Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NZ Central South Island

Poster: A snowHead
hang11, I was surprised last time I was home in Taihape that there were WhiteTail and Red Back spiders around. A Nasty unwanted import from Oz.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We get heaps of white tails - live in the firewood - but generally don't bite, although I've been bitten a couple of times and one was quite nasty - got infected and swelled up nicely.

I think huntsmans have taken up residence in places as well, and there's the odd katipo on the beach - seen a couple of those before - I think they're the only native poisonous spiders?

Nothing to worry about though. Earthquakes are scarier.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dot. wrote:
bats are the only native land based mammals in NZ.

Dot., I reckon the Māori might disagree with that.

hang11, great pictures. Jealous.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross wrote:
I reckon the Māori might disagree with that.

No, not native, immigrants just like the Europeans, just a few hundred years earlier, after a pretty epic canoe trip over the Pacific.

Before that the Moriori were in NZ, and there's a bit of a theory that the Chinese had a look round prior to that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moffatross, what he said ^
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a good shot, not mine, Christchurch CBD in the snow a couple of weeks ago. Still a no go zone 18 months on, even though there isn't much left

To put it into perspective this is smack in the middle of a city of 450,000 people known for its historic buildings, and the business centre of the south island. I used to work right by here, stuff all left now and not likely to ever be put right, at least in the same place.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hang11, Read a book about the Chinese visiting NZ and was not impressed. It used three "facts" to prove that a fleet of Chinese ships visited here.

Fact 1 kaimanawa wild horses must have been transported here by Chinese.
Truth is DNA testing proves they are descended from European horses brought here by British settlers/military

Fact 2 Otters sighted in the South Island waterways must have been transported here by Chinese.
Truth is that no evidence at all of otters has ever been found in NZ. Any sightings have been found to miss identification of seals.

Fact 3 A Chinese figurine found in NZ must have come from the fleet.
Fails to mention the quite large number of Chinese gold miners/settlers that arrived here in the 1860's and It is very likely that the figurine came with these guys.

Sorry to get off topic. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting Sarge - I had a look at a couple of websites, and there's a few theories about pre-european visits, and pre Captain Cook European visits.

Anyway, guessing Queenstown got rinsed and then snowed on last night?

Sometimes the wife snoring like a chainsaw is a good thing, woke me up from my All Blacks crushing victory hangover at 6am, so I checked the snow report, and the weather didn't do what it was supposed to last night, resulting in 35cm of dry light fresh powder snow and sun on Mt Hutt. So I shot up there early, and tracked out all the good stuff.

Got some new tires on my truck last week, Mickey Thompsons - been really looking forward to giving them a go in the snow - really impressive it's like having tank tracks! Way better than the Duellers I had on there before.

The South Face of Mt Hutt - there were a couple of good avalanches on there this morning, made heaps of noise

A different take on a picture of the ocean - quite odd being able to see the Pacific from a ski field

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great photos as ever and looks like some nice powder!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got up to Mt Hutt yesterday, awesome snow.

Fookin freezing in my house today. I'm staying in bed. Regretting buying a new snowboard instead of getting some insulation put in right now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It feels like that all year here. Laughing Those mountains look nice. Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sarge and hang11, just heard about the 7mag earthquake. Hope you and your families are all OK?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11, Nice, cool truck too
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dot., thanks for your concern, just heard about it as well. Unlike the Christchurch quakes this one was quite deep so no damaging effects on the surface. We did not feel it here in Queenstown but it was widely felt along the eastern coasts of both main islands.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 4-07-12 0:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I felt it, was just a little wobble for us, but would have been a good one to travel so far. It got my Mother in Law out of bed, she lives in Taranaki, probably shook her false teeth out of her head.

fortunately it was 260km deep. The ones we have been getting that do all the damage are 5 - 10km deep.

There's a whole world of difference in shaking between a 7 going off right under you and a 7 going off that far down, so no big drama really anywhere in NZ.

I did check on my whiskey collection Very Happy It was fine, so no need to panic drink.

Shite weather here, have managed the last 5 days up at Mt Hutt, but decided to earn some money today.

Haven't managed to get to anywhere other than Hutt yet - plenty of snow, but nothing fresh, and Hutt is the best option for those conditions. Not a lot in the forecast either.
snow conditions
hang11, Good to hear that the whiskey collection is fine. I guess you are the only threat it faces Toofy Grin Nice to know that you are getting out and using some of the snow you have up there.
ski holidays
School holidays, busy in the mountains today, so instead we headed to the Staveley International Olympic Ice Skating and Curling Rink......

Looks like the shed had a coat of paint over summer

Free marshmallow toasting

Well signposted....

Free wheel cleaning on the drive in....

And a scenic walk over a bridge....

latest report
Great photos again. I've just figured out what is so striking about many of the photos you've been posting of NZ winter... the trees and grass etc are all green, which is quite different to what you'd expect in mid-winter up here ??

cheers
Paul
snow report
It rains a lot Very Happy

4 seasons in one day really isn't unusual. Today started off at -2 and got to sunny and +15 at 4pm.
snow report
paulo, And most of the native trees and shrubs are evergreen.
ski holidays
Fantastic late spring conditions today. Shane its the middle of winter.

Badly need more snow and a drop in temperature.
ski holidays
But I did get to share a chair lift with Lynsey Vonn today.

A) She's quite tasty
B) She doesn't want to come out for a beer with me tonight
snow report
And Tongariro might be waking up Shocked

That could make for an interesting remainder of the season on the North Island.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/7317742/Rumblings-under-Tongariro
snow report
hang11, Thanks for sharing that. I had no idea the status of Tongario had changed. That's very much on my families doorstep.
snow conditions
Only a small status change, but looks a bit worrying.

Looks like some of your skis are getting demoed at Mt Hutt?
ski holidays
hang11, yeah we have an importer based near Christchurch. A bloke that makes splitboards. http://splitn2.com/

Was speaking to my father about Tongariro this morning. He remembers the lava fountains up there in the late 1950s. Should be a good show. I was a raft guide on the Tongariro river when Ruapehu erupted in 1995. Great show and the closet I'll ever get to a mushroom cloud without getting fried. The ash destroyed the paint on my car.
ski holidays
Went fishing today, weather was warmish, so headed up into the high country, near the Harper River, to chase some winter rainbow trout.

Not a lot of snow about - this spot should be getting iced up and covered in snow. But on the positive side, the trout will be nice and fat by the time summer comes.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Half a metre on the way in the next couple of days Very Happy
ski holidays
Last week delivered 75cm of snow to the area, then it rained, then it froze. We've got wall to wall coverage, not a rock in sight, but it's bulletproof. This week should see another 50cm of snow on top of that base, and it looks like there will be a few bluebird days in between. So it's looking pretty good.

I took some mates from Wellington for a look around yesterday. This is Erewhon (supposed to be nowhere spelled backwards), looking up the Rangitata River, towards an area known as the Garden of Eden - the European Settlers were very creative with the place names. There is supposed to be some amazing BC up there for those with the time and fitness to walk in to this area. Serious and isolated back country. All of this area was carved out by glaciers, the peaks are around 2,500m to give an idea of scale. The gravel braided rivers that were left behind are a fairly unique feature of the East Coast of the South Island. I think Alaska is the only other place they are found.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 6-08-12 9:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
hang11, nice shots but they've re-sized the page. Can you or a Mod shrink them a little bit? Thanks in advance
ski holidays
Done, sorry wrong flickr link
snow conditions
hang11, TVM - and BUMP so more folk can enjoy them.
latest report
75cm of fresh snow in the last two days, clearing to sun in the morning Very Happy

Diary is cleared and phone off Very Happy
latest report
the snow is looking good, lovely morning today, managed to sneak in a couple of hours before work this morning.

here's me with a gopro on a pole, don't often take it out, but it gives an interesting perspective for anyone that can be bothered to sit through 8 minutes of it

http://youtube.com/v/RaB9spnuIdw&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
hang11, Nice, wish I was there.... !!
snow report
It was good today - I was wearing a suit underneath the scuzzy snowboarding gear, straight off the mountain into a 3pm meeting looking all professional with a soaking wet back bottom Very Happy
snow conditions
Still very nice Very Happy

Looking like more on the way over the weekend, but there's a huge base at the moment, nice corn in the sun today, the ozzies have all buggered off home, all good.

latest report
Mt Dobson about to get some more snow this afternoon

ski holidays
Mt Hutt was fantastic this morning, some fresh snow, mid winter conditions, cloudless sky, with views out to the Pacific Ocean. And very few people. As good as it gets.

Roundhill closes for the season on Sunday, I may head down there for the day, as we are due for another 20cm on Saturday night.

It's shaping up to be an excellent spring in the middle of the South Island Very Happy

And the I'm going to Saint Foy at the end of January for a couple of weeks, real excited about that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy