Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skia Sweetspot Trainer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
adamantis, how much are you looking for?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
research shows that training like for like will lead to improvements so standing and balancing on a block will make you good at standing and balancing on a block. It bears no real resemblance to standing and balancing on something that is constantly moving and changing.

Sure, improving you general balance will help (slightly) with you skiing but this is another 'quick fix' that really doesn't relate to the movement/balance required for skiing.

It's just like assuming jogging will improve skiing fitness for racing. This is old thinking and ski racing is an anaerobic sport where sprints etc. are more beneficial as they relate more directly to the movement, energy expenditure required for racing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought this sounded interesting, but reading
Quote:

This is old thinking and ski racing is an anaerobic sport

I'm now wondering if I misunderstood. Were we talking about it being useful for race training? I was assuming it was more for recreational skiers who don't get long enough on the snow each year to perfect things.

I fully understand the idea that if you practice something you will get better at that particular thing, but applying that knowledge to something else which is similar is exactly how kids learn and why dyspraxic kids struggle, because it's something they can't do easily. Teaching yourself to 'feel' what is in effect the 'neutral position' on skis can't be a bad thing, surely?

Do people who own the trainer think it would help people who sit too far back and also too far forward please?

On reflection should probably have read all the instructions/marketing on the trainer before posting this, but I suspect I'd still be asking 'real' users wink Thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suspect the biggest advantage of these is in learning to move up and down without moving forward or backwards rather than learning to stand in a balanced position.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HelenS wrote:

Do people who own the trainer think it would help people who sit too far back and also too far forward please?

from a real user, yes...

finestgreen, yep, moving up and down as in..absorbing terrain in balance, you are very local so welcome to try my spare pair...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Very tempted to try it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bump: I'm not quite at the rock from side to side on them, but I can def. do the red blocks tonight - which is what I said earlier in the thread I'd like to do Very Happy Holiday next week, will have to see if they make any difference.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just grabbed myself a set of these off ebay and having tried them tonight for the first time...few initial observations

1. really interesting 'feeling' for the balance on the blocks
2. they look like they are well made though the strap round the back of the boot could be improved for easier fitment but one located, they stay on well and remain centered on the boot sole
3. can really feel it in my thighs - that has to be a good sign on muscle memory....bad sign on my pre-holiday fitness lol
4. quite hard to do on a carpeted floor due to squishyness of underlay it tends to help tip you off balance...much better on a solid floor
5. definately able to presure the tongue of the boot and flex ankles which helps to make it feel a natural aid for skiing technique
6. god knows how bad you'd be if you tried it after a few glasses of wine or a few beers Smile

Taking boots off, immediate feeling of being very planted on your feet, odd sensation but looking fwd to seeing how i perform on snow after doing some work on these.

Cheers
David
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Taking boots off, immediate feeling of being very planted on your feet, odd sensation

I take off the trainers and stand in my flat boots with hands on my hips and my eyes shut - if you thought the sensation weird beforehand just try doing what I do. 'Odd' doesn't come close!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lol...will try it in the morning Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy