Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots

Poster: A snowHead
I went on my first ever ski trip in April and absolutely loved it, despite my knee blowing up on the forth day curtailing any further skiing Sad

I took lessons at Chill Factore and virtually lived there a month prior to my trip. I also had 6 hours of private lessons when I was away, so I've reached a decent level quite quickly.

Having caught the bug, I'm keen to get my own boots and would be grateful for recommendations of where to buy from. I've been told to avoid Snow & Rock, which is a shame because they look like they've got a large range, a lot of which are on sale. Ellis Brigham is another option and I've also been recommended Rivington Alpine, who sound very thorough but judging by their website don't seem to have a huge range.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
justatheory, you donàt need a huge range as long as they have the ones that fit correctly.

Get thee to a serious bootfitter - it's never too soon to start with correctly fitted boots. CEM at Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester is highly regarded although I guess that's maybe not so convenient for Manchester.

Or, treat yourself to a mountainous trip and see the guys at SOLE in Chamonix. The alps are lovely in summer.

Someone else may have more convenient suggestions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
justatheory, I would also recommend Rivington Alpine after having my boots fitted there, but don't go by the website to judge their stock, they had plenty when I went to their old shop. They now have a much bigger shop and last time I popped in there seemed to be plenty.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75526

Rivington Alpine have had nothing but good reviews on here.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
justatheory, Rivingtons website doesn't really do them justice.

You could go now and get something in the sales, or wait for new stock at the beginning of next season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for that guys. Rivington Alpine it is then. How much should I be looking to spend? I don't want to compromise but an approximate price range would be helpful.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless you're wanting/needing footbeds, liners or major modifications for the boots, then you'll just pay the price shown on the tag.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another recommendation for Rivington alpine here.

I got mine just before my ski holiday last January 2011, think i paid about £350 for them, but I don't think there is a standard price that someone on here could quote you. The cost of new boots can vary a lot, so you would just have to go and be prepared to pay the price for whichever boot suits you best.
I do know they wouldn't try to stiff you to simply pay for the most expensive boot - they'll do the consultation and decide which boot fits your feet, if this is the cheapest, great, if its the most expensive, thats the way it goes.

Just ring up and book an appointment and away you go. They're very thorough and knowledgable and very good (nice blokes too by the way), and dont let the website put you off, although they didn't have the right boot in their shop for me they rang the boot manufacturer direct and got a pair delivered.

By the way, I'm by no means an experienced skier and I've only skied once in my ow boots, but it was money well spent - i mean in terms of comfort and being able to control my skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
justatheory, +1 for Graham/ Andy at Rivington, top guys, Graham sorted mine, and also custom fit my wifes new boots this season. They dont need a big stock, just ones that'll fit, he'll tell you what'll fit your feet not vice versa, there's no BS just good honest advice...... and just one piece of advice, however "normal" you think your feet are, and whatever boots you go for, make sure you wang the manufacturers boot supplied insole away and pay Rivington for a custom insole.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark,

can you elaborate on the custom insole please, I'm all for wanging but I'd like to know more
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
howster, custom insoles are moulded to the underside of your feet as such you tend to get a better more comfortable fit in a ski boot and perhaps more importantly it seems easier to transfer the pressure through your feet to the skis, there are probably few people who wouldn't benefit in having a moulded insole in their ski boots to replace the thin piece of foam that normally resides there
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sounds like that right thing to have in there, think I'll be paying Rivington alpine another visit before next season....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, +1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
justatheory wrote:

I've been told to avoid Snow & Rock, which is a shame because they look like they've got a large range, a lot of which are on sale. .

Lots of sheep out there who follow the line of running down S&R coz they know someone who knew someone who once knew someone who had a bad experience. I used S&R got a good pair of boots at good price in sale and had them fitted then adjusted after using them once. I was nothing less than very impressed with the service I got there and I have proper odd shaped feet!! If you have a standard size shape foot then boots shouldn't be that big of an issue really.

It is accepted that many of their staff are not highly trained in fitting but some are pretty good. I went in and asked for the fitter who was regarded as the best in the branch and declined help offered from all other staff. It meant I had to come back when she was on duty and available but worth it.

Why not give them a go and see how you get on, end of the day a good deal is a good deal (take someone who knows what they are talking about with you for reassurance). If you're less than convinced and happy with them don't hand over your money and go to a more readily identified "expert" which will cost you more no doubt.

Also bare in mind my friend two years ago had very very expensive boots fitted by a very well known and highly regarded boot fitter and he after two days skiing sat in the piste side in tears due the pain caused his very very expensive expertly fitted booots.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jirac18 wrote:

Also bare in mind my friend two years ago had very very expensive boots fitted by a very well known and highly regarded boot fitter and he after two days skiing sat in the piste side in tears due the pain caused his very very expensive expertly fitted booots.

That happened to my husband as well except the tears started on day 1 and didn't finish till he rented boots after 9 days skiing and a tweaking session. Sad. He now has more "comfy" boots but I suspect they are slightly too large.
snow report
holidayloverxx, Yup, me too. I have lovely big wellies now.... but I can ski in them without crying at least wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy