Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Slack Country setup

Poster: A snowHead
Currently have Volkl Mantras in 191 133 / 96 / 116mm 25M radius with Dukes and although a very nice all round setup i am finding them too long too stiff and too heavy for slack country touring. I like a turny ski and am thinking of selling the Mantras and getting a pair of

Head i.Peak 90 132/89/115 16.1 @ 170 in a 184 length and mounting the dukes on em.

or maybe some

Head Rock and Roll 94's 132/94/119 @ 180 19.5 @ 180 in a 187

my normal all rounders are Head titans 128/78/114 13.5R @ 170 in a 177 and they work fine for most side of piste stuff.

anyone have the peaks? any thoughts

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-02-12 20:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't come across many technical skiers who don't rate Mantras (or Explosivs before that) so I'm a bit surprised. Possibly Dukes and boots part of the issue? & of course I would say it but consider something a bit wider that's also turny? Presumably Head a strong fave due to proform.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, they are like fat heavy GS skis which on piste are fine and in open off piste but i feel in narrow confines like i need to horse em around alot with jump tunrs and use a lot of fore aft movement to get em to turn short on firmer pistes. Touring for 4 hours just about beat me...

i am coming around to wanting a slightly lighter pure off piste set up and i dont really need a fatter that 90 as i am old school and dont mind sinking a bit and find the wider skis with wobbly touring boots not a pleasant ride and am thinking something around 16-20 rad would be good, DPS spec looks good but too much dough and yes Head cause of lower ££
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rock N Rolls cos they've got the Motorhead graphic then s'obvious wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, have you skied em ? they tick the boxes except for being twin tips... a bit of tail rise is cool but i hate twin tips that dont fit in gondola slots... got rid of karmas for that reason
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm I don't want to say this because I want as few people to have them as possible ("ovverwise dey will be well commn, innit bruv"), but you should probably check out the Volkl Bridge. I won't give you the specific link (so reducing the chance you'll get some) but try perusing the following link, which will also give you some others worth considering ;

http://blistergearreview.com/category/gear-reviews/ski-reviews

NB: I find these guys are a bit "deep snow" orientated, but with that in mind, they provide really good advice/feedback on skis. It's helpful that they confirm their weight/height too when thinking about width/length of the skis. Click the author's link to find it if it's not apparent on the ski review you're looking at.

I don't think they've tried any of the super light offerings, but Bridge's are 3680g per pair, which isn't too bad (he says, hoping they're lighter than the mantras...).

Bridges are currently £300 and falling, online, (though some lengths are out of stock with some retailers). Note that the 2010/11 (stupid colour scheme) is the same hardware as 2011/12 (Black, Gold, Blue) just with different artwork.

Binding weights (per pair), for reference :

Marker Squire : 1530g (DIN 3 - 11)
Look Pivot 14 : 2150g (DIN something - 14)
Look Pivot 12 : 2400g (DIN 3.5 - 12)
Look Pivot 18 : 2520g (DIN 8 - 1Cool
Marker Jester : 2000g (DIN 6 - 16)
Kneebinding CF : 2260g (DIN 5 - 12)
Marker (AT) Duke : 2550g (DIN 6- 16)
Marker (AT) Baron : 2450g (DIN 4 - 13)

Hope it helps!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:

i am coming around to wanting a slightly lighter pure off piste set up and i dont really need a fatter that 90 as i am old school and dont mind sinking a bit and find the wider skis with wobbly touring boots not a pleasant ride and am thinking something around 16-20 rad would be good, DPS spec looks good but too much dough and yes Head cause of lower ££

Scott Crusair is 90mm, very light, 18m radius, carves on rails, floats in powder. But doesn't make sense to put a duke on a light ski.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH, a guide i was skiing with last week had them and thinking about it further they tick all the boxes. thanks now on the short list!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, Crusairs with Dynafits / Plums.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, moffatross has Crusairs and seems to get on really well with them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, have you tried skis with a bit of rocker? quite a different feel from something like a Mantra but they are a lot less effort to ski - you don't have to apply the effort to bend the ski on the way down, which can be nice when you have tired legs and they are much easier in trees/bushwhack situations

everyone seems to like the Rossi S3 (I haven't tried them) so maybe take a look at them?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Volkl Amaruq or K2 Wayback

Not small radius skis but softer than the Mantra so easier to turn.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just to add, don't underestimate how much weight Dukes add into the mix

I have inserts on my DPS and recently removed the Dukes and replaced them with Dynafits. I'd forgotten how light the skis are without Dukes!

Maybe you just need to get down to the gym if you are sticking with the Dukes Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, have you tried some of the fun-shaped skis like the DPS 112? I've been wondering about something a little softer and wider and with more rocker to complement the Mantras for softer snow and they're on my list of skis to test. Clearly you also need to get rid of the Dukes (dibs!) and replace with Dynafits.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sideshow_Bob,
For soft snow I'm running a pair of Kästle TX87 Haute Route (177cm) with Dynafits. Soft but fantastic float for their size (comparable to the guide who was on 190 Gotamas). Where others could only straightline or sink I was able to put in slight powder turns without sinking. They do however get knocked about in heavier snow.
latest report
skimottaret, I know I am biased but have a look at the Movement Source its being used alot for touring as well as on piste off piste stuff pus they are pretty light at 1.75 on a 185cm Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
everyone seems to like the Rossi S3 (I haven't tried them) so maybe take a look at them?

Absolutely fantastic. And very good value for what you get.
latest report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Arno wrote:

Absolutely fantastic. And very good value for what you get.

I thought about chucking this into the mix last night.

Looks like this is boiling down to something at the light end of the spectrum like Crusair/tech binding or something chuckable with a freerando binding (at a weight penalty).
ski holidays
Something old, I ski on some 10 year old salomon pocket rocket @ 176cm 90mm under foot with fritschi freeride plus binding. Love my setup, do a lot of tree skiing so need the quick to turn nature, in deep deep powder and open areas could do with more float but that's pretty rare. I'm probably in the old school powder skiing, more bounce than floaty GS, partly the skis fault. Pretty light weight setup. Paid 125 euros for skis when ex-rentals and then twice that for the bindings. Also not that bad for piste skiing, but I do have other skis when it's piste only days.
latest report
waynos,

I've skied the old pocket rockets in powder too and had a blast. The Kästle TX87 are even more fun in light deep powder conditions (but unfortunately cost a lot more than €125)
ski holidays
This years Crusair hasn't impressed the testers as much as last years model.

test in German
http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/alpin-11-2011/291459.html
snow report
Other similar skis compared to the Mantra and Rossi S3 ......

Test in german
http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/planetsnow-2-2011/292403.html

German translator
http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/
snow report
thanks guys good food for thought...

Arno, i havent tried any slight rocker skis but i would very much like too... been impressed with guys skiing on the K2 (not sure which sidestash? or hard stash) and a mate is on Armada TST which seems similar to the DPS spec of a long soft rockered shovel and 18m ish turn radius.

Sideshow_Bob, would like to try some DPS know anywhere that hires them ? but probably too much cash to invest in....

FlyingStantoni, are the rossis on the BASI deal?

the dynafit seems a bit fiddly to me and im not sure i would have the confidence to put back on after a fall in a sketchy situation... although heavy im okay with the dukes and at the moment am going to stick with them
latest report
skimottaret, reckon the place in Chamonix where flyingstantoni bought his would do demos; Okay in Engelberg probably will too

you could look at DPS hybrid construction which will still be lighter than metal skis like the mantra and are a whole lot cheaper than the pure carbon construction. there's a lot of hype about the 112s (nothing to do with me obviously) but you might like the Wailer 105s or 95s. More traditional shape with an elongated tip rather than true rocker
snow conditions
skimottaret, yes the S3s are on the offer and a bit of a bargain IMV. Unfortunately I bought mine flat, so they don't have rail bindings - otherwise you could have given mine a go.

The Chamonix place does DPS demos and has Dukes on them. It's eminently possible to head over there to ski for a day one of the days you're out.
latest report
I presume that's Dave Robertson (Les Pelerins/ActionOutdoors) doing the demos in Cham? They got their stock of DPS skis while we were there this time last year but unfortunately hadn't mounted any up with bindings before we left.
snow conditions
Not tried Crusairs but have the wider Powd'airs with Fritschi Freerides. I'll echo what BobinCH says about phat bindings on light skis - the Freerides are far lighter than Dukes and still nearly double the weight. I'll probably shift to Dynafits in the not too distant future. Very lively ski and as BobinCH says, they rail too snowHead
latest report
skimottaret, BTW, Dynafit is really easy to manage IMV. It takes a couple of days of getting used to, but no more than that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have recently raided the piggy for some plum guides and scarpa mobes, gonna quiver-killer the plums between some movement thunders & goliaths.

should be arriving within a few days, then drilly drilly bakey bakey offski offski

for anyone who hasnt seen the plums, check these lurvlies out:

snow report
hmmmm

rossi S3 on BASI deal good price nice spec
Head Rock and Roll 94's get rave review by my housemate for the next few days and he can ski but slight tail rocker hassle to put into gondolas
peak 90's more traditional ski but doesnt allow me to try a rockerish ski out

plumbs look nice and if wanting a purer off piste/slack country setup should i go in whole hog

perhaps a new ski with quiver killers inserts drilled for dukes and plumbs, sell mantras and keep dukes (yet arno dumps his dukes)

or

sell duke / mantras and use cash to buy new skis and plumbs and recut skins from mantras....

hmmmmm
ski holidays
lol ^ sorry dude!

i'll be using the plums for slack-ish country, day tours, and the odd longer jaunt, just wanted something a bit lighter as am on ntn tele for bumming around the lifts and half-day tours pottering about. fancied adding a fixed heel back into the mixe and going light but still pretty powerful (plums go to DIN 12, which is good for me due to eating pies while gear shopping online). Your idea to run dukes and plums via QKs is a belter I reckon BUT for plums/dyna/tech you need boots with tech inserts - you may or may not already have, but if not it's certainly a consideration as the costs start to increase
latest report
barry, have dynafit titans boots... but you have given me a dilema snowHead
ski holidays
^ in that case my friend, your duke & plum & qk plan is pure genius, dukes for the lifts (with skins in yer bag just in case for an occasional half-day punt off somewhere), plums for everything else - day tours & longer). you know it makes sense wink
snow report
skimottaret, I've got those Plum Guide bindings on my touring skis and they're great. They are made by an aerospace manufacturing company and the build quality is fantastic - way better than Dynafits are nowadays.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, 400uro a pair Shocked
ski holidays
skimottaret, haven't dumped my Dukes for good - just this trip to make sure I like my W112s with dynafits; and the next trip because I will not be using lifts at all. i would love to be confident in the durability of the Marker F12s though. they look so promising as something that skis well and doesn't weigh too much but the breakage issues put me off
snow report
skimottaret, au vieux campeur have em listed for 350, assume difference is just down to buying power from AVC
latest report
Arno, ah interesting , i will probably be keeping my dukes (unless i can flog em for a large whack) but put in multi mounts to keep my options open. Im not too bothered about weight of setup more the maneuverability of the skis.

a couple guys were on the F12's and they "looked" okay and i really liked the ease of use of the height adjustment tab which was similar to the fritchis and way better than the dukes... one guy did mention something about a new rev 2 of those..

barry, tah good to know, will be in Albertville in two weeks must resist must resist must resist.... snowHead
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
FlyingStantoni, 400uro a pair Shocked

Now why is it that we'll happily spring £400 on skis, but not the same amount to keep ourselves safely attached to them... Skullie
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Now why is it that we'll happily spring £400 on skis, but not the same amount to keep ourselves safely attached to them...AND look all bling bling Skullie

FIFY wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy