Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester to Cairngorm tomorrow (27 April)

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob, yeah last minute flights are usually rather expensive unfortunately, same with trains - driving is the best way to do it last minute, best to car share if you can.

If you can get yourself over to my place in Bristol by 1 I'll give you a lift Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Arrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why is it so difficult.

No contest. Go to Scotland!!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be up for it, has anyone decided where they're staying yet?

Think about getting the train up overnight and come back on Sunday.

Cheers

Anna
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can sleep anywhere National Express is about £66 return from London Victoria to Aviemore, not quite as good timings as the sleeper though, but less than half the cost of the seated sleeper as there are no advance tickets left for tonight. Currently chucking it down again on the SSC webcams, will be there in about an hour so will have some photos (possibly of a whiteout as the snow is set to continue into the evening before clearing away overnight).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winterhighland, forgot about the bus but has to be said it's a bit of a long trip that way, does it stop in Aviemore though?

Annamillennium, I'm staying with a mate and I think the Manc lot are camping although I'm sure they'll tell you otherwise if I'm wrong.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay there are usually B&Bs with spaces or cheaper still are the Youth Hostels - there are 2 SYHA hostels, one in Aviemore and one at Glenmore near the ski road, there's also the Aviemore Bunk House which is an independent hostel but is very good (and in a nice position next to The Old Bridge Inn).

If you want to spend a bit more then you should find McDonald Highland resorts have discounted late room deals in their Aviemore hotels and there's also the Hilton at Coylumbridge.

Where are you travelling from?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Right, I think we're full.
Picking up two in Chorley and one in Moffat.

Yeahaa
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TheGeneralist wrote:
Right, I think we're full.
Picking up two in Chorley and one in Moffat.

Would that be Moffatross by any chance?
Quote:
Yeahaa

Yeehaa indeed, have a good trip up and maybe see you on the slopes somewhere, sometime snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm working on getting the guys I would be going to Castleford with to drive up. Thing is we wouldn't be able to leave before about half 7 tonight so we're thinking maybe get up early and do it in the morning instead.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobmcstuff, I've done overnighters before and it's okay (as long as you tank up with Red Bull lol), should be well worth it and from your neck of the woods you can grab some shut eye before the early start.

I'd strongly suggest you aim to arrive early though to avoid big ticket queues and full car parks, that'll be a big frustration if you get stuck queuing for ages. Also worth checking reports on the ski road because if it's dumping as heavily as it appears to be there may be delays getting that open. Better IMHO to be near the front of a jam on the ski road waiting for it to be open early on though than standing in a long queue waiting for tickets.

If you're staying overnight saturday there will be plenty of rooms in the area, try the Youth Hostels, the Aviemore Bunkhouse, loads of local B&Bs and there will be probably be discounted rooms in the McDonald Highland Resort hotels for a few quid more - that way you can make a night of it and have all of Sunday to travel back (you could even grab a few hours sliding Sunday morning)

Have fun whatever you do snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the answer here is I need to buy a car so I don't have to do all this faffing trying to get lifts...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aviemore bunkhouse is full on saturday but both the SYHA's have space. Decided to upgrade to the High Range for an extra tenner each. Driving overnight isn't too bad at this time of year (I've done MCR - Glencoe on my own) - remember it's daylight from 5am so it doesn't feel so bad!

bobmcstuff, Would normally offer you a lift but this time I'm getting one. Cairngorm will be way better than Castleford, get your mates up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobmcstuff, I've done that and crashed north of Glasgow, then got up early the next day.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobmcstuff, I haven't had a car for 8 years but I still drive quite frequently (but very irregularly). I joined City Car Club for short-ish journeys, and for anything more than 2 days or for going beyond the North West a plain old hire car does the job fine.

Hiring a car isn't a ridiculous price, I could have got a car from my local Avis for £73 for the weekend. It's the accommodation and fuel that put the price up for me: easily £50 per night for something reasonably nice and petrol from Manc came to over £100 if I remember rightly from my rough calculation. That plus having to take leave off if you don't happen to have a whole weekend free.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, yeah, I seem to remember the Travelodge just off the motorway at Stirling was a convenient place to stop.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobmcstuff
Quote:

Thing is we wouldn't be able to leave before about half 7 tonight so we're thinking maybe get up early and do it in the morning instead.

Why not stay at a good old Travelodge en route? eg Dunfermline or Perth. Even late in the day, rooms usually come in at a max of around £50 if you avoid city centres. That way you could get part (or most way) there tonight and (all being well and depending where you stay over) have time for a cheeky beer or two to get you in ski holiday mode.

Once upon a time one evening, I spotted that an epic day was in prospect at Cairngorm. So Mrs MA and left home (in north east England) at 9pm; drove 4 hrs to Blair Atholl; camped in the car (hatchback with seats down - the vehicle thereafter known as Hotel Laguna); had a very snug night at -2C; and arrived at Cairngorm very early doors for a sausage sarnie and cup of tea as soon as the cafe opened. Oh, and we had a fantastic day's skiing.

Where there's a will and all that!!
snow conditions
roga wrote:
Would that be Moffatross by any chance?

No, not me .... Moffat's a big city. Laughing I'm just on my way to Nevis now for some back corrie action but I'll be camping at Aviemore tonight for some Cairnorm touring tomorrow. Cool Have a good one everybody. Very Happy
ski holidays
'ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go....!!!! Very Happy

The White Lady (ie mid mountain) at Cairngorm:

snow report
WOW, what a weekend!

How did you guys get on?

Bet there's a smile on your faces Toofy Grin
snow report
Mwa ha ha ha ha ha
ski holidays
Just got back after meeting up with Steve, Alex and Andrew WOW, Lots of fresh snow, blue skies and no wind, IN SCOTLAND!!!!
snow report
Grrrrr
latest report
Good effort!

Glad it was worth it.
ski holidays
A genius weekend, no doubt. Really liked the gentle hike up from the Ptarmigan tow to the weather station (although my tele-technique was much better suited to the gentle descent back the same way!).

Saturday had great conditions from start to finish: even the already-tracked-out off-piste was pleasant since it hadn't set up hard. Sunday was less good first thing as the pistes were hard and the off-piste has turned boulder-y, but by lunchtime everything was just lovely.

Slight shame that no more lifts were open and that the bar shut so early, but overall, I can't complain about a bonus weekend with sun and powder and about as much skiing as my leg muscles could handle. Good company too in the form of tangowaggon, TheGeneralist and adventureontheriverbank. I'll grab my pictures off my rubbish cameraphone and see if any of them are worth posting.
latest report
No really good photos from me, but here's a few to give you an idea:

Looking back up towards Head Wall and Coronation Wall:

What Scotland's famous for: snow, sun... and Irn Bru:

Quick rest not far from Cairngorm summit before going back down the gentle way:

Still some reasonable fresh snow available around Sunday lunchtime:

Last time I came I was skiing that river...

Cairngorm summit with a couple of random blokes I met off that internet:
snow conditions
ap96 wrote:
Cairngorm summit with a couple of random blokes I met off that internet:

Is that riming slang Wink
ski holidays
Great photos, thanks for sharing Very Happy
snow report