Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis, Skiis, Skies or Ski's?

Poster: A snowHead
altis wrote:
What's so flippin' difficult about skis?

Maybe this, that English is not native language of quite few people on World. I'm pretty sure your French, Chinese, German or maybe even Slovene is not totally perfect either. So why to bother with this if someone, who is most likely not English anyway, writes it wrong? I admit I'm really happy with spelling checkers incorporated into web browsers/mailers nowadays, since they correct at least some mistakes I make. I also happily admit my English suck, but if someone has problem with it, I can easily switch to Slovene, if you think I need to speak/write with perfect grammar and spelling.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
primoz, good point, well made
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica wrote:
holidayloverxx, I make it 8, if you count the omission of 'of' as the fifth word.

10, surely? Does nobody care about capital letters and full stops any more? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
harrisontherabbit, haha, another good point! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
harrisontherabbit, I was going to raise that but thought it far too sad......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll raise one more, nobody is used in the singular, no-one should be used when referring to multiple people. first is correct, the latter is more correct in relation to the rest of the phrase... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways, gosh. New one one me. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank Mr Stemp my old English teacher - a teacher in the old-school mold, who bore a striking resembalance to the Scarfe-cartoon teacher in the Pink Floyd "The Wall" video...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think we all need to be a bit more flexible in what we consider to be acceptable.
Languages constantly evolve. I'm pretty sure we would all struggle to understand the way English was written and spoken three hundred years ago. I've also read somewhere that if it wasn't for the advent of modern communication methods, that by the end of this century UK English speakers wouldn't be able to understand the English language spoken by Australians or North Americans.
As to poor punctuation and grammar, it only annoys me when what is written can be hard to understand or easy to misinterpret.
Bill Bryson (An American) has written some very interesting books about the English language.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Marmot, points well made. Certainly I don't think English should be stopped from evolving naturally (even if stopping it were possible).

But... I think in order for written language to be understandable, you've got to follow established patterns more strictly than you would when speaking. I reckon this is down to the lack of subtlety that you can normally convey with visual cues and the tone of what you're saying.

Think of it like someone mumbling in speech, and the other person not understanding. The person mumbling is welcome to do so for whatever reason - but shouldn't be surprised or even offended if the other guy says "pardon?". Of course this other guy shouldn't be rude about it, which is where a lot of arguments start.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Languages evolve, certainly, but they should evolve to make things easier to understand and communicate, not harder, not introduce ambiguity.

For example, I'm increasingly seeing people talking about having brought an item when they mean bought, or putting something in a draw rather than a drawer.

So yes, accepting simple mis-spellings or common grammatical mistakes is all part of the day to day, but please let's not ignore significant changes for the worse.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ap96 good points, which I agree with entirely. I enjoyed your description of very poor written English as being like someone mumbling in speech! Very good!

I only gently sigh when I see 'you're' instead of 'your' or 'm8' instead of 'mate' written somewhere. As long as I can understand what is being written in forums etc., I accept it without comment. Our language is always evolving, as much as we might dislike the changes.

I also accept that the American spelling of such words as colour and centre make much more sense, and I can't understand why some people get so upset about it. I've read somewhere that Shakespeare would often spell the same word in many different ways, all of which were perfectly understandable to the reader.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feef,

Shouldn't that be "putting somethink in a draw"
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
musher, 'draw' is a funny one, isn't it? Lots of people do that. Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
your all talking out you're bottom's and nobody over their cares that there all getting it wrong they're in there posts
Shocked
Has there ever been a shorter post with more spelling and grammar mistakes? Any advance on five? I'm
always amused that those who say it doesn't matter rolling eyes are those that haven't got a clue.

I once corrected a letter where a workmate had written 'effects' instead of 'affects.' She went mental, said I was just being pedantic and it didn't matter anyway. So I pointed out the following illustration:

'Smoking effects pregnancy' wink Hmmm.........

ROFLMFAO whilst simultaneously PMSL.

Lets' thee and me (Toofy Grin ) get a drink sometime bud, it will be fun!
snow report
Pedantica, by your rules... 10
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I'll raise one more, nobody is used in the singular, no-one should be used when referring to multiple people. first is correct, the latter is more correct in relation to the rest of the phrase... Toofy Grin

Many people were asked to fill the post. Nobody [single, i.e. no one person] accepted the invitation so no-one [of the many] became President.

Interestingly (!) if you have a trawl of the internet you will find people convincingly arguing it the other way round. And what of everyone/everybody, you might wonder how you can have a singular version of something that is obviously already plural:

Everybody accepted the invitation [ i.e. each responded singularly to the invitation in the affirmative], so everyone [together, so plural] shared the Presidency.
ski holidays
awbody are loving this here thread?
latest report
James the Last, does this mean I learnt something at school after all?

Shocked

or should that be learned? Puzzled
snow conditions
I was taught that "learned" was the correct way to write it, "learnt" was the way to say it, so "learnt" should never actually be written down, except perhaps where recording dialogue.

Not saying this is correct, but its what I was taught.

And don't get me started on "myself" ... Very Happy
ski holidays
It's interesting and illuminating to find how much knowlege lurks behind these inane pseudonyms which we use. This is not a conversation to which I would dare offer a contribution on the topic itself but it is indeed rivetting stuff and will doubtless have been a magnet to our hordes of unseen Posters..
ski holidays
Farley Goode,
Quote:

a magnet to our hordes of unseen Posters..

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I like this guy's take on the misuse of your and you're (some of the vocals aren't work-safe)

http://youtube.com/v/32p8d6OudgU
ski holidays
altis wrote:
For pity's sake; the plural of ski is skis.

cat => cats
dog => dogs
ski => skis

It just follows the normal rules. What's so flippin' difficult about skis?

altis, =>altiss ≠ altises, no.
Does more than one pair of skis = skises ?
ski holidays
Lechbob, no, the pair becomes the multiple i.e.

"Richard_sideways knocked over 15 pairs of skis at Courchevel, then legged it sharpish"
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:

"Richard_sideways knocked over 15 pairs of skis at Courchevel, then legged it sharpish"

I knew it was you Shocked
ski holidays
You're all wrong. Ski is a latin word and is already plural. The singular is actually skus.
snow conditions
beeryletcher,

Or skum?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beeryletcher wrote:
You're all wrong. Ski is a latin word and is already plural. The singular is actually skus.

So, one skus; two skis; and a shop full of skises!

Right, got it.

Thanks.
snow conditions
Farley Goode wrote:
It's interesting and illuminating to find how much knowlege lurks behind these inane pseudonyms which we use. This is not a conversation to which I would dare offer a contribution on the topic itself but it is indeed rivetting stuff and will doubtless have been a magnet to our hordes of unseen Posters..

Unseen posters? Do you mean unheard readers?

Well, it is May. Not much else to talk about.
ski holidays
Mr Marmot, I guess I do. Or unread herders. Was that Mrs Malaprop, or someone else ? So much have I forgotten. You have to really cover your back when posting on here..... but the natives aren't too unfriendly.
ski holidays
Farley GoodeYour not rong in you're assertions.

Whilst not exactly unfriendly, the natives are very restless. So watch your back. Suitable European snow is months away, but the natives are still being affected by the adrenaline left over from their recent exploits. They come in here just looking for something to get involved in to use up their excess energey. They should calm down by mid-summer, but start howling at the moon again at the first sound of edges being sharpened.
snow report
I basically do nothing all day now except sit in the back yard, in full mountain gear, goggles, and helmet, slowly sharpening the edges on the board; stopping only to howl at passing clouds encouraging them to drop their bounty of white-gold... and post on here of course...

am I normal?
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways Laughing Laughing Laughing

Do you continually practice putting snowchains on your winter tyres in Austria on a hire car picked up from the Swiss side of Geneva airport whilst considering a visit to La Rosiere as well ?

I know I do.............
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I basically do nothing all day now except sit in the back yard, in full mountain gear, goggles, and helmet, slowly sharpening the edges on the board; stopping only to howl at passing clouds encouraging them to drop their bounty of white-gold... and post on here of course...

am I normal?

Seems pretty normal to me.

However, I am the guy who repaints the piste marker poles every Summer. I don't have anything else to do. I receive the poles from all French and Austrian ski resorts in early May (they send them over by carrier pigeon) and I sit in my garden with my brush and tins of dulux, painting away to my hearts content. Obviously, they can't afford to pay me, I just do it for the love of it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy