Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NZ Central South Island

Poster: A snowHead
Further North than Queenstown.....

Went for a walk around Mt Potts today - Edoras for Lord of the Rings geeks. It's also where Heli Park is. There has been a bit more snow around over the last few days, and more on the way by the look of things. The season here kicks off 9th June with Mt Hutt opening, then all the smaller fields open towards the end of June or early July, if there's enough snow.

Still some Autumn colour about, and a nice day, so the South Island scenery was looking pretty good.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great photos! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen wrote:
Great photos! Very Happy

+1
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+2 please keep em coming.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Superb Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stunning Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry you live somewhere so shitty. All those concrete eyesores.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lol all the concrete eyesores fell over last February Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awesome. More and often please.

Thanks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stunning....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My God, what a beautiful country. Like Scotland in places, just ........... more.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
great photos
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, more please.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A half-foot of snow in Victoria, Australia, this week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like it's all blowing off at the moment, 120kmh warm North West winds today, although that usually means a bit of snow at the back of the storm as it heads off into the pacific.
ski holidays
Metservice has just issued a severe weather warning for heavy snow here on Tuesday, perfect timing for opening on Saturday. I'm getting dragged kicking and screaming to Auckland on Friday to take the family to see Lady Gaga - really hoping the airport is iced up Very Happy

Quote:
The heavy snow expected in the north of Otago and Canterbury has the potential to cause major disruption. A Special Weather Advisory has been issued for this event.
snow conditions
Perisher, Australia, opened, early, on Sat 2nd June.

First major resort open in the Southern Hemisphere.
ski holidays
Amazing amazing amazing
ski holidays
hang11, Great shots, really like the 4th one down. Shows a good eye Very Happy

You got a new camera? These seem a better photographic quality than last years?

Keep them coming Very Happy
ski holidays
Awesome photos
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:
hang11, Great shots, really like the 4th one down. Shows a good eye Very Happy

You got a new camera? These seem a better photographic quality than last years?

Keep them coming Very Happy

Cheers - we've got a metre of snow on the way now Very Happy Perfect season opener - looking out the window it's just about to start.

All those shots were taken on an end of season fishing trip - chasing trout up in the high country.

I have got a new camera. I downgraded Very Happy Went from a Canon DSLR and a couple of L series zoom lenses to an olympus E-P3 micro four thirds one, a nice set of primes and a wide angle zoom.

It's got a smaller sensor, but it's half the size and weight. With the old one, it was too heavy with a couple of lenses to take fishing if I was carrying wet weather gear, food, and all my fishing gear etc, but with this new one it's a lot easier, and the lenses are way smaller and lighter, but still very good quality.

Been really impressed with the results so far, and in my view the best camera is the one that is with me, and not at home in the cupboard, so the size works well. I'll be taking it up the mountain a lot more this season.
snow conditions
cool. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Were you lucky with the fish?
ski holidays
hang11, Interesting that you've switched from a DSLR. I was looking at the NEX5 and 7 the other day for the same reasons that you stated.
ski holidays
In the smaller cameras, is the sensor totally exposed when changing lenses?

I've been considering a new camera to replace my Pentax K20 for a while now as It's a heavy beast to take skiing and biking. It is built like a tank though so can cope with the odd tumble.
snow report
shoogly, drew a blank on that trip, but had a lot of fun watching a big run of salmon swim up one of the streams there - impressive stuff.

It's hosing it down outside at the moment, and 3 degrees. Forecast is calling for 50 - 100 cm above 400 metres over the next 12 hours with freezing levels dropping to near sea level and with light winds Very Happy Can't wait to see what things are looking like when the storm clears, but it should be loaded.

Dot., the Nex cameras are really nice, they have a larger sensor than the micro 4/3 ones, but the payoff for that is much bigger lenses, so you lose some of the advantages. There aren't many lenses optimized for small size for that system.

With the micro 4/3 I can carry a body, add on electronic viewfinder, a 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18 zoom, 20mm pancake, 14-42mm zoom, and a 45mm in about the same size bag as a canon 40D and a 17-50 zoom. If I add on a manual macro lens and 40-150 zoom, along with a full size flash and a few filters, it will still all fit in a bag that is too small to hold an iPad, and very light. The quality of the lenses is right up there with DSLR ones as well.

I'm sold on it, the payoff in image quality is very little, and the only real downside is that the mirrorless cameras are not too good at AF tracking, so shooting fast moving subjects can be challenging. But they are better and more accurate for AF on something not moving, because its all done off the sensor, so no front focus issues like a DSLR. Being able to easily adapt old lenses to use on it is great as well - some great old macro lenses and primes on Ebay for very little money.

The new olympus OM-D looks really good, and I'll probably pick one up next time I'm overseas.

shoogly, yes the sensor is exposed, never been an issue for me - easier to clean if you do need to.

Anyway, I'll try to get some more shots of the South Island covered in snow up on here by the weekend. It's all on for ski season here now.
snow report
Dot., I can see now why you moved to Bradford Toofy Grin
ski holidays
hang11, stunning images of stunning scenery. What sort of post-processing are you doing?
ski holidays
spyderjon, LOL. The love of a good English lass and nothing else. House is on the market and making moves after 20 years in the UK to get out of here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a bit of sharpening and levels, but pretty much straight out of the camera.

Anyway, nearly 4am, the spouting just fell off my house and woke me up, because there's so much snow in it Very Happy

Pretty sure I won't be able to take the kids to see Lady Gaga on Thursday. Absolutely gutted Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
The storm cleared yesterday, put about 1m to 1.25m down on the local ski fields over a 24 hour period. It was minus 10 this morning at my place, and the snow on the ground had turned to ice, made for an interesting time driving up to the airport before the sun came up, and then I got bumped off 3 flights due to ice, and ended up back home this afternoon.

I took a few shots near to sunset as I was driving back home, near Methven, Central South Island. Mt Hutt was looking nice.

ski holidays
Nice shots. Does this mean you have missed Lady Gaga Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad But will you make opening day at Mt Hutt Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Yes!!!

It worked out quite well, I managed to get Mrs Hang11 and the two little hang11's on a flight this afternoon, but no room for me Very Happy

So I'm sitting at home with a curry and a box of speights, and get to do opening day on Saturday.

This was basically the perfect storm Toofy Grin
latest report
Excellent result all round!! Mt Hutt is looking very good. Down south we don't have nearly as much snow although there was another 5cm overnight and maybe a bit more during the day. Opening day at Coronet will be limited to two lifts and staying on the main trails where the snow-making has done its job. But still better than not skiing.
ski holidays
Currently sitting in the pub with a jug of Speights, plate of whitebait, and a packet of codeine - definitely the best opening weekend I've ever had. Conditions have been fantastic all weekend, and my legs couldn't handle any more by lunchtime today. But I'm pulling a sickie tomorrow Very Happy
latest report
A few snaps from Mt Hutt, currently the only mountain outside of Queenstown that is open in NZ. Others on the south island will open over the next 2 - 4 weeks

There's plenty of snow on the hill, and some good off trail riding, with a bit of a crust, and deep snow underneath. We're due for a bit more this week, so it's shaping up to be an excellent start.

Beautiful weather today as well.

And a quick video of the drive down the access road. Mt Hutt is one of the better ones, but still has some decent drops off the side, with not much to prevent it happening - need to be careful, and if it's a bit icy, it definitely pays to put some chains on

http://youtube.com/v/fqz6qfB7fes
snow report
Still only Mt Hutt open, I got up there on Friday, couldn't see much, but the snow was nice. Today was much of the same this morning, most of the people had given up and gone home by mid-morning, then the sun came out, minimal crowd, good vibe, and about 20cm of fresh dry snow to be had. The conditions for so early in the season are exceptional. I had a couple of really nice top to bottom runs without crossing any tracks in the bowls to the side of the groomed area.

The other local mountains start to open next week, and north of Mt hutt are sitting on 1m+ bases already, a bit less further south in the Mackenzie. Shaping up to be an excellent season.

Some more pictures - been playing with a fisheye lens today, quite cool, but limited in its uses.

My new snowboard - loving it, especially the carbon fibre bindings...

My mate, needs a shave and a haircut

The view from the mountain across the Canterbury Plains, towards Christchurch, Pacific Ocean in the distance

Shot a deer down there last weekend, tasted good...

Hopefully I'll get up to Porters when it opens next Friday. Looks like another good storm is one the way.
snow conditions
Looks terrific!
snow conditions
Does look great. Fantastic start to the season.

Are the deer native, or invasive?
ski holidays
shoogly, bats are the only native land based mammals in NZ.
ski holidays
Introduced species are a big issue here, especially possums and stoats, which have destroyed our native birds. Deer, chamois, tahr and wallabies were introduced for hunting, and there's rumored to be a population of moose in Fiordland. Salmon and trout were also introduced by the acclimatisation societies when Europeans settled. Rodents turned up on boats hidden in cargo.

We haven't got any snakes or particularly scary spiders, the ozzies got those.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy