Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Slack Country setup

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can't remember paying 400 for a pair of skis but then again I don't have a carbon fetish NehNeh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret wrote:
I don't have a carbon fetish NehNeh

Yeah, yeah, yeah...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skimottaret,

I reckon that the mantras are the right ski just too long.
I ski 174 stormriders (not very different in length to your allrounders) and 179 line prophet 100s (a lot shorter than those mantras, particularly as the lines are measured up the biggish twin tip). Mantras are great skis, not all that heavy and you should have gone a size or two down - you'd still have had plenty of float and they would have been a fair bit more nimble.

I'd recommend my prophets (light and have a bit of shape) but I note your point about twin tips and gondolas and feel your pain!

Sorry if that's an annoying response - just telling you how it is!

J
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
plums arrived this morning - they're pretty impressive at first fondle (leashes are pretty much worthless but no biggie there). brews in the fridge, friday night mountage action coming up Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, K2 coombacks on sale at S&R £299
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
barry, they come with leashes? or did you buy seperate...

jedster, your probably right but i am pretty tall at 6 4 and too be honest just looking for a more friendly off piste setup rather than an all round ski so will give up some edge hold and stiffness for more turnyness and general farting about hooniosity Toofy Grin

Neilski, tah but i will probably go with Head or Rossi...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, ya the stock leashes that come with the bindings are pretty poor - short and not a very tidy way to attach, have an old tele set that will swap in nicely. other than that though, they are pretty sweet - you can feel the extra €€€ for sure
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry,
The plums do look good although I was put off by them not having brakes. Understand brakes will soon be offered though. Gotta be worth buying just so that people can come up to you and say "that's a very nice pair of plums you have there".
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neilski wrote:
skimottaret, K2 coombacks on sale at S&R £299

Gets a lot of good reviews and would pair well with Duke...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
Currently have Volkl Mantras in 191 133 / 96 / 116mm 25M radius with Dukes and although a very nice all round setup i am finding them too long too stiff and too heavy for slack country touring. I like a turny ski and am thinking of selling the Mantras and getting a pair of

Head i.Peak 90 132/89/115 16.1 @ 170 in a 184 length and mounting the dukes on em.

anyone have the peaks? any thoughts

That exact ski is included in a test by the French ski mag 'Alpes Loisirs - Tests 2012'. My French ain't great but I gather they rate it highly for performance, middling for 'accessability', while some text is liking it to a little GS ski! Maybe worth getting a copy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at the 2012 Mantra, they've added a noticeable rocker to the tip so float should be better than the older models.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
barry wrote:
skimottaret, ya the stock leashes that come with the bindings are pretty poor - short and not a very tidy way to attach, have an old tele set that will swap in nicely. other than that though, they are pretty sweet - you can feel the extra €€€ for sure

Agree with that assessment.

I agree about the leashes and need to sort out another pair.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
am leaning heavy towards selling mantras getting head rock and rolls or possibly rossi S3's depending on price and having ski drilled for both plumbs and dukes. tah for the suggestions
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hmmm new head catalogue has arrived for next season and the Ipeaks are no longer but replaced with something with a slight tip rocker and very slight tail rocker... 185 and 90 underfoot fits the bill and no agro with twin tips. order placed Toofy Grin will probably keep the mantras for a big day ski and use these new ones for touring thanks for all the suggestions chappies...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy