Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skia Sweetspot Trainer

Poster: A snowHead
Hi! Has anybody tried this/bought this? And do you have any comments/feedback? Looked quite interesting but is it just marketing hype? Would be very interested to hear from anybody that has tried this and is an intermediate skier: reds and sometimes blacks. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tinabf, we sell them in the store, i have only had a quick go on it myself but suffice to say it is very effective at getting you in the right place in your boots(dam difficult to do correctly), before we ordered any we spoke to the guys at BASS morzine who endorse it (i know the person i spoke to wouldn't just say it was good if they didn't think it was publicly)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have one, but it's only just arrived and it's too early for proper feedback.

It's effing hard though - even on the green block.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pricey
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's expensive for what it is. I can see how it would be worth it for a ski school, or a shop such as CEM's, but for personal use you could probably get a lot of the same benefit by balancing on a couple of narrow planks, making sure you put them under the right place on your boot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kieranm, the problem is getting them and keeping them( the narrow planks) under the right point on your boots consistantly, there is quite a lot of plastic involved in the unit, so yes i wouldn't be selling them if they were any more expensive but we have had a couple go already (only had them a few weeks so the price seems to be ok)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hugh Monney who was the inspiration for the device, has been advocating this balance point for years. he installed the idea in my head on my BASI course when he was the trainer. The method works in skiing for me, I've been using it for 6 years now. I've got one on the way to me, looking forward to trying it out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I've got one on the way to me, looking forward to trying it out.

same here. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mmmmmm. I think I will wait for all you guys who are waiting for yours to arrive/have just got it, to tell me what you think. Is it for recreational skiers ( like me) or for racers? It is just that when I had lessons this year my teacher kept going on about my centre of balance and I am not sure I got it...And this seemed as though it might help...

Thanks for your input so far though folks. I shall watch this space...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i have a couple sets which we will be trialling with clients

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 12-04-12 12:41; edited 7 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, I remember you trying to show me at Hemel. I found it really hard to focus on this area of my foot, I think because - as for anyone who isn't flat-footed - it's usually in mid-air and can't therefore be pressurized. Difficult to express, but for me it was like trying to balance on thin air.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pedantica, Well I've got a set coming, perfect for a night in, good food, vodka and a bit of balancing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, OMG, could get HORRIBLY messy! Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica wrote:
Spyderman, I remember you trying to show me at Hemel. I found it really hard to focus on this area of my foot, I think because - as for anyone who isn't flat-footed - it's usually in mid-air and can't therefore be pressurized. Difficult to express, but for me it was like trying to balance on thin air.

that is part of what a footbed does in the boot...fills the air spaces and allows you to balance better
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, yes, I know, that's why I said 'usually'. I think my problem's psychological. Embarassed
snow report
who was that guru whose 'seventies videos spoke of pressing a lemon under the foot? With an all-in-one ski suit and bad hair?
ski holidays
OK, so I'm the relative beginner here and even I've got one coming - it will be interesting to see if I can get some improvement from it.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Hugh Monney who was the inspiration for the device

I read that as Huge Money the first time around Laughing
latest report
Well my pair turned up a couple of days ago and I've been playing with them tonight. They were more substantial objects than I was expecting - the plastic is a bit stiff, but I am sure will bend to my boots with successive uses. The flat plate fits really neatly under the boot, and the blocks clip on and off with a positive action. The instruction manual is very good - it might be a good idea to get it onto a computer at some point as I think it might 'wear' if you wanted to refer to it long term, but it is a decent booklet for first usage, with good pictures and instructions.

You def. don't want to walk before you can run with the device - the green blocks are def. the ones to start on. I thought it seemed relatively easy to balance on these as I did the first crouching exercise, but I found I became really conscious that something was happening when I took them off for the part of the exercise where you stand flat on the ground again. The reaction of my legs and mind was astonishing/curious I'm not really sure what. As I stood there it was as though I was still on the blocks. The booklet says that your mind 'processes' what it has learned, I think that is what was going on - 'processing'. Back on the blocks again and repeat and the sensation starts to dimish with the repetitions, but the first time its quite astonishing. The green blocks are achievable, but having been on them I don't feel inclined to try a narrower one until I have these completely sussed. The crouching exercise also does your quads in a bit, I was amazed at how it warmed me up just doing the crouching exercise in the front room.

I'll do some more experimenting tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that I see the benefit in a couple of weeks time.
snow conditions
I've tried it and I've got one. It's really good!! I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

Quote:

The crouching exercise also does your quads in a bit,

I know what you mean - but to clarify this is not the muscle that aches if you sit back and that you feel if you crouch against a wall, it's more on the outside of the leg.

FlyingStantoni, I think this should help our issue!

BASI members can get a discount on them via the members' area of the website.
snow report
We've been sent a couple off pairs so if any Inside Out clients want to try a pair we'll be taking them to Hemel. Not used them myself yet, but in general I think that any sustained exercises you do to develop your balance is a good thing for skiing, whether this be the sweetspot trainer, slack line, balance boards, bosu balls or whatever.
ski holidays
beanie1, Anatomy wasn't ever my strong point LOL - the muscle I felt was the one that seems to run down and affect round to the front of the thigh.

rob@rar re: general balance I've also been scrubbing my teeth on one leg too! Something that I think was recommended to me by Pam W IIRC
latest report
Megamum, unless it's with an electric toothbrush, and with your eyes shut, it doesn't count. wink
ski holidays
I got to try a pair of these out at my ski club last night.

- bit fiddly to put on, even after they have been adjusted for your boot.
- they were fun and challenging to use, particularly as there was a group of us doing it at the same time, and the balance point was interesting.
- different to balancing on a wobble cushion where you can press on your toes and heels to correct imbalance; with the sweetspot trainer you can't do that, which is a plus for the sweetspot trainer.
- there were a few ways to cheat and make it easier (e.g. have one foot very slightly in front of other), or balance incorrectly (e.g. press hard with toes and push calves into back of boot) so they aren't infallible and you have to use them carefully and be disciplined to get the most out of it.
- you can't flex at the ankle and press shins into front of boot as you would when skiing (or at least I can't without immediately losing balance on the sweetspot trainer) so movement has to be mostly from knees and hips, which is not best practice when skiing. It encourages counter-balancing by pushing out your bum when flexing up and down which is something I really need to do less.

So, in general I liked using it. It was helpful, but not perfect. If I didn't have a wobble cushion already I might get one (as Rob says anything that improves balance is good). If I was a ski club or shop or ski school I'd get some as I think they'd be a useful tool. It doesn't have the convenience that a wobble cushion does (you have to get your boots on to use it) which would probably mean I'd not use it at home all that often. Having access to it at the dry slope where I ski last night was good as I could use the sweetspot trainer, then immediately ski to try and feel the same balance point. 45 pounds seems like a lot for what it is, but you'll probably get your money's worth if you compare it to an hour or two of lessons with an instructor where you're working on balance.
snow report
Megamum: the instructions and exercises are on their website as a pdf to download if you want a computerised version.
ski holidays
kieranm, I put the fiddliness down to the newness of the plastic - had the ones you tried been well used? I must admit I hadn't spotted that you couldn't easily flex the ankles and pressure the front of the boot - I'll look out for that. PDF might be a worthwhile download - esp. to take as a file on a mobile device.
snow conditions
I'd be interested to hear feedback on whether it is much different from using a BOSU with your ski boots on.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc,
Quote:

using a BOSU with your ski boots on.
I've never thought of doing that. Hmm, I feel a refinement of my ironing arrangements coming on... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are some video clips on how to use it here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SkiASweetspot?ob=0&feature=results_main
ski holidays
I've never used a BOSU, but it looks similar to a wobble cushion, and I can compare that to the sweetspot trainer. With the sweetspot trainer you can't use pressure on the front and rear of your foot to correct imbalance, which you can do on a wobble cushion. Instead you have to remain balanced over the centre of your foot by adjusting the rest of your body. You can also do it with your feet a sensible distance apart, rather than close together which the cushion mandates.
ski holidays
kieranm, did you try the cusion with ski boots on? I'd have thought it was the boots that dictated that you have to use the whole of your body to balance.
ski holidays
Quote:

you can't flex at the ankle and press shins into front of boot as you would when skiing

I do this and it's not correct. You should be centered and not hanging forwards. It's very good at stopping people hanging on the front of the boot.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
Mosha Marc,
Quote:

using a BOSU with your ski boots on.
I've never thought of doing that. Hmm, I feel a refinement of my ironing arrangements coming on... Toofy Grin

Naked ironing save for ski boots and SkiA "Sweetspot" trainers?

They'll be selling tickets. Mark my words.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, who said anything about 'naked.' It'll look quite bizarre enough with clothes on!
ski holidays
I got one of these Skia Sweetspot Trainers at Slide in February and tried it out before my skiing holiday last month. I used it several times before my holiday and it certainly got easier with practice. When I was skiing, I was far more conscious of getting my balance on the "sweetspot" and I think it made quite a difference to my skiing. I was trying it out with a view to hiring them out. I hire out ski wear (based near East Grinstead) and it seems like a good idea when you come to collect your ski wear to pick up your ski trainer and then bring it back when you return your clothes at the end of your holiday. I would probably hire it out for £10-£12. Well worth it I think to improve your skiing! Comments please!
snow report
georgina@schussaway.co.uk, good idea... a tenner may be a bit steep for a 40 odd quid item but it would be interesting to hear how you get on ... welcome to SH's snowHead
snow report
Mosha Marc: no I've not tried the cushion with my boots on, but will. I think the difference is that with the cushion there is something under the toe/heel to press against (at least a bit), but with the sweetspot trainer there is just thin air.
snow report
Hi everyone,

I have purchased of these and I have to say I find it excellent. I suffer with very bad balance normally and usually the Skia Sweetspot has really helped with my confidence.
snow conditions
Welcome both georgina@schussaway.co.uk and Maria55.

I hate to be suspicious, but two endorsements from new posters in a day...
snow report
Thanks FlyingStantoni, why should it be suspicious I saw this conversation and wanted to add my piece if its not welcome i can certainly leave. I can clearly see that most of the posting is being done a very small number of people so perhaps mine and georgina@schussaway.co.uk, views are not valid or welcome.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy