Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed with ski choice: Theory, Mantra or other? - BOUGHT

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads,

It's my first post and I've got another of those 'which ski to buy please' questions for you. To confuse the situation, I'm not planning on testing before I buy.

I've been pretty impressed with the reviews and awards of the Atomic Theory (which I can get for ~320 incl basic bindings) and the legions of fans for the Volkl Mantra (which I've seen for 284 ski only). I'm aware that there is a bit of a difference in the stiffness and weight of the two skis and am not sure which is going to be right for me. Also, the price of the Theory is a big draw…

Here's a bit about me to give you some more info: I'm 5ft 9 male, 70-72kg. I'd probably classify myself as an advanced skier (not expert) around 7-8 on the S+R scale who skied a lot as a kid, had 14 years out and have been back skiing for the last 5 years. I've always skied on-piste but in the last couple of years I've done a couple of half days off-piste and have caught the bug….hence the fatter skis. On-piste I like to mix it up but have always been a short-turn kind of person and still have the habit learned from ski lessons in the late 80s/early 90s of keeping my skis close together. In short, I think of myself as more of an aggressive skier than a laid back one. I'm also hoping to get a bit better over the next 5 or so years.

What are your thoughts? In terms of downsides, I'm a bit worried that the Theory will be a bit skittish and too soft for the skiing I like; whereas the Mantra might be a bit heavy and perhaps even a bit too advanced for my ability. If it's of any use, I skied the Head Supershape Titan earlier this year and loved it for an on-piste ski – gave a great rebound out of the turns.

Any help gratefully appreciated! Many thanks.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-04-12 12:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
doorman_tom, Tricky.

Mantras are great. So are kendos which are probably closer to theories.

Can't help otherwise...

Try before you buy... Wotever
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, I've got some Atomic Theorys/Theories, which I'm very happy with, haven't skied the Mantras. My old skis were K2 Crossfires, very heavy but rock solid on piste (plunge-happy off Sad). Like you, I was a bit worried the Theorys would be unstable at speed and maybe a bit soft, but so far my fears have been unfounded (and I've got 10kg over you Embarassed). For me, plenty of rebound in short turns, still as enjoyable as ever, less ski inertia seeming to cancel out the extra width underfoot. But as under a new name says, probably best to try before you buy (I didn't, but was lucky).

What are the 'basic bindings' - the FFG12s?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks to both of you for the advice. Still torn but I think either way I'm going to get a great ski, just a different experience depending on what I plump for.

I was reading an earlier post about testing in a fridge before buying. UANN you weren't convinced at all. At this time of year, is testing really feasible? I'm almost certainly not going to be buying from the big boys who have demo skis at the domes. I also feel that the extra cost for the day will outweigh some of the reduced sale price. And in all honesty, I'm not going to be able to test in resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DidierCouch
Quote:

What are the 'basic bindings' - the FFG12s?

Marker Griffon or Scott NS10. Might be able to get FFG12.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
doorman tom faced with a similar decision I went for the Kendo as being more forgiving on piste. Slightly cheaper too and I picked up a great deal.

At the end of the day whatever you buy it is unlikely that you will ever ski the alternative that you were faced with so you'll never know. Just pick the one with the nicest graphics.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
doorman_tom, No, given any alternative testing in a fridge is useless. Although my opinion might be different had I had my own boots!

Question: do you really need to buy?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a pair of theories and have found them excellent in all conditions so far, and seem very stable as said above. I ski the 177, I'm 5'11" and 85 kg. They have the standard FFG12 bindings and I'm probably a similar level to yourself.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice to hear some happy Theory customers Whitters and Couch. Have only heard one poor review from someone who found them too easy/boring to ski. Not sure I'm that good yet!

UANN: don't have to but I want to. I seem to spend hours before each ski trip trying to work out what's new that season, what's good and what's not and where I can get it from. Plus, I find that if you book on-line, you're not guaranteed of the ski you want. Hire in resort and you pay over the odds.

Tend to agree with you Tiger2. Apart from the bit about the graphics....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
doorman-tom, I'm the same weight as you and don't find the Theorys at all soft and unstable. They are light and easy to ski though which suits my ageing knees. I've only skied Mantras once. They are stiffer and heavier so you need to be "on them" much more but if you liked the Titans they should be fine for you. If you can't test them just go with your intuition. You won't end up with a bad ski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some people on TGR aren't loving this years rockered mantra. I have the older non rockered version which I definately feel the next day, but the edge hold is truely phenomenal.

Can't comment on the theories as they are a bit too new for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow_Dog, See, I hear these "stiff" and demanding tales of Mantras, but I just don't get it. To us, they're the easiest skis in the world.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
Snow_Dog, See, I hear these "stiff" and demanding tales of Mantras, but I just don't get it. To us, they're the easiest skis in the world.
Good for you ! When I skied the Mantras they were not nearly as "stiff and demanding" as I expected them to be given what has been written about them but with my dodgy old knees I would really notice the difference after a couple of days. Each to their own . . . . . . .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Good for you ! When I skied the Mantras they were not nearly as "stiff and demanding" as I expected them to be given what has been written about them. I enjoyed them but, with my dodgy old knees, I would really notice the difference after a couple of days. Each to their own . . . . . . .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a convert to a wider ski [2011 Mantra] this year from years of skiing Atomic GS [type] skis,GSM11/SX12etc. I'm 6"3 and 95KG with 60+ weeks experience. The Mantras do everything from hard pack to slush on and off piste. Just as stable at highish speed on piste, easier in bumps and no comparison off piste. Only slight negative is not as quick edge to edge, if you really enjoy on piste varying turn shapes most of the day or icy bumps then not ideal. I didnt find them stiff or demanding though you need to well balanced/centered.They are a great all round ski and I will never buy a 'traditional' ski again.
ski holidays
Never skied the theory but have had a fair amount of time on the Mantra.1st off the 2011 rockered model skis short and in my mind should be taken in a longer length,its a fairly stiff ski for an all mountain/off piste jobby so you will need some decent legs under you as its not going to be as relaxing as a day on a set of missions (the mission is much softer tip and tale and is poor for edge hold on ice),edge hold on ice is good for this type of ski and its good edge to edge speed wise.No ski is going to be all things to all men but if your looking for a bloody good allrounder and are willing to make the effort with it its a class act.
PS the top sheet finish is frgile,it will look like its done 10 weeks after 10mins!!!!
ski holidays
Snow_Dog, Hee hee, fair y nuff.

doorman_tom, I'm afraid I am going to have to ask, then, how often you ski.

I went for years without owning my own skis, (having owned my own previously for, oh, about 26 years) ...

I now live in the alps, and really needed a ski that would do anything, hence the Mantras. Because it's too much of a faff to carry more than one pair on the car without good reason.

If I skied the way I did when I lived in the UK, I'd still hire.
snow report
Thanks all for the help with the decision, I was all decided on the Theory and then when I came to place an order, it all fell through. Long story but it prompted a re-think if I wanted to get some decent skis this season at a knock-down price.

In the end I bought a pair of Whitedot Ones from Edge & Wax at a very good price. I bit of a punt perhaps and maybe not exactly what I was initially after but the price was right and I like the reports of the quality workmanship. I'll be back on here some time in the near future with a review!

FYI E&W were great with their service, can highly recommend.

Now just to decide where to go for a season-ending 4 days this weekend. Flights are booked to Geneva and trying to weigh up if the height and temperature at Tignes will outweigh the ease and cheapness of Chamonix. But that's for another forum...
ski holidays
Whitedot ones supposed to be very good. Enjoy! Very Happy
snow report
doorman_tom, excellent choice Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy