Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rising early to make the first lift and on the slopes until 5pm is a thing of the past

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The ones I've seen in France look like local bye-laws. We get the same thing prohibiting access to footpaths sometimes, when potentially dangerous work (e.g. building chairlifts, helicopters carrying buckets of concrete, big earth movers etc) are underway. I think there are sometimes restrictions on how much wild food (e.g. ceps) can be gathered, to stop commercial operations stripping the hillsides.

And absolutely loads and loads of laws,everywhere, about how much fish you are allowed to take out of the sea!! And you are not allowed to cycle or walk on the motorway. Or to drive a motorcycle or cycle on a footpath. It's hardly unprecedented to have legal restrictions on where people are allowed to be!

So I wouldn't doubt their jurisdiction to tell people they must not be on the pistes after certain hours (I imagine they don't have any problem with people trekking around the other 99.9% of the terrain).

Personally, I'm very happy to know that piste bashers aren't on open pistes. So what, if they get a bit cut up at the end of the day? Not half as cut up as a child who has tangled with one (as one did just last year IIRC?).

Also in France, of course, the communes do own large tracts of hillsides and forests.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Frankly I'm not sure lift companies have the right to actually forbid you from being on the mountain (not like they own it!!)

In North America they do.

Yes.

The land is often (long) leased, from the Parks Authority etc, hence the boundary tape around the area. At some hills accompanied by warnings of trespassing, and arrest, should you 'freelance', or even excede the area boundary.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can vouch for Austria doing mid afternoon grooming on open runs. Personally I quite like it if I'm feeling a bit knackered at the end of the day some nice fluffed up 'roy is ok (and much softer than it is in the morning when it's had time to set). Not sure I really see the benefit to the resort however if people are going to immediately dig trenches in it as they'll still need another pass.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe people doing a season or several weeks in resorts can afford not to do first to last lift skiing, but I can't.
I am over 30, and I get up for 1st lift, hangover or not, and bar a lunch stop (get into restaurant, eat, go..no long coffee break), I'll be boarding till last lift.

We spend hundreds or more on an expensive hobby, surely making the most of it is the thing to do?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kooky wrote:
just a word of advice, in some parts of Austria the work with the wenches begins at about 5.30pm and believe me, you do not want to be skiing down when they are doing this.

Agree. I would certainly rather be in the bar watching them at work.....serving all that lovely beer.....mmmmmm Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm ancient, and like skiing from 9.00 (not first lift, early mornings are not my best time...) till lift closure. I take a good hour for lunch, but don't like taking other drinks breaks unless forced indoors by cold temps. Had to take the odd coffee break in Whistler last year, otherwise my hands would have dropped off!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chasseur, Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It depends on the day for me.

With the kids a full day is easy to do. With mates, a full day is also fairly easy, although I'll feel it by the time the lifts shut.

But a day in the bumps or tougher off piste conditions just isn't a good idea anymore; after five hours my legs are gone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc, fair point - of course it depends on the actual type of skiing one's been doing. I can remember doing a two hour bumps clinic on the last EoSB and could scarcely stand up at the end, let alone ski!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
fatbob wrote:
parlor, Bollux. You must spend at least 2 hours deciding what colour kecks to wear and reflecting on how awesome you are wink

Amateur. I spend weeks planning my outfits IN ADVANCE.

The last time I skied with Arno, we hit first lifts and got back to the car, with skis on (after non-stop skiing) at 8pm. Shame it got dark around 4. Embarassed And Arno turned 30 a short while ago NehNeh

last time i saw parlor, he cried off skiing and we went and stuffed our faces with sushi instead wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boogwa wrote:
if i could make it out of the bed sober for first lift then i would be on them but after a 3am finish in the bars i struckle to get on the lifts for 10 then finish skiing about 4 when the apris is getting good

For my last trip this was probably about right... Lad's holiday with a group of 8 just out of uni was always going to be like that though!

6 of the 8 were beginners on morning lessons so we let them get up and out first, then me and the other guy hit the mountain about half 9 or 10 and hit up some hard reds/odd black then came back for lunch with everyone else. Also spent a couple of days skiing with some Swedish birds we met in the pub and they absolutely destroyed us (at skiing).
Then the afternoons were mostly spent pootling around with the beginners and generally mucking about.

Personally I really enjoyed that format, a great mix of getting some decent skiing in and having fun with mates, which is pretty much exactly what I wanted from the holiday!

When I went with UCPA the other year I had all day lessons so it was pretty much first-last lift then. Good fun but I was knackered. Variety is the spice of life and all that though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the work with the wenches begins at about 5.30pm

yes, that sounds like the average lads' trip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's simply too much of a joy to ski to spend anytime doing anything else for the two weeks I can get a year Shock)

Plenty of time to drink whilst watching the tellybox in the uk, whilist on holiday it's ski, eat and sleep Shock)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:
It's a thing of the past due to decrepitude rather than ambition in my case. Actually for anyone over 30 I'm always rather cynical of claims they go hard at it from bell to bell all week, no lengthy coffee stops, nice lunch, faff, standing around waiting for faff etc.

I second Parlor's speak for yourself!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy