Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2012/2013 (Update on Lech)

Poster: A snowHead
Been a laugh today, been taking it easy after a big one yesterday, seasonaires day off and they were all out in their daft gear......never seen as many fancy dress folks on the slopes, superheroes was the theme, but also saw some good lions, tigers and fat suits.....ha. Big plans for tomorrow, watching that Fohn snow layering but plan on doing Langen tour and round to Zurs for some gully bashing.

Snow up on Albona late morning and Rendl late afternoon pretty special today. Still great skiing, snow needed for proper off piste but getting into proper back country terrain still plenty of nice snow to b had.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit of a variation between the various reports as to how much snow will fall and when, but in general looking good with some fresh and nice and cold for next week, looks like three successive fresh snow falls in three successive Paddy's days for me in the Arlberg:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/mid

http://welove2ski.com/snow-report-march-7-2013

I like this one the best... http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Folks

The outlook has changed . Snow has been set back till Tuesday & Wednesday but then it will only be light snow "dandruff" nothing to get excited about.

I would not pay to much attention to those sites , they never get it right for St Anton.

You have to be here feel the wind,smell the air, listen to the animals & talk to the farmers !

Over & Out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Folks

The outlook has changed . Snow has been set back till Tuesday & Wednesday but then it will only be light snow "dandruff" nothing to get excited about.

I would not pay to much attention to those sites , they never get it right for St Anton.

You have to be here feel the wind,smell the air, listen to the animals & talk to the farmers !

Over & Out.

Ah, stanton and his magic cows Happy

Bergfex uses the data from ZAMG Innsbruck. The depth predictions they come up with are not very accurate (they never are for any site, and never will be, there are far too many local variations) but the general timings of snow seem to be pretty good in my experience, certainly for the next 24 to 48 hours. For the next 12 to 24 hours the ZAMG data is often very accurate for the Arlberg, a few years ago the guide I was skiing with called them for a detailed forecast and they predicted a storm clearing at 9am the next day. It was still snowing heavily at 8am stopped snowing at 8:30 and the sky was clear by 9am on the dot. OK, they got lucky, but none of the cows could have got that close Happy [and that was an epic day out...)

Bergfex is predicting light snow (20% chance) above 1750m this afternoon, than more likely (55%) by tonight. Lets see...
They say "maybe" snow tomorrow (30%), more likely Sunday (65%) and almost certainly on Tuesday (80%). Sadly Bergfex agrees with Stanton that there won't be very much Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those who don't want to smell Stanton's farts, Bergfex is reasonably accurate.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, stanton, talking of smelling the air, has anyone noticed the foul stench by the restaurant on Kappal? Skiing down is OK, you just keep moving and don't stop, but on the Schoengraben T-bar the smell from the restaurant is horrific. Smells like bad drains.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
For those who don't want to smell Stanton's farts, Bergfex is reasonably accurate.

Also, the daily avalanche report (from http://lwdweb.tirol.gv.at) includes a brief summary of the forecast which is quite useful. This morning they said:

Quote:
Weather: A low pressure zone north of the Azores is the essential cause of an airstream coming from the west towards
Tirol, in which a number of weak perturbances are embedded. Today, renewed foehn is anticipated, before the cloud
cover from the west becomes denser. Mountain weather today: lots of sunshine, mild temperatures, light foehn winds.
This afternoon, cloud will move in from the west, creating diffuse light, later on the summits will become shrouded.
Towards evening in Ausserfern and on the Arlberg, light snowfall could begin. Temperature at 2000m: plus 4 degrees;
at 3000m: minus 4 degrees. Light southerly foehn winds.

Roughly agrees with Bergfex that there might be some light snow by this evening.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a chance of snow later today/tonight but not much.

13th is a high chance of a few cms.

sah,

At this time of the season the septics tanks start to get full Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

sah,

At this time of the season the septics tanks start to get full

Yes, but I was there in December and it was horrible then too Shock
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sah, yep it smells, but hardly a big issue is it, it's a mountain restaurant.......are they supposed to pump the septic tank out with a helicopter or wait for the snow to clear and do it in summer?!

By the way there seems to be a lot of panic going on here about conditions and high temperatures, snow melt etc. just to reassure all there's nothing to worry about, the weather is great, all the pistes are open, this week I've done all the big routes I wanted to and more, plus been touring some great routes, all valley runs are open. Yesterday Maroikopf to Langen, today Rendl north face and two of the main couloirs under the top of Schindler, very little ice about and some great spring snow to be had if you looking in the right places wink

This time of year is the best IMO, saw a deer today on Rendl in the woods, saw Chamois (or Austrian equiv) yesterday at top of Madloch in Zurs, the op is in great shape, if anyone is worried about the snow then with 3m and not a hint of brown pistes suggest you pack your sun tan cream, beer vouchers and look forward to good times ahead! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
sah, yep it smells, but hardly a big issue is it, it's a mountain restaurant.......are they supposed to pump the septic tank out with a helicopter or wait for the snow to clear and do it in summer?!

By the way there seems to be a lot of panic going on here about conditions and high temperatures, snow melt etc. just to reassure all there's nothing to worry about, the weather is great, all the pistes are open, this week I've done all the big routes I wanted to and more, plus been touring some great routes, all valley runs are open. Yesterday Maroikopf to Langen, today Rendl north face and two of the main couloirs under the top of Schindler, very little ice about and some great spring snow to be had if you looking in the right places wink

This time of year is the best IMO, saw a deer today on Rendl in the woods, saw Chamois (or Austrian equiv) yesterday at top of Madloch in Zurs, the op is in great shape, if anyone is worried about the snow then with 3m and not a hint of brown pistes suggest you pack your sun tan cream, beer vouchers and look forward to good times ahead! Very Happy

Not at all worried about the snow, the area has never let me down over Easter Smile

Did you do thoses routes, couloirs on your own or with Torben????

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, hi Greg, on our own. First did the far left as you look at them, big moguls, then came back up and crawled through the net, dropped in and traversed across that one (looked choppy snow), skied under the lift station and then did the one just as you arrive into the lift station, great snow, steep and very rewarding run, really enjoyed it. Did rendlscharte to Malfontal tour then Valluga Nord face with Torben on Tuesday with my pal Dan and Clarky999.

There'll be plenty left for Easter, suggest a look at Wirt and Albona north face if you are in Stuben, plus Langen from Maroikopf, all were in great shape this week, with 10cm new snow they will be epic!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, yeh Stuben north face is a given Smile Booked Torben for 2 days, so suspect the other 4 will be skiing with the kids!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:

No, but it stank in the first week of the season, and no other places smell like that, only Kappal in my experience. Septic tanks aren't supposed to smell at all, but I guess the cold can stop them working. It's not a big issue at all I was just curious as to why that place is so bad; I've stayed in plenty of huts in more remote locations and some do have dodgy drains, but nothing like that.

Quote:
By the way there seems to be a lot of panic going on here about conditions and high temperatures, snow melt etc. just to reassure all there's nothing to worry about, the weather is great, all the pistes are open, this week I've done all the big routes I wanted to and more, plus been touring some great routes, all valley runs are open. Yesterday Maroikopf to Langen, today Rendl north face and two of the main couloirs under the top of Schindler, very little ice about and some great spring snow to be had if you looking in the right places

This time of year is the best IMO, saw a deer today on Rendl in the woods, saw Chamois (or Austrian equiv) yesterday at top of Madloch in Zurs, the op is in great shape, if anyone is worried about the snow then with 3m and not a hint of brown pistes suggest you pack your sun tan cream, beer vouchers and look forward to good times ahead!

People who worry about snow in March... crazy given the base there is rolling eyes . Can't wait to get out there, its my favourite time of the year for skiing. Very Happy

I think Chamois is Gams in German? Pretty sure it's the same animal. Quite timid, you did well to spot one. I've only seen them from the lift. Brave little things on the crags though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pfft, I spit on your negative predictions. Besides, they all seem to predict some amount of snow and then very cold so I'm happy with that.

Now does anyone have any suggestions about where I might try and buy skis in St anton, or would that kind of be a bad idea value wise? Think I rented off skiset last year and they would have sold me a pair of mythic riders for about 250. Prob a bad idea given how old they prob were, and also given they don't seem to be quite fat enough for full on powder, but if I'd done the deal with them before renting might not have been the worst idea.

Anyone any ideas?
ski holidays
8611, great deals at Alber and Jennwein right now, all the sales are on.
snow report
Interesting... where abouts are they in relation to the main street Marky, thanks
ski holidays
End of season Bar closures.

Murrmel . Easter Sunday confirmed.

more soon
snow report
8611 wrote:
Interesting... where abouts are they in relation to the main street Marky, thanks

both are at the top of the main drag near the roundabout. They also have shops right by the galzig and nasserien lift stations, you can't miss them:)
snow report
Saturday best day of the week for sliding about +1C now on Gampen , haze clouds, few people mostly german ski clubs & day trippers.

6 WEEKS TO GO TILL THE END OF THE SEASON !
snow conditions
Thanks lads might see if I can pick up another bargain. Got boots in dublin for 100 so on a roll!

Will need them all again in about two weeks for chamonix (struggles in vain to restrain child like giggling)
snow report
Been fantastic today on Albona, north face powder, also north side of Maroikopf and also north of Schindler run down to Rauz, and op down to Arlenmaehdler just fantastic. Sun all morning, colder later when clouds rolled in, gullys next to Kandahar great.

Snow due this coming week, no issues re cover but op needs a refresh........wish I was staying rolling eyes Toofy Grin

What a place!
snow conditions
8611, there are some bargains to be had in St Anton at the moment. Kirchbaum (by the Rendlbahn) have Whitedot Preachers and Redeemers for €499 inc Marker bindings (Jesters I think). That's a superb deal. Not really my kind of ski (they're not twin tips as such but they're not flat tails) but they get rave reviews on here and I doubt you'll beat that price in St Anton for a ski like that. I saw K2 Hardside for €420 (without bindings I guess) in a shop on the pedestrian zone (can't remember which one), also a good price and they may do a deal with bindings if you look interested.

Great spring conditions today, clearly a very good base as the off piste is still nice once it warms up a little. Lots of full depth slides on the steep S. facing aspects so Steissbachtal was closed today. Winter due back on Wednesday, so we're going to make the most of the sunshine while we can.

stanton's animals were correct, there has been a little cloud and one or 2 flakes in the air but no snow overnight or today, mainly sunshine Happy Apparently it's raining down the valley, so maybe fresh snow in other parts of Tyrol?
snow report
Thanks Sah, was thinking I'd just pick up something ex rental but will definitely have a look at the new stuff first

That's if I can get accomodation - got one massively overpriced reply from the tourist office and there's about 12 of us. May be Galtur at this rate...
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
Thanks Sah, was thinking I'd just pick up something ex rental but will definitely have a look at the new stuff first

That's if I can get accomodation - got one massively overpriced reply from the tourist office and there's about 12 of us. May be Galtur at this rate...

Seems quite busy in town, so not too surprised to hear that:( The panoramakanal was showing a lot of snow forecast in zillertal, so somewhere like hochfugen (sp?) might be a good call.
snow conditions
Thanks Sah - really surprised, have never had trouble at this time of year before
snow conditions
sah, Suggest a late morning Albona north face run (drop in next to the restaurant), also a traverse into north face of Rendl from top of Gampberg (through and below av barriers, down the gully and trees onto the piste), plus traverse onto north face of Maroikopf and down to bottom lift (avoid lower Maroi down to Verwall, bit wet low down). Also as you ski down to Rauz from Schindler stay high in the shade on the left and ski through the av barriers down to Valfegehrbahn.............all great powder and best done 11-13.00 to get best snow. Schindlerkar, the 4 gullys under top of Schindler, Shimmelegg/ Hinterrendl, and back op run down to Arlenmahder also in great shape, as are Valluga Nord and Maroi to Langen.

Suggest all best snow is high and north facing, south stuff had some big slides last week so we kept well away, including Schoengraben and Maienplatts/ Maienwasen............you've got a good top up coming this week. Enjoy it Toofy Grin
snow report
Folks. As above south facing slopes severe avi. Steißbachtal (happy valley) is closed
because of this. Nothing unusual.

There is plenty of accomodation available in the Valley.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah, Forgot to mention, suggest a trip round to Zurs, some great powder high both sides of Muggengrat, and gullys under chair also in great nick. Piste runs down to Zurs also in great condition, and super quiet last week. Should be quieter today I guess after all the race teams have departed! Also Madloch itinery down to Zug in great condition, a variant into the main face powder on right as you drop down was also epic, re-joining the piste just before the bottom gully (very icy down the gully last week).

Gully next to Kandahar (other side from larches) was also full of nice pow.

Also on Albona - at top of Albona 2, come off the top of the lift and turn immediately left, drop into the valley and traverse anticlock around the lake, hike over the shoulder and into the next north aspect face (Wirt), big pow descent past the tunnel vent shaft and down past the pylons eventually rejoining the piste S2 just before the Rauz bridge crossing over the road..........wow!

Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 11-03-13 13:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
stanton, Friday/ Saturday Steissbachtal closed too, not nice seeing all the people used to blues at the end of the day in bad light on Saturday like lemmings falling all over on Kandahar, super icy and steep black. The tannoy was suggesting people to use Galzigbahn for descent if needed but many took no notice, not a good place to be when it gets sketchy and bad viz, can't parallel on steeps etc.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:

Also on Albona - at top of Albona 2, come off the top of the lift and turn immediately left, drop into the valley and traverse anticlock around the lake, hike over the shoulder and into the next north aspect face (Wirt), big pow descent past the tunnel vent shaft and down past the pylons eventually rejoining the piste S2 just before the Rauz bridge crossing over the road..........wow!

Toofy Grin

If this is where I think it is Mark, I've never had to hike?? Video of the entry at the beginning here, a very small drop off but no hiking !!

http://youtube.com/v/O0Pu6rkFQn8
snow report
kitenski, Yes thats the general area but I think you dropped in and then immediately started to ski the main face there, and ski across the lake? No problem, looks great but if you drop in and then immediately do a slight right then left traverse above the lake and keeping your height (some poling to maintain height) you come to a 10 minute poling/ paddling area (skis on) as you go around the shoulder into the next valley, (big slab above you so you need to be very careful). then you ski down the main face which is steeper, maybe 35 degrees with the shaft on your left, head for the first pylon and then just keep following the terrain down mindful you dont want to drop too lowdown to hit the bridge. You can also keep going around and drop into St Christoph but thats for next season, we were concerned about the av risk and didnt want to go into the sun on the main slab early afternoon.

Incidentally we just skied on the Mantras all week, some skinning with Torben andalso up Maroikopf, not enough new pow for the Redeemers and the Mantras were just great, bashed through any crud. A friend skied with us for a day on 50/50 narrower skis and struggled, he was sinking in, we were floating. Wish I was out there for Easter.............enjoy!
snow conditions
Markymark29, ah ok, gotcha! What width was your mate on?? I'm thinking of taking some 78 for skiing with the kids (also will do fine up to boot deep off piste) and some 112 which I hope will cover most eventualities!! The Mantra is around 100mm isn't it???
snow report
kitenski, I think he was about 88 underfoot, we were on 102mm I think, you'll be fine on 112mm for spring snow op I reckon. Clarky999 came out for a day and had some wide pow skis on, its clear you need an edge for the occasional ice this time of year, he was working super hard when trying to hold an edge.
ski holidays
Markymark29, thanks for the tips, will certainly take a look at Zuers. Schoengraben not so good today, refrozen with no melting due to cloud cover. However slightly lower, above gampen, was great spring skiing until 12ish. Plenty of fun on rendl after about 10am yesterday. that run you describe off albona 2 sounds like a variation on "star wars", (past the vent then traverse back skiers left)? nice Happy did the run there down to St Christophe a few years ago, very nice except for the drop in to the car park at the end... parts of it are a terrain trap, so need to be wary.

kitenski, I'm skiing Sidestashes which are 108mm and they're great, they grip well in icy bits (pistes are not really icy at all, but first thing there are certainly hard patches), and great in softer areas. they do surprisingly well in slushy bumps too, really impressive in fact. lots of folks on coombacks (102), mantras and the like. obviously i'm looking forward to some fresh with those skis, but even now they work fine.

Still quite warm but more cloud today. A tiny amount of snow overnight, maybe 1cm but only very high up, if that. more cloud rolling in now. bergfex are scaling back their predictions, but everyone seems to think we'll get some snow and much colder temps on Wednesday. hopefully if it cools they can reopen Steißbachtal, it is indeed carnage on Kandahar in the afternoon.
ski holidays
Perfect weather. Empty slopes.....

I think the Dutch outnumber the British & Germans here this week.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Perfect weather. Empty slopes.....

I think the Dutch outnumber the British & Germans here this week.

Certainly seemed quieter today. V. nice conditions, tiny bit of fresh high up in Zuers and Lech today, nice spring skiing later on. Forecasts still say cooler with snow tomorrow, but pretty small amounts.
snow conditions
Markymark29,
Quote:

stanton, Friday/ Saturday Steissbachtal closed too, not nice seeing all the people used to blues at the end of the day in bad light on Saturday like lemmings falling all over on Kandahar, super icy and steep black. The tannoy was suggesting people to use Galzigbahn for descent if needed but many took no notice, not a good place to be when it gets sketchy and bad viz, can't parallel on steeps etc.

I was there 3 weeks ago (I'm back out this weekend!) and Steissbachtal was closed due to a mini avalanche/slide encroaching onto the piste, we dropped in above it on Bachseite and it was well skiable for anyone nervous or cautious, you'd just ski around it....so they groomed it and upgraded it to a red....so why have they closed it again?
ski holidays
dazman wrote:
Markymark29,
Quote:

I was there 3 weeks ago (I'm back out this weekend!) and Steissbachtal was closed due to a mini avalanche/slide encroaching onto the piste, we dropped in above it on Bachseite and it was well skiable for anyone nervous or cautious, you'd just ski around it....so they groomed it and upgraded it to a red....so why have they closed it again?

They close it because of avalanche risk from S. Facing slopes above. As you saw, slides easily cross the piste in warm weather. If it's closed it is not safe to drop in via bachseit either (there are usually signs up warning of the risk). Partially opened today, marked out as a ski route and it keeps to the right in the upper part. Lots of large slides have gone down there over the last few days but its cooler and safer now.
ski holidays
sah, Hi hope it's going well and the new skis performing . are you skiing in a group as I have 2 friend in St A this week who I know would be up for some Off Piste excursions ....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy