Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitter recomended. Rivington Alpine

Poster: A snowHead
I calls em as I see em.

Last week I got a call from a Whitedot (dots dozen) customer asking if I could recomend a boot fitter in the North. I only ever recommend fitters I've seen in action and if I feel they are good (SOLE in Chamonix and Solutions 4 feet in Bicester Village) so please note that I am aware there are other good fitters out there that I've not seen or experienced.

The history.
Call from customer asking for help to recomend boot fitter up north, text to Colin from Solutions4feet, text back from Colin saying try Graham from Rivington Alpine.

The Store.
Rivington Alpine is in a new store on a business park, loads of free parking, nicely spaced out shop with bean bags and relaxed feel. Freindly staff who all new their stuff. No min wage shelf stackers here (no disrespect to min wage shelf stackers).

The Fit.
I sat back and watched as Graham spent a very thorough 3 hours with the fittee. Aplied a lot of knowledge that had nothing to do with building skis so I was totally lost but the man new his stuff. (customer went away with a shell 2 sizes smaller than the borrowed pair he had)

I'm not great with reviews but in this snowheads opinion for those up north looking for a good boot fitter, Graham at Rivington Alpine should be added to the lists of fitters available.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-03-11 11:51; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dot., Graham has received many good reviews on here. I had my boots fitted there just before last season and I can confirm how thorough and professional he is.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went to see him yesterday. I'd been meaning to go and see CEM about some minor work that needed doing, but in truth was finding it hard to justify a full day to go down to Bicester for the small alteration. And diesel's gone up again!

As it turns out, the shop's an easy 35 minute drive from me - just a few minutes north of the Reebok stadium in Bolton up the motorway.

They brew good coffee and have the chunkiest choc bikkies in the county.

Graham spent a good couple of hours checking fit, watching how I did my boots up (honest) and in the end made a couple of tweaks that should mean I stop losing toenails every season.

He seems to know his stuff, and is a really nice bloke too.

I'd happily recomend him to other northern monkeys.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, Graham is great, and did a great job when I bought (from elsewhere) a pair of warehouse-clearance-sale boots. He spent a good long time tweaking them to fit me just right, for a tiny price. I believe they've moved to a new shop since then, I keep meaning to go and have a look.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wigan, Yes, he's now moved and the new shop is much bigger with easy parking outside. It's worth a visit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bolton? I thought he was up North Laughing
Thanks for the heads up though, the only ones here are Slush and Rubble as far as I can work out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chattonmill, is there not a bootfitter in LD Mountain Centre now?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells, Most probably, but the last time I went there it was more expensive than S&R, plus I havn't heard any feedback from them.
I think that for my next pair I may go to SOLE when I am in Les Gets again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chattonmill, I think Smokin Joe or his missus may have had some boots fitted there recently. They had a very good bootfitter, but I think he moved on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
not sure who is at LD right now, Keith used to be there but that is a few years back, he now owns alpine ski warehouse in morzine
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chattonmill, we are from Newcastle and tried a few places in the north East and Yorkshire, with most being much of a muchness if you are a standard fit. My wife who had real problems with numb feet eventually drove me to look further affield and the trip through to Rivington Alpine was definately worth it. Graham was very thorough and cured the problem first time. She now is able to ski for a full day rather than just the mornings and as a result she gets so much more out of our time away. We will both be lifelong customers as the service really is on a different level. Make a day trip out of it with some skiing in the Chill factore.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Credit where it's due, (and apologies for resurrecting this old thread) just wanted to give positive feedback for Graham at Rivington Alpine for the excellent ski boot fitting done today on my wife's new boots. I looked on SH the other day wondering where to go for fitting, and saw your original post Dot., We'd just sourced her a pair of Garmont boots from Germany and took them across today and he's fitted including custom insole (such attention to detail) and she's so pleased.

Can't recommend enough...... I'm taking my boots over to have my custom insole/ fitting checked out in a week or so.

If you want expert service, great boot fitting I suggest you make Graham your first point of call in the North.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I dropped in to check out the new shop over Christmas, I like what they've done with the walls in the hallway:

(Sorry for photo size/quality)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll throw in another big recommendation for Graham and Andy at Rivington Alpine. I was up there just before Christmas, having found their details through SH. The mrs offered to buy me a pair of boots for Christmas, and I wasn't going to turn that one down!

From start to finish, Graham talked through the whole process as he took all the necessary measurements and checked the positioning of knee in relation to foot. That was a big plus for me, as it not only showed he knew his stuff, but it helped me to understand the structure of the lower leg better. In fact, as a result of what he told me I have invested in some decent orthopaedics for my work boots, and the improvement in posture and comfort is incredible!

After the information-gathering stage, Graham advised me that he didn't have anything in stock that day which would be a good fit for me. Now, I'm led to believe that some retailers would try to wedge you into the closest match they had in the back, but instead I was shown a few different boots on-screen which would be the right fit, and (eventually) picked my preferred boots from those.

Fast-forward a couple of days, I got a phone call to let me know that the boots were in, and I called back up to check the fit and have the boots heat moulded to my feet. Again, Graham and Andy were spot on. Andy did very well considering he'd had his eye on these very boots (sorry mate).

A word of warning though - Graham does test your reflexes and athletic ability on each visit.... by placing a large and very furry obstacle at random places in the store. She's an adorable and friendly german shepherd, who can often be found guarding the front door. I say guarding, I actually mean casually watching the people passing through it whilst snoozing on the two-seater in the foyer.

I was so impressed with the service that I took the wife up last weekend to get her fitted for a pair as well, ahead of our trip to Les Arcs next month. Her only criticism was that she wasn't allowed to take Arai home with her (the aforementioned fuzzball).

So a hearty thumbs up from us, cheers guys.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More praise from me too, as well as fitting my wife's Garmonts for her over the festive period Graham sorted my footbeds and canting out yesterday, have had the boots a full season, bought elsewhere and despite feeling OK before I now KNOW that they fit properly and the Rivington lads have sorted them!! Cheers Graham, all you guys have a good do in Zell and a safe and enjoyable Haute Route, you beat me to it. See you soon, Great service..........5* service, great brews too!!
ski holidays
DamonST..... your wife is a teacher, she likes sudoku but is not very good at crosswords.
latest report
Might have to have a wander up sometime with my boots, I think...
snow conditions
5 stars also from me for the service from Graham and Andy. Called in yesterday to get my skis serviced and to arrange an appointment to sort my wife's boots out and they said they could fit her in there and then. The time and attention to detail they take to make sure everything is just right is amazing. We were there over 4 hours but came away with the feeling that the boots had finally been sorted. One more vote for the great brews. Cheers guys.
snow conditions
+1 from me.

This Saturday I went to get new footbeds to replace the ones I got from the podiatrist about 8 years ago (and which were consequently falling apart).

Good service and dedication to getting everything just so. You'll spend ages there (clear your diary for the whole morning / afternoon!) but you won't leave dissatisfied Happy

Also, their footbeds suit telemark boots, I was a bit worried whether they wouldn't (cos you need to bend your toes a lot) but the front part of the beds are floppy enough to cope.
snow conditions
Higs, Spot on wink

SCollier1, ap96, I think most of the North West was there on Saturday! Bet the coffee budget went right out of the window Laughing
snow report
Higs wrote:
DamonST..... your wife is a teacher, she likes sudoku but is not very good at crosswords.

DamonST wrote:
Higs, Spot on wink

I'm sure you've worked it out but I was the guy sat next to you for much of that Saturday morning.

Another recommendation for Rivington Alpine from me too.

I was in there for about five an a half hours but I did come out of it with a set of boots that fit me really well. I've used them for a week now and have another week planned at the start of Feb. They're not perfect yet but they're a step change better than previous boots. I'm sure if I take them back and can explain any problems I'm having with them in the real world, Graham will be able to improve them further.
snow report
Does anyone know if the selection of boots in-store is bigger than those on the website? Also, how are the prices compared to the larger retailers?
snow conditions
JohnG84, I don't know about the boot range, but don't judge the place or the service on the website. The website isn't great but doesn't reflect the shop or the staff in my experience. Overall I think they're not cheap, but service is great.
snow report
When I started this thread it was about excellent observed service watching Graham do a boot fitting service with a customer.

This morning I took my Technica Cochise boots to Graham for a play. Long story short, I have a box of a foot after a childhood of running around barefoot in NZ. 106mm wide and the Cochise 120 has a 102mm last.

After 2 hours of blowing and a relocation of the instep buckle the boots feel to be one of the best fits I've had. Obviously still to ski them but am very impressed by the Rivington experience.

If you're in the Lancashire area looking for a good boot fitter. Graham at Rivington is your man.
snow report
After years (20+) of searching for a descent Boot fitting outfit..... Finally found one.
These guys really know what they are doing. Came away after the required amount of time to do a really good job with a truly well fitted and comfortable boot.

Forget anywhere else and take a trip to Rivington if you want real experts on the job.

Nothing to much trouble and no rushing....

To top it off really nice guys....
ski holidays
@leethebee, yup they do a good job for sure. I've had fittings from Rivington and Glide N Slide over the last 3 years and there is no need to travel south for a boot fitting IMHO if you live in the North. (note that there are also great boot fitters in the South)
snow report
Thanks you for the reassurance, already booked to go in January, so pleased that someone has posted good reviews about these, but had already gone off other posts stating they were good.
snow report
I'm looking to buy new boots after ending up with two purple toes from tight booths and then excessively loose boots from rentals on holiday. I'm up North so have the choice of Rivington Alpine, Anything Technical (Skiequipmentuk) Glide+Slide, Snow & Rock or to make a 3-4 hour journey to Solutions 4 Feet / Profeet (and if I need alterations go back). I notice Rivington don't seem to do custom liners like Zipfit / Intuition / Foam injection like some other companies do and i'm not sure why. Solutions 4 Feet recommended Rivington to me over the others if I wanted to go with someone more local to me. Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Powder Pete, Just give Rivington a call, or pop round for a visit, I have found them to be excellent
ski holidays
@Powder Pete, Speak to Graeme at Rivington, great service - I've used them lots, excellent.
snow report
@Powder Pete, Another +1 for Rivington Alpine. Recently bought a new pair of ski boots from them and I can't fault them. Andy and Graeme know their stuff and took a lot of time measuring and explaining what they were doing and why. Andy also makes a decent brew while your waiting and often throws in a fig biscuit as well if you're lucky.
snow report
Rivington or Glide and Slide.
snow report
+1 for Rivington Alpine. Me and the wife both bought from there. Friendly service and the boots fit like slippers.
snow report
+1 for Rivington Alpine for me. I got my boots fitted there whilst I was in the UK last Feb. By far, the best boots I have ever owned. Graham was great, and seriously knows his stuff. Can't recommend them enough. If they had a store in Norway, they would do VERY well for themselves!
ski holidays
Thanks very much - some good recommendations there. I feel I'm in safe hands! One thing I'm curious about is that they have 3 levels of boot fitting. Standard, Pro, Master which is £160. Does Graham do them all? Should I just go with the Master or will I get a great boot fit regardless. It's quite a lot of money but then it's worth it if you end up with boots that fit like slippers

What level of fitting for you go for and why?
latest report
From memory, I think that has more to do with the footbed. I simply booked an appointment, and we talked about my skiing style, and about my previous boots. I let him take care of the rest.

Either way, you are in very good hands.

Be sure to put aside around 3 hours Happy
ski holidays
Did you pay the £160 or £100 for the fitting? I will do. Just need to wait for them to get back from gear testing in Austria. When is generally the best time to buy ski gear from there. Will they have sales in April?
snow report
My good lady has had huge problems with her boots and we went to Rivington at the end of the 2016 season and got her fitted for some new boots but she didn't ski on them, she skied on them last year for 2 weeks had a few problems and took them back and had them tweaked again. We went to Wengen this year and she didnt have a single problem as Graham has sorted them - this from someone who was ready to give up skiing. Another recommendation for Rivington and they do stand by their fit guarantee.
latest report
@Powder Pete, as @Lilledonmarco, says, the guys are honest, if you ened an expensive one they'll advise, if not equally they'll be fair and not force you i'm sure. Regards sales, no idea, I've never bought stuff from them, just had boots fitted. I've recommended loads of folks to go there and all have been happy.
snow report
+1 for Rivington Alpine from me, and I just went with the £60 standard boot fitting. I got a brew and a pie!

I don't think they do sales, instead I think they just run low stock in the off season so you could end up with less choice. They suggested October/November as a better time to buy as that is when the new stuff turns up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy