Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rising early to make the first lift and on the slopes until 5pm is a thing of the past

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Rising early to make the first lift and pounding the slopes until 5pm is a thing of the past, according to French ski industry experts.

While dad might want to hit the slopes all day, mum may head to the spa and coffee room, their teenage daughter will go ice skating and her brother will check out a movie before an afternoon's snowboarding.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2102006/Ski-holiday-trends-Modern-holidaymakers-spend-time-slopes-time-spa.html#ixzz1mZHYuWW5
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could not think of anything worse than being in a ski resort and NOT skiing between the hours of 9am and 5pm. But then i only get a maximum of 12 - 15 days skiing per year so am happy to make the most of it all day every day Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a thing of the past due to decrepitude rather than ambition in my case. Actually for anyone over 30 I'm always rather cynical of claims they go hard at it from bell to bell all week, no lengthy coffee stops, nice lunch, faff, standing around waiting for faff etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunshine81, I get something like 40+ real skiing days (with addition to another 40+ days on skis, but this I don't count as real skiing) a year, yet I'm still on first chair on morning (sometimes that's 8:45, but if I'm luck and lifts are operating earlier for training, this can also be 6:00 or 7:00) everytime I go for real skiing. But it's true, I never ski till end. Normally I quit around 14:00 or 15:00 the latest... But no beer brakes, no sunbathing, movie watching, or whatever people do in between skiing.
In my opinion, if you like to ski it really doesn't matter if you get 5 days a year or 50 days a year, you still ski as much as possible Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, speak for yo' self. Razz
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
primoz wrote:
But no beer brakes

Yup, I find I have no beer brakes either....not able to stop after the first one... Laughing

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-02-12 19:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor wrote:
fatbob, speak for yo' self. Razz

Here here, I'm 32 and because of what I do I could easily outlast some young whippersnapper.
Although using the word whippersnapper probably doesn't instill confidence!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, Bollux. You must spend at least 2 hours deciding what colour kecks to wear and reflecting on how awesome you are wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
used to ski all day..up to 6 hours no stopping..energy gel or haribo for nourishment... but now happy just to have 2-3 hours great sking and then do something else. But then I have the luxury of only being a drive away from mountains.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh and think only ever made 1st lift once in my whole life..getting up early when not at work is a real struggle.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I could be persuaded into a jacuzzi if there were a couple of babes like that inviting me in.

not likely at my age so I'm stuck with skiing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
UCPA is for first lift and al day skiing for me - if I've not paid for instruction / guiding, I am in holiday mode and enjoy a little lie in and missing the first lift rush. With UCPA it is a whole different story - my friend once called it ski 'boot camp' - he's not far wrong, but it is worth the pain for the gain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not in this house!

I have 6 days on the slope, I make the most of it. We eat on lifts!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chasseur, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Boredsurfing, See? Look what's gone and happened... I start going on ski holidays for more than 2 weeks a year and I've managed to skew the stats... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I probably have 1 day each holiday like that. Even then its worked around family commitments i.e. a quick run before ski school meet, an extra one when back for lunch, a few more last thing
snow conditions
My knees can't take many of those days, these days.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
parlor, Bollux. You must spend at least 2 hours deciding what colour kecks to wear and reflecting on how awesome you are wink

Amateur. I spend weeks planning my outfits IN ADVANCE.

The last time I skied with Arno, we hit first lifts and got back to the car, with skis on (after non-stop skiing) at 8pm. Shame it got dark around 4. Embarassed And Arno turned 30 a short while ago NehNeh
snow report
Boredsurfing, if it's in the Daily Mail it must be true Twisted Evil

fatbob, speak for yourself. I'm still catching up on all the skiing I didn't do before I was 30 NehNeh I'm fitter now than I was then. Some faff maybe but probably a darn sight less than the teens showing off to each other.
snow report
If staying on the slopes past 5pm interests you then have a look at this video uploaded to YT today
Very cool idea, obviously from an arty view, not a practical one.
I imagine that he can not see much, but it is certainly unique.

<iframe></iframe>

http://youtube.com/v/aIX3ntiTV-g
ski holidays
Peter_K, Thanks for the video. Very artistic.

When I was in my twenties I skied from first lift til last. With a bit of night skiing when possile. Eating on lifts, hardly stopping for breaks.
In my thirties I was skiing with little uns. My mum was a star and used to mind them so we could ski longer, but it still meant longer lunches and spending time with them while they learned to ski. We got back a bit late to meet the little uns after their ski lesson one time and they'd pooled their money to go to a bar for hot chocolates and fries. They knew we'd find them there. Very cute.
Now in my (early!) forties. The little uns are grown up teens and will no doubt want to be off getting loads of skiing in. I wonder if they'll wait for me!
latest report
Peter_K,

It's so dark he didn't even notice he lost a ski!! Laughing
latest report
Peter_K that´s an amazing image,, just a word of advice, in some parts of Austria the work with the winches begins at about 5.30pm and believe me, you do not want to be skiing down when they are doing this.
ski holidays
Hell no- we don't leave until we're ready- lie ins and fry ups de rigeur. Let the icy patches warm up firat
snow report
there was at least one person killed by a piste basher after the lifts closed in the last year or so, wasn't there?. There are very stern notices all round our area, including all the mountain restaurants, prohibiting anybody being on the slopes once they are shut. Even during the day nobody is allowed on a slope which is being pisted. I mis-read some signs, after heavy snowfall a few weeks ago, and ended up on a piste where the bashers were coming up. I stopped at the side and was waved down by the piste basher driver. He was very polite, asked me to wait till his colleagues had driven up, then to ski down before they came back down again. I was apologetic and it must have been obvious that I had just made a daft mistake. Embarassed At the end of the day the pisteurs sweep all the slopes and will brook no argument from anybody fannying around. One of my OH's nephews was doing just that one day, actually down on one knee to propose.... the pisteur was suitably impressed but waited patiently till she'd said "Yes" and then booted them down the slope where, having been primed in advance, we had the champagne sitting out in the snow ready.

I very rarely stay out till lifts close, especially in January. It gets dark and cold and miserable so quickly.
snow report
Nadenoodlee, Quite right Very Happy
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
Rising early to make the first lift

the closest you get to first lift is looking at it out the lounge window Laughing
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, real skiers will skin up the mountain before all the lifts open and the tourist rabble arrive wink Twisted Evil

Seriously though, I very rarely miss first lift, the first hour on the hill is more than worth the early get up, on Dachstein they do a "sunrise" ski day once a month, you go up at 5am and watch the sunrise over the Dachstein, have a breakfast and then ski, it´s magnificent...well, if the weather plays ball that is

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would just like to point out that that is definitely not me on the video. I am no boarder and the closest I have come to skiing In the dark is the run down from the mooserwirt in St Anton.
snow conditions
primoz, whoops! I forgot to factor in a beer stop Laughing
snow conditions
Peter_K, I can´t tell you how disappointed I am wink

I just mentioned it as I had a load of English friends over recently who thought it would be fun to ski down at about 7pm after a good few bevvies, they had no idea that there would be cables across the pistes they wanted to ski down, possibly decapitating them.

Just sayin, the pistes are closed at night for a reason.
ski holidays
Quote:
Rising early to make the first lift and pounding the slopes until 5pm is a thing of the past, according to French ski industry experts.

While dad might want to hit the slopes all day, mum may head to the spa and coffee room, their teenage daughter will go ice skating and her brother will check out a movie before an afternoon's snowboarding.

I think that may be more an indictment of where we are, rather than where we were.

Personally, first lift 9.00ish, refreshment and fodder on the hoof, last lift 3.30ish. I'm beat by then.

Interestingly, judging by the stats from the BB, I go more, in less, not that it matters.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 16-02-12 23:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yeah, nice lie-in, chill out with breakfast, catch a film, have lunch and a doob, then head up the mountain to the park. Hang with me mates and put a few laps in (but mostly talk poo-poo or set up shots on my go pro). Then get off the mountain after an hour or so. Head to the pub and talk about my epic day.

Standard.
snow report
if i could make it out of the bed sober for first lift then i would be on them but after a 3am finish in the bars i struckle to get on the lifts for 10 then finish skiing about 4 when the apris is getting good
ski holidays
boogwa, 10-4 is perfectly respectable, if you're mostly skiing during those hours.
snow report
pam w wrote:
there was at least one person killed by a piste basher after the lifts closed in the last year or so, wasn't there?. There are very stern notices all round our area, including all the mountain restaurants, prohibiting anybody being on the slopes once they are shut. Even during the day nobody is allowed on a slope which is being pisted. I mis-read some signs, after heavy snowfall a few weeks ago, and ended up on a piste where the bashers were coming up. I stopped at the side and was waved down by the piste basher driver. He was very polite, asked me to wait till his colleagues had driven up, then to ski down before they came back down again. I was apologetic and it must have been obvious that I had just made a daft mistake. Embarassed At the end of the day the pisteurs sweep all the slopes and will brook no argument from anybody fannying around. One of my OH's nephews was doing just that one day, actually down on one knee to propose.... the pisteur was suitably impressed but waited patiently till she'd said "Yes" and then booted them down the slope where, having been primed in advance, we had the champagne sitting out in the snow ready.

I very rarely stay out till lifts close, especially in January. It gets dark and cold and miserable so quickly.

Hmm, have to say I've never seen signs like this before. I've seen plenty warning of the dangers and time of last patrol etc, but none that explicitly say "You are not allowed here after X hours." Frankly I'm not sure lift companies have the right to actually forbid you from being on the mountain (not like they own it!!) - although obviously skiing 'after hours' is completely on the individual's head/responsibility.

If you're careful and know the area/etc night skiing can be brilliant though. One of my favourite memories is hiking from St Christoph (near St Anton) up to the Galzig under a full moon, whisky and fireworks at the top, then skiing down Kandahar after. So much light from the moon there was no need for torches.
ski holidays
pam w, clarky999, I think the rules are rather different in Austria to those in France.

I twice saw Piste Bashers out in the afternoon while we were still skiing this year - there were a whole flotilla of them starting up in Kitbuhel the day I was there with espri, and he did comment that they were out a bit earlier than usual, but they certainly often start them while the slopes are open - partly to re-piste home runs that have got a bit chopped up during the day.

Pretty well every trip, I have seen them out at the same time as skiers at some point - but I've never skied in France.
latest report
I vaguely recall that in France it is now illegal to drive a piste basher on pistes while lifts are open, unless in an emergency.
Certainly when they are on piste in La Plagne and amongst skiers there is at least one pisteur on a skidoo in front warning skiers away and usually another skidoo just in front to one side. (I have seen them 'roadblock' a narrow piste to bring a machine up.)
Even then people seem to try and ski very closely to it Confused
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:
Rising early to make the first lift

the closest you get to first lift is looking at it out the lounge window Laughing

Embarassed It's a nice view whilst waiting for the teenagers to get ready wink
Last season first lift first day of the season first paying punters on it! Very Happy
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I've never seen signs like this before. I've seen plenty warning of the dangers and time of last patrol etc, but none that explicitly say "You are not allowed here after X hours." Frankly I'm not sure lift companies have the right to actually forbid you from being on the mountain (not like they own it!!)

In North America they do.

Around Flachau I've noticed signs at the gondola telling folk that winches will be in use from 5:30. I have to confess I had no idea what it meant till kooky described it above[/b]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy