Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skithe3v.com Catered Chalet Company, Les Menuires 7 Official Thread!!!

Poster: A snowHead
It's interesting. They seem to have got the message about the sponsorship and its attendant perceptions. Their latest Facebook entry is backing away from it. Very PR-savvy bunch of people. They will go far.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/IlfkFsgmHvk

a few more shots of their laptops
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chrisb, Whats this criticism of the laptops. they are out there for a season working, im pretty sure every seasonaire has one to stay in touch!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
chrisb, Whats this criticism of the laptops. they are out there for a season working, im pretty sure every seasonaire has one to stay in touch!!!

Indeed and we are all from wealthy families who just have to call daddy to get home.........
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

Indeed and we are all from wealthy families who just have to call daddy to get home.........

Ah right, so because they may be from wealthy background being pushed around and not paid is acceptable then is it? I think they are doing this to prove a point. If they needed to yes they could just get back home, but then the owner has won hasnt he?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, just too many shots on the video with all of them having laptops. I agree with the cause. Irrespective of their wealth at home they have not been paid and the company needs to take the rap on their failed business model, so they need to fight on. Maybe I am just too old as when I was 20 something no one had a mobile or laptop and the internet was just used by engineering students..... I spent three months in Canada and each week did this strange thing called writing a letter and reading the Sunday Times 7 days after it came out... all very odd I know
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisb, So your comparing your youth to there's?. Just because the world has moved on doesn't mean they are wrong!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
this is a little depressing as our party is due to go out there in march in another chalet Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, I think you have missed my Sarcasm, the comment was not directed at you.
In case you don't know I'm a seasonaire so I fully understand how crap some company's are and an fully behind them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, sarcasm....... and i did not say they were wrong, just richer than many
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FB says they've won...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FB says they've won...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt, nothing on twitter yet i think
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisb, on twitter now, so they get half now and half at end of month.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That Lucy chick in the YT vid is semi-hot. And Raffles the dog is cool. But this was dragging on way too long.

TFIIO. It was getting tiresome.
snow report
Whitegold, Lucy is a great girl, not got a clue whos the dog is though!!! yes they have won, WOOHOO!!!
latest report
Reading between the lines it seems like they're going to get paid for actual hours worked which would be more than the monies they were originally asking for I suspect.

I am however suspicious of them recieving the outstanding amount, with rules and stipulations laid out on the FB page I wouldn't be suprised if the current owner bangs the company on Monday and starts up again Tuesday.

I am a pessimist though.
ski holidays
mollynmeg, im thinking the exact same thing.
snow report
Power to the people. WIN! Very Happy snowHead

All in all an amazingly good social media campaign and a genuine group of folk showing some will power and common sense. Loved following the story and hope it lends itself to similar TOs thinking twice before f*cking with workers who are already underpaid and overworked and just there to enjoy the winter lifestyle in the mountains! Sharing their passion with the clients for everybodys benefit.

LM7, I do hope you proceed to get drastically messed up and enjoy your weekend in your new luxury chalet home before winding up what has been a great adventure and no doubt a story for the grandkids in years to come. Go have some fun ladies and gentlemen!?! snowHead
snow conditions
Intuit wrote:
Power to the people. WIN! Very Happy snowHead

All in all an amazingly good social media campaign and a genuine group of folk showing some will power and common sense. Loved following the story and hope it lends itself to similar TOs thinking twice before f*cking with workers who are already underpaid and overworked and just there to enjoy the winter lifestyle in the mountains! Sharing their passion with the clients for everybodys benefit.

Yep Little Angel
snow report
chrisb wrote:
chrisb, on twitter now, so they get half now and half at end of month.

Not a chance. 100% cash upfront or nothing. If they accept a delayed payment from a company they have pushed this far, they are never getting a penny.

If it was me as the knobhead employer, once out of the chalet (and presumably out of the country) I'd tell them to stick it. The media will move on within 24 hours of them leaving the chalet, nobody will even report that they didn't actually get paid.

I'd also think about how good a season it could be to have a chalet to yourselves for quite some weeks. At the current rate I reckon they could just keep rejecting the offers. It's what I'd try to do - another week or two of skiing is worth more than the cash payout.
snow conditions
From their Facebook page they appear to have some guarantees -

Quote:
After a four hour meeting the company has had to back down over it’s miserly offer and has had to stump up some serious dosh. We’ve received half of what we are owed in cash and the rest will follow at the end of the month. This will be overseen by the French authorities who will enforce payment. Failure to pay the sums due (which they have worked out – not us or the company – based on hours worked) will result in a large fine for skithe3v. In addition, we believe the company have had to register in France for tax purposes and will have to formally employ all future staff, declare them, pay taxes and social security on their wages and keep proper records of hours worked
latest report
Could this be the end of the UK chalet business model in France?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Not a bad thing,if it hastens the end of the 'fly by night,quick buck' brigade?We now have two recent examples of shady companies ripping off employees/customers...there will be others no doubt.
latest report
snowskisnow wrote:

Not a bad thing,if it hastens the end of the 'fly by night,quick buck' brigade?We now have two recent examples of shady companies ripping off employees/customers...there will be others no doubt.

Really? are you willing to pay twice as much for your holiday if we get employed under French Employment laws and taxes.
For a start the companies would have to employ twice as many staff to cover for the week (only a 32hr working week) then pay taxes here and in the UK.

What would happen it will die in France and start in Italy/Austria?
snow report
Dwarf Vader, it exists here in Austria... but not many people can be othered to look beyond their noses....
I don't think many big companies will offer it as the laws are already pretty officious out here with what can and what can't be done with a property type.
snow report
Dwarf Vader wrote:
snowskisnow wrote:

Really? are you willing to pay twice as much for your holiday if we get employed under French Employment laws and taxes.
For a start the companies would have to employ twice as many staff to cover for the week (only a 32hr working week) then pay taxes here and in the UK.

Or look at it the other way. We have this 'seasonaire culture' which has developed into people accepting a wage as little as €160/month which is often less than one euro per hour in exchange for 'the package' of accom, food, lift pass, equipment and insurance.

To be honest its almost exploitation, not to mention borderline illegal. I am told the large TOs pay french minimum wage then 2 days later subtract around 800-1000 euros, so the staff are left with their tiny wage and the company does not break any laws.
ski holidays
Skola, How do they justify the subtraction?

I know of a Bar that works to french laws and they don't seem to suffer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
does anyone know if skithe3v are still open for business being unlucky enough to be out with them in march
snow report
Skola wrote:
To be honest its almost exploitation, not to mention borderline illegal.

And you didn't realise that before you signed up Puzzled Your problems aside,the description 'seasonaire culture' is spot on,but it cuts both ways.You accept paltry wages(I prefer pocket money),for a lifestyle of mountains,skiing,an experience.Your employer accepts that this is your primary reason for doing it,not a career choice.They know that,in the main,you want to ski,get trollied with your mates,perhaps a bit of bonding,who knows.Its a deal struck between both parties,where each knows(basically)what they can expect from the other.
You're not going to get rich on it,but its an experience I would have liked to have enjoyed.Sadly now too old and with ties Sad
My daughter did a season in La Plagne as a nanny.Worked stupid hours for a pittance,shared a chalet with a gang of drunks and nympho's,came back skint....and loved every minute of it.The 'experience' changed her,and flew open employment doors.Best thing she ever did...in her opinion,and mine.
If it were just a job,no one would do it.But its not,is it wink
latest report
Could this episode remove the alleged loopholes in employment law resulting in UK workers in The Alps getting French national minimum wage? The LM7 press release is quite an interesting read.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, you apparently sign some sort of agreement that the money they subtract is a fee covering your rent food lift pass and insurance but if you price it all up its a really crappy deal

snowskisnow, I knew to expect the poor wage and working conditions but wasnt aware of its questionable legality and how much better french contracted wages and staff accomodation are. You make a valid point, an agreement is made but the majority of seasonaires still really get ripped off. The TOs get rediculously cheap labour and the staff get...mandatory unpaid overtime.

If you know what your doing you can actually get a decent deal - I know people who work in restraunts and bars who get about €600 per month plus food and accom and can ski every day.

Ah well, at least people get to do a season. I suppose I dont have the most unbiased view on things Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Reality is they may be getting paid toffee all, but there is no shortage of people prepared to work for TOs - they turn down hundreds of applications every season.

I am prepared to pay a premium for higher qualified, capable seasonnaires, what some operators seem keen to do is recruit 18 year olds with no experience of the service industry, give them a week of training, and expect them to deliver world class service. Well, they can try very hard, they can be lovely kids, but catering for 20 people providing 3 course meals is not an easy thing to do for even an experienced host.

Perhaps this will force operators into trying to sell themselves on their merits, instead of just cutting prices and passing on the screw-over.

Whatever happens, it may mean a can of worms has been opened with the authorities. How silly for skithe3v.
snow conditions
Certainly a lesson learnt for the cowboys, sack your staff one at a time, and make sure you pull the plug in the Internet just after the sacking email hits the in box.
snow report
chrisb, looks like having a lap top didn't go against them.

**sent from Canada using my second hand laptop that I was donated so I could keep in touch with family and friends whilst out here for the season that I payed for myself after saving up for 2 years**
snow conditions
jbob wrote:
, and make sure you pull the plug in the Internet just after the sacking email hits the in box.

There's always a way where the youngsters are concerned .
latest report
It will be interesting to see what effect this has on other TOs...

I suppose they will go with paying the wages then make a subtraction for lift pass, accom etc. as outlined above but the whole registering in France for tax and so on will presumably have a big impact (?).
ski holidays
I suspect unless the french authorities starting tackling the large TOs or another similar issue arises with staff teh chalet companies will continue on as before. I've always felt they are vulnerable, to claims under the national minimum wage (of either UK or France). I suspect one way they will now address this is to increase the top line wage but not include the benefits as part of the package. A seasons' accomodation, food, lift pass, equipment hire will then be charged or not provided. I will let you know how our holiday goes all being well
ski holidays
marksavoie, hi...can you help my son and his colleagues working in courchevel 1850.they are employed in a chalet hotel but have seperate accommodation. there are 7 of them and yesterday 5 of them were treated by the doctor for chest infections and vomiting. this is due to the appalling conditions that they are living in. i have pictures of black mould and water in all the rooms...its a health hazard and contrary to the health and safety at work act. they have repeatedly requested an alternative place to sleep...but the company has done nothing. i contacted the company yesterday on their behalf...only to be told it was basically none of my business...and that they would look into it! which they havnt.
i really feel their plight should be flagged up in the local press to force them to take action. they have been given sick notes by the doctor...but are still expected to work as there are no staff to cover.!!!...most of them are chefs and kitchen porters.
would really appreciate any local numbers of reporters and newspapers.
snow conditions
perhaps post on their facebook page
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy