Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester to Cairngorm tomorrow (27 April)

Poster: A snowHead
Righto,
Cairngorm looks good at present. Anyone fancy a mad trip up from Manchester area this weekend 27-29 April?

RickLP?

cheers

Alex

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-04-12 16:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oooh, possibly yes. WHat time you thinking of going?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes (if you'll have me!)

I don't own a car, so splitting petrol costs only, say, sounds like a good idea budget-wise compared to hiring a car.

I'm very much up for a budget trip, so if anyone knows of cheap accommodation that would be awesome! Place I stayed at last time was nice, but I'm happy to go downmarket from this:
http://www.highrange.co.uk/lodge_hotel.htm

What time were you thinking of leaving and returning?

Andrew.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, so much... But somewhat committed myself to other plans now so probably not.

What would the plan be?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ap96, take a tent and camp next to Loch Morlich... won't get much better than that! Weekend weather is forecast not too shabby.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Give me some more details, times going, coming back, i cant drive up there as my car is due its MOT this weekend. I will camp, would be great next to Loch Morlich. The mrs has said maybe, which is better than i was expecting!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just looked at the weather, sunny all day saturday and sunday!!! Temps at the top around -4 to +1 all weekend, conditions couldnt be better!!! Camping would be my choice i think, needs to be as cheap as possible!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Late Rooms has some hotels offering B&B from £35. Worth checking out Aviemore Highland Resort at the last minute, I got a £49 twin room for the night of the Warren Miller film in the Feb half term on that afternoon in the Aviemore Inn.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winterhighland, Cheers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Absolutely raging that I'm (almost certainly) not heading up Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Right, the good news is that I have vehicle and accommodation (to a degree) but driving all that way on my own would be beyond me.

I'd want to leave as early as possible on Friday evening - 4pm from Trafford Park but could obviously be flexible. Extremely flexible if someone else has a car and I don't need to drive mine Very Happy

If *I* do drive then it'll be in the campervan* and I'll probably aim to kip by Loch Morlich in the parking space where it says don't kip in this parking space. At least on Friday I will, Saturday probably warrants a proper campsite. Got room for 3ish sleeping in the van. Fill the fridge with beer and see if I can find the barbecue.

Can you PM me your phone numbers.

Like I say, I'm not the best at driving long distances so I need to think it through a bit more this evening.
cheers

Don't despair, it's a T5 and will happily do 85 most of the way.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mmmmm sounds interesting, anyone putting a plan together ??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can anyone who IS interested but doesn't have skis please double check the hiring options. I seem to remember seeing something about ski hire being closed. Don't want you to get all the way there and have no kit.

Just to clarify, the van can seat 4 in total and also sleep 4 in total IF the two in the roof are pretty small. RLP certainly can't fit in the roof for instance Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TheGeneralist, PM sent. Off home to plug my phone in so I can actually use it!

btw I'm not particularly small either Smile

I also have all my own gear. You were right, the hire shop has been closed the last couple of days according to the website.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Equipment hire was closed mid-week but is open Friday through the weekend according to CML. There are also other hire outlets in Aviemore and at Glenmore.
snow conditions
cheers Alan,
Just to try to get some perspective on conditions, is it best conditions all season lovely powder snow worth driving 700 miles for or is it best conditions of a rubbish season at least there's a bit of snow between the fences to ski on sort of thing?

Will coronation wall be skiable

Loagh Mor?
ski holidays
TheGeneralist, it'll be sh1te. Stay at home because it'll be too busy. I'll post the ski pr0n on Monday. Toofy Grin
snow report
Parking around Aviemore is a bit of a problem. Many car parks have "No Overnight" signs on them - including most of those up the ski road.

However, wild camping is permitted in the Sugar Bowl car park just before the steep hill up to the ski centre. It's relatively flat - especially along the left hand edge - and is quite sheltered by trees. It needs to be! The winds can be quite strong up there. Long term parking is also permitted up at the ski centre but this is very exposed. Kudos to Aviemore Police who spotted that my camper hadn't moved in several days and left a note under the windscreen asking me to call in if I was safe.

Sugar Bowl:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?X=298495&Y=807400&A=Y&Z=120

Ski Centre:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?X=298925&Y=806025&A=Y&Z=120

Note that both of these places are behind the snow gates. If the mountain becomes storm bound then you may be cut off and unable to get out.

Parking in the town is a bit more problematic. There is an area of waste ground next to the roundabout in the middle of the town that is used as a car park. I managed a couple of nights there but I imagine that an extended stay would arouse the interest of the police - just over the road. But note that the public toilets nearby also offer hot showers for £1.20 up until 6pm.

Car Park:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?X=289510&Y=812650&A=Y&Z=120

For other 'domestic' activities I spent a couple of nights at the Rothiemurchas camp site. Space for huge campers, EHU, fairly simple and not overpriced. Quite small so definitely worth booking ahead. Phones are only manned during the day - and then not all the time!

Camp Site:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?X=291265&Y=810590&A=Y&Z=120
http://www.rothiemurchus.net/Pages/Stay%20Locally/Camp%20and%20Caravan.html
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
TheGeneralist, it'll be sh1te. Stay at home because it'll be too busy. I'll post the ski pr0n on Monday. Toofy Grin

That's the sort of thing I want to hear. Getting more into the idea by the minute.
I'll give ap96 a quick call.
latest report
SO JEALOUS!
ski holidays
Right,
Looks like we're on. Steve and Andrew will be setting off from central Manchester at 16:07. I'll be meeting them somewhere and we're off.

Room for one more. Any takers?
ski holidays
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
latest report
No where near making it but loving this sharing love thats going around! Have a top weekend folks!!!
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, I know. If I wasn't broken I'd be on my way up.... Twisted Evil
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., yes, and we could also have gone to the Cairngorms skiing Laughing
snow report
So so tempted. Car is due it's MOT on Monday and I need it on the road, it needs to be done this weekend. If I can find someone to take my car for the MOT etc then I will cone, but it's looking doubtful. I will text alex if I'm coming or not by tomorrow morning. Have a great time guys.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, not that broken wink
latest report
Quote:
Will coronation wall be skiable
Not today - Cairngorm website advising severe avalanche risk - there's so much snow!!

Quote:
is it best conditions all season lovely powder snow worth driving 700 miles for?
YES! See photos here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88706

Looking like 4 of us could be going up on Sat night to ski Sunday - fellow snowHead keep an eye out for the group of 4 ski tourers!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All of you who make it - have a fab time!!!!
latest report
I'll be up from Bristol guys, probably in bounds Sat/Sun and then some touring (if all goes to plan) in the week.

nbt, I think you have my mobile number do you not?
snow conditions
If only. Unfortunately stuck in London working this weekend.

Have fun, and if ap96, manages any spectacular face plants can someone take a picture for me?
ski holidays
Alex here.
I'll be setting off from work at Trafford Park at 4pm hopefully.
Andrew's getting the train to Chorley at 16:07 from Manchester.
Steve's getting the train to Chorley at 11:30 all being well.
we'll meet at Chorley station at about 16:40 or thereabouts. Stop in Pitlochry for a king rib supper. Splendid.

Rick's trying to sort out his car, hopefully he'll manage it and join us too. Bring a warm sleeping bag Skullie

We have room for one more if Rick doesn't make it. If you want to come then post a message and bring your stuff to work on Friday...

cheers
snow report
as per the other thread (and the PM I just sent), although I'm keen and really tempted, it's not really feasible for me to get away at such short notice Sad

maybe next weekend if the lifts are still running...
latest report
nbt, That's exactly what I'm thinking if this weekend falls through (it's not looking favourable right now) going to try and sort my car out tomorrow. What I may do, is get my car done at 8am Saturday, drive straight up there then ski Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. I will keep alex posted as I have his number.
ski holidays
Packed and ready to go Very Happy

First time I've gone to work with my ski stuff! Thank ${deity} for snowheads!
ski holidays
Have a great time all of you! snowHead

Would you believe me if I said I'm not really jealous, even though I haven't been skiing on a mountain at all this season? Toofy Grin
latest report
Winterhighland website says Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy!!!

18+ inches of fresh on CairnGorm: It's time to play...This Report for the Scottish Highlands was issued at 20.24hrs Thursday 26th April 2012.

Did you hear the one about when it snowed all week, then the Sun came out for the weekend? No joke, that's exactly the situation on CairnGorm Mountain, with 18+ inches of fresh in the past 2 days and still another 4-6inches forecast for Friday.

Oh, and the forecast for the rest of the UK is mostly 5h1t€!! There is an Ullr!!
snow conditions
Bah, humbug.

There's still theoretically time for me to go home, get my ski stuff and meet TheGeneralist if I really wanted to...

But that would mean ditching skiing with my friends (one of whom I haven't seen for at least 6 months) at Castleford, which I agreed to do on Wednesday, to potentially get raped by some randoms from the internet my mother used to warn me about (Wink). I know they say no friends on a powder day and all that.

Arrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why is it so difficult.
snow report
Feck - actually just looked at flights LGW to Inverness but a bit spendy Sad
snow report
bobmcstuff: Castleford eh?

Only a five and a bit hours up the road the REAL stuff is waiting......

Cairngorm is calling you....beckoning to you....you can almost hear the music from the Visit Scotland advert.....you are almost powerless to
resist its wintry spell..... Twisted Evil

And at £21 (they're charging afternoon prices this weekend) for a day, it's much better value than an indoor fridge!

See you up there wink ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy