple who have passed "main slope ready" at the local indoor ski place, so really is a varied bunch in terms of ski ability.

We are a very respectful bunch, and would have the upmost consideration of other users on the piste Happy Im going to have a look at some deals to Mayrhofen!

why should i avoid Val and Bulgaria the week commencing 2nd of Feb ?
snow conditions
reeksi, Welcome to snowHead 's. I think the advice was for others to avoid those resorts if you were going to use other hill users as slalom poles!! wink Skiing can be a dangerous sport and one hopes that others on the hill know the rules and respect others!
snow conditions
Welcome. +1 for Austria it will give you the bug and theres always something for everyone across the spectrum of ability.
ski holidays
Agree with Monium, Pas de le Casa whilst not the prettiest of resorts would be perfect for a beginners in their 20s ski and Apres week.
snow conditions
For good all in prices including equipment, ski pass, catering (including lunch) and instruction (for all levels - full or half time), you could always consider UCPA. There are centres all over the french alps so you can take your pick based on where the best Apres and ski area might be for your group. Prices haven't been released yet for this season, but were between 550-700 for most centres in that week last year. The only extras you will need to pay for are your travel (from £100 rtrn by overnight coach or around £150-200 for flights and transfers depending on resort/when you book) and your drinks (you can always buy your wine for dinner at the local supernmarket rather than the bar as long as you are discreet about it).

Flaine is good for beginners but the apres is limited (although still fun)
Val D'Isere is fine for beginners but can be challenging for improvers but really does have top notch nightlife
La Plagne has something for everyone and the centre is ski in/out but the nightlife is spread out across the different 'villages'
Chamonix would be good if some of your group are more advanced skiers but not so great for beginners, although the centre is in town (so great for bars) and you have to get the bus to the ski area every day.
Argentiere is a smallish village so best left to those who want to ski hard and not worry about apres
I've no experience of Les Arcs although have heard that the centre is good
Deux Alps would also be a good apres place but not sure what skiing would be like for beginners / improvers

Hope that has given you some ideas. See www.action-outdoors.co.uk for prices in August and use SP2010 when you book for £10 off each booking.
snow conditions
Thank you everyone for the information and advice, im a little overwhelmed with how much ive been given, really liking the look of Austria!,

has anyone been to st Johann ? or is this more of a family resort?
latest report
reeksi,

Have you considered Borovets? wink
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Personally, neither. But maybe that's just me. Bulgaria doesn't appeal to me and a cheap self catering apartment will probably be less comfortable than a caravan.

But hey, it's your first trip, if it's snow you want, VT is the answer.

Plenty of other options out there too, don't limit your choices.

Hey! Spent the whole winter in a caravan and it was perfectly comfortable Laughing

EDIT: apart from when you had to trudge to the shower block in flip flops!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy