Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom Skis, The Good Bad and The Ugly....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a pair of slalom skis to do some racing on. I can ski well and am 6ft and 75 kg.

I'd like to know people's opinions of what they consider as good skis, or bad (& ugly) to avoid. I may be looking at a new pair of fairly recent used, probably 155.

Although I have been skiing for many years I have quit a long lay off so I need to catch up on the gear.

Thanks

Dave
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davehansen, If you stick with well branded ones, I don't think you'll find many bad or ugly ones, some are more bomb proof than others, best to demo them early at a dome etc. and decide which ones you get on with!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davehansen, FIS legal for you is 165 asuming you are not a female called Dave.

Usual suspects Atomic SL, Salomon 3v, Rossignol, Dynastar Vokl Tigershark etc etc
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fattes13 wrote:
davehansen, FIS legal for you is 165 asuming you are not a female called Dave.

Usual suspects Atomic SL, Salomon 3v, Rossignol, Dynastar Vokl Tigershark etc etc

Thanks, I am going for 155 as I will be racing on dry slopes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davehansen, YOU BIG CHEATER

*** Warning the author of this post skis dry slope on 155 skis, well every one else is doing it Smile Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fattes13 wrote:
davehansen, YOU BIG CHEATER

*** Warning the author of this post skis dry slope on 155 skis, well every one else is doing it Smile Twisted Evil

I got this information from

British Alpine Ski Competitions
British Artificial Competition Rules
BACR Book VI
Competition Equipment
Version Nov 11 : 20-Nov-2011

link from here:

http://www.gbski.com/rules.php

it states that for BACR (Artificial Competition Rules) races there is no length rule and for BCR the length is 165!

I want to ski within the rules, what rule would I be breaking ?

[/img]
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fattes13, Laughing

davehansen, don't worry, "nearly" everyone else is doing it! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gatecrasher wrote:
Fattes13, Laughing

davehansen, don't worry, "nearly" everyone else is doing it! wink

doing what ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davehansen, You are well within the rules and dont worry, its a running joke on dry slope races when you see guys 6'3 skiing on 155 SL skis you shout cheater as all 6'0 of you puts your 155 skis on in the start gate Twisted Evil

Real men do it on 165 SL skis, sadly for them the jessies on the 155 tend to finish quicker ha ha

gatecrasher, You know what I am talking about. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see, thanks for the clarificaton, do I run the gauntlet of racing with 155s ? I probably would, but you would still beat me down the slope!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davehansen, nope your good to go! I would say I see a much higher % of guys on 155s especially women's FIS ones! Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most guys on dry slopes and indoors are racing on 155's. Beware though, that if you do any of the indoor races run by Graham Beck, you will need to be on 165's as he enforces (for no sensible reason) this rule from snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I race on 155 storm infernos. Probably not the best but still very good. I think snowtrax have some pairs for under 300 quid with bindings
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As most courses are set for 155cm in mind they are king. Salomon 3V LAB flatdeck, Elan SL fis, Atomic RD d2 or flatdeck most popular in our group, the Elan has an old tr of 11.5 so super agile. Most set ups will cost for these £425+ new and a lot more for the Salomon and Atomic so look for secondhand if dabbling.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for your comments
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy