Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hip Rotation

Poster: A snowHead
A recent 1:1 lesson got to the bottom of one of my big problem in tackling stepper and bumpier off piste terrain; keeping my hips facing the fall line when my skis are perpendicular , my hips lack the flexibility I need so I'm having to compensate with torso twisting to at least get my shoulders facing the right way. This was demonstrated during some side slipping exercises. So I need to work on hip flexibility over the summer. Apart from lots of "Dad dancing" any other suggestions for exercise / stretching?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Joubert might suggest braquage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could try a 1:1 with a good Pilates teacher. In the Pilates class I go to we do some great stretching and twisting moves for the whole body, a 1:1 could maybe be more specific to the area you want to work on, although I suspect any teacher would recommend improving flexibility for the whole body, which you may already be doing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do this one quite a lot;

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks All. Some Braquage drills is what highligted the issue during my lesson. The Pilates suggestion is very interesting and I will follow it up. I spend a fair amount of time travelling for work and really looking for some training ideas I can use in hotel gyms etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kevin Stephens, http://www.ehow.com/video_7381205_pilates-hip-rotation-exercises.html
Terrible commentary, but these are good, not least because you're working your abs at the same time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kevin Stephens,

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/ski-fitness/ski-biomechanics-physiology/

Sections 3 & 4, specifically exercise 3b & 4b.

You may well have lack of flexibility in these areas but it could be you just haven't "trained" your body with these moves, build 4b into your muscle memory then forget about them when skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One we used to use when dancing (to increase turnout from the hip rather than the knee/ankle) was to stand with feet together, lift right knee with right hand to hip height, then turn the leg out as far as you can
( so you end up looking like this:

|_
| |
|

(OK, that's odd looking!). Repeat on other side. It's also awesome for improving balance (but you can hold onto something if you need to!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for all of these.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

http://youtube.com/v/Cj2gXCsgVtw
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gatecrasher wrote:
Kevin Stephens,

You may well have lack of flexibility in these areas but it could be you just haven't "trained" your body with these moves, build 4b into your muscle memory then forget about them when skiing.

Thanks bur it is definitely a restriction in movement range on one side rather than a muscle memory thing. Winter's coming fast and I need to do something about it before it's too late. Can anyone recommend some good stretching exercises specifically for hip rotation? I understand t is helpful to warm up properly first; maybe 15 min or so on my turbo trainer?

My other post gives an indication of the problem:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101618

Many thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the rocks, Difficulty with Braquage in the way you describe is often as much to do with core stability/ strength as it is to do with hip flexibility. The separation required to execute these drills appropriately requires a strong stable core. I would agree with the Pilates route. There is also lots of good information on Youtube.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the rocks, how did you get on with the exercises proposed above - a long time ago!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I worked on the rotation exercises shown in the video link DB posted, found them no problem with 50 or so reps but no increase in range of movement. In the meantime I've come to realise even more that this is cramping my style; so to speak!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For this to increase your ROM would necessitate an improvement in the muscles that create the rotation most notably the gluteus intermedius and minimus acting in conjunction with a stable core.
snow report
In reference to the exercise in the video, I would view this as a mobilising exercise that I would advocate at the start of a training or skiing session after a warm up, to establish and activate your existing ROM.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy